As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Want computer to make sweet love to tv

tech_huntertech_hunter MoreSeattleRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been fiddling with getting my computer to project video onto my Hyundai LCD tv. The video card I have is a EVGA 128-P2-N368-TX GeForce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card. I couldnt find a manual for the card on the manufacturers web site but there is this spec sheet here I am using component cables from the adapter thing that goes into the video card to the tv. I can get display on my tv but the picture quality is not that great and text on web pages is very blury. I have messed with all the settings but I cant seem to make it any better. I would also like to be able to have my desktop fit into the display of my tv. Right now if I move the mouse up or down the screen moves with it the last few inches that are not being currently displayed. So anyone with any experience with doing this your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also I did try to search for this topic but search is telling me I am using too few words no matter how many words I use.

Sig to mucho Grande!
tech_hunter on

• Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Figure out what the native resolution of your TV is and then set the card to display accordingly?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    HD or Standard def tv?

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The setting to make it fit to your tv better, so the mouse can't move outside the screen is overscan. You'll definitely need this if your computer and teevee aren't telling each other what resolution they should use, and will probably need to tweak it in a minor fashion even if they do end up working together. Also, your tv might have different display modes, that either crop sigals or stretch/shrink them, the fix for that could be as simple as switching from a zooming/cropping mode to a fitting mode.

The resolution thing, I am unsure of, as X handles that pretty much on its own.

The fact that the text is hard to read would suggest that your tv is displaying in something somewhere between 480i and 576p, which isn't the greatest for reading text in the first place. If it's under the native resolution of your tv and your tv doesn't upscale (and, to a lesser extent, even if it does) then it will look awful as well.

So, you should find out about your tv can do first - native resolution, upscaling and the formats it uses are all good starts.

Apothe0sis on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have HDTV going to my high def CRT using a Geforce 6200. All models in the 6000 series support native HDTV out, so the first thing you need to do is make sure that you've got your desktop set to an HDTV resolution. Even when you do that, though, some portions of the edge of the desktop will probably be off the edge of the display, because TVs overscan far more than computer monitors. If your TV supports 720p or 1080p, I recommend one of those, since progressive scan will usually yield more readable text.

If you're using Windows, the Nvidia drivers include a desktop scaling tool that allows you to dynamically shrink the horizontal and vertical edges of your desktop to compensate for overscan. On my HTPC system, I can get to it by right-clicking the desktop, selecting Nvidia Control Panel, and under the Video & Television category it's the "Resize HDTV Desktop" option. It's quite a handy utility, definitely beats twiddling with custom resolutions.

Even after you match your desktop resolution to your LCD TV, you'll probably find that text still isn't super-sharp. The vast majority of HDTVs are made to be good for watching TV/movies, and are not optimized for fine text. The fact that you're using an analog component connection to send the signal is likely to compound this problem a bit. Using large fonts helps, as does using some HTPC/PVR software (Windows Media Center, MythTV, or in my case MediaPortal) since it will present a simplified interface with large, readable fonts.

If you were expecting your LCD TV to work like a 29"+ monitor, I hate to burst your bubble, but there's a reason why people generally don't do this. Primarily, it's due to the much higher pixel pitch and refresh times of LCD TVs compared to their monitor counterparts. I checked out some spec sheets for Hyundai Electronics LCD TVs, they typically have a pixel pitch of ~0.5 mm, and a refresh time of ~23 ms. Most recent LCD monitors have a pixel pitch of 0.25 mm or less, and a refresh time of 10ms or less these days. That makes a big difference in terms of how very fine details (e.g. text) get displayed, so you may need to scale down your expectations in terms of overall quality on an LCD TV vs. an LCD monitor.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer