As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Employee Lounge - where-in we discuss awful customers AND co-workers

• StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Its not legal in the US. I believe you have to accept all forms of legal tender (cash) but can refuse to accept a large amount of coins (paying $20 with just pennies).

That only applies to debts. Like say if you drop your car off to be fixed. The work is done, and you owe them money. They must accept cash. When you bring a candy bar up to the cashier you pay before you get it so it isn't a debt.

Stregone on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I only have half a day left at my factory and it's over. I am ecstatic.

SirUltimos on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    supertall wrote: »
    Refusing cash isn't legal in Canada either.

yet our government now refuses it for tax payments :|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    supertall wrote: »
    Refusing cash isn't legal in Canada either.

yet our government now refuses it for tax payments :|

Who actually pays their taxes in cash? Like, do you mail a fat stack of twenties to Ottawa? Or drop off a sack of loonies at... where, Canada Place?

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I spend the whole time i am at work, every day, on the internet and MSN.

There just isn't enough to do. Due to the way our roles are set up:
    Full time sales person (me): Answer phones, sell people who call/walk in junk.
    Manager: Manage, Deal with all emails and quotes, Sell stuff when i am busy.
    Tech: Be ready to accept support calls, fix systems that have been dropped in.

So really, i screw around on the internet/msn untill a phone rings or someone walks in. Then i jump into action. As soon as they leave i've got nothing to do. Hell, I'm not even allowed to chase things up for a customer, the manager needs to do that.

I get so bored.

noobert on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nubstrider wrote: »
    Me three, it gets pretty boring chain feeding a scanner ;_;

Don't whine, they blocked internet usage on my machine. To make time go by faster, I listen to the Penny-Arcade podcasts on a MP3 player. Sounds like radio, and since they last 30-60 minutes (unlike songs that last 3-4 minutes) the day is over quicker.

Djiem on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, today was pretty uneventful at work. One of my co-workers had someone complain about God of War. Not because of the gore or sex, but the fact that it said "God" on the cover.

Also a new SKU popped up for preorder: Jam Sessions with Amp for the DS. Sounds sweet.

YodaTuna on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Well, today was pretty uneventful at work. One of my co-workers had someone complain about God of War. Not because of the gore or sex, but the fact that it said "God" on the cover.

Also a new SKU popped up for preorder: Jam Sessions with Amp for the DS. Sounds sweet.

Tomorrow someone will whine it says "War" on the cover.

Djiem on
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    noobert wrote: »
    I spend the whole time i am at work, every day, on the internet and MSN.

There just isn't enough to do. Due to the way our roles are set up:
    Full time sales person (me): Answer phones, sell people who call/walk in junk.
    Manager: Manage, Deal with all emails and quotes, Sell stuff when i am busy.
    Tech: Be ready to accept support calls, fix systems that have been dropped in.

So really, i screw around on the internet/msn untill a phone rings or someone walks in. Then i jump into action. As soon as they leave i've got nothing to do. Hell, I'm not even allowed to chase things up for a customer, the manager needs to do that.

I get so bored.

Take up Dwarf Fortress. It passes work time like a dream.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If someone says SKU one more time, I'm going to flip a bitch.

It has become such a buzzword recently.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's quite a skewed view of things.

capable heart on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

His soul's been skewered by working so long in retail.

Lemming on
    edited August 2007
    Lemming wrote: »

I think the timing on that statement was probably a miscue.

capable heart on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

We can probably excuse this transgression, though.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited August 2007
    What does SKU even mean?

noobert on
    edited August 2007
    Bursar wrote: »

We can probably excuse this transgression, though.

Agreed. Let's see if we can't rescue his spirits.

capable heart on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stock Keeping Unit. A tracking number on everything so you can manage stock and pricing.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I worked last night, and it was all good for me, but one of the other people there didn't have a great time. She'd been there for about 8hours (she left less than an hour after I got there), and when I walked in she was eyeing a guy just outside the store who like like he was trying to steal something. Half way through telling me that she'd had a shitty week, a guy came up, pointed to the big fridge that we keep our beer in, and asked if the beer was cold.
    I stuttered a bit, choking back "No, it's a fancy new type of fridge that keeps beers warm", "No, that's just our display fridge", "YOU COULDN'T FUCKING WALK 2 METRES OVER AND SEE IF IT WAS FUCKING COLD???", etc etc. But the guy had asked her, and she just took this big deep breath, closed her eyes, and said "yes".
    (I'll just point out now that all of these incidents happened in the first 10 minutes after I got there.)
    A woman walked up to her while I was standing nearby and said "Do you have dry ginger?"
    She said, "Sorry, what do you mean?"
    "Dry ginger."
    "Do you mean raw ginger?"
    "No."
    "Ginger beer?"
    "No."
    "Ginger wine?"
    "No."
    "Ginger ale?"
    "Yes, that's it."

Thanks, random old woman, for really making yourself clear.

A guy walked up to me and said, "Do you have the Schild Merlot?", I said no. He said OK, turned to my coworker, and asked her the same question. What did he think, that it was magically delivered in the 3 seconds between the times that he asked, or that she had a stash of Merlot out the back that wasn't in the computer, and the other workers didn't know about? When she said no, he said "Recommend me something." (It isn't conveyed well in text, but say this in an Oxford English accent, make it as arrogant, rude, and dickheadish as possible.)
    I'm not exaggerating here: She stopped everything. Turned away from him, closed her eyes, took a big deep breath, and (still with her back to him) said in a really quiet voice "Price. Style. Region."
    (To make that a bit more clear, it's hard to recommend wine to someone if they don't tell you how much money they want to spend, and what sort of wine they're after. Normally, though, I would ask in a slightly more polite tone than that. Of course, in this situation, I'd probably be swearing and shouting.)
    There was something else that happened, similar to these, that I can't remember.
    Anyway, for the rest of the time that she was there I tried very very hard to cover all the customers myself, in fear that a volcano of rage was about to explode all over the next idiot to ask where the chardonnay is. IT'S IN THE FUCKING FRIDGE MARKED FUCKING 'CHARDONNAY', ASSWIPE!

On the other hand, my night was fine, and I just took photos and chatted, basically. Fun times.

AnteCantelope on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I say it because it's the only term I've been taught to use to refer to the relevant code that comes up when I scan the barcode on an item where I work.

It would be unreasonable if people said, Well I checked on that "stock keeping item management code" and as it turns out we were all out.

Sku is way easier and makes sense.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's the fact that people keep refering to say the 360 console types as SKUs.

The Core SKU isn't selling as well as the others!

Hell, I've even heard store-specific bundles called SKUs.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay well that's dumb.

but when referring to things that actually are sku's... what else could we even call them?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Unmentionables.

JAEF on
    edited August 2007

This is why i was confused about what SKU actually ment.

noobert on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So yeah I work in a Credit Union and I normally work part time but for this summer I've been working full time which is great in terms of money, I'm roughly making €12 an hour which is quite good over here! The money is great but the work fucking sucks, it isn't too bad as part time during school but having to deal with the same idiots day in day out just breaks your spirit :(

I'm not sure whether people are just stupid or they're sent by someone to piss me off, but people walk in the door and upto my window and just throw their passbooks at me and expect me to know what they want, I'd ask them and they'd tell me as if I was asking the stupidest question in the world :( it's so annoying and I always have to be nice to them even when they're basically telling me they're going to get me fired because they failed to send in some form!

Also why is it that whenever I have a closed sign over my window people ask if I'm open? Would I put the sign there if I was open? Or am I just doing it for shits and giggles? Sometimes people just walk up and pass me their passbooks under the sign, which is about 3 feet big and blocks off my entire window and then sound surprised when I say that I'm closed.

Thank God college starts soon and I'm back to part time!

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Welcome to customer service!

Guy just walks in from the suite: "the CD drive on one of the macs is jammed"

I walk out there with him "Yeah, they do that sometimes." Figure I'll have to restart with the mouse held down.

Turns out he didn't know that the button marked eject is the on needed to eject discs. Grr.

He comes in about 5 minutes later "Sorry to bother you again, but the sound isn't working either"

You guessed it. The volume was all the way down, and he couldn't figure out the keys very clearly marked with volume icons.

ben0207 on
  • CidonaBoyCidonaBoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A woman walked up to her while I was standing nearby and said "Do you have dry ginger?"
    She said, "Sorry, what do you mean?"
    "Dry ginger."
    "Do you mean raw ginger?"
    "No."
    "Ginger beer?"
    "No."
    "Ginger wine?"
    "No."
    "Ginger ale?"
    "Yes, that's it."

Thanks, random old woman, for really making yourself clear.

Sometimes, this is just something you need to accept. I will always hear some random slang that I have never heard before, I mean I remember when I first started working at my job, I had no idea what people were saying. :)

I don't have much technology related stories. I work in the resteraunt at a greyhound track, I take bets from 10 tables between each race, one race running every 15 minutes on a race night. The bets are put into a PalmPC and printer I carry around, and this is connected by a wireless LAN to all the other units in the track, so that odds and prizes can be calculated.

Last thursday, my machine just stopped working at random, followed by everyone elses machines in the entire track, the whole tote system was offline for about ten minutes, leaving me five minutes to serve 40 people.

Would they delay the race by even one minute, no. I end up going into overdrive (I have been sometimes described as speedy gonzales after taking an E.) and end up serving 36 of my forty customers before the race starts. :x

Worst thing is, this stuff is always happening. Customers spend quite a lot to come out to this resteraunt, but they keep getting screwed over like this.

CidonaBoy on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay well that's dumb.

but when referring to things that actually are sku's... what else could we even call them?

Games

Systems

Whatever

You wouldn't say "that new SKU Bioshock is in my car waiting for me to play"

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes... and of course... just don't stay. Does he make you clock out beforehand? If so, that's horseshit, and as soon as you clock out, you should be leaving.

If not, make a point of how much of a waste of payroll he's causing. I mean, really, he has a budget to watch...

No, we do get paid for that time. In fact, if you end up doing any "work" after clocking out, they whip out the time edit sheet and have you fill it out.

Also, he's not the one that watches payroll. He's the "customer experience" manager. His job is to make sure customers are happy, budgets be damned.

Aside from being too nice for my own good, the only reason I stayed is because my co-worker (who I consider a friend) was letting him get away with it, even though he has a day job as well as me. He's choosing to stay on, and I didn't want to leave him to do everything and not leave until midnight. I was trying to get him to walk out with me, but I guess he's "scared" of losing his job... at a time that the department has lost three people in a month (I'm the third) and can't afford to lose anyone else.

Right now, he can threaten management with walking out and they'll do whatever he wants to avoid it. In fact, another co-worker that's quit is going back during Christmas to do in-home services, which he wanted to do when he signed on. That's because he said he'd "consider" coming back if they made him an in-home tech.

I guess he hasn't learned the subtle nuances of being a dick to management when they are being an ass to you. ;-)

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay well that's dumb.

SKNs.
    Much easier to understand.

Sanders on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Reminds me of a coworker who comes in late every day, expecting everyone from the previous shift to wait around for her, and then whines like a three year old if she has to stay five minutes late so someone from the next shift can count their drawer.

ViolentChemistry on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tigress wrote: »
    Yes... and of course... just don't stay. Does he make you clock out beforehand? If so, that's horseshit, and as soon as you clock out, you should be leaving.

If not, make a point of how much of a waste of payroll he's causing. I mean, really, he has a budget to watch...

No, we do get paid for that time. In fact, if you end up doing any "work" after clocking out, they whip out the time edit sheet and have you fill it out.

Also, he's not the one that watches payroll. He's the "customer experience" manager. His job is to make sure customers are happy, budgets be damned.

Aside from being too nice for my own good, the only reason I stayed is because my co-worker (who I consider a friend) was letting him get away with it, even though he has a day job as well as me. He's choosing to stay on, and I didn't want to leave him to do everything and not leave until midnight. I was trying to get him to walk out with me, but I guess he's "scared" of losing his job... at a time that the department has lost three people in a month (I'm the third) and can't afford to lose anyone else.

Right now, he can threaten management with walking out and they'll do whatever he wants to avoid it. In fact, another co-worker that's quit is going back during Christmas to do in-home services, which he wanted to do when he signed on. That's because he said he'd "consider" coming back if they made him an in-home tech.

I guess he hasn't learned the subtle nuances of being a dick to management when they are being an ass to you. ;-)

Yea it really sucks when you wanna get back at the managers and you can't do it because other awesome managers or friends might get caught in the cross fire.

I'm lucky I hated everybody.:P

brandotheninjamaster on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So yeah I work in a Credit Union and I normally work part time but for this summer I've been working full time which is great in terms of money, I'm roughly making €12 an hour which is quite good over here! The money is great but the work fucking sucks, it isn't too bad as part time during school but having to deal with the same idiots day in day out just breaks your spirit :(

I'm not sure whether people are just stupid or they're sent by someone to piss me off, but people walk in the door and upto my window and just throw their passbooks at me and expect me to know what they want, I'd ask them and they'd tell me as if I was asking the stupidest question in the world :( it's so annoying and I always have to be nice to them even when they're basically telling me they're going to get me fired because they failed to send in some form!

Also why is it that whenever I have a closed sign over my window people ask if I'm open? Would I put the sign there if I was open? Or am I just doing it for shits and giggles? Sometimes people just walk up and pass me their passbooks under the sign, which is about 3 feet big and blocks off my entire window and then sound surprised when I say that I'm closed.

Don't let it get you down man! Dealing with stupid people is unfortunately part of life. I wish I could say it ends when you move up in the world but it doesn't. Best thing to do is find the comedy in all of it and vent often. What helped me was I bought a notebook and cataloged every stupid question that I received/ every stupid thing that a customer did (I wanted to make a calender), I called it the "Wal-Mart War Journal". It kinda made want to deal with stupid customers so I can add another entry.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Remember ages ago, when I was talking about leaving my job for university?

Well I handed in my notice, that's all confirmed, they've been cool about it, and my manager's looking into getting me on a part time contract, answering support emails remotely.

Awesome. Rattle through emails in my spare time and get paid to do it. She has stressed that it might not happen, and it would be strictly on a contract, so of course I'd have a chance of losing my income every 3 months, but it sure as hell beats going back into retail or something to make a little cash :^:

Rohaq on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Don't let it get you down man! Dealing with stupid people is unfortunately part of life. I wish I could say it ends when you move up in the world but it doesn't. Best thing to do is find the comedy in all of it and vent often. What helped me was I bought a notebook and cataloged every stupid question that I received/ every stupid thing that a customer did (I wanted to make a calender), I called it the "Wal-Mart War Journal". It kinda made want to deal with stupid customers so I can add another entry.

That sounds like a really good idea, I should dust off my old blog and start posting again because I'm sure some people would get a laugh out of the stupidity of some people! Also I vent as much as possible with 1 of my co-workers, I've known her all my life and she's basically my nextdoor neighbour! So we always have a chat about some of the members and laugh about it afterwards! Good times :D

Going to a party after work tonight so I'm looking forward to that and it's getting me through the day!

@Rohaq: that sounds suhweet! I'll probably still be here part time and if not I'm going to try to get a job in the campus' XBL Centre :D

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
    edited August 2007

Yeah, if you're actually in the retail industry and are talking about shipments and whatnot, SKU is right, of course. The problem is, the word somehow leaked out into the blogosphere and now you have all these assholes using it as if it meant "console" or "object."

I'm just thankful that the same thing hasn't happened in the book industry: "Did you hear about the latest JK Rowling ISBN? The hardcover ISBN totally sold more than the softcover ISBN."

It's equally retarded.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aliuar2Aliuar2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh my god, I love this thread.

Let me begin my rant - I tell you now it is horrible!!!

Imagine working with someone who can't speak english - is french, isn't an attractive female, and fails to read his emails!!! When security needs to be updated on a server and he fails to do it, and your application team is yelling at you, ohhh.... Wow.. it sucks.

Other then that, I love my job :)

Aliuar2 on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Overheard at target being spoken into a walkie talkie by a rather frazzled looking woman:

"Thomas, please report to the *something* department. There are panties all over the floor."

Evander on
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Overheard at target being spoken into a walkie talkie by a rather frazzled looking woman:

"Thomas, please report to the *something* department. There are panties all over the floor."

Please report to the Van Halen concert?

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

Yeah, if you're actually in the retail industry and are talking about shipments and whatnot, SKU is right, of course. The problem is, the word somehow leaked out into the blogosphere and now you have all these assholes using it as if it meant "console" or "object."

I'm just thankful that the same thing hasn't happened in the book industry: "Did you hear about the latest JK Rowling ISBN? The hardcover ISBN totally sold more than the softcover ISBN."

It's equally retarded.

I would slap people so hard if they started doing that.

Fortunately (I guess), 99% of people don't even know what an ISBN is. The best is when I ask someone to read me the ISBN on the back of a book so I can check for more stock, and instead of "189407..." I get "I...S...B...N...One...dash...Eight...Nine...Four...dash..." where each ... represents five seconds, because apparently it takes me that long to hit a number key.

elevature on
  • EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A SKU is basically code number which represents any object or collection of objects that can be sold by scanning a single barcode or typing in said code number. Think of it that way. Companies often use the term SKU to refer to the objects themselves. In accounting software, it means any Item, including both Assemblies (read: bundle packs) and Groups (read: Buy a system and we'll toss in a second controller off the shelf).

Cops' quotas: Seconded...or thirded...or whatever -_^ That nonsense backfired around here a few years ago. Some newly-elected councilman-bureaucrat-type-person decided that he wanted to make a CHANGE, make an IMPRESSION upon the public, to show how TOUGH he was on crime. Naturally, he did this by enacting into law an *explicit* minimum quota on the number of tickets the local cops HAD TO give out each shift, or else have their jobs and/or positions put in danger/have their ability to do their jobs called into question. The cops, feeling a bit ruffled by this (they felt like some asshole was using them to make himself look good, which was true), made a point of writing EXACTLY that many tickets per day each, and then finding a nice shady tree under which to spend the rest of their shift. The ordinance was quickly struck down, and the bureaucrat humbled ^_^

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png