As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

let's talk..cardio

• EuphoriaEuphoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I ride bikes why do I need arms

Euphoria on
  • IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno dawg, you're the one talkin' 'bout bein' a pansy on the bench press and all.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EuphoriaEuphoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    the correct answer is, "because you work in a fucking warehouse and this is the only way you'll win respect from your peers"

"also who even rides a bike excepts poors and hipsters"

Euphoria on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Walking 20-25 minutes from my dorm to my class 2-4 times a day gives me an excuse to reward myself with a tall, frosty IBC root beer every day

Also, why is my campus so large that it takes nearly half an hour to walk from one place to another, and merits a train to get around on campus?

so that dweebs like me can ride the train to the medical center and then longboard all the way down to the stadium

also, my butt muscles hurt from lunges

and tomorrow my shoulders will hurt from military presses and other such workouts

Homeless on
  • IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno, (stationary) bikes are my machine of choice, my coworkers all say the elliptical is way better, but I say they're a bunch of faggots.

Really though, I have no use for big arms, I sit around and program all day, but it is kind of nice to be able to flex in the mirror and not feel like a scrawny bitch and all, you know?

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    i am a lazy fatty

what he said

mully on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hate running, but I don't mind cardio. Go figure.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • vylovylo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I enjoy sitting on my ass. I'm thinking of going pro.

vylo on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will cycling just help my legs and whatnot, or will it help my whole body.

Meissnerd on
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cardio does not define running. running does not define cardio. running is one form of cardiovascular exersize.

goddamn clarity of mother fucking terms.

Label on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    oh god people are trying ot brag about weight lifting?

Ok, here was my workout today-keep in mind I have two discs in my spine that have no or almost no fluid in them

To start, a quick stretch, then I did 23 minutes(normally do 20 but the song I was listening to wasn't over yet) at 8mph on the treadmill. Too much longer than that and my back starts hurtings, so instead I run 7 days a week.

Then I did a quick ab workout with several different variations and sets of different types of crunches, with no break after the run

Grab some water, and head straight into the weights. Now, I don't go for max weight because I like to keep a runners build and not be too bulky, but I do like to have strength, and I limit my sets to 2x each because of time constraints due to my commute. So, two sets of each of the below--

200lb bench, can do more but don't want bulk
    160lb overhead pulls
    90lbs dumbbells
    300lbs back press
    140lbs weighted crunches
    80lbs side-arm lifts
    165lb overhead pulls

Weaver on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    weaver is actually he-man

potatoe on
    edited August 2007
    What's sad is that I lost an arm-wrestling comp at PAX because I was using the wrong muscles

Weaver on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    groin muscles weren't quite cutting it?

potatoe on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How can you use the wrong muscles

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited August 2007
    also I do so much back press & weighted crunches because I need a really strong core to compensate for my degenerative disc disease or I would be in constant pain from my back and unable to do anything

Weaver on
  • vylovylo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    J3p wrote: »

Cerebral palsy?

vylo on
    edited August 2007
    J3p wrote: »

Easier than you think

not everything comes naturally, sometimes you have to make a conscious effort ot exert force from the right muscles

Weaver on
  • wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a strict regimen of 3 inner throat finger heaves daily

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    oh god people are trying ot brag about weight lifting?

Ok, here was my workout today-keep in mind I have two discs in my spine that have no or almost no fluid in them

To start, a quick stretch, then I did 23 minutes(normally do 20 but the song I was listening to wasn't over yet) at 8mph on the treadmill. Too much longer than that and my back starts hurtings, so instead I run 7 days a week.

Then I did a quick ab workout with several different variations and sets of different types of crunches, with no break after the run

Grab some water, and head straight into the weights. Now, I don't go for max weight because I like to keep a runners build and not be too bulky, but I do like to have strength, and I limit my sets to 2x each because of time constraints due to my commute. So, two sets of each of the below--

200lb bench, can do more but don't want bulk
    160lb overhead pulls
    90lbs dumbbells
    300lbs back press
    140lbs weighted crunches
    80lbs side-arm lifts
    165lb overhead pulls

I kinda skipped some of the post and read the list and was like HOLY SHIT because I assumed 4 sets of 10. I'm trying to reconcile the picture of the light-built guy I saw one time with "I take it easy, just 4 sets of 10 bench presses at 200 pounds."

I know this one guy, a bodybuilder, who says he "only lifts light" now, stays away from the really heavy stuff. So how much does he work out with for, say, bench press? 300 pounds. Four sets of ten. What the FUCK, man. That's more than I'll probably ever be able to bench, like, even for just one single rep. Shit, that's not even really a "repetition" because I'm only talking about doing it one time; ain't no "repeating" going on.

Defender on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I feel like I should be running a longer distance, but right now I'm just exhausted after one lap around the neighborhood. Should I just keep doing one lap until it's easier and then move up, or move up and take it like a man?

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm starting Boxing again next week and I'm terrified cause I haven't done any exercise in months.

Boxing is the second most efficient form of Cardio exercise known to man
    iconteachlc5.gif

#pipe on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jacking off while boxing is #1.

Defender on
    edited August 2007
    I feel like I should be running a longer distance, but right now I'm just exhausted after one lap around the neighborhood. Should I just keep doing one lap until it's easier and then move up, or move up and take it like a man?

Get your lap around the neighborhood finished faster, then do 2 laps at your original speed, then get it faster, so on and so forth

Weaver on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Weaver wrote: »

Get your lap around the neighborhood finished faster, then do 2 laps at your original speed, then get it faster, so on and so forth

Alright sweet, I will start doing this.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You run until you feel like you are going to die, then you keep running until you puke. Only then have you exerted max effort.

That's how the Marines do it, anyways.

NotASenator on
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hear methamphetamine is pretty good for cardio.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was going to go to the gym today to run but now I have bad period pains and feel chilled

so I'll probably end up wrapped under covers after work with my DS on and having a comfort chocolate bar and then I'll save the guilt for tomorrow morning

Janson on
  • ZebesianPirateZebesianPirate Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One day I should start doing some sort of running again. I need to exercise in some way.

ZebesianPirate on
    thrownroomsigss2.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2007
    Euphoria wrote: »
    Soulburner wrote: »
    Benching and military press is where I really fall flat. I can barely move any weight at all at either of those exercises. I enjoy doing them, but I get really impatient about how much longer it takes for me to improve at them than everything else.

oh my god I am a machine on the bench press

get this, babies

115x4

that's not like

real spectacular dude

Tube on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got a little circuit going that's almost an extension of cardio, but with weights. I use a bench that can do both flat and incline, and I start with a very slight incline, not even 45 degrees, and do bench there. The circuit is 15 reps each.

Bench, 45's - then I drop the thing down to flat
    Lat Pull, 35lbs.
    Shoulder Press, 25/20 for the rest of the exercises
    Bicep Curls
    This back thingy
    Tricep extension.

Repeat.

Back when I was in college I used to be able to bench 225, which I think is pretty good, becuase I used to weigh about 160 back then. (I weigh more and can bench much less now, although I'm not sure how much.)

SkankPlaya on
  • candanaviancandanavian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    during soccer I would bench about 125x10

but that was kind of pointless

candanavian on
    firamedferris5.jpgfavicon.ico favicon.ico favicon.ico
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One of these days I'll start working out again though I better start soon. The sound of a dozen joints cracking while swinging my golf club is starting to scare me.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Will cycling just help my legs and whatnot, or will it help my whole body.

Cycling is an amazing full body work out. Commuting by bike is the best way to get an awesome work out without realizing it. You just are trying to get where you want to go, but in the process, you work every muscle in your body extensively.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno, (stationary) bikes are my machine of choice, my coworkers all say the elliptical is way better, but I say they're a bunch of faggots.

Really though, I have no use for big arms, I sit around and program all day, but it is kind of nice to be able to flex in the mirror and not feel like a scrawny bitch and all, you know?

yeah i hate having small arms but my current routine devotes no time to specific arm movements

i think in a few weeks i'm going to switch up my routine to address that

the wook on
  • ZoltanisZoltanis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I run a wee bit during the warm seasons, so my heart doesn't explode when winter comes along and Nordic skiing becomes available. I hated it as a kid, but started up again a while ago and it is fun stuff. All *pant* *heave* then *whoosh!*

Zoltanis on
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    walking my dog every morning for about half an hour is the extent of my cardio
    i hate cardio
    just hate it

but when i do have to do it, i follow more of a crossfit type thing because at least it doesn't have me running to nowhere forever

jumping jacks x 20
    squats x 20
    pushups x 20
    burpee x 15
    lunges x 15
    divebomber pushups x 15
    sit ups x 20

do that in as many as cycles as it takes in 20 minutes
    usuallt like 3, because fuck that's hard

or, i break out my sandbag and carry it around the block, deadlift it, front squat it, press it, whatever, i pretty much wrestle with my sandbag for about half an hour and it show it who's boss

there's a guy at my gym that i lift with sometimes and he's always pushing me to do more cardio, like running or something, but god damn

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    or hey
    if i'm in the mood, like on a saturday or something, i'll do tabata squats, because it only takes 4 minutes and i always think, ha 4minutes is nothing, then i do them and i'm like wtf was i thinking

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • RageRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh, is this where we brag about bench presses and such?

Rage on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have pretty large arms anyway (I guess I store fat there) and I started doing lifting because hey 'girls can't get big' and I'm weak and need to be stronger.

My lifting is pathetic but my biceps have already doubled in size and my arms look quite scary.

Okay some of this might be hyperbole but it's how I feel. I hate, hate, hate my arms.

Janson on