As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's up with all the man skirts?

ASimPersonASimPerson Cold...and hard.Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
I mean, seriously.

ASimPerson on

• kavikakavika Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can't tell you why, but I can tell you it is an established Seattle nerd concept. There is a store close to Seattle that sells (mostly? haven't gone inside) just such items.

kavika on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's a store called Utilikilt that sells, you guessed it, kilts with pockets.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • SeanSean Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Welcome to Seattle, they are literally called "Utilikilts", as in "Utility-Kilt" and are becoming more and more common. Many, many men go commando wearing them as well - do not as me how I know, but I know.

Sean on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why couldn't he be the king OF pants.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The utilikilts were certainly out in force yesterday.

My favorite ensemble choice was one of the enforcers who was sporting his, along with a very nice little tiara and a fetching wand.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • kruxkrux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kind of makes me wish I had brought my Utilikilt. Damn. Well there is next year I suppose.

krux on
    perl -e 's++=END;++y(;-P)}\n?k++=;<+xru}?print: ??;'
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Utilikilts are AWESOME.

Skirts are really pointless, whereas there's some modicum of usefulness and productivity involved with a utilikilt.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Utilikilts? That sounds awesome. I thought there were a lot of scots representing, but I guess not.

smes on
    edited August 2007
    www.utilikilt.com

Every man should have one.

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not enough men wear kilts *sigh*. They are utterly hot, and it takes a very confident man to wear one. Are you listening ElectricTurtle? :winky:

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm sorry boys but I think that is just about the dumbest thing i have ever seen. I am NOT a fan.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    I'm sorry boys but I think that is just about the dumbest thing i have ever seen. I am NOT a fan.

Amen. Though I'm used to it, being a Seattle-ite. Utilikilts really are VERY popular around Seattle.

TrainwreckX on
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My favorite ensemble choice was one of the enforcers who was sporting his, along with a very nice little tiara and a fetching wand.

I thought the tiara was awesome...and then I saw it with pink lights on at the Saturday concert and I realised I had simply not known what awesome was. Many kudos, awesome enforcer-dude.

I don't know who made the enforcer dress code "black tshirt and black utilitkilt" but I approve. The guys I saw with one had the legs for it.

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
  • FatcapFatcap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It was a full on rebellion against fashion.

Did people all of a sudden get together and decided that kilts look good over the weekend? Are you in a Maritime or Scottish punk band? If not, then don't wear them.

Fatcap on
  • HoolieHoolie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought it was because it was TRANS AWARENESS WEEK in Seattle...

Hoolie on
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They looked comfortable at the very least. I'd imagine on very hot days it's convenient.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We had them as part of our groups Scavenger hunt both last year and this year. You got a point for each kilt spoted as well as each case of socks with sandals, and each case of "just admit your bald and shave it allready" However the points made off kilts this year far exceeded all others.

TheProphetElijah on
  • SkorMTSkorMT Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    actually their made IN Seattle, and not just a "nerd" thing. Nor just a Seattle thing anymore. But are for those that like them... But making fun of people who wear them, I think, puts you in your own little class.

O_o

SkorMT on
  • EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, it seriously is a Seattle thing. I actually didn't even notice until I saw this thread, but now I remember quite clearly.

Earley on
  • ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am scottish, and I approve of Enforcers garbed in kilts.

Not to mention that they seemed to have a dozen more pockets than my cargo shorts, for which I was ever cramming full with camera, IPod, DS, TerradriveLive stuff, swag, change, and sunglasses.

Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
    edited August 2007
    If you're male and you're going to wear a skirt (and let's face it if it isn't tartan it is a skirt not a kilt) then you are going to get laughed at. If you can't handle getting laughed at then don't wear skirts. But if you're truly "man" enough to wear a skirt then you shouldn't really care if people make fun of you.

That said I think they are the biggest fashion blight on Seattle since the flannel shirt tied around the waist and the long johns under shorts look.

PS. If you insist on wearing them out, and you are hanging with friends, make sure you are the only one in your group wearing them. I saw a group of guys at Kings the other day all wearing them, and I got to say they looked like the were a marching band who had lost their instruments.

TheProphetElijah on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    get over yourselves

if you can't handle seeing dudes wearing kilts then go find a corner where you can roll into the fetal position and cry to yourself about it

walk it off pussies

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    get over yourselves

if you can't handle seeing dudes wearing kilts then go find a corner where you can roll into the fetal position and cry to yourself about it

walk it off pussies

Everyone has the right to chose what they wear... but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited August 2007
    get over yourselves

walk it off pussies

Everyone has the right to chose what they wear... but that doesn't mean we have to like it.
    I absolutely agree! However if someone gets to express their opinion that kilts are stupid and gay then I also get to deride them for being pussies that can't handle people that are different. One of the reasons I love Seattle so much is the diversity. That doesn't mean I love everyone here, but there's so many different cultures here that it's easy to find people I share interests with and I'm not going to whine about something as trivial as how someone chooses to dress.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Now Druhim, don't get your girly panties in a knot just cause we're making fun of your skirt.

TheProphetElijah on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was going to get one but I am low on $, I was going to get a DS lite too to put in said kilt.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    edited August 2007
    you're just jealous that my legs look so great in one

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    get over yourselves

walk it off pussies

I absolutely agree! However if someone gets to express their opinion that kilts are stupid and gay then I also get to deride them for being pussies that can't handle people that are different. One of the reasons I love Seattle so much is the diversity. That doesn't mean I love everyone here, but there's so many different cultures here that it's easy to find people I share interests with and I'm not going to whine about something as trivial as how someone chooses to dress.

Hahaha good point. Yes whining about the kilts is as bad as anything else.

Also, of course you mean the WHITE PERSON diversity in Seattle, or Asians maybe. This is the most segregated town I've ever lived in, with the fewest black people. It's weird to me cause I've been here for 12 years, but I'm originally from Dallas, which had about 50% blacks, as opposed to Seattle's 8%.

Earley on
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Real kilts are one thing, they are a great piece of Scottish culture.

Utilikilts are just not attractive, guys. If you need big pockets, wear cargo pants.

Next thing you know, heterosexual boys will be wearing sports bras and calling them "crop tanks" or something.

padmeamanda on
    edited August 2007
    get over yourselves

walk it off pussies

Some things just need to be taunted. Nerd Kilts are one of them.

I knew a girl once who insisted on becoming a bulletin board for every nostalgic fashion item from the 80's. So we made fun of her a lot. Eventually she realized that the reason she kept getting the wrong directions to the places we were meeting up was because she looked like the stereotypical teen from the 80's anti drug films.

If you insist on wearing a fake kilt in public, you are one fashion faux pas from being demoted from "buddy
    to "that guy that follows dave around".

Fatcap on
    edited August 2007
    Earley wrote: »
    get over yourselves

walk it off pussies

Also, of course you mean the WHITE PERSON diversity in Seattle, or Asians maybe. This is the most segregated town I've ever lived in, with the fewest black people. It's weird to me cause I've been here for 12 years, but I'm originally from Dallas, which had about 50% blacks, as opposed to S eattle's 8%.

Yup, it's shocking that in the North West, an area famous for asian immigration, would have a large population of Asian's rather then a large black population which began in the east and migrates west.

I think the department of common sense is going to be working overtime on this problem.

Fatcap on
    edited August 2007
    Earley wrote: »
    get over yourselves

walk it off pussies

Also, of course you mean the WHITE PERSON diversity in Seattle, or Asians maybe. This is the most segregated town I've ever lived in, with the fewest black people. It's weird to me cause I've been here for 12 years, but I'm originally from Dallas, which had about 50% blacks, as opposed to Seattle's 8%.
    You know it's funny that you focus on white vs black. First off, black doesn't really describe an ethnic group. There certainly are areas where certain ethnicities tend to live so they're surrounded by more people they share a common culture with but we have some really good Ethiopian restaurants in this city. Aside from "whites" (whatever ethnic group that supposedly identifies), there's a broad representation of ethnicities and cultures in this city which is also represented by the diverse cuisine that people can find if they're willing to venture away from Chili's and McDonalds.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE MAN SKIRTS THEN GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

super... on
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You all talk down about the utilikilts, but notice that the enforcers were wearing them. I believe that those are the ones who got PROmoted, not DEmoted.

Nephirij on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fatcap wrote: »
    get over yourselves

walk it off pussies

Some things just need to be taunted. Nerd Kilts are one of them.

I knew a girl once who insisted on becoming a bulletin board for every nostalgic fashion item from the 80's. So we made fun of her a lot. Eventually she realized that the reason she kept getting the wrong directions to the places we were meeting up was because she looked like the stereotypical teen from the 80's anti drug films.

If you insist on wearing a fake kilt in public, you are one fashion faux pas from being demoted from "buddy
    to "that guy that follows dave around".
    I hate stereotypical people from the 20th century. It's like... why the hell do all you guys and gals look the same? Yea, that is a good topic. Current day male and female stereotypes. They call it "Fashion" but I call it "Sheepion". It's not "Fashion" if everyone wears it.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • PlayPlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Utilikilt is quickly reaching critical mass with the Enforcers. Expect to see at least twice as many next year.

Play on
  • JonmanJonman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    m'a proud owner of a Utilikilt meself. They're ace. Don't knock them 'til you've tried them. There's nowt like the feeling of the wind against your balls.

In all seriousness though, they are uber-comfortable. Not compatible with windy days, though. Trust me on this - I've mentally scarred some Japansese school girls on a tourist trip to Oxford through just such an occurance.

Jonman on
    yadda yadda humerous yadda
  • remigiousremigious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I found the manskirts kinda hot...which surprised me.

remigious on
  • kruxkrux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Plus it has pockets! Utilikilts rule.

here is mine

krux on
    perl -e 's++=END;++y(;-P)}\n?k++=;<+xru}?print: ??;'
    edited August 2007
    You know it's funny that you focus on white vs black. First off, black doesn't really describe an ethnic group. There certainly are areas where certain ethnicities tend to live so they're surrounded by more people they share a common culture with but we have some really good Ethiopian restaurants in this city. Aside from "whites" (whatever ethnic group that supposedly identifies), there's a broad representation of ethnicities and cultures in this city which is also represented by the diverse cuisine that people can find if they're willing to venture away from Chili's and McDonalds.

Thank you for pointing out that skin color Does Not Equal ethnicity. It also Does Not Equal Culture, another common mistake. One of my personal societal pet peeves.

And it's high hilarity that a community of nerds/geeks are debating FASHION. Stereotypically, we were all ruthlessly ridiculed for our lack of it at some point and it's not a topic any of us should know anything about.:lol:

KaitouAyashi on
This discussion has been closed.