As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret World - Legends out 6/26/17

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Well raid training went well. Got to phase 2 a few times but struggled with that. Would have loved to try some more but our sponsors had to leave. At least I can say I've been to the raid now lol.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So apparently people have been giving the guy who runs Unfair.co shit because real-life family issues have been taking up their time and causing updates to be slow.

...I say those people should be hunted down and fed to the Filth.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Life is...

• Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    I'd say that they should be fed to my razor wire but it seems that would be ineffective.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
    In retrospect, not quite sure how much different the scumbags would be if we fed them to the filth. They're probably already pretty filthy.

persona4celestia.jpg
    They'd probably be less lucid and a lot more GRAWR!

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    They're clearly already filthy with those octopus fingers in their heads.

steam_sig.png
    So I just found out about the problems with respawning in instances. *sigh*

DarkPrimus wrote: »

What problems/instances?

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So apparently people have been giving the guy who runs Unfair.co shit because real-life family issues have been taking up their time and causing updates to be slow.

...I say those people should be hunted down and fed to the Filth.

Running an mmo wikia is one of the most thankless jobs in existence.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

What problems/instances?

Was trying to do The Organ Harvesters quest, although my gear is a little under-level for it. Well, I get killed by them. Except that when you die, your own choice for ressurection is in the basement where you were fighting them... where they are already spawned, and hostile... so by the time the loading screen goes away and you have control of your character you're down to a couple hundred hit points.

amnesiasoft was in the channel at the time and recommended I log out and come back later, because apparently that's the only solution out of that.

Aha. Yeah, that bites. I really want to build a gaming rig with an SSD so I can slap TSW on it and not have those long load times.

edited October 2013
    So Steam has a new edition of TSW up, where it comes with the base game, issues 5-7, and the Plague Doctor outfit on sale for Halloween for $29.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    ...If I bought a non-Steam copy of the game, and I buy a Steam copy of the game, will it give me a free month of subscription again?

Stole this from our RP forums, which in turn copied it from the official ones:
    Massively dot com is having a poll for best Halloween event. The Secret World is in second place to GW2 and I would love to see TSW beat their pants off! NOBODY does Halloween like The Secret World.

Scroll down the page of the link and you will see the poll.
    --Vote for TSW best Halloween event!!

Your RP forums a bit dated. TSW is beating the pants off everything at the moment :P

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So Steam has a new edition of TSW up, where it comes with the base game, issues 5-7, and the Plague Doctor outfit on sale for Halloween for $29.

Yeah, so ... I guess I kinda accidentally bought it. At that price, I mean, it's hard to say no.

I understand that there's pretty princess dress-up, and guns? So Arcadia is the place to be, it seems; please tell me we're Templar?

edited October 2013
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah, so ... I guess I kinda accidentally bought it. At that price, I mean, it's hard to say no.

I understand that there's pretty princess dress-up, and guns? So Arcadia is the place to be, it seems; please tell me we're Templar?
    Dimension is only relevant for PvP purposes. You can meet up and play with anyone from any dimension. TSW's single server architecture is basically second only to Cryptic's stuff. Faction also limits who you can PvP with, but has no significant effect on PvE.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    What @amnesiasoft said. Feel free to roll whatever- as stated in the OP, the PA cabals are essentially defunct, but the real communication occurs in the #PA channel anyways.

And one of our mods just saw it and posted the link earlier today (re: poll). :P

After we parted ways last night I found some friendly folks to group up with and got Jack finished off with almost no difficulties. Partnering up with pubs in TSW seems a mite less risky than other MMOs.

• KiasKias Registered User regular
    Think I am going to revisit this game with the girlfriend. Thematically, she should love it, though I am a bit afraid the skill system might be intimidating. Can you just set it so it pursues one of those classes (that unlock the outfit) and guides your skill choices early on?

Generally speaking, how has the game fared in the last year? Its been awhile since I played but I remember having lots of fun after release. Glad they moved away from subscriptions!

steam_sig.png

Well I just started playing it about a month ago and I've been having a good time. I'd recommend taking a good hard look at the beginner decks and thinking about one of those, rather than gambling like I did and trying to figure out a good combination by yourself. What I did after completing a starter deck was look at some of the advanced decks, think about what ones I might like, and worked on a second beginner deck that would eventually tie into one of the advanced decks I was interested in. So now I've got three weapons I have a lot of skills with, so I can adjust my play style a little bit depending on the situation.

edited October 2013
    Kias wrote: »
    Think I am going to revisit this game with the girlfriend. Thematically, she should love it, though I am a bit afraid the skill system might be intimidating. Can you just set it so it pursues one of those classes (that unlock the outfit) and guides your skill choices early on?

Generally speaking, how has the game fared in the last year? Its been awhile since I played but I remember having lots of fun after release. Glad they moved away from subscriptions!

In the Ability Wheel, you can select any deck (starter, your faction) and the wheel will indicate which parts of it and what powers you need in order to complete it. It does not buy your abilities automatically, but this will help you keep track of what you're missing.

In this example:

tsw_wheel2_1336762300.jpg

See the sections with red numbers? That means you need abilities in those portions of the wheel for the currently selected deck, and the number in the circle tells you how many abilities in that section you need. (Red = not purchased yet, yellow = some have been purchased, green = all required abilities purchased).

And the game has been moving along swimmingly. There's a nice variety of things to do, and the storyline is well-written, and new content keeps coming.

ringswraith on
    By the way, if you own a non-Steam version of The Secret World, I can tell you that buying the Steam version of The Secret World (specifically the Halloween-special version with all the DLC for basically the price of the DLC) will get you another month of subscriber benefits. Just right-click on TSW in Steam and "View CD Key" then sign into your TSW account on the TSW website and put the CD Key into "Key Registration". You'll have to link up your Steam profile to your FunCom account, but that's as complicated as signing into your Steam account.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    wait, how much are the DLCs normally?
    I have Freeborn, and I was thinking about grabbing the others & coming back to the game for a bit anyway, but $30 for both and a not terrible outfit and $10 worth of points sounds pretty good.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    wait, how much are the DLCs normally?
    I have Freeborn, and I was thinking about grabbing the others & coming back to the game for a bit anyway, but $30 for both and a not terrible outfit and $10 worth of points sounds pretty good.

The DLC is $10 each and generally all the outfits are $10 each.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    Excellent, thanks for the feedback!

How much do the DLCs actually add? I grabbed a copy of the base game since I could just get the DLC's later if it turned out I am able to recruit my better half and a few other buddies. I also didn't want to have content that locked out some of the people I am trying to get back in to the game. It may not be a bad idea to get her the xp bonus stuff since I tend to get a bit ahead of her in progression sometimes.

Oh, and how has the balance of the game faired? One of the big draws I remember was that pretty much everything was viable (though there was always certain builds that stuck out). Have they done a good job keeping a wide range of skills viable or will you run in to problems finding dungeon groups without certain set ups?

Though I guess that doesn't matter as much with PA groups and friends, but its still good to know!

steam_sig.png

Check the OP for the post about issues. Those are very brief descriptions, but each one adds new missions, some add aux weapons and other goodies. I've yet to have any major complaints about the issues, really.

As for builds, you're still able to use whatever you want for soloing, but YMMV. There are mobs in the game that punish certain builds, but in my opinion that's part of the fun of learning the Ability Wheel.

Now when it comes to groups, you are more limited in your choices- especially in end-game areas like Nightmare dungeons. Tanks need these, DPS's need those, healers need these... There's a little bit of leeway, but there are more expectations from others.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    WANT WANT WANT

Some more info about Issue 8 with some interesting details...

Also someone just informed me that it is now possible to loot the bloody pumpkinhead from the 2012 green bags, and thus complete the achievement for it.

There's an achievement for getting stuff from the trick or treat bags?

And I thought you people told me clothes don't come in the green bags? :P

edited October 2013
    They didn't. The loot table was messed up and nobody knew if that was intentional or not.

Edit:
    On Issue 8: Looks like we'll be getting a custom 10.1 waist piece, based on those screenshots. Signet of the Undying Roar (tank), Signet of Saint Mark (heal), Signet of Venice (DPS). The respective pieces appear to be Sondon's Mantle, Winged Lion Buckle, and Castigating Chains.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    What Rose said. Since the event started people were farming for green bags in the hopes of getting that missing pumpkinhead. When it never dropped, they mentioned it on the official forums.

I suppose they actually fixed it, so I'll be doing some farming of my own tonight.

I wonder what those signets do.

Yeah, it's definitely there now. Opened 4 bags and got it.

steam_sig.png
    Awesome.

Anyone have any plans for tonight, seeing as it's Halloween?

Awesome.

Anyone have any plans for tonight, seeing as it's Halloween?

I'm not to Transylvania yet, but if you wanted me to share the quest we could hit up the Cat God

So, personally confirmed, the green 2012 bags do drop the pumpkinhead needed for the Dead Ahead achievement.

I also got brown handwraps from one, as well as some glamours. Not sure if there are any other clothing items to get from those bags.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Is there a list of the clothes from the 2013 stuff? Blue/purple bags?

steam_sig.png
    Let's see... From the blue 2013 bags, you should get:

bloody police uniform
    bloody biker jacket
    post-surgical abdominal wraps, bloody
    surgical gloves, bloody
    bloody leather cap

Then Jack drops a couple of pumpkinheads (grinning, and grinning bloody). And when you complete all the 2013 missions, you get a yellow Brain Dead t-shirt.

Also, a change: the normal version of the current Filth mission no longer has a cooldown. You can run it until you go mad. Also, the NM version has been upgraded and now gives 4 fragments instead of 3.