As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2k games says everyone in family should buy Bioshock.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys, i work for Nintendo. Sorry to do this, but we're recalling all the Wiis. And you have to pay for them. Sorry.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The real stupidity of this policy is the very slippery slope of ownership.

Remember a few years ago when Microsoft started activation of products such as Office, limiting them to one, or two computers at a time. People whined about how it affected families who loaded the program up on all the computers in their house. Microsoft then released a student/teacher version that could load up on three computers no problem. Microsoft was right, as different computers should probably have different licenses, especially when you're running the same program at the same time, across three different machines.

Now what if Microsoft had a limit to the amount of people that could use Windows on the same machine, unless they paid for additional licenses. There would be no quelling that shitstorm. Even if this 2K guy is an outside contractor, he's an idiot and an ass and 2K needs to backpedal from that blatant disrespect for consumer rights.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Out of interest, how long did bioshock last without getting cracked?

Rook on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rook wrote: »

Far be it from me to trust everything I read on the internet, but a quick Googling came up with September 1st. I will not link the source as that's probably a breach of forum rules and lawful behavior.

If true, the DRM held out for 10 days.

A series of questions I'd like answered are:
    --how much did it cost to license SecuRom?
    --how much did it cost to maintain and run their license servers?
    --how much did they project to earn from pirates buying their software instead of waiting for the crack?
    --how much do they project to lose over the ill will spread over the DRM hullaballo?

As for the DRM, my personal take is this:

I love my computer like one of my children and giving it Bioshock was akin to feeding it a banana split sundae with just a little poison in it. No doubt it would have changed my buying decision had 2K Games simply labeled Irrational's delicious sundae with the warning: "this contains Salmonella(SecuRom). Process Explorer won't work. If you uninstall the program, it will leave behind hidden remains. You are limited to three installs until we follow up with an install recovery tool at an arbitrary future date."

As it is, they snuck all this garbage in undisclosed, thus marking 2K Games as a distributor I cannot trust with the safety of my computer.

I'm not questioning their right to put whatever kind of nefarious DRM scheme they deem necessary on their discs, but they need to be up front about it. I know a lot of PC gamers who couldn't care less, but it means a lot for those of us who do.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    you know, thats a pretty good point, Id really like to see the numbers of people that bought the game thinking it couldnt be pirated, or couldnt wait for a crack, vs the cost of the DRM. Also Id like to see the number of people that would of never bought it if they thought it was easier to just copy it, seperate and added in.

I really feel like theres just no way the numbers add up to the cost of the DRM, but im not working in the games/distribution insdustry.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think that is a big issue with me is that they don't tell you before you buy the product that they will be doing any of this.

You purchase your PC version of Bioshock and go to install it and find out. Too late for you to return it because you don't want that.

I just think it is deceptive and underhanded. They're no better than the pirates in my opinion.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slacktron wrote: »

Far be it from me to trust everything I read on the internet, but a quick Googling came up with September 1st. I will not link the source as that's probably a breach of forum rules and lawful behavior.

To be fair, that's a good deal above average. The last game I remember that lasted that long was Hitman Contracts, and that was because the group cracking it got raided by the feds before they could release it.

Of course, that was around the time I went clean anyway, so there could have been something since then. Point is, in the scene, 10 days is a long time for this stuff; usually the games are on illegal channels before they hit retail shelves.

Now, if this actually resulted in a net gain of money or if all it accomplished was annoying pirates for a week and a half (and annoying paying customers forever) is the real question.

I do know that I'm not buying Bioshock until this shit gets sorted out.

Daedalus on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    horseshit is 5 installations enough. I've installed daggerfall like ten times. If I buy a game I expect to be able to play it for years and years regardless of how many times I change computers, and saying that I can call and get my keys back doesn't help, because companies go bust all the time. Fuck Bioshock.

Tube on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Houn wrote: »

Darn straight it is. This is the only reason I even looked at Gal Civ 2, and I haven't looked back since. Stardock are one of the few companies to have the guts to do something like this, and I applaud them for this and buy their games because of it. That simple.

subedii on
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

To be fair, that's a good deal above average. The last game I remember that lasted that long was Hitman Contracts, and that was because the group cracking it got raided by the feds before they could release it.

Of course, that was around the time I went clean anyway, so there could have been something since then. Point is, in the scene, 10 days is a long time for this stuff; usually the games are on illegal channels before they hit retail shelves.

Now, if this actually resulted in a net gain of money or if all it accomplished was annoying pirates for a week and a half (and annoying paying customers forever) is the real question.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Also I heard that 2k's next game will require you to submit a DNA sample to activate your game. Also you will only be allowed to play the game between the hours of 1 and 3 PM, on Tuesday's. After finishing the game, you must return it to 2k, and pay to return it at that.

Phanman on
    edited September 2007
    Phanman wrote: »

Also I heard that 2k's next game will require you to submit a DNA sample to activate your game. Also you will only be allowed to play the game between the hours of 1 and 3 PM, on Tuesday's. After finishing the game, you must return it to 2k, and pay to return it at that.

On a serious note, how long will it be before we're expected to pay more money if we want to play the game again after beating it?

Daedalus on
    edited September 2007

On a serious note, how long will it be before we're expected to pay more money if we want to play the game again after beating it?

I was only partially joking, since some companies obviously continually try to step down a slippery slope.

We're already paying for "incomplete" games that make us pay for downloadable content that arguably should have been included in the first place.

I think what you asked is unlikely, but you never know.

-edit- Thinking about it for a second, something that is likely is having another download service like Steam, but one that would require you to re-buy the game to download it more than once.

Phanman on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    horseshit is 5 installations enough. I've installed daggerfall like ten times. If I buy a game I expect to be able to play it for years and years regardless of how many times I change computers, and saying that I can call and get my keys back doesn't help, because companies go bust all the time. Fuck Bioshock.

Probably should have bought the 360 version then. You would be enjoying the game by now :lol:

The_Scarab on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Probably should have bought the 360 version then. You would be enjoying the game by now :lol:

Unfortunately it would have to be the imagination version as I do not have a 360

Tube on
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

To be fair 2K had no option to include protection on their game. It is single player only, with no multiplayer. People who pirate games are less likely to do so if the game has a strong MP which would require a legitimate sale. Hence why pirating of games like CS or WoW is so low proportional to the player base.

Bioshock has no online mode, nor any multiplayer. So if you could crack the game you would have no incentive to purchase it legitimately, even if you have no scruples to begin with.

While your post does go with my opinions, and I totally agree, making a good product will sell itself, with such a high profile game with no online it would have harmed sales considerably.

In my opinion, 2K should have released the game on Steam first, or promoted the Steam version more. I fully believe Steam will keep growing into a first stop for PC game purchases before long. Its copy protection is also simple yet effective. And once again, they prove that quality far outweighs protection when it comes to combating piracy.

Unfortunately it would have to be the imagination version as I do not have a 360

Fair enough. To be perfectly honest, I can see why PC owners would be pissed off by all this crap, but I think once it gets fixed Bioshock will be a premier PC title. Much like Half Life 2. Does anyone remember HL2 launch? Steam servers crumbled, you couldnt even play the game until it unlocked and this took days even weeks. There were much more serious problems with that game and yet it all blew over and people have forgotten those issues.

Bioshock is the same. You are right to complain now, and I hope the community is vocal enough so this crap doesnt continue. but to act as though problems wont be fixed ever, or that Bioshock is somehoe ruined for life is a little wrong. Complain more about the time it is taking for the fix, not that a fix isnt coming (untrue) or that the game is broken due to it (it isnt)

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    -edit- Thinking about it for a second, something that is likely is having another download service like Steam, but one that would require you to re-buy the game to download it more than once.

I don't think that would be very successful, if Steam was still around to compete with it. I mean, who would want to pay their money for that?

Daedalus on
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wanted to buy Bioshock on my PC, but with 2k limiting me to 5 installations for a game I legally purchased.

Wait, what?

Five installations as in five seperate installations at the same time, i.e. five different machines, or five installations over the life of owning the game, period? 'Cause shit, man, there are PC games that I've installed seven, eight, nine times. Not just when switching PCs, either, but when I periodically clear things out then get the urge to go revisit SimCity or whatever. I've probably installed Unreal Tournament a dozen times over the course of my last three PCs.

Am I reading that wrong?

Shoegaze99 on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

To be fair 2K had no option to include protection on their game. It is single player only, with no multiplayer. People who pirate games are less likely to do so if the game has a strong MP which would require a legitimate sale. Hence why pirating of games like CS or WoW is so low proportional to the player base.

Bioshock has no online mode, nor any multiplayer. So if you could crack the game you would have no incentive to purchase it legitimately, even if you have no scruples to begin with.

While your post does go with my opinions, and I totally agree, making a good product will sell itself, with such a high profile game with no online it would have harmed sales considerably.

In my opinion, 2K should have released the game on Steam first, or promoted the Steam version more. I fully believe Steam will keep growing into a first stop for PC game purchases before long. Its copy protection is also simple yet effective. And once again, they prove that quality far outweighs protection when it comes to combating piracy.

Heh. You DO realize GalCiv 2, the game those quotes are about, has no copy protection? And that its single-player only?

The fact is Bioshock WAS cracked, and quickly. Therefore the copy protection only servers to annoy actual customers, probably costing more sales than it saved in early-run piracy.

Also, the Steam version has Securerom as well. So I don't see what difference promoting it would have done.

Phoenix-D on
    edited September 2007
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    I really wanted to buy Bioshock on my PC, but with 2k limiting me to 5 installations for a game I legally purchased.

Wait, what?

Five installations as in five seperate installations at the same time, i.e. five different machines, or five installations over the life of owning the game, period? 'Cause shit, man, there are PC games that I've installed seven, eight, nine times. Not just when switching PCs, either, but when I periodically clear things out then get the urge to go revisit SimCity or whatever. I've probably installed Unreal Tournament a dozen times over the course of my last three PCs.

Am I reading that wrong?

As long as you uninstall the game before installing it again you can install the game an infinite amount of times.

But

You can only have it installed on 5 PCs at any one time. no more. NO LESS!

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    (Guess I should just catch up on this thread)

Shoegaze99 on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

Wait, what?

Am I reading that wrong?

As long as you uninstall the game before installing it again you can install the game an infinite amount of times.

But

And unlike, say, iTunes, there's no button you can push that says "De-activate all my old computers". So if your HD dies, that activation is GONE unless you call up SecureROM and they believe that it died.

Phoenix-D on
    edited September 2007

But

Ahhh, okay. Thanks. My brief outrage has subsided. That's really not bad at all. 'Tis no different - and is in fact better - than what a lot of high-end software allows.

As long as I can reinstall eight billion times without hassle, I'm happy.

I have to go install on four more machines now to meet the five-PC minimum ... :)

Shoegaze99 on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On the galactic civ, I remember that when it came around, its pretty much lead to the death of starforce on several fronts(I think, i havent seen many US games come out with it recently), but its been so long that many people have forgotten again, and wont notice certain games have it when it comes out.

And thanks to that little miff, heroes of M&M 5 became starforce free after that little incident

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2007

I don't think that would be very successful, if Steam was still around to compete with it. I mean, who would want to pay their money for that?

And I hope it isn't successful either. At the same time though, that is exactly what iTunes does. It is easily the biggest issue I have with the service and I'd hate to see other DLC services do that same.

Phanman on
    edited September 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Heh. You DO realize GalCiv 2, the game those quotes are about, has no copy protection? And that its single-player only?

The fact is Bioshock WAS cracked, and quickly. Therefore the copy protection only servers to annoy actual customers, probably costing more sales than it saved in early-run piracy.

Also, the Steam version has Securerom as well. So I don't see what difference promoting it would have done.

Nono. The copy protection boosted sales by much more than were lost due to piracy. The first ten days Bioshock may have sold close to 400k copies.

The devs themselves have explicitly said also that the protection is only for the initial sales period, which I guess is 12 months. After that it will be deactivated and the game will have unlimited restrictions (but of course still with the cd key for install)

So I dont see what people are worrying about. Its just to protect sales of a game that honestly, deserves sales. 2K isnt exactly swimming in money, and the development of Bioshock has been long and costly. They are going to make money on the game for sure, a lot of money. but they need to. Irrational was a sinking ship a few years ago, we should be glad for 2k that they actually picked em up and published the game, rather than chastising them for trying to protect sales, which they have done.

SURE, it could have been handled better definetly. But dont act as though they are some evil corporation out to screw the customer like the RIAA or something. They had to protect sales in an industry rife with piracy. Its only on the PC version anyways, which has sold 1/10 of the 360 version from what I hear (but still sold extremely well) and the Steam version is not included in that.

The_Scarab on
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Funny story actually. I never heard of GalCiv2 until Starforce decided to be a bunch of cocks to Stardock. Just out of spite for Starforce, since I've hated them so much, I checked out a demo of GalCiv2, and loved it so much I simply had to buy the game. A few weeks ago I even bought the expansion pack and started playing again. Good times.

Getting off topic, just to funny, and since racism is funny (well, it can be), I created a race in GalCiv2 that had massive bonuses to population growth, colonizing worlds, and moral (so they can sustain higher populations). The strategy would basically involve spreading as fast as possible, packing as many people onto a planet as possible, and outbreeding all the other races, eventually causing their worlds near my to defect and/or spamming troops (immigrants) to all their worlds. I called this race the Mexicans, and their leader was Speedy Gonzolas.

I eventually deleted that game partially out of shame, since it was funny at the time, being slightly drunk, but ultimately I didn't want to play a whole game with that. Since that is still my favorite strategy though, I just did the same custom race over again, this time calling them The Hive. At any rate, a few weeks later a friend of mine fires up a game of GalCiv2, and bursts out laughing for no apparent reason. Apparently GalCiv2 had saved that Mexican race, and used it as a seed in my friends game.

Namrok on
    edited September 2007
    The devs themselves have explicitly said also that the protection is only for the initial sales period, which I guess is 12 months. After that it will be deactivated and the game will have unlimited restrictions (but of course still with the cd key for install)

Okay, that's cool, too. I have some issues with Steam and took the plunge with it ONLY because of Half-Life 2, which is the alpha and the omega. Generally, though, not a fan of having to check in remotely to play my game or of having to hope that in seven years I'll still be able to reinstall if I like. I have two desktops in my house that are only around to play some older games; they sit in a side room. They're not connected online, they're just filled with old favorites. I'd like to continue having the ability to do that with games I purchase.

Shoegaze99 on
    edited September 2007

And I hope it isn't successful either. At the same time though, that is exactly what iTunes does. It is easily the biggest issue I have with the service and I'd hate to see other DLC services do that same.
    iTunes doesn't really have a whole lot of competition, though. They certainly don't have anything that has a library nearly as large and the ability to redownload files.

sidenote: that's why I don't use iTunes either.

Daedalus on
    edited September 2007

2K is working to make this a reality, but as of today this is untrue.

From the Bioshock Technical FAQ:

Q: How many computers can I activate this game on at once?

A: 2K increased the maximum computers you can install the game simultaneously on from 2 to 5. We are also preparing a new “revoke application” that will allow you to de-authorize computers so that you may move the game to another computer without "using up" one of these activations. This increase in the limit will cover most users' issues, and the revoke application should alleviate remaining concerns. Of course, if you still experience any issues, please feel free to contact support.

Note that currently the "revoke application" is not available, so you can uninstall it all you like but you're not getting those installations back. As proven by this question:

Q: How do I free up an activation slot if I decide to uninstall my game from one computer and move it to another?

A: The revoke application we will release will make this possible.

Meaning: it is not possible without it.

I would also suggest not uninstalling the game to free up any licenses before the "revoke application" tool is available, as it may not recognize the previous installation. I'm not sure about that because even the uninstalled game leaves behind registry entries and a hidden directory that might be used to revoke a prior installation. Until the tool comes out, we can't know for sure.

But for now, my advice would be to wait it out. Don't put your money down until you know what you're buying.

Unless you own an Xbox360, in which case, go nuts.

slacktron on
    edited September 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Nono. The copy protection boosted sales by much more than were lost due to piracy. The first ten days Bioshock may have sold close to 400k copies.

Wait, what? Is there any logic here at all?

I think you're trying to say:
    1) Bioshock's copy protection lasted 10 days.
    2) In the first ten days, the game sold 400k copies.
    3) All of those 400k copies were from frustrated pirates.
    which doesn't actually make any goddamn sense.

There is no way of actually knowing if any of those sales are from people who just couldn't wait ten days to pirate the game. The only thing we can really do is compare sales to games that don't have crazy, draconian copy protection, i.e. GalCiv2. (And Stardock isn't exactly a flush-with-cash company either, you know; they certainly aren't publishing blockbusters like Oblivion and GTA, as Take-Two is).

Daedalus on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you are making a PC game, especially a single player one, you have to do anything in your power to stop easy piracy, otherwise your game just won't fucking sell. One of my old roomates was a primary pc gamer and the last fucking game he bought was Quake. Ridiculous.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you are making a PC game, especially a single player one, you have to do anything in your power to stop easy piracy, otherwise your game just won't fucking sell. One of my old roomates was a primary pc gamer and the last fucking game he bought was Quake. Ridiculous.

but it doesn't ever work

LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wish they would clear up whether or not this all applies to the Steam version. It seems as if whenever that question's asked it's always ignored or redirected to "that other company that's not us that's also partly involved here".

subedii on
    edited September 2007

But if none of the protections actually stop piracy, and in fact annoy the shit out of paying customers (and don't bother pirates at all, since they don't need to deal with them), then does it actually help? Again, GalCiv2 had no copy protection and sold gangbusters, while contemporary games with the obnoxious fucking Starforce3 protection sold in the shitter (and were just as easily pirated).

Daedalus on
    edited September 2007
    The copy protection boosted sales by much more than were lost due to piracy.

Can you cite your source on this, please?

slacktron on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

But if none of the protections actually stop piracy, and in fact annoy the shit out of paying customers (and don't bother pirates at all, since they don't need to deal with them), then does it actually help? Again, GalCiv2 had no copy protection and sold gangbusters, while contemporary games with the obnoxious fucking Starforce3 protection sold in the shitter (and were just as easily pirated).

Every sale counts when it comes to PC gaming. Unless its the Sims/WoW. Just think how many people must pirate the Sims, it boggles the mind.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No one should be uninstalling this game right now anyway. In 2 - 3 years time if they don't have that application out to give you back your activation... Then I can see everyone's gripe.

But for now: Keep the game installed anyway. Play through it again, and again... and again.

urahonky on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Every sale counts when it comes to PC gaming. Unless its the Sims/WoW. Just think how many people must pirate the Sims, it boggles the mind.

but 'The Sims' has copy protection, how could anyone possibly pirate it?

LewieP on