As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] is Radioactive! That Can't be Good!

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Teen facing sex offenders register after streaking through school hangs self.
    "There's the legal complications," Sparkman High principal Michael Campbell told the news station WHNT on Tuesday, October 1. Streaking was not just a harmless prank, he said. "Public lewdness and court consequences outside of school with the legal system, as well as the school consequences that the school system has set up."

Can we hang him?

We really need higher standards for who gets put on sex offender registries...

I don't mean to be the wet blanket, but according to the article he was like 5 steps away from being put on the registries. All it said was that the school was trying to get him prosecuted as an adult.

That in and of itself seems over the top. Fuck it prosecuting someone for streaking is over the top.

It astounds me that the people telling a fifteen year old "Whelp, that prank of yours means your life is effectively over, you'll be reviled by society forever" feel no shame about it.

He had not actually been prosecuted...

• VociferousVociferous Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    If you want a very light, portable, easy as fuck, low maintenance, long battery life laptop, get a MacBook Air. There are no rivals in this category, full stop. You can get away with the lowest end model and still have a powerhouse of a machine that will last you an entire work day and change on battery life.

and if you absolutely need windows, you can install that too, though you will probably want to upgrade to 256GB of SSD space.

Also, since you already have an iPhone.... iTunes is butt in windows compared to Mac, where it is great. Also, all the other iCloud stuff like synched iMessage, synced notes, reminders, Photo Stream... its a really well made integrated experience.

Thanks :) Yeah all I have had for the past couple months is my iPhone, but now I have money coming in again and want to have something functional for my computering needs! I do like the idea of a Mac, if only because it'll integrate with all my accounts, etc so well.

I was just trying to be cheap about this purchase though, but maybe now's not the time to be cheap?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    desc is a stone-cold motherfucker

once saw him flip a cop car onto a family of 4, because the teenage daughter said that liquid drum and bass was preferable to jungle

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    No one is in the office this afternoon *commits to an hour long unending fart*

Bless your heart.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    "There's the legal complications," Sparkman High principal Michael Campbell told the news station WHNT on Tuesday, October 1. Streaking was not just a harmless prank, he said. "Public lewdness and court consequences outside of school with the legal system, as well as the school consequences that the school system has set up."

Can we hang him?

I don't mean to be the wet blanket, but according to the article he was like 5 steps away from being put on the registries. All it said was that the school was trying to get him prosecuted as an adult.

Ooh yes

All of the fucking authority figures in that kid's life were trying to give him a scarlet letter but they hadn't yet so it's ok

silly goose

fucking edict

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    yo someone explain the DOTA2 patch, what changed!

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I have my laptop and my iPad mini (and my Android phone, naturally)

the iPad absolutely gets more day-to-day use than my laptop. I use my iPad every day, even if it's just to read on the train or play Puzzle & Dragons or something

but when I need my laptop, I need my laptop and there's no way the iPad could fill that void

Yeah, I do a significant amount of stuff on my iPad... and for a while I was doing almost everything on it (including coding, with textastic and a bluetooth keyboard).

You can do work on an iPad, but there are a few tasks where the workarounds are too cumbersome, and a laptop absolutely excels. I still think I would have a hard time running my business without the iPad, as a significant amount of my proposal work and billing management happens on there, even if I do most of the work on my iMac or Macbook Air.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ell 95 is fucking awesome. God damn.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Was streaking always an expulsion-worthy offense?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @Syndalis

goddamn Ryse if anything looks fucking gorgeous

http://i.minus.com/ibw6vQyQPUz3Nm.gif

Can we hang him?

That in and of itself seems over the top. Fuck it prosecuting someone for streaking is over the top.

It astounds me that the people telling a fifteen year old "Whelp, that prank of yours means your life is effectively over, you'll be reviled by society forever" feel no shame about it.

... yet

Stop

Just

Fucking

Stop

fuck gendered marketing
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Can we hang him?

No, he was being threatened with it. That's what I'm saying. It was and is an absurd overreaction that terrified a child into suicide, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Apple's student discount is nice, btw. Here it is like 12%, which is very nice considering how overpriced they are :bz

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    new bad lip reading of game of thrones is god damn hilarious

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    I get the idea that everyone can be a journalist now, but i still like the idea that there are credentials so we can weed through the nutters typing furiously in dark cellars.

That model has been blown up though. "Credentials" are meaningless...

... well not meaningless. But they're an outdated and very restrictive way to identify your trusted proxies. I'm not saying that journalism shouldn't be a profession, or that you should ONLY look to the lone scrivener instead of the big media outlet.

I'm just saying there's no functional difference between the two.

Example: This guy has done far better work reporting from the field than most of the major media outlets. http://www.michaelyon-online.com/
    If you let "credentials" and "legitimacy" be defined in the same way today as you did before crowdfunding, pervasive personal recording, and everywhere internet became a thing, then you are doing something wrong.

I mean... if you're considering the alphabet networks and Fox News as major media outlets, yeah... they're shit... because they're run like businesses.

But there are plenty of other outlets that still hire real journalists with training and pedigrees out there.

One dude going it on his own and doing well (I'm not that familiar with his work, but I'll take it for granted for the sake of argument) doesn't mean the entire system should be scrapped.

The entire system is scrapped. It's a corpse that doesn't realize it's dead yet. It's a zombie!

What makes a "real" journalist, besides the quality of his work?

I suppose maybe we disagree less than I thought at first.

I am just not comfortable with the idea of a Wild West of journalism because we already have a massive problem in this country with tens of millions of people being actively misinformed.

Yeah, I don't think we're too far off. My problem comes when you have the Capital J Journalists doing things like expecting special protection from the courts that isn't afforded to small-b bloggers doing basically the same exact quality of work.

wat

do you have a for instance, because I feel like any protection journalists receive should fall under bill of rights stuff

For instance Journalists get shielding from prosecution when they don't reveal sources, but average people cannot retain anonymity for themselves or others without a contempt citation.

are you arguing that... this is something that shouldn't be?

Absolutely yes. Why should a "journalist" get that protection and I don't?

did you miss everything I posted afterwards?

also do you not like western democracy or something? :P

Yes I had to walk out...

Here is what I'm talking about. This is special protection for a class of people!

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/09/senate-revises-media-shield-law-better-its-still-imperfect

Among other details is this:
    The states that have adopted shield laws, and the courts that have found similar protections deriving from either the First Amendment or common law, have taken one or both of two approaches to this question. Some have adopted a “functional definition,” whereby the protection is available to anyone who is functioning as a journalist—that is, someone collecting information for the purpose of distributing it to the public. Others have adopted a “status definition,” in which the person entitled to the protection is defined by his or her employment or other affiliation with a media organization. We have before expressed concern that status definitions often fail to cover non-traditional journalists such as self-publishing bloggers and citizen journalists.

If you're going to formalize it like that, I vastly prefer the functional definition.

But the "special protection for a class of people" line is bull. It's not a class of people by the status definition, it's a line of work. Doctors have special protection, too.

Because they need to have it.

Journalism is not like doctoring. It is super egalitarian and requires no special or formalized training beyond the ability to ask questions and string together a coherent sentence.

There is no accreditation for journalists beyond their employment itself. There is no standard of quality and no licensing. It's nothing like being a doctor!

Nothing at all!

edit: if they need to have it, why don't I?

because no sources that need protection are coming to you. It is exactly like being a doctor in this respect. The training, accreditation, standard of quality, and licensing do not matter.

The reason doctors are able to keep shut about stuff other people would be legally compelled to share, is because to do their job, people need to be able to tell them everything. That's how it's just like this.

Not that the journalists are important here. The important thing is that the protected sources have a way to get their important shit out there without risk.

with journalists protected, then hey, look, there are people they can go to who can safely share it! Awesome! The important shit gets shared, we benefit.

Well, how do you know I'm not a journalist on the side. I even wrote a column once!

But you're saying that if a source came to me that needed protection, I suddenly become a journalist?

Why do we need a special class of people who have the legal right to hide sources anyway? Why not do that for, you know, everybody who wants to publish sensitive information? I'm asking you to explain why journalists should be treated differently from randos who publish things on the internet, and you are telling me how they are treated differently.

Also, it's still nothing like a doctor because you no longer need to go through the anointed gatekeepers to tell your story, as you do if you get sick.

If you are doing journalism, then you become a journalist, yes. Perhaps as important may be that others recognise what you are doing as journalism, which could be by doing your thing through a traditional publication or because you are a notable contributor the public discourse in a particular area.

There are multiple tests that can be applied to decide that, as has already been discussed. As far as I was aware, pleading journalistic status only ever comes up in the context of presenting a defence: you don't decide in advance who is and isn't a journalist, the question is irrelevant until that person wishes to exempt themselves from some liability or culpability for the reasons set aside as exemptions in those cases.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to create a checklist definition for journalistic status, that kind of thing almost invariably leads to people using the letter of the law to abuse its spirit.

What I don't understand is the basic argument that there should be a test at all. Why are trying to make value judgments about my past Contributions To The Realm Of Journalism when I break a story? I don't believe there should be any functional difference between me breaking a story about a cop stomping in a guy's face for no reason because I recorded it on my phone and posted about it on Reddit, and Wolf Blitzer doing the exact same thing.

Why does he get to conceal the source of the video, and I don't? What's the concept there that grants him special protection, that should not also apply to me?

I don't believe there is one.

Are you saying that you don't think that journalistic protection would apply in your example?

I mean, it would in any sane formulation of the law.

Currently there are some formulations of the law where it would, assuming the judge decided I was doing Capital J Journalism (and not protected if I failed in my attempt to prove I was), and there are some formulations where I would need to be working for An Official News Reporting Company Place to get protection, and otherwise I'm boned.

I'm saying that I think everyone should get that protection by default because the days when there were information gatekeepers who reported the news are gone. We all carry video cameras, we all have the ability to reach a global audience. We should all be protected in the same way.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    podly! hello

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Can we hang him?

Ooh yes

All of the fucking authority figures in that kid's life were trying to give him a scarlet letter but they hadn't yet so it's ok

silly goose

fucking edict

Whatever, i'm sorry for bring facts into this.

Yes, it was totally the Sex offender registry that caused this kid to kill himself. The registry that he could maybe get on if somebody maybe decided to prosecute as an adult, then a judge maybe decided that was reasonable, then he was maybe convicted as an adult.

The fact that this kid killed himself is horrible. I just detest it when someone decides to use such a thing to advance a political goal that is only tangentially related.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    podly! hello

hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    desc wrote: »

R&S is having it's 30 anniversary next week

madness

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Wait was vociferous an alt or what just happened

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Aaaaaaaannnnd new guy is gone.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @Syndalis

See that? This is why I am not really concerned with the minor power differential between the PS4 and the XBO - the games are going to be ridiculously beautiful on both. That is a launch title.

This was a launch title on the xbox 360:

kameo-elements-of-power-20051007051847303-000.jpg

Now think about Halo 4 or Grand Theft Auto or whatever other recent 360 games and what they look like.

Next gen is going to be fucking beautiful.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Rent?

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Move along, Citizen

There has never been a forumer by that name

Something something East Asia

jakobagger on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

Can we hang him?

Ooh yes

silly goose

fucking edict

Yes, it was totally the Sex offender registry that caused this kid to kill himself. The registry that he could maybe get on if somebody maybe decided to prosecute as an adult, then a judge maybe decided that was reasonable, then he was maybe convicted as an adult.

The fact that this kid killed himself is horrible. I just detest it when someone decides to use such a thing to advance a political goal that is only tangentially related.

How is the atrocious state of the sex offenders laws only tangentially related?

Tav on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    This whole streaking thing reminds me of Aaron Swartz. There are so many assholes who take the law WAY too literally. A rigid law and order sense of ethics should be mocked so hard. That principal should lose his job and get something more on his level of ethical development. Maybe middle manager at cinnabon. Apply that moronic rigidity to the frosting of cinnamon buns.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Syndalis

goddamn Ryze if anything looks fucking gorgeous

@surrealitycheck

Can we hang him?

Ooh yes

silly goose

fucking edict

We know the facts

Fuck you

fuck gendered marketing
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

There's nothing new under the [chat]

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    syndalis wrote: »
    @Syndalis

See that? This is why I am not really concerned with the minor power differential between the PS4 and the XBO - the games are going to be ridiculously beautiful on both. That is a launch title.

This was a launch title on the xbox 360:

kameo-elements-of-power-20051007051847303-000.jpg

Now think about Halo 4 or Grand Theft Auto or whatever other recent 360 games and what they look like.

Next gen is going to be fucking beautiful.

hells yeah

Can we hang him?

Ooh yes

silly goose

fucking edict

I don't even know what your point is.

You're suggesting that a child should have had the emotional maturity to deal with the most significant authority figures in his life setting out to destroy it by trusting that a system that had already massively overreacted would respond proportionately?

Sup ell?

fucking pissed off

and I was fucking happy

now I'm crying

fuck gendered marketing
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Interesting thing about Ryze, they actually dropped it to 960p or i. I can find the article. Mostly because at full 1080p it wouldn't get 60 fps which is what they are shooting for.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM is now on the Steam Digital Distribution Service

What's with Steam adding all those old-ass game for olds?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @So It Goes

Uh, my understanding of the patch from the thread.

SHIT JUST GOT CRAZY!

Also still not 100% certain if the crazy is real.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Interesting thing about Ryze, they actually dropped it to 960p or i. I can find the article. Mostly because at full 1080p it wouldn't get 60 fps which is what they are shooting for.

and then he pulled off a full combo penta

fuck gendered marketing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24574068

Hmm.

I remember reading a thing ages ago which asserted that Lamborghinis which are written off are almost invariably being driven by people other than their owners - car park attendants, mechanics, valeters, etc.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I don't care about Ryze because it's a QTE with no E.

It's an animated movie where you push buttons sometimes.

fucking pissed off

and I was fucking happy

now I'm crying

I was going to respond to this by posting happy music, but I don't think I actually know any happy music

I can do wistfully introspective music

(hugs)

This discussion has been closed.