As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a vacuum!

FembotFembot Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
It has to be not insanely expensive (Dysons :(). Under $200 (US) is preferred, though not absolutely necessary.

It won't be used to clean the whole house (just the living room and a hallway), however it has to be able to handle pet hair very well.

The hall carpet is standard "tight weave" (I don't know how else to describe it) however the living room carpet has a bit of "nouveau shag" going on. Not like the carpets of old, but a bit of fluffyness.

tl;dr (come on, the first bit wasn't that long): recommend me a good and not stupidly expensive vacuum

Fembot on

• PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bought a top end kenmore last year that did real well in reviews. It sucks. Or i guess i should say it doesn't suck enough. I read the consumer reports that the dysons were good, but too pricey to justify.

once mine dies I'm getting a commercial model. i think they're around $300 and if professional cleaners use them, should be enough for my house.
    http://www.sanitairevac.com

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We got a mid-range bagless Hoover, $150?, and it works well.

It seems to work OK, but pain the ass right now, as the small chamber fills up - new carpet. Should be better once all the loose pieces are gone, but right now I'm emptying the thing multiple times per room.

MichaelLC on
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a Eureka Optima:
    Amazon Link

I got it from Costco for $60. It has HEPA filtration which is nice for my allergies, but that filter attracts hair like a mofo and you have to clean it out every vacuum. Not a big deal for me but apparently it's bad enough for some to complain.

The suction is amazing for such a tiny vacuum (it sucks in pet hair 6-8" away from it) and it has a nice attachment with whirling bristles. It's tiny and the handle contracts a bit making it extra tiny for storage. I have a 600sq.ft. apartment so I just kind of have to keep the vacuum out. No one really notices it.

I'm way happy with it.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love my Roomba. It takes care of the hardwoods, the shag, and the Berber. My puppy sheds a lot and it does an amazing job cleaning it all up. We got it for a gift but it is $150. Plus you get the bonus of saying that you have a robot servant.

meeker on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I picked up a bissell upright last week to replace my canister. I've already found it to be a night and day difference between the two in what they can pull from the carpet.

I'm one happy neat freak.

http://www.bissell.com/Products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Bissell&category%5Fname=UprightVacuum&product%5Fid=CV+II

oh.. it cost me $100CAD on sale.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a Eureka Whirlwind Lightspeed that I purchased about 4 years ago after seeing that it was the top-rated non-Dyson vacuum on Amazon and it's worked great for me. The only drawback is that the mechanism that runs the brush roller is connected to a rubber belt which breaks easily. Mine breaks every 6 months. If you're even mildly capable of turning a screwdriver this isn't a big deal - you can get new belts at Sears for $3 or order them online and it takes about 10 minutes to replace. Some people though hate the idea that they have to "fix" something they just bought new. But considering that it's survived living in an apartment with three people with long hair and two cats (sucking up all that hair killed my last vacuum), I don't see an occasional belt replacement as a major problem.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Weretaco wrote: »
    I picked up a bissell upright last week to replace my canister. I've already found it to be a night and day difference between the two in what they can pull from the carpet.

http://www.bissell.com/Products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Bissell&category%5Fname=UprightVacuum&product%5Fid=CV+II

Do we have the same model?

It cost me $50 at Wal-mart. I have a long hair cat that never stops shedding and it does a pretty good job. It has washable filters, which is a definite plus. (No having to buy new filters).

DesertBox on
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The problem I had with my Roomba was that I spent nearly as much goddamn time cleaning the Roomba out as I saved by not vacuuming. Honestly, I prefer vacuuming to that.

We got tired of buying a new $200-ish vacuum every 1-2 years. They just seem to fall apart. Eventually just got an Oreck and it's been working fine for 7+years now. Expensive to start ($400ish but came with a little canister vac too) with but it's been worth it I think.

Friend has a lower end Dyson (picked up at Costco, about the same price iirc) that he likes as well.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love my Roomba, and I have a cat that sheds like crazy. Cleaning the Roomba is a bit of a pain in the ass, but with a razor blade and a can of air, I can get it ready for action in about 5 minutes.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Vacs I've tried:

H20 Vac
    Torndao Vac
    Black and Decker.

You know, this sounds weird - but the vaccumm that works best and the one I use currently:
    Wet and Dry Vac (ie. Shop vac).

It has like a gazillion horse power - it works on carpet or hard floors. Wet or Dry. Oh and you only have to empty it every 7 years.

The downside is that it's kind of bulky to move around.

I can get you the exact make model if you want - but I just went on amazon and found the biggest [Horse Power] shop vac that I could find on there.

oh! And it's great with pet hair. And Pets! It'd probably suck up a hamster or a small kitten if your not careful.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Weretaco wrote: »

Do we have the same model?

It cost me $50 at Wal-mart. I have a long hair cat that never stops shedding and it does a pretty good job. It has washable filters, which is a definite plus. (No having to buy new filters).

Might be the same. I'm in Canada so we tend to get different (or often older) models of the US stuff.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Demon LemonDemon Lemon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    what about
    'The Vacuum that doesn't loose suction'
    Dyson Vacuum.
    They are expensive as hell, but I heard they are the best sucker in the world
    *teehee*
    try that

Demon Lemon on
    logo.gif
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a Eureka Optima:
    Amazon Link

I got it from Costco for $60. It has HEPA filtration which is nice for my allergies, but that filter attracts hair like a mofo and you have to clean it out every vacuum. Not a big deal for me but apparently it's bad enough for some to complain.

The suction is amazing for such a tiny vacuum (it sucks in pet hair 6-8" away from it) and it has a nice attachment with whirling bristles. It's tiny and the handle contracts a bit making it extra tiny for storage. I have a 600sq.ft. apartment so I just kind of have to keep the vacuum out. No one really notices it.

I'm way happy with it.

I bought one of these for my apartment this year (the smaller green one). These work really well, especially if you have a smallish area to take care of. My roomate had one last year, and it survived a year of being used by almost everyone on the floor of my building. These vacuums kick ass.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rhino wrote: »
    Vacs I've tried:

H20 Vac
    Torndao Vac
    Black and Decker.

You know, this sounds weird - but the vaccumm that works best and the one I use currently:

It has like a gazillion horse power - it works on carpet or hard floors. Wet or Dry. Oh and you only have to empty it every 7 years.

I can get you the exact make model if you want - but I just went on amazon and found the biggest [Horse Power] shop vac that I could find on there.

oh! And it's great with pet hair. And Pets! It'd probably suck up a hamster or a small kitten if your not careful.

Shop Vacs are great, but the reason they are not really useful inside is because they leave as much dust in the air as they suck out of the carpet.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm looking for something that will suck the damned cat hair out of the carpet and off the furniture. I can vacuum out a whole cat at times, but there is always something left behind.

Why do I get the sinking feeling it's got to be a dyson?

DrZiplock on
  • RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rhino wrote: »
    Vacs I've tried:

H20 Vac
    Torndao Vac
    Black and Decker.

Shop Vacs are great, but the reason they are not really useful inside is because they leave as much dust in the air as they suck out of the carpet.

Mine has an changeable filter on it... that you can change out when it gets dirty.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Got an Eureka based on a couple of the recommendations here. Can't remember the model offhand, but it was on sale for about $100, and it works incredibly well on these pet-hair laden carpets.

Fembot on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Those of you that have a Roomba, is it worth it? It seems too gimmicky to be a useful tool.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    You need an upright if you have pet hair or carpet to deal with. As for a specific model I dunno, but those Bissells look like an okay deal for the price.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    You need an upright if you have pet hair or carpet to deal with. As for a specific model I dunno, but those Bissells look like an okay deal for the price.
    Not really, small bagged ones do fine.

Its a good idea to stick with a large company, mostly for repair reasons - plus, accessories will be more widely available, so when you need new bags or something its less of a hassle.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Those small bagged ones get way less power than an upright. Not even close. You can buy a smaller upright that'll get more suction than a more expensive bagged one.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH