As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    teefurylink1.jpg

Land Of Fiction ho!
    But seriously, been too long since the doctor ran around with a sword.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    teefurylink1.jpg

Land Of Fiction ho!

With Navi, the most annoying companion since Rose.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    teefurylink1.jpg

Land Of Fiction ho!

I dunno; at least Navi probably wouldn't start crushing on him.
    Plus I'm pretty sure Billie piper actually said "hey, listen" far more than was comfortable…

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    teefurylink1.jpg

Land Of Fiction ho!

Woah. You need to slow down a bit on those serious allegations.

PSN: jfrofl
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ITT people are awfully sure how other people should manage their professional and personal lives

At least it's better than some corners of the internet where people actually say he owes it to fans to return and he's betraying fandom by not coming back. He owes no one anything.

• RemyLebeau_88RemyLebeau_88 Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    So, The Light At The End is fantastic. Every Doctor gets their turn in the spotlight and they all have a reason to be there. Everyone in it gives a great performance, Tom Baker especially is clearly enjoying himself. The story itself is a bit of a nice mish-mash, feeling a little bit like Classic Who and Modern Who. I would heartily recommend it (though it does seem to be quite expensive which I imagine would turn quite a few people off).

Is there any backstory that's needed before listening or anything this would spoil about 8's stories? I've only seen 9 and onward but want to pick up McGann's audio episodes the next time Big Finish has a sale.

steam_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ITT people are awfully sure how other people should manage their professional and personal lives

At least it's better than some corners of the internet where people actually say he owes it to fans to return and he's betraying fandom by not coming back. He owes no one anything.

Given that he's the new who first doctor, I agree.

To a point.

This is a show with a 50 year history. It is the longest running sci-fi show of all time. It has a massive fan base and is known for doing reunion stuff. If you accept a role on this show and then flat out refuse to ever come back, it's kinda lame, especially if you know all that stuff going in. Now, since the show was being rebooted, I understand if he didn't really realize all that, and I understand if he had a shitty time on the set. But to say to a massive amount of people who are fans of you personally that you aren't going to ever consider coming to make a guest appearance, not because of scheduling or anything, but because "meh I don't do that" seems kinda dickish. I get where he's coming from, but I think he's being a bit pompous about the whole deal. There's absolutely an expectation about this sort of thing with this show, and a precedent for it.

I can't imagine any doctor or major character from this point forward will be able to get away with that sort of thing. I imagine just by signing up to be in the show, knowing Eccleston's whole deal, the show runners are cautious about explaining that to people.

I don't think he's betraying fandom, it just seems kinda rude. The comment about "oh I'll come back for the 100th" especially.

SniperGuy wrote: »
    If you accept a role on this show and then flat out refuse to ever come back, it's kinda lame, especially if you know all that stuff going in.

KAQ6rWt.jpg
    you aren't going to ever consider coming to make a guest appearance

As has been mentioned numerous times over the past few months, he did consider it.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well, he didn't give enough of a hoot to even chat about it a little on the Doctor Who Revisited specials they've been doing. And they got everybody else who's still alive.

Speaking of, does McGaan care either? People have been saying he's been doing a shit ton of audio plays, and even recorded a brief voice clip for the trailer, but he also didn't show up.

Either way, I don't really care and I'm not going to hold it against him. It would be nice, but his choice and all that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    McGann wasn't asked to show up, IIRC.

Wow, really? Someone must have some major grudge against him. McGann really, really wants to come back on screen. Which makes it double sad that he hasn't been given the opportunity. There's a video out somewhere of when he revealed his new costume and sonic at a convention and he was so enthusiastic about it.

I haven't seen his Revisited special, but I heard that they didn't even mention his twelve years as the Doctor in audio.

Shameful.

edited October 2013
    Wow, really? Someone must have some major grudge against him. McGann really, really wants to come back on screen. Which makes it double sad that he hasn't been given the opportunity. There's a video out somewhere of when he revealed his new costume and sonic at a convention and he was so enthusiastic about it.

I haven't seen his Revisited special, but I heard that they didn't even mention his twelve years as the Doctor in audio.

Shameful.

I'm pretty sure they were just trying to keep it within the 2000-era relaunch, and it wasn't anything personal towards McGann. They didn't ask any of the remaining first seven doctors either, as far as I know.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2013

Shameful.

I'm pretty sure they were just trying to keep it within the 2000-era relaunch, and it wasn't anything personal towards McGann. They didn't ask any of the remaining first seven doctors either, as far as I know.

No, they totally did. Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy. They all showed up on their revisit and talked about stuff. Shit, for 8 they even got the woman and asian companions to talk for a bit. Makes me wonder if they asked the guy who played the Master too, but sadly he wasn't on there.

No 8 though. And if they really didn't ask... wtf indeed.

edit: And just FYI to be super clear, I'm talking about these things. I don't know if they were specially made for BBC America, or some UK thing. It was interesting stuff though.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited October 2013
    If you accept a role on this show and then flat out refuse to ever come back, it's kinda lame, especially if you know all that stuff going in.

KAQ6rWt.jpg
    you aren't going to ever consider coming to make a guest appearance

As has been mentioned numerous times over the past few months, he did consider it.

In regards to that picture...yes, exactly?
    As for him considering it, he didn't, really. They had some meetings, where apparently he just kept saying "Nah, I don't do that." because he thinks it'll be bad for his career or something. I don't think he ever seriously considered it. His sarcastic comments kinda cement that. I may be wrong about that, because, hell, I wasn't at the meetings. But every report I've seen seems to send that message.

I mean, personally, if thousands of people were hoping I'd come back to something and asking me to do it, I'd probably do it. I just don't see the downside.

SniperGuy on
    Sometimes, I wonder whether the production team would rather forget about McGann. They show him as existing but kind of don't acknowledge him beyond that.

@SniperGuy That's not Tom Baker. The longest serving and most well known actor in the role effectively refused to have anything to do with Doctor Who from his departure till the early '90s. This included pulling out of The Five Doctors and his wax model from Madame Tussauds being used in all the publicity photographs for the 20th anniversary.

McGann is awesome and I wish they'd bring him around. His new costume thing especially.

I don't know enough about the 20th to compare, honestly. If the show was in dire straights at the time and didn't have the massive following it has now, I can understand not wanting to be associated with it. Although at the 20 year mark I doubt that was the case. If it's a similar thing to Eccleston of just "Nah, I'm done and WILL NEVER RETURN BECAUSE I SAID SO" then, well just because there may be a precedent doesn't mean it's okay to do it.

The stories I heard were that Eccleston had such a horrible time, or was treated like shit by the crew or something, and that's why he doesn't want anything to do with it ever again. Which seemed a bit off to me, because that crew isn't a part of the show anymore, and I'm sure Moffat would have at least apologized for what it would be worth.

But I don't really want to gossip on shit I don't know about. It is what it is. If he really like it, but just has a policy of not looking back ever, that's fine. A bit of a bummer, but fine.

The show was doing pretty well back then. Nowhere near now, of course. It was rather unfortunate Baker did pull out, because it caused a ground-up script rewrite and even a retitling of the anniversary special. IIRC, it was a little of Baker wanting to distance himself from the role after being the Doctor for so long, but he got pretty stubborn about it.

Eccleston is a bit funny about his 'never bathe in the same river twice' rule, but it's his thing and even though he wavered, he's sticking to it. And that's his choice and his decision and I can respect that. I'd love to see him come back, but I don't feel he owes it to us or anyone else to do so.

In other news, apparently Amazon Prime has all of Season 7 up, so I am rewatching to prep for the 50th. About to get sad about Amy and Rory all over again.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's no factor more important, or that matters at all, to be honest, than the fact the he doesn't want to do it. It is absolutely ok for him to not do something he doesn't want to do.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    So, The Light At The End is fantastic. Every Doctor gets their turn in the spotlight and they all have a reason to be there. Everyone in it gives a great performance, Tom Baker especially is clearly enjoying himself. The story itself is a bit of a nice mish-mash, feeling a little bit like Classic Who and Modern Who. I would heartily recommend it (though it does seem to be quite expensive which I imagine would turn quite a few people off).

Is there any backstory that's needed before listening or anything this would spoil about 8's stories? I've only seen 9 and onward but want to pick up McGann's audio episodes the next time Big Finish has a sale.

Nope. The story is very self-contained.

Shameful.

No, they totally did. Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy. They all showed up on their revisit and talked about stuff. Shit, for 8 they even got the woman and asian companions to talk for a bit. Makes me wonder if they asked the guy who played the Master too, but sadly he wasn't on there.

No 8 though. And if they really didn't ask... wtf indeed.

edit: And just FYI to be super clear, I'm talking about these things. I don't know if they were specially made for BBC America, or some UK thing. It was interesting stuff though.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the 50th. Dunno about the documentary stuff.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if they're releasing series 1-4 on blu-ray outside of the complete collection?

It's the first time they've been on blu-ray and I haven't seen anything about them up individually.

I just don't really have the money for the complete collection but at the same time I don't want to miss out on ever getting those first few seasons on blu-ray if possible.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I think they're supposed to become available as individual BR sets at a later date, but don't take that as gospel.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    I'm not entirely sure if they're worth getting on Bluray. Prior to 2009, none of it was filmed in HD, so as far as I know, they just did some upscaling work on everything before Planet of the Dead.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I really want the doctor to hook back up with Jack Harkness.

If for no other reason than I really want to see the doctors reaction to the 456 incident and miracle day, even though the doctor should know about miracle day since Rory and Amelia, if I recall right, come from the time on earth when the miracle happened so it should have affected them.

Well wouldn't Amy and Rory be with the Doctor when that happened? I believe they mentioned the Doctor knowing about the 456 thing but was too ashamed of humans to show up or something.

Jack should totally come back though, because Jack is awesome.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure if they're worth getting on Bluray. Prior to 2009, none of it was filmed in HD, so as far as I know, they just did some upscaling work on everything before Planet of the Dead.

I was trying to find information on that myself. I saw some comments that said they'd be slightly improved but not in full high definition, and some that said they would be full-on HD.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Well wouldn't Amy and Rory be with the Doctor when that happened? I believe they mentioned the Doctor knowing about the 456 thing but was too ashamed of humans to show up or something.

Jack should totally come back though, because Jack is awesome.

I was more leaning towards the doctors reaction to Jack killing his own grandchild to stop the 456.

from what I understand, Amy and Rory didn't leave until after the miracle in the timeline. but then again, when did timelines matter when everythings so wibbly wobbly timey wimey boil an egg at 50 paceys.

edited October 2013
    It's the start of the last episode of Children of Earth when Gwen talks to the camera. It's not specifically stated that the Doctor knew, but... it's one of my favourite moments from Torchwood.
    There's one thing I always meant to ask Jack. Back in the old days. I wanted to know about that Doctor of his. The man who appears out of nowhere and saves the world. Except sometimes he doesn't. All those times in history when there was no sign of him, I wanted to know why not. But I don't need to ask any more. I know the answer now. Sometimes the Doctor must look at this planet and turn away in shame.

I wonder whether Miracle Day is still in the Doctor Who continuity, though. Maybe it was erased by the crack.

Edit: Man, I look away for five minutes and I'm already two posts behind.

I was trying to find information on that myself. I saw some comments that said they'd be slightly improved but not in full high definition, and some that said they would be full-on HD.

Damn you, internets!

Cyvros on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gwen's little spiel is pure hand wavy horeshit. Not even the characters buy that, they just didn't want to shell out/there was no time to get the Doctor in the show.

Well, there often is the question of why the Doctor isn't always there to save them from alien incursions. I mean, UNIT, Sarah Jane and Torchwood were dealing with them all the damn time.

I thought it was a nice way of acknowledging it while also reminding us that Children of Earth is all about humanity's potential for awfulness.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Considering he has a time machine and just joy rides in it, really, fuck the Doctor. He SHOULD be there for every major crisis. But I suppose they're all fixed points in time...And note if I had a time machine I would so not do any of the universe saving shit at all, but since I don't have one it doesn't matter, now does it. :P

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    tumblr_mve3n9D4Iz1qijoeyo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mve3pxDy3p1qijoeyo1_500.jpg

Also trolling you say...........who knows what that means
    95gp.jpg

Man, if that's just trolling I'm going to be so sad.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    How cool would it be if back when Christopher Eccleston met up with Steven Moffat, the two of them hatched the ultimate spoiler counter-measure. Its so hard to keep a secret these days, but everybody who cares enough to follow pre-production stuff for Doctor Who knows that the Ninth Doctor isn't gonna show up.

And then if he did show up?! Oh man.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Eh, as much as I'd love to see Eccleston in the 50th, I don't think a pic of him and Clarke indicates anything. Clarke just had a featured role in a major movie recently, and Eccleston has a movie coming out shortly. It's not impossible that they'd cross paths and since they know each other take a pic.

A lot of folks seem to be stretching pretty hard to try to get hype that 8 and 9 might show up; but best case scenario is that one or both have a relatively quick cameo...and that would probably just make people bitch even more "why weren't they in it more!?!?". There's just no winning. :(

Moffat is decent at keeping secrets, but not so good that he could hide Mcgann and Eccleston both doing filming.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

He could if they were listed as special guests for a Top Gear Special in Ukraine or something….

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Oh, I agree that the picture probably doesn't mean anything, and I certainly won't be automatically disappointed if Nine doesn't show up or anything.

It would just be great.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Nine just showing up for an unannounced cameo, a crowning moment of badass in the climax would be, well...fantastic.

But it's not going to happen.
    Please let it happen.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
This discussion has been closed.