As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Awesome Moments] Is My Business – NSF56K

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Is there context?

The context is that Kain has been paying cash for the top floor suite of the hotel.
    A Belgian prince has had the room reserved for months, and is now arriving. The hotel was going to kick Kain out when a bunch of robbers show up for a vault heist. Kain stops them, and the No Belgians is to allow Kain to keep the hotel room.

The kicker is that Kain has been passed out drunk (and now hung over) while the whole "Being kicked out" thing was going on and pretty much only woke up and dragged himself into his costume to stop the robbery. He is as in the dark as much as you were about the no Belgians thing.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Can we get a little context for that? It sounds like a very peculiar, very specific type of racism without context.

Kaine and his pseudo-side kick Aracely are staying in the presidential suite at the Four Seasons hotel. Earlier they were informed that they would have to leave since the Belgian ambassador had booked it months ago. Kaine ends up stopping some crooks from robbing the hotel vault and Aracely takes the opportunity to avoid getting evicted.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    "We couldn't put 'No Portugese' in the ad, but, uh...no Portugese."

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That was entertaining. I think.

sig.gif
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Still better than beware the batman ( it doesn't even deserve capitalization)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I really dug the action and animation. Can't really speak for or against the story seen as I've only watched that one. What is this beware the batman thing? It looks really.... Crap.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    I really dug the action and animation. Can't really speak for or against the story seen as I've only watched that one. What is this beware the batman thing? It looks really.... Crap.

That is being harsh to the good name of crap

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't see anything ugh about Bat Manof Shang Hai at all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm enjoying Beware the Batman.

I'd prefer having Young Justice back, but BtB isn't bad.

I am not a fan of the character designs at all, but the rest of the show is pretty good.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I was really bored by the first two episodes. The most interesting wrinkle to it was how Batman wasn't totally competent at his job, which set up him needing help from Alfred and later Katana. The stories were very run of the mill, though, with simplistic plots and characters that were instantly familiar even though the villains had never been animated before.

Also, this is probably the worst representation of Gotham ever. It's generic and completely devoid of life, which is especially clear in the first episode when the Batmobile follows Pyg through a street that has only one other car on it. I guess everyone in Gotham got the memo about the chase scene except for that guy.

Anyway, you don't get the sense of a dark, gothic, bustling landscape that defines the location and Batman himself. It just doesn't feel like a city, much less Gotham.

Robos A Go Go on
    Yeah the empty, sterile backgrounds forced by the budget limitations of CGI worked much better in Green Lantern because half the time they were just in space or an abandoned planet or a single ship and could easily get away with it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Transformers Prime has the same deal. No animals, no people.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Don't need no movin' parts in the craggy canyons outside Desertton, Montana.

8aVThp6.png
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Woops, must have stepped into the Grievances thread by mistake.

Anyways, I thought the Batman of Shanghai videos are indeed worthy of being in the Awesome moments thread.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    no, this is the passive aggressive metamoderating thread

(I too enjoyed the Batman of Shanghai)

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    So ...

Captain Marvel #14 was perfect.

tumblr_mr1a037WYm1rg6figo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr1a037WYm1rg6figo2_1280.jpg

And then at the end, this is such a perfect description of every great superhero.
    Carol couldn't fly. If she did, she'd have an aneurysm that wouldn't kill her, but would certainly break her mind and specifically her memories. But that's also what she had to do to stop Yon-Rogg from destroying New York.

The narration is Jess explaining what they're going to tell Kit, her neighbor girl superfan, happened to Carol.

tumblr_mqtcir0yFw1qerfito1_500.png

tumblr_mqta3h4ZDm1rfmzr2o1_500.png

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Second page Carol is the birth of some kind of horrifying new meme-face.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Mr Fantastic
    qID2T51.jpg
    8OMHrTL.jpg
    94GhRUH.jpg
    NPklKaf.jpg
    STjVoxq.jpg
    exqF3BO.jpg
    ZWd1BgY.jpg
    ht2gzZ0.jpg

And then:
    Ljrj5hU.jpg
    lAd0N8z.jpg
    ky9nY8l.jpg
    1cexDtT.jpg
    7GUDzMC.jpg
    fCkOYhm.jpg
    hybAM3b.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Reed Richards is often flanderized horribly

but when he is written well, he is one of my favourite comic book characters

he's the smartest person alive but he also shows an incredible depth of wisdom and compassion

• CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    That...shew, that was pretty good.

League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Agreed. But it seems sort of out of character for someone who blows up planets and makes clones of gods. Sure he's multifaceted but that story has PR dept written all over it.

(Not Puerto Rico Dept, btw).

Caveman Paws on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Agreed. But it seems sort of out of character for someone who blows up planets and makes clones of gods. Sure he's multifaceted but that story has PR dept written all over it.

Naah, that was the FCBD issue a few years back.

This was nice.

sig.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

I may be wrong, I don't read a lot of comics, but I think this from before the Illuminati stuff.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Not really. Reed is a person who will do anything for his friends and family. Sometimes its something simple, such as keeping a promise to a man who reminded you so much of what you have that you abandon all else to be by his side for his last breath. Sometimes it means killing his own soul and reputation, doing reprehensible things in order to make sure they all survive.

Its one of the things I love about Marvel. Their characters are complex with many different sides that can be expressed. No character in the Marvel U is ever locked into being just one thing. Even their villains get to be like this, which is awesome.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Shakey1245Shakey1245 Registered User regular
    I'm having a bit of clear out of the comics that I own and thought I'd scan up some stuff that I had.

It's mostly from the DC part of my collection and fair warning there is more than a little Batman.

From the 1990 Batman Annual: Alfred gets sassy with Bruce over his personal hygiene.
    7jhf.jpg

From the Batman Secret Origins Special. The host of a 60 minutes style show based in Gotham airs a live episode that attempts to make Batman look like the villain by portraying Two-Face, Riddler and The Penguin as being sympathetic, suggesting that Gotham's villains are to be pitied and Batman is the one to be feared. Someone doesn't take too kindly to this.
    orrn.jpg

From The Batman Chronicles #9. Robin and Batgirl work together for the first time.
    6frd.jpg

From Green Arrow #5
    y2w0.jpg

From Green Arrow #6
    8w82.jpg

A couple of moments from a story in the JLA 80 Page Special. A mouse is loose in the Justice League headquaters, having frightened Guy Gardener and given him a concussion, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold set about trying to catch the rodent. Sort of.
    2cs2.jpg
    mkrr.jpg
    l9nc.jpg

JLA/Hitman.
    Batman "recruits" Tommy Monaghan in the fight against the parasites from Bloodlines.
    6p8n.jpg

The parasites disable the Leagues powers.
    fqdi.jpg

sldb.jpg

JLA Secret Files and Origins #2. The JLA is restructuring and bringing in new members. However an old team mate has other ideas about who is in charge.
    ovz6.jpg

Justice Society of America #1. The retirement of the JSA has come to pass, with a ceremony in Metropolis being attacked causing Sandman to have a heart attack and Superman swooping in to save the day. Jay Garrick and Alan Scott are lamenting being put to to pasture by a new generation of heroes.
    rj6b.jpg

Also this reaction shot of Jay.
    v1ow.jpg

Legends of the Dark Knight #1. In a retelling of Batman's origins he encounters some muggers robbing a woman down an alley.
    7g9t.jpg

Legends of the Dark Knight #38. Career criminal Bob Overdog is dragged into the weird world of The Bat-Mite.
    2efy.jpg

In Batman: Mitefall Overdog has to help Bat-Mite defeat the Mite verse version of Bane. Bat-Mite rounds up help from the few Mite verse heroes remaining.
    h7vx.jpg

Sergio Aragones Destroys DC.
    aa4p.jpg

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Sergio Aragones Destroys DC? What a joke.

DC doesn't need anybody's help to destroy itself. :P

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Then we're agreed. The mouse must pay!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    AnimalMan_zps7e2e755e.jpg
    AnimalMan2_zps9832b012.jpg

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Love the sentiment, but not the art. Did Cliff die?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Did Cliff die?

Unfortunately, yes, he died later on. Like the giant guard in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Cliff's flowing mullet was caught in a rock crushing machine and he was squished.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Spoilers please.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Spoilers please.

As you like.
    spoilers ahead
    Sorry
    Try Again

edited August 2013
    Well I can't match most of the stuff here but ...

tumblr_mrkkmrUvdD1r1ortdo1_1280.jpg

Harley Quinn did just hit a guy with a monkey.

Amigu on
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

You ever ask a question, then immediately regret asking?
    Because that frame brings about a dozen such questions to mind, like immediately.

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    All New X-men is really making me start liking Scott Summers again for the first time in a long while

0mXy5wm.jpg?2?8401

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I see it hasn't been posted here yet but what is that amazing scene from The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck called when he goes apeshit on everyone?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    When he tears the steamboat and town apart?

That was in an earlier Awesome Moments thread. But I found it on S_D first. About halfway down the page. http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/328981.html

see317 wrote: »

tumblr_mrkkmrUvdD1r1ortdo1_1280.jpg

You ever ask a question, then immediately regret asking?
    Because that frame brings about a dozen such questions to mind, like immediately.

The answer to most of those questions would probably be read Ales Kot's Suicide Squad mini-run.

Also fixed the link.

QEz1Jw1.png