As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wal-Mart debate thread

Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Wal-Mart!

The exemplar of evil business practices in the United States! Corporate Greed! Outsourcing! Mistreatment of Workers! Sexism! Cheap Socks that destroy America! Wal-Mart hurts America!

Wal-Mart is unfairly treated! Wal-Mart raises a community's standard of living! Wal-Mart offers competitive wages! Wal-Mart is America!

Last week Wal-Mart opened its Facebook group, The Roommate Style Match. Within hours, its wall was defaced by users criticizing everything, from its labor practices, to its environmental damage. Some demanded that Facebook remove the group. Others, like myself, asked that Wal-Mart disable the wall, as it was not being utilized favorably for the company. Wal-Mart should not have to pay to provide a forum for its critics.

Even then, however, the debate is not going to go away.

What should be done about Wal-Mart? Does it need regulation? To be partitioned? Who should clean up Wal-Mart? Does it need cleaning?

Is Wal-Mart just part of the larger problems with globalization and trade?

Here is some reading:

Wal-Mart Facts is Wal-Mart's response to its critics.
Wal-Mart Facts

Pro Wal-Mart
The Ultimate Pro Wal-Mart Article

Critics of Wal-Mart
The High Cost of Low Price
National Organization of Women accuses Wal-Mart of sexist policies
Wal-Mart Watch

PBS Frontline has a pretty balanced take on Wal-Mart using moving pictures and sound! In color!
Is Wal-Mart Good For America?

Mithrandir86 on

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find myself having a constant moral debate every time I enter a Wal-Mart parking lot.
    I think to myself
    This huge sprawling box-like facility put many shops out of business.
    This massive building sells things from third world countries that are paid pennies on the dollar to manufacture.
    Then I realize I am very poor and cannot afford a moral debate about buying over-priced crap at Mom and Pop shops.
    D:
    The money usually wins.
    I also worked for Wal-Mart and their labor policies are really unethical.
    They keep workers just short of full-time, so benefits don't have to be paid.
    I do think however it is up to the worker to be educated.
    Also a plus, if you ever need a job and can find no other, Wal-Mart surely will hire you.

So I hate facets of Wal-Mart, but I also enjoy buying things I can wear that don't cost so much my eyes bleed black ink.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Didn't we have this debate just a couple of months ago?

ege02 on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The funny thing about Walmart is that they aren't usually the lowest price, as they claim. The items in the main aisles in a Walmart are typically the only real deals in the store. Ever notice how the 9.99 microwave sitting in the middle of the aisle is next to the microwaves? Well, Average Joe sees that, then looks down the aisle at all the normal-priced microwaves and thinks "Wow, these must all be great deals!", when they aren't.

Walmart has revolutionized retail, however. Thier POS (point of sale, not the other acronym) and real-time inventory system are mind-boggling. To name a couple.
    ege02 wrote: »
    Didn't we have this debate just a couple of months ago?

Yeah. But we got into it in [chat].

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a friend who's first job was at Wal-Mart. He paid his way through college with money from Wal-mart. He's now the manager for all the stores in either Delaware or Franklin county Ohio. Wal-Mart helped him make his life better than it would have been if he worked for a mom 'n pop store.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

We had a thread about it too. Not chat.

I'm ok with Wal-Mart. I don't see how it's any more of a monster than any other large corporation in America. I'd like them more if they didn't hire illegals, but again other corporations do that too.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    ShaukShauk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I worked for walmart for 2 years as an unloader/stocker, I never got cheated out of hours or felt unfairly treated, in fact I think it was the best employer i've ever had to be honest. I don't know why they try to paint such a grim picture of being an employee there. Perhaps you should consider something more integral to the operation of the store than a cashier if you're having trouble proving your worth as a full time employee.

Shauk on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »

I'm ok with Wal-Mart. I don't see how it's any more of a monster than any other large corporation in America. I'd like them more if they didn't hire illegals, but again other corporations do that too.

I've heard that before, but I really don't see the reasoning behind it. Certainly there is nothing morally wrong with hiring someone from another country, even s/he has not been given a green card?

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I've heard that before, but I really don't see the reasoning behind it. Certainly there is nothing morally wrong with hiring someone from another country, even s/he has not been given a green card?

Morally I guess I have to agree with you because my take is if there is work to be done and someone wants to do it, then let's get them going.

Hm. Well, now that I think about it a little it would be immoral for me to give a job that could go to someone who spent the time and effort to legally go through the channels to get into this country to have said job and insted I gave it to a dude that hopped a fence and ran like hell.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It has to do with the fact that illegal aliens are easily exploited, with little reprisal.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It has to do with the fact that illegal aliens are easily exploited, with little reprisal.

Yes, but that is a different manner entirely. Abuse is still abuse, whether you entered legally or not.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Given the unstoppable and near-limitless power that Wal-Mart wields over just about every industry, the USA and its government, and every company under the sun, I'd say that they handle it better than just about every other company who has tried to assume this level of omnipotence.

The customer is still #1 in Wal-Mart's book, and that's a lesson many other companies have yet to learn.

Being good to your customers is what gets you your $400 million salary, Dumbshit McExecutive, not screwing with them just to make your projected profit margin.

As far as I'm concerned, Wal-Mart is just as evil as every other company ever, but at least they know how to cater to the people who gives them money, and they are brutally strict about keeping prices cheaper than everywhere else, even when they hold monopolies.

As an aside, giving an ultimatum to the music industry to either lower their prices or destroy them was absolutely beautiful.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's the whole "laws" thing, mostly, and all the things attached to them, like regulations.

But the main public objection there would be because many Americans are still trying to make a living via very old economic systems which don't work out so well with increased globalization and economic differences between neighboring regions.

It's kind of scary to realize that though you live in the first world you have to compete with the third world for your living if you failed to take maximum advantage of your environment (college, etc).

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yes, but that is a different manner entirely. Abuse is still abuse, whether you entered legally or not.
    Yes, but the legal citizens have protections, supposedly. Even if they don't get their 40 hours, which is another issue that's pretty bad entirely.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ZeeBeeKayZeeBeeKay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dislike Wallmart, but I must admit that it is because of the kneejerk stuff that Gooey was talking about in [chat]. Also, that Vlasic pickle story that was brought up in the last thread.

The major problem that I have with Wallmart is that they are the store for people without much money, and they have an enormous profit margin, and yet they do nothing to try and make their products better. They have such huge economic power and don't do much positive (that I've heard of, I could be wrong) with said power.

Also the Wallmart in my town is really depressing.

ZeeBeeKay on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As a person who has been working in third shift for three months now, I can comment with some authority on this whole packaging-reduction thing they're trying to do.

It's a load of hooey. La de da, I'm stocking picture frames. Open box. Remove bubble wrap. Remove second layer of bubble wrap. Remove THIRD layer of bubble wrap. Remove layer of paper. Remove sheet of cardboard. Remove HOUSE BRAND picture frame. Stock HOUSE BRAND picture frame. Move on to the SECOND picture frame with three bubble wrap layers, paper layer, cardboard sheet of its own. Break down box after removing all four- FOUR- frames. I am not exaggerating for effect. This has actually happened. Several times.

Oh, yes, and if it's cardboard, it goes in the baler for recycling. But if it's straight paper, which I have been told is made of the same wood pulp that cardboard is, it goes in the garbage.

Also. A few times I have been assigned to 'ball duty'. This was basically a reprieve from actual work. Fill up big ol' inflatable balls with air, run them to the bin out on the floor, repeat until you either run out of bin or run out of balls. They fill up slowly enough and there are enough balls that I can spend half the shift on this and still be able to say I've been going as fast as humanly possible.

The balls are of course rubber, which has to come from somewhere that produces rubber. South America, Mexico, Indonesia, somewhere. The rubber is made into ball form in a factory in China. The balls are then shipped from China to Ohio. From Ohio, the balls backtrack to the distribution center in Beaver Dam before coming here.

Now, how much gas is this using up to fly the balls from tree to shelf? Best-case, it's a route of Indonesia-China-Ohio-Beaver Dam-Watertown. Worst-case, it's BRAZIL-China-Ohio-Beaver Dam-Watertown. For balls that sell for $2.50. What you ought to do here is get the rubber from Mexico and have the balls made in the States as close to Bentonville as possible (as many of the stores are in that area or otherwise in the South). That makes a much greener route of Mexico-Arkansas-Ohio-Beaver Dam-Watertown. Better yet, cut Ohio out of the route entirely.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think in England they have little stickers showing how far any goods needed to travel to get to your store. That's a damn good idea.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know pretty much nothing about business, but I really feel depressed every time I go into Walmart. They're so bleak. Everyone working there looks so sad. I always come out of there feeling guilty and somewhat less human than before. Might just be my imagination, but looking out on those football-field-size parking lots stuffed with cars makes me a little sick inside.

thundercake on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    ZeeBeeKay wrote: »
    Wal-Marts are depressing, bleak places coast to coast. If it weren't for the ubiquitous fluorescent lighting, you'd actually be able to see the desperation vapors swirling around.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yeah, how much would it cost wal mart to class their stores up, just a little bit? like softer lights and a bit of carpet, or at least flooring that doesn't look like a high school auditorium.

Sam on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    ZeeBeeKay wrote: »
    Wal-Marts are depressing, bleak places coast to coast. If it weren't for the ubiquitous fluorescent lighting, you'd actually be able to see the desperation vapors swirling around.
    Really though - where I use to live (Oxford, PA) we only had two very new Wal-Marts which were nice. When I moved out here(Wyomissing, PA) and worked for Target we were told a lot about how shitty Wal-Mart was and when I went to a local one... it was probably the worst store I had ever seen in my life. I couldn't find a single employee to ask for help or the damn thing I wanted either (zippo fluid).

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    yeah, how much would it cost wal mart to class their stores up, just a little bit? like softer lights and a bit of carpet, or at least flooring that doesn't look like a high school auditorium.

The most expensive Walmart built is in Madison, Mississippi, oddly enough. Or, at least it was at the time when it was put up.

Madison, MS has a building code that states all buildings must be made out of brick and resemble a train station. I kid you not.

So, they have a Super Walmart built entirely by hand-laid brick that looks like a giant train station.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anecdotally, you'll find a wide variety of opinions on Wal-Mart. Not every store shorts people on overtime or locks them in overnight. However, corporate management has extreme pressure on store management to cut costs. When store management cuts costs by "forgetting" to pay you what you worked, corporate management looks the other way. Basically, you have to hope that the store manager you get stuck with isn't a dick.

From a customer's perspective, I haven't actively shopped in a Wal-Mart for years. Their products usually aren't much cheaper than a competitor's, and sometimes it's actually slightly more expensive. The quality of most goods (especially produce and textiles) is so poor that I busted a pair of jeans within a month and some ground beef I once bought turned green within 2 1/2 days.

I've found Target to have only slightly more expensive stuff with much more reasonable quality. I used to think it was the same in both stores if it was the same brand, but a lot of brands have a "Wal-Mart edition" of their products, and you can guess how it compares to their mainstream edition.

All in all, Wal-Mart does a lot of morally reprehensible things that other companies do as well, but their size means the impact of these practices are larger. I would expect that anti-Wal-Mart crusaders would take on the next-worst corporation once Wal-Mart is fixed/put out of business, but I don't see either one of those ever happening.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember reading a sci-fi short story that reminds me strangely of Wal-mart. It's the story of this industrialist in who has created a Wal-mart-like store that has finally grown so large that they are able to replace any mall or strip mall with a single gigantic store a few acres large. A grocery, pharmacy, clothing, electronics, automotive, home improvement, restauraunt and everything else behemoth. In turn every product inside of it will be produced by corporations that have gobbled each other up, each one eating the ones smaller than it until there are only a few left producing anything. Eventually everyone works for and produces for one aspect of the company or another, and even between nations it controls so much that it's able to create its own laws and boundaries.

Of course things take a turn for the worse when the owner of it, in true tycoon fashion, passes it on to his two sons and they incite what's more or less a corporate civil world war, With Wal-mart turning against Wal-mart and individual stores trying to destroy the competition in order to enlarge their profit margins and curry the favour of the Chairkings of the company. I wish I knew who wrote it, it was some pretty entertaining stuff.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PBS Frontline has a pretty balanced take on Wal-Mart using moving pictures and sound! In color!
    Is Wal-Mart Good For America?

ah man, this is so good. i've actually seen it like three or four times, and it does a great job of providing a balance look at wal-mart

i'm not a fan of it myself, but i do think it's fascinating how they were able to turn the supplier-seller dynamic on its head

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My aversion to Walmart isn't so much their business practices, it's their clientele.

That said, I can buy pretty much anything I want at 1am.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If there was a video game called Sim-Retail, and you wanted to min-max everything and exploit every game mechanic you could, Wal-Mart is basically what you would end up with.

I'm not a fan, and I don't shop there (nine times out of ten, Costco/Winco/Target has a cheaper/better alternative anyway. The most frightening thing to me is the case of Wal-Marts in a few smalls towns, where they basically turn into the modern Pullman Company Store.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find myself having a constant moral debate every time I enter a Wal-Mart parking lot.
    I think to myself
    This huge sprawling box-like facility put many shops out of business.
    This massive building sells things from third world countries that are paid pennies on the dollar to manufacture.
    Then I realize I am very poor and cannot afford a moral debate about buying over-priced crap at Mom and Pop shops.
    D:
    The money usually wins.

This is pretty much me exactly.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yes, you'd think it'd be to their benefit. The second I walk into Wal-Mart, my skin crawls and I just want out. This leads me to quickly grab the shit I came for, and move the fuck on. The lighting, the displays, the constant chatter over the intercom, just everything.

Unlike, say, Target...I can wander around there for an extra half-hour and have no problems. Often I'll end up buying shit I neither needed, nor even particularly wanted, because of this.

You know what's really fucked up? ShopKo. I don't even get their purpose. They lack the relative "class" of Target (generally their displays are even worse than Wal-Mart), yet they also don't seem to have the retail clout to compete directly with Wal-Mart on price. How they stay in business is beyond me. Their employees actually manage to look more depressed than Wal-Mart employees, too.

Oh, and while Wal-Mart is not always the lowest price, their prices in general are quite competitive. Especially on the low end (as opposed to, say, higher-quality brands). You may not save on a Sony television or shit like that, but if you're looking for the cheapest lamp in town they likely have it. And most of their other lamps will be either the same or cheaper than elsewhere. Basically on any given basket of goods it's highly unlikely that they'll end up costing more at Wal-Mart...though the savings might be marginal. [EDIT: Discounting stores that require membership, like Costco]

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a similar negative reaction to Wal Mart like stores, yet for some reason that doesn't click when I go into huge super markets. I guess I like food a lot more.

Speaking of which, the Whole Foods in Kensington, London (first in UK iirc) is pure food porn. Oh and Whole Foods also had the FTC oppose it's takeover of a smaller rival, which has to be a first for the FTC. Although admittedly the WF CEO does seem a little crazy.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Food porn... is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Food porn... is that a bad thing or a good thing?

All possible meanings point to yes.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Yes, you'd think it'd be to their benefit. The second I walk into Wal-Mart, my skin crawls and I just want out. This leads me to quickly grab the shit I came for, and move the fuck on. The lighting, the displays, the constant chatter over the intercom, just everything.
    Don't forget the people. They're the deal breaker for me.

I loathe the people in Wal-Mart, even as I am one. The cognitive dissonance alone is enough to keep me focused on getting the hell out.

Elendil on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish people would leave Walmart alone. Yeah I get it. Some people that shop there are crazy, some people that work there don't get huge benefits. Who the fuck cares. The great thing about a free market economy is you can A) not shop there, and B) not work there.

There's nothing I hate more than people petitioning because they don't want to be associated with a Walmart, yet have five Starbucks within a three mile radius. "Oh but Starbucks is nicer, and has quality products!" Fuck you.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't go to Starbucks either, and they're actually one of the best companies so far as treating their employees goes.

If you just stopped talking against things you're against, nothing will CHANGE, -ever-.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I wish people would leave Walmart alone. Yeah I get it. Some people that shop there are crazy, some people that work there don't get huge benefits. Who the fuck cares. The great thing about a free market economy is you can A) not shop there, and B) not work there.

Bullshit. Yes, in theory any given individual can choose not to work there. But until we hit 0% unemployment, at some point some people will end up effectively "forced" to work there (or, you know, starve).

Though apparently at my wife's school there's this teacher who is very vocal about never ever shopping at Wal-Mart, and refusing to support them. But every now and again if somebody else says they're going there, this teacher will give them money and ask them to grab something for her.

Because, you know, she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart.

So obviously economics is not part of the elementary education curriculum. Dumbass.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh god, this thread is destined to end poorly. I'm calling it now, we'll either have this slowly die out in the next day or so, or 15 pages later it'll be a handful of people who enjoy economics beating their heads on their keyboards while arguing with random people who simply hate the way capitalism works and dress it up in various bits of rhetoric.

Just because I randomly found it again recently, I think this was the last WalMart thread. It's pretty thorough, but it was split from another thread so there's some oddness in the first few pages.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Bullshit. Yes, in theory any given individual can choose not to work there. But until we hit 0% unemployment, at some point some people will end up effectively "forced" to work there (or, you know, starve).

That is so much crap I don't know where to start. I had several friends who worked at Walmart, but none of them felt like they HAD to work there. Most of them were in junior high or high school and didn't even expect more than minimum wage, much less benefits. A high school diploma will get you a job outside of Walmart. Seriously.

Keep in mind I grew up in Arkansas, where Walmart DEFINED a "real" city. Despite that, there ARE other jobs out there. Nobody HAS to work ANYWHERE. To be forced to work there is the epitome of laziness.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    That is so much crap I don't know where to start. I had several friends who worked at Walmart, but none of them felt like they HAD to work there. Most of them were in junior high or high school and didn't even expect more than minimum wage, much less benefits. A high school diploma will get you a job outside of Walmart. Seriously.

Gee whiz, what a surprise. A person in junior high or high school doesn't feel like they "had" to work somewhere. That's because presumably these people are not supporting themselves. I mean, what the fuck?

Actual grownups need jobs. There are, despite a growing economy, a limited number of jobs available at any given time. It's like a giant game of musical chairs, and some poor fuckers are going to get stuck standing (or, in other words, working at places like Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart specifically).

Just because your buddies who were putting in a few hours for weed money didn't feel too trapped there doesn't mean there don't exist actual adults who are pretty much stuck there. Also, a high school diploma may not get you a job outside Wal-Mart, depending on your local economy. It certainly won't get you a job outside retail, and retail wages are also affected by Wal-Mart's practices.
    Keep in mind I grew up in Arkansas, where Walmart DEFINED a "real" city. Despite that, there ARE other jobs out there. Nobody HAS to work ANYWHERE. To be forced to work there is the epitome of laziness.

Yes, but EVERYBODY (who doesn't want to starve) HAS to work SOMEWHERE. Gee, caps are fun. The point is that given that there are a limited number of jobs available, some people do actually have to work at Wal-Mart.

This doesn't necessarily mean we should take any particular actions towards or against Wal-Mart. But to act as if anybody working there is either there because they want to be or are too lazy to find another job is just a wee bit inaccurate.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Actual grownups need jobs. There are, despite a growing economy, a limited number of jobs available at any given time. It's like a giant game of musical chairs, and some poor fuckers are going to get stuck standing (or, in other words, working at places like Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart specifically).

This is somewhat technical, but I love me some economics, so here goes: The current unemployment rate is pretty near optimal, meaning that anyone that wants a job can get one and no one (barring extraordinary circumstances) is forced to work in any job they do not wish to. 5% (I think that's roughly our current unemployment rate) is just about the number you expect at "full employment" where just short of all jobs are filled by people who want to be working them.

Now, this isn't to ignore the transition costs that may keep people in a job they don't like because they can't afford to risk quiting, but that's going to exist no matter what else is going on.

Long story short, and really tangential to what the issue at hand, I think it IS fair to say that, as much as is ever humanly possible, most people who are currently working at walmart are doing so because they want to.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »

Gee whiz, what a surprise. A person in junior high or high school doesn't feel like they "had" to work somewhere. That's because presumably these people are not supporting themselves. I mean, what the fuck?

Just because your buddies who were putting in a few hours for weed money didn't feel too trapped there doesn't mean there don't exist actual adults who are pretty much stuck there. Also, a high school diploma may not get you a job outside Wal-Mart, depending on your local economy. It certainly won't get you a job outside retail, and retail wages are also affected by Wal-Mart's practices.

Yes, but EVERYBODY (who doesn't want to starve) HAS to work SOMEWHERE. Gee, caps are fun. The point is that given that there are a limited number of jobs available, some people do actually have to work at Wal-Mart.

This doesn't necessarily mean we should take any particular actions towards or against Wal-Mart. But to act as if anybody working there is either there because they want to be or are too lazy to find another job is just a wee bit inaccurate.

At any point in your life have you felt like if you didn't work at a certain company you would never work? I know that I haven't. Even when I had zero experience. If you cannot get anything better than Walmart when you're an "actual grownup" then it's not Walmart's fault. It's the dumbass's fault who doesn't have enough education and experience after 20+ years to have an excuse.

What were they doing the whole time? Why is it Walmart's fault that people in this world are lazy idiots? Guess what. I'm not even 30 and I don't EVER have to work there for any reason. It's not like I came from rich parents. I'm from Walmart Country. Arkansas isn't exactly the top 10 economies in the USA, yet I didn't feel the need (nor did anyone I know) to work at Walmart.

Cry me a fucking river, people have to work. Waaaaaaah. They don't have to work at any given institution, and to think that someone is forced into a third-world living condition because of Walmart is fucking stupid.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.