As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Transmogrifying 10x cheaper, because aesthetics, or something

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    That would be rotten.

edit: Basically, hey thanks for playing our game for two years. Now fuck you, start over.

shadowane on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    my schadenfreude boner is h4rd enuff to cut hyperdiamond

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

If they do not allow transfers of Blizbucks totals to Paypal, at no charge, then...I shall say some nasty, nasty things on their forums.

prepare to get your capslock on, bro

Oh, undoubtedly. I imagine the official forums will be delightful to read for the next few weeks. Diablo 3 has now become the antithesis of what I wanted it to be. That, I think, is a shame.

Less because it's not what I wanted, but more because Blizzard's attempt at making a dungeon crawler with a RMAH will be taken as precedent, and their decision to remove the AH systems may quash other developers from pursuing similar models.

I liked the idea of users gaining a share of the wealth, through the option of selling their items for $. When Blizzard says, "Yeah, that model is unsustainable." it seems like a nail in the coffin for this model of loot acquisition.

And, honestly, it was not unsustainable. They were simply unwilling to modify their item design and drop formula to play nicely with the ability to purchase exactly what one wants from the Auction House. It's not laziness on their part, so much as a stubborn unwillingness to approach the game from a different perspective, and hang onto the antiquated loot generation system of the 90s.

This is not a bad decision for some pissed off guy who is grumpy about his Blizbucks. This is a bad decision for the gaming industry.

Blizzard just said that RMAH systems are unsustainable.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/
    When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades. But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.

We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.

We're working out the details of how the auction house system will be shut down, but we wanted to share the news as soon as we made the decision in order to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. Please note that the shutdown will occur on March 18, 2014. We will keep everyone informed as we work through this process.

Josh Mosqueira and I wanted to provide everyone with a little more information behind this decision, so please have a look at the video, and stay tuned to this site for further updates in the months ahead.

Good. Like I've said before, the AH was a total disaster and I'm glad they are removing it. Also makes sense why something similar is not being implemented in their other games.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    That would be rotten.

edit: Basically, hey thanks for playing our game for two years. Now fuck you, start over.

Yeah, I'm just not sure how they'd balance some of the gold sinks that were based around high level players with billions of gold to burn, versus the gold sinks that AH-less players will have to contend with.

As far as I remember you could import your D2 character into D2X, but he would be useless because the skill point distributions changed between versions.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    That would be rotten.

I wouldn't mind. These characters mean nothing to me. Might as well start over and roll a crusader.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    *Logs on this morning*

0.1 seconds later...

*Picks up Jaw from floor*

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    Matz wrote: »
    *Logs on this morning*

0.1 seconds later...

whenever the D3 thread suddenly has 200+ new posts in the span of an hour, you know a clusterfuck is imminent

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    but seriously, I never found anything good at the inferno level, everything I had came from the AH. that's fucking stupid for a diablo game

I'm wearing multiple found pieces across four characters. I've equipped several items post-inferno, though admittedly as MP went up that largely stopped.

And yeah, J, I'd cycle that into gold/gems/whatever and out to PayPal ASAP. Suddenly I feel lucky that my total "wealth" is basically just enough to buy the D3 and SC2 expansions with BlizzBucks.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    That would be rotten.

It's already a gear wipe. I'd think characters will stick around for now, what with the whole plvl conversion.

But as ladder seasons start ending, there's only so many slots...

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If they do not allow transfers of Blizbucks totals to Paypal, at no charge, then...I shall say some nasty, nasty things on their forums.

Oh, undoubtedly. I imagine the official forums will be delightful to read for the next few weeks. Diablo 3 has now become the antithesis of what I wanted it to be. That, I think, is a shame.

Less because it's not what I wanted, but more because Blizzard's attempt at making a dungeon crawler with a RMAH will be taken as precedent, and their decision to remove the AH systems may quash other developers from pursuing similar models.

I liked the idea of users gaining a share of the wealth, through the option of selling their items for $. When Blizzard says, "Yeah, that model is unsustainable." it seems like a nail in the coffin for this model of loot acquisition.

And, honestly, it was not unsustainable. They were simply unwilling to modify their item design and drop formula to play nicely with the ability to purchase exactly what one wants from the Auction House. It's not laziness on their part, so much as a stubborn unwillingness to approach the game from a different perspective, and hang onto the antiquated loot generation system of the 90s.

This is not a bad decision for some pissed off guy who is grumpy about his Blizbucks. This is a bad decision for the gaming industry.

What should they have done then?

Because the whole problem, as the guy points out in the video, is that once the AH became used by enough people, it completely destroys the play-reward loop of the game.

• Options
    *Logs on this morning*

0.1 seconds later...

I can't stop my hands from shaking.

So much Nerdrage.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    but seriously, I never found anything good at the inferno level, everything I had came from the AH. that's fucking stupid for a diablo game
    I dunno, this was my experience in d3 AND d2

I am fine finding my own items though

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Almost makes me wonder if they'll do a full character/item wipe for D3X. Remove the old gold barons and start everyone off on the same AH-less slate.
    That would be rotten.

It seems like they are already doing that. It's just they are doing it in the soft way WoW has been doing forever: Basically inflate new numbers so much that previous ones become useless.

• Options
    I still need to think about the implications. I would like to get most of my $160 odd Blizzbucks to Paypal probably. Luckily I have already taken $120 odd out over the last month already. Gem selling could be the way...

2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

What should they have done then?

Because the whole problem, as the guy points out in the video, is that once the AH became used by enough people, it completely destroys the play-reward loop of the game.
    • Create an AH Ladder, a RMAH Ladder, and a no-AH Ladder
    • Increase the cap on ilvls and stats.
    • Increase the number of relevant stats to any particular class, so finding ideal configurations is much more difficult.
    • Diversify mob abilities, elemental damage, smashy strategies to increase the utility of diverse gear configurations and builds.
    • Make Unique items BoE, and allow players to increase the level of an item by salvaging 10 copies of the item into the Account-Bound version. Find a good mempho with dex/vit? Great. If you get 10 more dex/vit mephos, you can salvage them into the first one to increase its stats by 10%. Then do that again, forever, because there is no cap on item stats.
    • Make crafting gear non-shitty, so players are compelled to farm for mats.

Just to name a few things.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Reading the NeoGAF thread, I think I've seen AH-defenders use almost every single argument that D2-fanboys previously had used against D3 before it's release ("You're taking away options!" "I'm smart enough to use this system successfully, so why are you removing it to appease those idiots who can't!?" "You're dumbing it down to please the casuals!" "I've been with [D3] since the beginning, you should be listening to me!" "Why can't I play the way I want to anymore!?" "Why are you moving backwards?").

I think I may die of laughter.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I might try to get my money out of blizzbucks, but on the other hand I foresee myself spending that much on blizzard games in the future anyway so meh

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Awesome, so now the D3 servers are nothing but money sinks for Blizzard.

Can't wait for the extra rubberbanding in my single player games.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »

this makes no sense

did you think the server costs were all paid for with RMAH proceeds or...?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Almost makes me wonder if they'll do a full character/item wipe for D3X. Remove the old gold barons and start everyone off on the same AH-less slate.
    That would be rotten.

It seems like they are already doing that. It's just they are doing it in the soft way WoW has been doing forever: Basically inflate new numbers so much that previous ones become useless.

Yeah, it's mainly that the old players will still have vastly inflated amounts of trading currency. If you're new to D3X and just picking up gold during runs and occasionally trading with people you find in pub games, your typical player could be well under the 10 mil mark.

If you played the AH at the height of the arbitrage gems->gold days, you could be entering D3X with several billion gold.

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Wow. I am getting some severe 'nam-style flashbacks from D2 trading. Third party auction sites, trying repeatedly to contact someone who just never shows up. Having to deal with xXx_ButtmasterGoku_xXx to get the item you want. The scams, spam, ripoffs and runarounds. The majority of people playing this game are terrible. I look forward to carefully counting the zeros in gold amounts in the trading window.

This will certainly encourage people to find upgrades in-game since trading for them will be reverted back to the hell it was in D2. Kind of a weird approach. I'm sure some people will just skip that process completely but I'm not going to be able to resist and it's going to suck.

I guess I should stockpile on gems and crafting materials now. Though gold should still be worth something; the only reason it wasn't a currency in D2 was the limit on how much of it you could carry. Need to get about $70 worth of it from my EF money. Hope the price doesn't spike too hard.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    I might try to get my money out of blizzbucks, but on the other hand I foresee myself spending that much on blizzard games in the future anyway so meh

I could pay for RoS and the next SC2 expansion I guess...

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    my schadenfreude boner is h4rd enuff to cut hyperdiamond

Hello, new signature. :P

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    they are definitely making it so trading is unnecessary for almost every case

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

Hearthstone cards, baby!

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I look forward to carefully counting the zeros in gold amounts in the trading window.

maybe by 2014 comma technology will finally be advanced enough that blizzard can add it to diablo

• Options
    Wow. I am getting some severe 'nam-style flashbacks from D2 trading. Third party auction sites, trying repeatedly to contact someone who just never shows up. Having to deal with xXx_ButtmasterGoku_xXx to get the item you want. The scams, spam, ripoffs and runarounds. The majority of people playing this game are terrible. I look forward to carefully counting the zeros in gold amounts in the trading window.

This will certainly encourage people to find upgrades in-game since trading for them will be reverted back to the hell it was in D2. Kind of a weird approach. I'm sure some people will just skip that process completely but I'm not going to be able to resist and it's going to suck.

I guess I should stockpile on gems and crafting materials now. Though gold should still be worth something; the only reason it wasn't a currency in D2 was the limit on how much of it you could carry. Need to get about $70 worth of it from my EF money. Hope the price doesn't spike too hard.

I think their goal is to remove trading from the game. So, no Auction House, and no backdoor shenanigans with xXx_ButtmasterGoku_xXx.

• Options

ros, Protoss expansion, wow expansion, 40$ of HS cards, another d3 expansion, Titan...

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

this makes no sense

did you think the server costs were all paid for with RMAH proceeds or...?

Not even close, I'm sure.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options

I think their goal is to remove trading from the game. So, no Auction House, and no backdoor shenanigans with xXx_ButtmasterGoku_xXx.

there will still be the trading window, from what they say in the FAQ

so if you can stand the public chat channel and/or are willing to head into pub games to spam your item trades list, you could still find someone to trade that shako-equivalent to

it will just be super tedious and annoying for everyone involved

• Options

Hearthstone cards, baby!

I don't want to sound like a butthurt 13 year old...but D3 has really soured me on Blizzard as a company. Hearthstone would be fun, but I don't want to give them more money.

Maybe buy the expansion on the off-chance that it is not Fail-Release 2.0...but...they have really jerked their user base around with D3.

• Options

so if you can stand the public chat channel and/or are willing to head into pub games to spam your item trades list, you could still find someone to trade that shako-equivalent to

So, it will be like trading in D2...the system everyone loved.

This seems like a very bad solution to a non-problem. Or, if the AH was a problem, then the least desirable solution.

It really isn't that difficult to reduce the influence of the AH, or at least control it.

• Options

I look forward to public games becoming three player games, with the fourth being a rotating slot for people to come in and spam their trades.

And I'm probably being generous.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I can understand why AH junkies are mad since they had something they liked and it's being taken away. At some point though Blizzard has to acknowledge the will of the masses and do what's best for 90% of players(real statistic). The AH was a mistake and this is the cleanest fix. Adding a bunch of branched game modes to try to make everyone happy would just make a bigger mess of things.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    I can understand why AH junkies are mad since they had something they liked and it's being taken away. At some point though Blizzard has to acknowledge the will of the masses and do what's best for 90% of players(real statistic). The AH was a mistake and this is the cleanest fix. Adding a bunch of branched game modes to try to make everyone happy would just make a bigger mess of things.

I disagree about the degree to which an AH/RMAH ladder would be a mess.

Allow for non-AH modes? Absolutely. Yes. That is fine.

Completely removing the AH system? That seems needless, given that they could just add a ladder system for us AH-pricks.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Screw the haters. Bartering is awesome. Can't wait to stockpile commodities!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I sold an item for $239 back when this game first came out. I'm so very sorry that no one else will experience the pure pleasure that the feeling associated with cashing out creates.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Malkor wrote: »
    I sold an item for $239 back when this game first came out. I'm so very sorry that no one else will experience the pure pleasure that the feeling associated with cashing out creates.

When I decreased my playtime, I was at just over $1,000 acquired.

Grump.

• Options
    Malkor wrote: »

This is, admittedly, the sad part for me. I sold some $10 to $20 items, but never hit a jackpot. I'll miss my Diablo-themed slot machine.