As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old S T E A M thread

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    Just saw that RPS got rid of Lewie.....why do I have a feeling it has something to do with their stance on PAX they started taking a month or so ago. =\

Man....

Remember the days of LewieP and all the comic edits people made of him in this thread? Those were good times. It's kind of weird being on these forums for so long and watching as the regulars change, with new people coming onboard and older regulars fading away for various reasons.
    ih0Zpm1ZB2fRu.jpg

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just saw that RPS got rid of Lewie.....why do I have a feeling it has something to do with their stance on PAX they started taking a month or so ago. =\

Man....

Remember the days of LewieP and all the comic edits people made of him in this thread? Those were good times. It's kind of weird being on these forums for so long and watching as the regulars change, with new people coming onboard and older regulars fading away for various reasons.
    []http://i5.minus.com/ih0Zpm1ZB2fRu.jpg

So as one of the new "kids" , can someone explained to me what RPS is, what this stance they have on PAX is, who LewieP is and why he was worthy of comic edits?

I feel like I'm missing something very funny :\

LostNinja on
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Crown Princess Elodie! Don't challenge that man to a duel! *DEAD*
    Crown Princess Elodie! Don't eat those chocolates! *DEAD*
    Crown Princess Elodie! Don't channel magic beyond human reckoning! *DEAD*
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Goddamn. I finally lived through LLTQ. Sheesh.

What kind of character was it?
    Enough accounting to get into the treasury then maxed magic, faith, and swords, with a sprinkling of other stuff. Absolutely zilch in any of the social stuff.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Man....

So as one of the new "kids" , can someone explained to me what RPS is, what this stance they have on PAX is, who LewieP is and why he was worthy of comic edits?

Rock Paper Shotgun is a PC-centric gaming website that had LewieP do a regular column called Bargain Bucket linking to deals on PC games every week. Recently RPS announced they aren't going to go to or cover PAX in protest to a number of comments Mike and Jerry have made about women and stuff. Let's not get derailed talking about whether or not they're justified in it - just like Mike and Jerry, even if they aren't always saying something you agree with that doesn't mean that they're terrible people who are never wrong.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Goddamn. I finally lived through LLTQ. Sheesh.

What kind of character was it?
    Enough accounting to get into the treasury then maxed magic, faith, and swords, with a sprinkling of other stuff. Absolutely zilch in any of the social stuff.
    Murder-Ready Queen with absolutely no social skills. If only the character had 0 accounting and no idea how to budget during steam sales it would be exactly like @Luchaire

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Man....

Rock Paper Shotgun is a PC-centric gaming website that had LewieP do a regular column called Bargain Bucket linking to deals on PC games every week. Recently RPS announced they aren't going to go to or cover PAX in protest to a number of comments Mike and Jerry have made about women and stuff. Let's not get derailed talking about whether or not they're justified in it - just like Mike and Jerry, even if they aren't always saying something you agree with that doesn't mean that they're terrible people who are never wrong.

Ah, thanks!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It amazes me when people take a stance on PAX like that but cover games that are blatantly misogynistic with no problem. Guys that disallow booth babes and run Child's Play are evil because of a few misspeaks, but covering companies that make Duke Nukem or fighting games with women wearing nothing are A-OK because they're paid advertisers.

Topic for another thread though. I didn't realize LewieP stopped posting... His Mum is still around!

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    Ha, I'm surprised anyone here remembers me!

I'm not really discussing it yet, but the PAX stuff was absolutely not a factor in them deciding to sack me.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Man....

And to add to that, LewieP was a regular here. Comic edits were made of him because of some things he said in here; I don't remember exactly what they were, but they were critical of Valve/Steam and some of their sales practices, I believe. The comic edits were pretty much just good-natured jabs and I think he found them funny too. Maybe.

Later on, his mom also became a regular on this forum. She drew paintings for people.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    LewieP wrote: »
    Ha, I'm surprised anyone here remembers me!

I'm not really discussing it yet, but the PAX stuff was absolutely not a factor in them deciding to sack me.

LEWIE! You're home! Quick, ask us about prices!

camo_sig.png
  • Options

Man....

And to add to that, LewieP was a regular here. Comic edits were made of him because of some things he said in here; I don't remember exactly what they were, but they were critical of Valve/Steam and some of their sales practices, I believe. The comic edits were pretty much just good-natured jabs and I think he found them funny too. Maybe.

Later on, his mom also became a regular on this forum. She drew paintings for people.
    Yeah, the comic edits were all in good fun. The other thing was that I would use people in the forum to tell me local pricing from some digital distributors (until I worked out how to use a proxy).

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Didn't you have your own site, I remember reviewing a Wii game for it... probably as Herby instead of this name...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It amazes me when people take a stance on PAX like that but cover games that are blatantly misogynistic with no problem. Guys that disallow booth babes and run Child's Play are evil because of a few misspeaks, but covering companies that make Duke Nukem or fighting games with women wearing nothing are A-OK because they're paid advertisers.

Topic for another thread though. I didn't realize LewieP stopped posting... His Mum is still around!

Boycotting PAX is part of RPS' larger stance on taking the industry to task on misogyny both in games and in gamer culture, so...

• Options
    Yes! SavyGamer.co.uk. It's going pretty well these days. Things will be a bit tight without my extra money from my RPS column, but I should be earning enough to get by OK.

• Options
    Hey does anyone know what price Euro Truck Simulator 2: Going East is on GamersGate in the US right now?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    There were only two LewieP edits, I think, but I guess they made an impact. First, the comics, then I shall explain them:

iGIvzVh8SzCfN.jpg

iYBGZVqvgXX0i.jpg

The first one refers to the time LewieP got mad at Valve because they were selling Steam games that were only available in some countries. Also his mom posts on these forums so she made it into the comic.

The first and second one also refer to a habit LewieP used to have of coming in here to ask Americans what the price of games was. This is because he runs his "where to buy games cheap" site SavyGamer but as a foreigner he was unable to check how much the games cost for Americans, which was information he wanted to post. Or something like that. In any case it got pretty ridiculous - he would be in here all the time asking "what's the price of X" and at one point he wasn't even asking about Steam games, they were just random games. So we made fun of him until he stopped. I think maybe a mod told him to cut it out. Anyways the story has a happy ending because last I heard he figured out how to use a proxy to check the prices or whatever.

The reference to "Suds" in that second comic is to a former thread regular, Alabaster Slim, also known for whatever reason as Suds. His avatar was Hellboy.

Note also on the first edit that the background at the top blended in with the old forums. On the new ones, not so much. Nostalgia!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Also, I have actually studied economics, and my arguments have been somewhat misquoted in these comics for comedic effect.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Steam In-Home Streaming beta will start later this year. Beta participants will be randomly selected from members of this group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream

Steam In-Home Streaming is a feature that will allow people to stream games from one computer to another anywhere in their house.

Man I hope this turns out as awesome as I hope it will turn out.

I might not be their target demographic (streaming gameplay from a powerful gaming PC to a lower powered HTPC/mediabox under the TV), but if I could stream games from my semi-decent desktop to my ancient laptop I'd be pretty happy. My only concern is what the minimum resolution will be on the receiving device, and how well Steam Streaming will handle downscaling. If I can have the game running at 1920x1080 on my desktop but have it stream letterboxed 1024x768 to the laptop that would be pretty great, because otherwise I'd have to change the resolution in the game's settings back and forth all the time.

I also wonder what sort of performance hit we're going to see. I tried streaming to twitch using obs and it didn't work out so well.
    Blackguards... has anyone played this yet? I only see one friend ( @Corpekata ) owning it and no play time listed.

It looks brain-meltingly awesome. And I have a humongous soft spot for turn-based games. And... and... Check out this manual! It's beautiful; it brings tears to my eyes.

Anyway, it seems a nice departure from pink princesses, so I find it tempting and hoped for some opinion(s) on it...

My god... that is a manual. That is the kind of manual we got before gamers got collective ADD and stopped reading manuals and publishers got collective greed and stopped caring about manuals.

Also re: lewie, his mother posting on the forums as Lewiep's mummy was absolutely hilarious, as was the time Tube was temporarily named Lewiep's stepdad.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I love those comics. I'm glad you posted them, TychoC, because my bookmarked Steam threads only go back to 2011 and I wasn't looking forward to digging past that. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Also how CPU dependent of Sonic Kitchen Sink Racing: Transformed? I'm not too far ahead of the CPU minimum, but I'd free and clear on GPU and RAM.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    LLTQ
    Arrow
    Arrow
    Poison
    Poison
    Overthrown
    Fled to allies after loosing battle.
    Fuck nasty is this game fun! Now I want to change to skin color of everyone.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    LewieP still has the best infraction on the boards when Tube (who was once "LewieP's Stepdad" for a time, in an extra layer of hilarity) hit one on him for disrespecting his mom.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    damn it steam thread. I can't not click on 100 unread posts

and I can't not see Long Live The Queen

and I can't not see blackguards

but Path of Exile isn't going anywhere, and neither are these two bundles I definitely didn't need to buy.

damn it steam thread

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    LLTQ
    Arrow
    Arrow
    Poison
    Poison
    Overthrown
    T...that sounds kinda bad. I mean...I really don't know the context for that last bit there, and it sounds kinda racist.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Suds isn't a former regular, he's still around, how dare you speak of him like he's dead! =P

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Suds isn't a former regular, he's still around, how dare you speak of him like he's dead! =P
    I said former thread regular. He's not in here as much as he used to be.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm getting forum flashbacks.

Remember Ikaruga?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    LLTQ
    Arrow
    Arrow
    Poison
    Poison
    Overthrown
    T...that sounds kinda bad. I mean...I really don't know the context for that last bit there, and it sounds kinda racist.

I want to see an Anime version of King Mansa Munsa, is that so wrong?

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    What about Ikaruga?
    Sine Mora is the new hotness

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    What about Ikaruga?

But what is the state of the demand?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That Princess Maker 2 LP is on a whole other level. Also, LLTQ is a day to day game with choices being made after each day. I guess I could just have really short, ideally more frequent updating?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    What about Ikaruga?

But what is the state of the demand?

frothing

• Options
    Leveraged some assets to reach a level 4 steam giveaway badge.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm getting forum flashbacks.

Remember Ikaruga?

Man, I had level 1 almost down to a science. Everything after that? Forget about it.

Speaking of which, it got greenlit a few weeks back.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Is this the nostalgia thread now?

So I've got this idea about a Gang

It may or may not involve daggers

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That Princess Maker 2 LP is on a whole other level. Also, LLTQ is a day to day game with choices being made after each day. I guess I could just have really short, ideally more frequent updating?

Actually, it's week to week - five days of study, events on weekends.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

Going to guess you don't read much RPS because what you said doesn't really apply to them much. They are like Giant Bomb in that they are self sustained and tend to cover whatever they want and aren't generally part of the Doritofest circuit.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Is this the nostalgia thread now?

So I've got this idea about a Gang

It may or may not involve daggers

Do these daggers fall?

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    About to get into the vampire castle in Castlevania.

This game is puuurrrrty. And fun too! I've pretty much forgotten everything since I played in on the Xbox so very long ago.