As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jam Session: Guitar Hero DS?

Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Well, not exactly Guitar Hero (it's not developed by Harmonix or anything), but it's the closest thing in the forseeable future. The Gametrailers interview guy claims a September release.

Link to Gametrailers page, with interview.

It's essentially a guitar simulator; the buttons control the chords and the stylus is used to strum. The default setup is acoustic, but by playing the tutorials and perfecting the songs within the game (really this bit is the only resemblance to Guitar Hero, but it got you reading the thread) extra effects are unlocked.

I'm pretty interested in getting this game, as I was thinking this week how I really need an activity that's mellow and can be eventually done without much thinking - I reasoned that learning a simple-ish musical instrument might be the thing I needed, but the cost of such things prevents me from finding out. For thirtyish pounds, however, I'm more than willing to pick this up, if just so I can have a mellow activity to chill me out at the end of the day. If I suck, well, by then I'll have Guitar Hero Wii to provide illusions of talent.

So, anybody else interested in this?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
Rhesus Positive on

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The REAL charm of Guitar Hero is it's songlist, I think. I'd have to see what is in this, and how close they sound to the original, before passing judgement.

Evander on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about the ability to just play your own music (from your mind or from sheet music)? That's the draw to me - I want to be able to play Walk The Line on a bus or train without carrying around/buying a guitar.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't this not really a game? Just a music "toy"?

I mean, I can see it being fun at first, like Electroplankton, but then getting bored with it 15 minutes later

Garlic Bread on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about the ability to just play your own music (from your mind or from sheet music)? That's the draw to me - I want to be able to play Walk The Line on a bus or train without carrying around/buying a guitar.

Sure, there's a bit of charm there, but I dunno if it's enough to warrant a purchase. I mean, I'd definitely download that as some kind of free homebrew program, but I already have walk the line on my ipod, if I really want to listen to it, so paying to be able to play it clumsily on my DS doesn't sound like a big draw.

Evander on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I remember a video of this from a long time ago. Is this really coming anytime soon?

What I would REALLY like to see is "Jam with the Band" to actually come here. Does anyone remember that?

Lux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    I think I remember a video of this from a long time ago. Is this really coming anytime soon?

What I would REALLY like to see is "Jam with the Band" to actually come here. Does anyone remember that?

I've been waiting for that game since the DS was fucking announced

One guy actually had it when he came into my store and he let me play it and I played it for a good half-hour until I realized the store had to close.

I need to import it one of these days

and then they'll localize it.

Garlic Bread on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's some videos I love over at (japanese):

http://www.dsguitar.net/movie_list.html

showing people using this game. Some in professional studios. Some just at work. I'm not sure I'd ever use it, but I like that people do.

DigDug2000 on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm looking forward to this game. I may not buy it right away if it's priced as a full DS game, but I'll definitely pick it up eventually.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    There's some videos I love over at (japanese):

http://www.dsguitar.net/movie_list.html

showing people using this game. Some in professional studios. Some just at work. I'm not sure I'd ever use it, but I like that people do.

It seems to play better than what I expected. Doesn't mean I'll buy it tho... maybe if I can get it for cheap.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this is the best video i've seen that shows how awesome this application will be: LevelUp

inthegray on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I... I must have this. I must have this now!

Sitting around a campfire strumming a DS while your friends sing along doesn't have quite the same visual appeal, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier than lugging an expensive guitar through the woods!

Anti-Sean on
  • chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Speaking as a guitar player, this thing seems ridiculously awesome. You can even do basic muting! I'm definitely picking this up whenever I get the chance, if only for the novelty of breaking out a DS on stage. I wonder if effects pedals would work with it?

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I must own this game!

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've had my eye on this the second it hit Japan... almost imported it then found out it was being localized. I hope... Ubisoft... doesn't fuck it up too badly.

Personally I want more shit like electroplankton and am pissed that there isn't.

Mashalot on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't wait for this shit.

KalTorak on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There was an article about this in the newest Nintendo Power.

They uploaded a song they played with Jam Sessions onto their Website for listening.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know how to play guitar, but I've wanted to try it out.

And now I can, without having to spend a bunch of money on a guitar.

Now for you guys to teach me to play it.

DarkPrimus on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guitars really aren't all that expensive to try out. You could grab yourself a learner acoustic pretty cheap.

This game however will be mine.

DekuStick on
  • LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, the full tracklist for this has been released

Link to Kotaku

* Amy Winehouse - "You know I'm no good"
    * Avril Lavigne - "I'm With You"
    * Beck - "Jackass"
    * Blind Melon - "No rain"
    * Bob Marley - "No woman no cry"
    * Bob Dylan - "Like a rolling stone"
    * Cheap Trick - "Surrender"
    * Coldplay - "Yellow"
    * Death Cab for Cutie - "I will follow you into the dark"
    * Jackson 5 - "Never can say goodbye"
    * James Taylor - "How sweet it is to be loved by you"
    * Janis Joplin - "Me and Bobby McGee"
    * Johnny Cash - "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know"
    * Marvin Gaye - "What's going on?"
    * Nirvana - "The man who sold the world"
    * Rascal Flatts - "Life is a Highway"
    * The Fray - "Over my head"

Those come standard: buy your copy from Best Buy and you also get

* Brad Paisley - "I'm gonna miss her"
    * Jimi Hendrix - "Wild thing"
    * Tom Petty - "Needles and pins"

Lemmy on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bob Dylan? Fucking sold.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Beck? Fucking sold.

Fix'd

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man I saw the "full tracklist" after forgetting what thread I was in and thought I was in the Rock Band/Guitar Hero 3 thread >:{O

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    That's actually a really excellent track list all around. Shit, I might need to pick this up. The best buy copy, of course, for Hendrix.

Monoxide on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rascall Flatts? Really?

Probably a purchase, regardless. I can't say no to Blind Melon.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Rascall Flatts? Really?

It's popular. And their cover of Life is a Highway is the only worthwhile song they have. I do hate his fucking drawl, though, they should've gone with the Cochrane version.

edit: Oh, what am I talking about. I don't think the game offers vocal tracks anyway. The cover is almost exactly the same musically as the original, so who cares.

Monoxide on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm probably going to pick this up, even though that Hannah Montana music game looks like it might be even more in-depth. Who knows if the sound quality would be as good, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This was at PAX.

It's good. Really really good. Like, I almost punched the demo guy and ran off into the sunset with the DS it was in, good. Can't wait to buy it now.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man! That track listing is great. I'll have to pick it up for the GF. (I'm not any good at these kind of games)

EDIT: Are those songs covers, or are the actual artists' voices in the game? (Like EBA) Not that it matters too much, just curious.

urahonky on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn good track listing, I'll have to get the Best Buy version though, can't pass up Hendrix or Petty.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Are these covers or master tracks?
    (Though, I think I know the answer.)

Still, not bad at all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am gonna so rule the stage with my two midi linked game boy bricks running lsdj/nanoloop and dropping freaky effect pedal loops from Jam Session. I love video games that actually do things. (I mean entertainment = good so entertaining others = More Good.) Definitely buying multiple copies of this game as I don't want to get stuck buying used copies off Evilbay for a gajillion dollars like I did with electroplankton.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Rascall Flatts? Really?

It's popular. And their cover of Life is a Highway is the only worthwhile song they have. I do hate his fucking drawl, though, they should've gone with the Cochrane version.

edit: Oh, what am I talking about. I don't think the game offers vocal tracks anyway. The cover is almost exactly the same musically as the original, so who cares.

That particular Rascall Flatts song isn't their most popular by any means, but you do make an excellent point regarding the lack of vocal tracks...assuming there aren't any (haven't seen any footage regarding this).

I also would've preferred Alcohol if they're going to have Brad Paisley, but whatev.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have played the Japanese version and I don't really see what the big deal is. The samples sound decent, but playing them over and over just sounds so robotic. I guess it is too much to expect it to sound as natural as a real guitar. I don't think the samples have changed from the Japanese release, just that they added some English songs to play along with. I could see maybe this being used as a creativity tool, but I'm not going to be singing in public while messing with this, and when I'm at home I would just be playing on a real acoustic guitar. Maybe this is aimed at the Guitar Hero crowd...

Hlubocky on
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

I... I actually squealed like a little girl when I saw this.

I'm not going to be able to wait for November to get that, though! I know you can just use a mini-RCA jack to connect this to better speakers, but come on! That thing is just too cute!

Anti-Sean on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So this supposedly comes out today. I'm probably picking it up. I want the Best Buy version, but there's a Gamestop right across the parking lot from where I work.

Sir Carcass on
  • IhmhiIhmhi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If only you could use two styluses (stylii?), there could be the hope for a bitchin' drum game on the DS.

As for the Wii, the possibilities excite me...

Ihmhi on
    Fortress Forever: The next generation of Team Fortress - made by hardcore fans for the next generation of Fortress Fanatics!
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My only concern is the apparent lack of arpeggios. You can only do so much with strumming. I would've liked to see a mode with six strum bars going across the screen vertically. You pick a chord and each bar represents a string's note in that chord. Add that with the ability to create custom chords and you have yourself a guitar simulator.

Sir Carcass on
    edited September 2007
    Ihmhi wrote: »
    If only you could use two styluses (stylii?)

'Styluses' and 'styli' are both acceptable plurals in English; styli is the appropriate nominative plural ending for the masculine second declension noun stylus in Latin.

My local Best Buy is sick and tired of me calling them about this game by now. I may have to disguise my voice and appearance when I go to pick it up. They're "guaranteed" to have it by 2 PM today, and the wait is *killing* me.

Anti-Sean on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm waiting dutifully for GameFly to send my copy. I'm torn between this and ...
    My only concern is the apparent lack of arpeggios. You can only do so much with strumming. I would've liked to see a mode with six strum bars going across the screen vertically. You pick a chord and each bar represents a string's note in that chord. Add that with the ability to create custom chords and you have yourself a guitar simulator.

I made a topic and got some strange looks, but I reaffirm: You will want to play Hannah Montana: Music Jam. I am completely, 100 percent serious.
    IGN wrote:
    E3 2007: Hannah Montana: Music Jam -- Second Opinion
    Seriously, we really like this game!
    by Nix

July 13, 2007 - It's not often that IGN's Mark Bozon is right about anything, but this is one of those rare instances where you should listen to something that doughy man has to say. We previously posted impressions of Hannah Montana: Music Jam on the Nintendo DS earlier this week, but to confirm that our glowing impressions were not those of a sleep-addled mind, we took a look at the game again. And guess what? It's a really awesome music title for the portable system!

Developed by Gorilla, Hannah Montana: Music Jam is a music title that lets you create your own music as well as play around with musical instruments and also test your skills in a variety of minigames. The music creation mode allows you to play each instrument -- lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass and drums -- and sequence together recordings for musical performances. The guitar portion of the game that we played was something just short of amazing on the DS, as you can strum individual strings on the guitar or stroke chords to play, with a convincingly realistic guitar sound with what you play. Holding directions on the D-pad allows you to adjust which chord fingering you hold, and there are modifiers on the sides that you can tap for more different sounds. You also have access to a whammy bar to distort your strums.

Then there's the gameplay, a series of minigames based on the Hannah Montana show. There's a lot to do here, including dance challenges, musical challenges (all different depending on what instrument you use), music video performances and more, all using touchscreen gameplay to create the musical experience. These minigames use a variation of the music performance engine, but it's simplified (ignore the screenshots if you're worried that there's not much to the guitar play) to make it fast and playable. The game's music is all licensed tunes from the Hannah Montana show, and although it's designed for girls and kids, there is a difficulty setting for those who like the game and want a challenge.

You may have to wear a hat and a beard if you're a sensitive man who doesn't like to be seen playing girlie kiddie games, but Hannah Montana: Music Jam might be well worth picking up for music fans. The DS version will be released in October.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)