As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat][WITTINESS GOES HERE]

The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
srsly guys, i need a coffee. Brain no worky. Think of a title for me, I'ma catch a bus.

tmsig.jpg
The Cat on

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cool psychologist story. Maybe horrible depending on your stance. (I'm not a very nice man, so funny.)

Little Albert was a baby that was in a hospital a Psychologist, John B. Watson, was researching in. So they took it upon themselves to avail themselves of Little Albert and see if they could research some conditioned behaviours, like pavlovs dog.

They put him in a room with a white rat. Babies when born don't have an inbuilt fear response to a rat, so Little Albert gurgles and wanders towards the rat. Unknown to him, Watson is behind him and just as he reaches the rat, strikes a steel gong with a hammer really fucking hard.

BONG!

This naturally scares the shit out of Albert. So they do this seven times, then they just put the rat in the room. Albert is scared just by the rat, without the gong sound. He's associated the rat with fear. Basic conditioning. They also learnt that Albert had generalised fear association with rat like objects (white furry things), including but not limited to a rabbit, a white dog, a fur cout, Watson's hair and a Santa Claus mask.

These conditioned responses can be extinguished, but before they could do this, Albert was discharged form the hospital because his other problem had been cured and taken away by his (unsuspecting) parents. Watson couldn't find where he had gone (this was 1920) so couldn't do anything about it.

It's entirely possible that Little Albert grew up with an unreasonable fear of Santa Claus.
    And possibly Einstein.

note: They got into a lot of shit for this in academic circles, and nowadays this would probably land a psychologist in the deep fucking kimchee head downwards, but back then there was no research ethics commitee to frown at him.

edit: double spaced for lazy asses

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's just a [chat] away

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2007
    Zomg! I've been sigged! I had no idea! This is the best day of my life.

That's way too close to the truth for my own good.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    [chat] needs more caffeine

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Intolerant of [chat]?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Aem, maybe you should distance yourself from this girl. What you're talking about is the type of shit that festers.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yellow [Chat] Bastard?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No witty lock post! DOOM!

Gim on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a catch a [chat]

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Edgewood wrote: »
    Aem, maybe you should distance yourself from this girl. What you're talking about is the type of shit that festers.

No, no. See, I'm much happier when I'm miserable.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In this thread, I chat.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I got an email today:
    Subject: Welcome to the Hellgate: London Friends and Family Alpha

PS: The Cat, I miss you.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Someone called for girl advice?

:P

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I got an email today:
    Subject: Welcome to the Hellgate: London Friends and Family Alpha

PS: The Cat, I miss you.

Muder Kakos. Oh, and, uh [chat] too.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »

No you aren't. You are just comfortable because you aren't used to happiness yet. I suggest you go learn, its much better this way. (Nb: used to be exactly like you so don't give me any excuses I'm a ignore them.)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I hear poor people are quite miserable. Perhaps you should send me all of your money.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

No you aren't. You are just comfortable because you aren't used to happiness yet. I suggest you go learn, its much better this way. (Nb: used to be exactly like you so don't give me any excuses I'm a ignore them.)

I know. That was the joke.

Brain no [chat]

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Stay away from girls of whom you have unrequited feelings for. It just is not worth it in the long run.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I hear poor people are quite miserable. Perhaps you should send me all of your money.

I'm extremely poor but generally quite content. It's a trap!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Romantically.

Romantically miserable.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Stay away from girls of whom you have unrequited feelings for. It just is not worth it in the long run.

But, but, maybe she'll dump her long term boyfriend for me! Right? That's totally a reasonable thing to wait for, right?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

Jokes continuously repeated have a way of tricking your brain into taking them seriously. It's no joke. Let go of the girl dude. It's your only hope!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Romantically.

Romantically miserable.

How 'bout you give me your money in exchange for a terrible time if you know what I mean :winky:

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    None of you mentioned my awesome second post story at all. I hate you all.
    <3

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

Jokes continuously repeated have a way of tricking your brain into taking them seriously. It's no joke. Let go of the girl dude. It's your only hope!

I just need to find someone else who's actually available. I just have bad luck, really.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

What if that girl is your neighbor?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    <3

I generally avoid text tsunamis as vigorously as the real thing.

Can you avoid something vigorously? I don't think you can. Goddamnit.

[chat]sunami

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

I just need to find someone else who's actually available. I just have bad luck, really.

Ask yourself how you would feel knowing that a girl likes you simply because you are available but until you came along she was content continuously liking someone else like a lost puppy girl.

I think the answer will guide your future actions. ;)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    <3

I generally avoid text tsunamis as vigorously as the real thing.

Can you avoid something vigorously? I don't think you can. Goddamnit.

[chat]sunami

I doublespaced it for your lazy eyes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

Ask yourself how you would feel knowing that a girl likes you simply because you are available but until you came along she was content continuously liking someone else like a lost puppy girl.

Girls like being used as way-stations though, don't they? Don't they?!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

Seriously, dude, you're gonna want to fix this. Listen to the lord of the mornings.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This one's called 'Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down'.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

It's not that I'd like someone just because they were available. I'd have to, you know, actually like them. Kind of important.

Also, it's not exactly uncommon for someone to get over their crush by crushing on someone else instead.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I <3 you Yal.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gim wrote: »

Not enough :^: in all the world.

Seriously, thirteen billion thumbs just isn't enough.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Brain no [chat]

Seriously, dude, you're gonna want to fix this. Listen to the lord of the mornings.

Goddamnit, you're fifteen, and if you start giving me advice, I'll start sharing our IM conversations with the whole forum. :P

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Brain no [chat]

It's not that I'd like someone just because they were available. I'd have to, you know, actually like them. Kind of important.

Also, it's not exactly uncommon for someone to get over their crush by crushing on someone else instead.

Sigh. I cannot teach him. He is too old. Too old to begin the training.

I'm out. I tried. :(

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    <3

Dude, that story's in every single intro psych book ever. Baby Albert is nothing compared to Harry Harlowe's "research".

It's horribly inhumane, but it's provided interesting insight.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

But, but, maybe she'll dump her long term boyfriend for me! Right? That's totally a reasonable thing to wait for, right?

No.

Look, I know it sucks, but the closer you are to her, the farther away you will be from where you want to be. Don't ignore her, but don't become her best friend either.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gim wrote: »

Not enough :^: in all the world.

Seriously, thirteen billion thumbs just isn't enough.

A quality album through and through. I don't really need anything else out of them.

Gim on
This discussion has been closed.