As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

let's talk..cardio

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I have pretty large arms anyway (I guess I store fat there) and I started doing lifting because hey 'girls can't get big' and I'm weak and need to be stronger.

My lifting is pathetic but my biceps have already doubled in size and my arms look quite scary.

Okay some of this might be hyperbole but it's how I feel. I hate, hate, hate my arms.

hahaha poor janson

the wook on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you have man hands as well, or at least a complex about it? My one friend gets really self-conscious because her hands are a tad bigger than the average, for some odd reason. I don't get that.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You do legs and back in the same day?

nope. I do legs throughout the week

Monday chest and deadlifts

Wednesday back and calf raises

Friday Shoulders and squats, and whatever isolation work if I've been a good boy

Tube wanna be my workout buddy

I'll spot you so good

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    I have also been trying to do pilates around twice a week. As sissy as it looks, it is a totally sweet thing to do to your body. I am working my way towards sucking my own peen.

lostwords on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Do you have man hands as well, or at least a complex about it? My one friend gets really self-conscious because her hands are a tad bigger than the average, for some odd reason. I don't get that.

No, I have small, delicate hands, wrists, feet and ankles, which makes my pretty hefty, muscular calves/upper arms look even more ridiculous.

But I suppose it's better than having mankles. I do struggle to find knee-high boots that will fit around my calves, but if I wear normal shoes my legs look quite nice. And I've learned that 3/4 length sleeves show off my wrists, and bracelets hang nice and loose on those.

Janson on
    edited August 2007
    Thats good that you have a decent idea of your body type and what types of clothes work best for you. It seems like there are a lot of people that seem to never look in a mirror when they dress themselves or give it much thought and wear too tight or unflatteringly loose clothing. I mean, almost any dude or lady can look nice with the proper attire that accentuates their strong points.

lostwords on
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't even put aside any time to exercise, I just ride my bike every where I go, and I like riding my bike, so often for fun, I just go ride it some more. I'm cut like a spartan.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Thats good that you have a decent idea of your body type and what types of clothes work best for you. It seems like there are a lot of people that seem to never look in a mirror when they dress themselves or give it much thought and wear too tight or unflatteringly loose clothing. I mean, almost any dude or lady can look nice with the proper attire that accentuates their strong points.

My downfall is in having few clothes, so that I end up wearing my nice clothes to work, and then t-shirts and jeans at other times. Occasionally when I make some effort people are surprised!

Skirts are flattering on me but also not the most practical attire.

Janson on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Will cycling just help my legs and whatnot, or will it help my whole body.

Cycling is an amazing full body work out. Commuting by bike is the best way to get an awesome work out without realizing it. You just are trying to get where you want to go, but in the process, you work every muscle in your body extensively.

I do this to work, but it's only about a 5 minute ride.

I can start cycling at home. I'd bike to school, but it's already an hour bus ride.

Meissnerd on
  • allsportgame17allsportgame17 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone actually training for any sports?

I do a bunch of plyometrics, combined with some weight training. Got my vertical up to 32" this summer :)

allsportgame17 on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd like to get into gymnastics but that's not very practical when you're already 28

Weaver on
  • candanaviancandanavian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I do long, fast sets with ten pound weights arms, chest, back, shoulders and such

anyway, I really want to get some twenty pound ones

candanavian on
    firamedferris5.jpgfavicon.ico favicon.ico favicon.ico
  • RageRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My basic arm workout, for those that wish to increase overall mass and strength.

Pyramid sets (7-11 reps X 4 sets ascending\descending to muscle failure)

Preacher curls (ez-bar & bench)
    Set 1: 155lb - wrists in
    Set 2: 170lb - wrists out
    Rest
    Set 3: 180lbs - wrists out
    Set 4: 165lbs - wrists in, to failure

Sitting hammer curls (alternating, sit on flat bench, back straight)
    Set 1: 65lb
    Set 2: 80lb
    Rest
    Set 3: 90lb
    Set 4: 75lb (to failure)

Diamond\close-grip bench press (ez-bar, flat bench)
    Set 1: 135lb
    Set 2: 150lb
    Rest
    Set 3: 175lb
    Set 4: 160lb (to failure)

Single-hand dumbell press (flat bench, hold dumbell flat in palm and press behind head)
    Set 1: 45lb
    Set 2: 55lb
    Rest
    Set 3: 75lb
    Set 4: 60lb

By now your arms will be on fire, but do not rest for more than 5 minutes. Almost done, I promise.

Straight-bar standing curls
    Set 1: 135lb
    Set 2: 145lb
    Rest
    Set 3: 155lb (to failure)

Rope-pulldowns (I switch off between single and double-hand pulldowns, depending on what is available)
    Set 1: 90lb
    Set 2: 110lb
    Rest
    Set 3: 125lb (to failure)

Finish off with reverse-grip straight bar curls. This movement will make your forearms scream in agony, so start light and go with high reps

Set 1-2-3: 45lbs, max reps to failure each set

Be sure to mix up your sets and movements every week or two. Throw in some concentration curls, bench dips and diamond push-ups, for example.

Rage on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone actually training for any sports?

I do a bunch of plyometrics, combined with some weight training. Got my vertical up to 32" this summer :)

Martial Arts. Tae Kwon Do specifically. REALLY heavy on the plyometrics. I still think the best workouts are sparring, rock climbing, and swimming. Do any of those on a regular basis and you'll pretty much be in good shape.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited August 2007
    my grip could never be strong enough to do real rock climbing

candanavian on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    our coach yells at us if we run less than 40-50 miles a week

:(

Randall_Flagg on
    edited August 2007
    rock climbing is just about the most awesome thing ever. as for grip there are things you can do to strengthen your hands and fingers. Just buy one of those hand squeeze things. they don't cost hardly anything.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used to work out a lot, then I stopped and got fat. Big surprise. Anyway, I found that supplementing my cardio with resistance training really helped. When I stopped working out I was running/jogging 6 to 8 miles a day. It took about 6 months of daily workouts to get to that point. When I began I could barely do a mile. The resistance training (squats and leg press, some bench and lat pulldowns) really helped put me over the top. I miss how good I felt when I was that healthy.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited August 2007
    Seems like it would be hard to find the time to really get into rock climbing. At least compared to the convenience of just going to the gym. Just thinking about all the equipment you'd have to buy, the time to find a decent spot to do it and then go there (and I don't think there are any very close to me), kinda turns me off to the idea.

allsportgame17 on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone have Nike+iPod? Want to race? I've been away from the gym for almost 6 weeks and I'm searching for motivation. I need something to tear me away from Bioshock, Warhawk and MP3.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Seems like it would be hard to find the time to really get into rock climbing. At least compared to the convenience of just going to the gym. Just thinking about all the equipment you'd have to buy, the time to find a decent spot to do it and then go there (and I don't think there are any very close to me), kinda turns me off to the idea.

a lot of gyms have a wall or a boulder. Actually bouldering is the best way to start out. You only go about 5 feet off the ground, and it requires pretty much no equip. But yeah, climbing walls are a little bit harder to find than tread mills. It's totally worth it if you can find one though.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't even put aside any time to exercise, I just ride my bike every where I go, and I like riding my bike, so often for fun, I just go ride it some more. I'm cut like a spartan.

I feel the same way since I started biking everywhere.

It sucks during the summer though because people think I suffer from hyperhidrosis.

Eastern Glow on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like cardio but hate running (about 25-30 pounds overweight = no fun run). I've found that biking and boxing are my 2 favorite ways to do cardio. I've never had any boxing training though, so i just wail on the punching bag for like 15-20 minutes, jog down the hill and back up, then repeat. Gets the heart going and breaks up the running and boxing.

JPants on
  • VmikesmittyVmikesmitty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If you are just bouldering equipment is practically nothing...just shoes. And if you want to be safe, a crash pad. Also if you prefer, then chalk.

But then it goes upwards from that point. For sport climbing, after the initial costs of harness, shoes, quickdraws, belay device and rope. That is all you need for a long time, and are probably looking at around 400ish depending on what you get.

But traditional climbing? It can be a bit expensive to jump right into.

Vmikesmitty on
  • rekireki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got a rowing erg this spring. I had previously been a member of a rowing club but it was a little expensive, was a good 40 minute drive from home and had no shower / toilet / etc. I figured that if I wanted to get any real benefit out of it I would have to do it three or four times a week and at that rate the machine would pay for itself in a year in dues and gas money with the time not spent driving as a bonus. It can get tedious without the lake but I've managed to stick with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_rowing

reki on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't wait until my financial aid clears.
    First thing I'm going to buy are new running shoes.
    Then a bike.

Zombot on
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    i'd love to get a rower, but they can be expensive

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Dude, there are tons of places around here that offer it, unless you're talking about davis, in which case fuck off fagmo.

Filler Inc. on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rowing is also a ridiculously awesome cardio. I need to get my gym membership back ($$ issues) so i can get at that rowing machine again.

JPants on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love the rowing machine. Unfortunately my fore-arms only last 10-15 minutes, and even that's a stretch.

SkankPlaya on
    edited August 2007

Dude, there are tons of places around here that offer it, unless you're talking about davis, in which case fuck off fagmo.

I was thinking of traditional climbing, cockmunch. I know Encore and places like that offer rock walls. But when he was talking about the awesomeness of rock climbing I figured he was talking about climbing a mountain or some shit. I don't find rock walls that entertaining.

allsportgame17 on
    edited August 2007

I was thinking of traditional climbing, cockmunch. I know Encore and places like that offer rock walls. But when he was talking about the awesomeness of rock climbing I figured he was talking about climbing a mountain or some shit. I don't find rock walls that entertaining.

Hows work?

Last day an all.

Getting fired.

For shame dude.

Filler Inc. on
    edited August 2007

Hows work?

Last day an all.

Getting fired.

For shame dude.

Oh I left work like an hour ago. Finally some vacation time before I head off to school.

How was your work? Wait... ooooooh

allsportgame17 on
    edited August 2007

Hows work?

Last day an all.

Getting fired.

For shame dude.

Oh I left work like an hour ago. Finally some vacation time before I head off to school.

How was your work? Wait... ooooooh

Why would you say that I dont have a jo- Oooooooh

You're a real bastard.

Filler Inc. on
    edited August 2007
    I was 200 pounds of manboobs and gut trash three years ago.

My sophomore year of college I started running 2 miles a day, drank nothing but water, and completely eliminated sweets. I dropped to 150 in 3 months.

Now I lift weights, drink protein like water, and use ju jitsu and judo for cardio. Life is good doggies. Not having man boobs

is sooo good.

Now I'm 175 of muscle and KICK YOU IN THE FACE

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Picture for emphasis

beforeandafter.jpg

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was 200 pounds of manboobs and gut trash three years ago.

My sophomore year of college I started running 2 miles a day, drank nothing but water, and completely eliminated sweets. I dropped to 150 in 3 months.

Now I lift weights, drink protein like water, and use ju jitsu and judo for cardio. Life is good doggies. Not having man boobs

is sooo good.

Now I'm 175 of muscle and KICK YOU IN THE FACE
    I dropped 15 simply from dropping the sweets and soda. I went from manboobs to an okay chest and some muscle (though my legs are ripped)

I got into wrestling today at my school, mainly for the exercise. So I hope it speeds up my tone

Sanius on
    edited September 2007
    today I ran four miles and also did acouple of my lifting sets

YAY

candanavian on
  • GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can't do football this year.

I hope I don't get fat :( I need to work out on my own.

Hey staying notfat is good motivation though I suppose.

Graves on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I tried running a mile on an ankle that I sprained a week and a half ago.

I managed to do it, but I looked somewhat retarded, so I just did weighted situps, weighted boxing combos, and a ton of pushups/pullups. Having a busted ankle really helps motivate you, as well as make you desperate for it to heal quicker.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png