As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD: Don't post 'til you see the whites of their Steam sales!

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    So for those playing Pinball FX2, what view mode do you prefer? I've been sticking with the default one, but I'm not sure if one of the others might be better. I have to admit that I am tempted to get a monitor stand that lets me turn it on its side for the 90 degree mode, but that's probably not happening for a while.

1 / 1w or 2. Depends on the table I guess but I usually stay with 2. I think the other view modes follow the ball around and that is annoying to me.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 for $6.24:
    http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/active-discounts/euro-truck-simulator-2.html

SciFI Bundle for 3,12€:
    http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/ultimate-sci-fi-bundle/
    -Sword of the Stars II Enhanced Edition
    -Project Freedom
    -Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space
    -SpaceChem
    -SpaceChem: 63 Corvi DLC (add-on)
    -Really Big Sky
    -Planets Under Attack
    -Data Jammers: FastForward
    -Ion Assault

Lego Games at Game UK:
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/lego-super-bundle-209391?provenance=Download&categoryIdentifier=402102&attributeName1=Shop By&attributeValue1=107
    -LEGO Super Bundle £14.99
    -LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 £2.50
    -LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 £3.75
    -LEGO Lord of the Rings £5.00
    -LEGO Batman: The Video Game £2.50
    -LEGO Batman 2 £5.00

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Now that I've recovered from a 48-hour weekend of virtually non-stop playing of the TES Online beta, all I have to say is:

Day 1 purchase and subscription. Take my money, Zenimax/Bethesda.

Can you elaborate? What makes it worth the subscription? What does it do differently?

It's basically generic MMO with floaty animations, few skills, and a sparse UI, with only the vaguest trappings of anything related to the elder scrolls

But that's exactly what some people want so more power to them

Like for MMOs it's okay, so if you have to have an MMO in your life it's fine, perfectly acceptable, wholly average. For someone who's mostly done with the theme park MMO genre it doesn't bring anything new or interesting to the equation to warrant $60 + $15/month

I doubt I'd play it if it were free even, I just wish it had real time combat like TES (I know, it appears to, but it's standard MMO tab/target autotargetting gussied up to visually not appear to be that)

I must disagree quite a fair bit. :P

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Okay, tried Panzar. It's basically shitty Forge prettied up and with a shit free to play model on top of it.

Just go play Forge if it interests you.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Congratulations to:

signature.png
    @Veevee

Here also is your complimentary dsfix

signature.png
    @ResIpsaLoquitur

signature.png
    @Al Baron

signature.png
    @MuddBudd

Aistan on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    If you have the Indie Royale Debut 2 bundle then you have a shiny new Steam key for Beast Boxing Turbo.

Think Punch Out in a monster suit (you are literally a skinny girl in a monster suit fighting other monsters in boxing matches) with upgradeable stats and gear. I never got around to checking it out on Desura (3079 is probably to blame here) but I played it a little after adding it to my Steam account last night and had a fun time with it. The fighting is fast and intuitive with some pretty funny animations.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So I have finished, for all intents and purposes, Saints Row the Third, and am now moving on to another game I never got around to playing: The Witcher 1 & 2

I've heard terribly mixed reviews about the first one and pretty consistently awesome things about the second, should I jump straight to number 2 and just play the first game in some far flung future, or should I take the time to play the first game first? It seems to have a save carry-over similar to Dragon Age if the launcher for W2 is any indicator, is there a lot of content that I'll miss out on in that case?

Also, this is a thing until Saturday night:

signature.png

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    These end later tonight!
    Berylline wrote: »

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    This new Steam reviews thing is fantastic. I already reviewed a lot of my games because I was bored one day a few months ago. Now I'm getting around to reviewing the rest.

I find that people are quick with the down-voting when you leave negative reviews but when you talk about how awesome a game is, suddenly you're the Mark Twain of game reviews.

I'm surprised that there are no guidelines. I have reviews that basically say, "Why is this game in my library? It must have been free. Looks like crap. I never played it." and no problem. I guess they can be reported and removed but on what grounds? There's no guidelines. Also no rules against profanity so I let the expletives fly.

Anyway, it's awesome and I think I'm going to buy games just so I can write shitty reviews.

Henderson on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    SciFI Bundle for 3,12€:
    -Project Freedom
    -SpaceChem
    -Really Big Sky
    -Planets Under Attack
    -Ion Assault

Hngg.. please tell me bundlestars isn't reputable and that they have some convoluted way to get your steam keys @HiT BiT

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So I have finished, for all intents and purposes, Saints Row the Third, and am now moving on to another game I never got around to playing: The Witcher 1 & 2

I've heard terribly mixed reviews about the first one and pretty consistently awesome things about the second, should I jump straight to number 2 and just play the first game in some far flung future, or should I take the time to play the first game first? It seems to have a save carry-over similar to Dragon Age if the launcher for W2 is any indicator, is there a lot of content that I'll miss out on in that case?

I vote for play the first one. It's not perfect and has one tedious bit but overall is pretty damn good, with a story worth experiencing/RPing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Congratulations to:

signature.png
    @ResIpsaLoquitur

Thank you! I had this once upon a time, and since lost the discs. I never played it too much, but I played the heck out of its predecessor.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

I vote for play the first one. It's not perfect and has one tedious bit but overall is pretty damn good, with a story worth experiencing/RPing.

I'd say play the first as well. There is a lot of world building going on and the story leads directly into the second with your decisions having some impact in 2. You could play 2 right off the bat but I'm not sure what impact certain events that take place in the second would have without playing the first. Be forewarned, you're going to hate the swamp. Everyone hates the swamp. Just think of it as a Witcher rite of passage and trudge on. After that everything gets better.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Also, this is a thing until Saturday night:

signature.png

I say skip the Witcher games completely. Witcher 2 is easily one of the worst games I've ever played.

• Options
    Aw what? Now you have to have played a game for at least five minutes before you can review. This just happened as I was writing reviews. Somebody tell me if you get this as well or if it's just some kind of block on me. It's ridiculous because I played a lot of these games before they recorded how long you played the game.

• Options
    Henderson wrote: »
    Aw what? Now you have to have played a game for at least five minutes before you can review. This just happened as I was writing reviews. Somebody tell me if you get this as well or if it's just some kind of block on me. It's ridiculous because I played a lot of these games before they recorded how long you played the game.

That's absolutely fair and I doubt they singled you out.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    SciFI Bundle for 3,12€:
    -Project Freedom
    -SpaceChem
    -Really Big Sky
    -Planets Under Attack
    -Ion Assault

Hngg.. please tell me bundlestars isn't reputable and that they have some convoluted way to get your steam keys @HiT BiT

Unfortunately for your wallet they are pretty legit and the steam keys are pretty easy to get.

Isorn on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    SciFI Bundle for 3,12€:
    -Project Freedom
    -SpaceChem
    -Really Big Sky
    -Planets Under Attack
    -Ion Assault

I've done Bundlestars many times, it's pretty straightforward.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    So for those playing Pinball FX2, what view mode do you prefer? I've been sticking with the default one, but I'm not sure if one of the others might be better. I have to admit that I am tempted to get a monitor stand that lets me turn it on its side for the 90 degree mode, but that's probably not happening for a while.

I like to view the whole table so View 2 is the one I use the most and it's a fixed camera. As for moving camera views I like 5.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

I agree if you haven't actually played the game. But Steam only started recording how often you've played the game in the past few years. I played some of these games plenty but not since they started recording play time.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    signature.png
    @Veevee

There will be many deaths on your hands. I hope you're happy

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Ok so what game should I tackle next: DMC, Arkam City, or Hitman Absolution? Which one will take the least time to play though for someone who is more concerned about a great story than being a completionist and getting every collectible?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Hrnghh.... it's getting close now...

magic+conch.+found+on+my+facebook_4d1f89_3927994.jpg

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    A G2A.com is selling steam keys for Rocksmith 2014 for like 50% off. Has anyone used this site before? It's on the top of my wishlist.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    signature.png
    Veevee

The more people playing Dark Souls the happier I am.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    signature.png
    Veevee

I wish more people had this attitude. Really the best game of 2011.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Then it is decided. I will let Witcher 2 sit in the background until all my cards have dropped, and then I will install Witcher 1.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm a huge Dark Souls fan and I love that people are STILL playing it. It's the only game that I have beaten more than once and I still think about going and playing it more. Probably my favourite game ever.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Ok so what game should I tackle next: DMC, Arkam City, or Hitman Absolution? Which one will take the least time to play though for someone who is more concerned about a great story than being a completionist and getting every collectible?

Not having played DMC, I'd say Arkham City would be the shortest if you don't care about collectibles and optional story objectives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

kal wrote: »

I'd say play the first as well. There is a lot of world building going on and it leads directly into the second. You could play 2 right off the bat but I'm not sure what impact certain events that take place in the second would have without playing the first. Be forewarned, you're going to hate the swamp. Everyone hates the swamp. Just think of it as a Witcher rite of passage and trudge on. After that everything gets better.

I just beat the first about a week ago and was confused by the swamp warnings I'd heard when I began that section. The start to it was so promising but it definitely dragged on for way too long.I feel like it was worth powering through though and look forward to starting the second after a quick Dishonored/Kerbal interlude.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    signature.png
    Veevee

I wish more people had this attitude. Really the best game of 2011.

And 2012. Prepare to Die edition came out then so it counts.

• Options

I say you give the first Witcher game a shot. Play the introduction and see if you can get into the first real area if you have the time and inclination to take a chance. The game has its issues for sure, but I found the world, plot progression and story one of the most compelling I've experienced in an RPG. By the end of the game I had also grown fond of many of the games clunky and obtuse mechanics as well.

I haven't had the bug to tear through Witcher 2 yet so I can't say for certain just how much importing a save affects things within the game, but there's a good chunk of gear and stuff that can carry over to the second game that can make the famously hard beginning a bit softer.

• Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »

Not having played DMC, I'd say Arkham City would be the shortest if you don't care about collectibles and optional story objectives.

I'd also vote Arkham City or DMC, since I hear Absolution isn't the best Hitman with a lot of fake choices to disguise a linear game.

• Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Papers Turkeys Papers Turkeys, Please!

Thanks, @iolo, for the Adventure Team invite! To celebrate, I'm going to start things off with a giveaway.

Turkey Day is soon upon us, and it's one of the favorite holidays for this curmudgeonly old cuss, as it's centered around the eating of delicious food. So, what way to honor that holiday by gifting a copy of a game where you struggle against a bleak, uncaring bureaucracy and your own sense of morality in order to provide food for yourself and your family?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5X6fcukM

There's a catch, though; since I'm new to this, I don't feel ready to use Steamgifts yet. Instead, I want turkeys.

Now, I'm cooking a rather large bird for our guests, so I'll have plenty of turkey to last us for a week or two afterwards. The turkey I'd like from any contest entrants, however, is a hand turkey of the type commonly found in grade schools.

spoilered for hueg:
    hand-turkey.jpg

You can create your own, have someone else create one for you, find one already made that you really like on the Interwebs somewhere, all I ask is that you attribute your source properly when you send it to me via PM.

I'm far too fickle and capricious to establish hard and fast criteria for the winning vote; it may be the one which amuses me most, gets me in the feels, or I might just roll some dice to choose. In any event, that the submission deadline is Thursday, 11/28 11:59PM EST. I'll pick a winner some time on Friday after recovering from Thursday's festivities.

Glory to Arstotzka! Turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce to me!

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Oh damn. That Music Creator Touch is on sale again. I've been eyeing that up ever since I got my Surface.

Herm. Not yet. Must wait for the Winter Vale...

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Back from my sojourn in California, and these have a few more hours left on them.

signature.png

signature.png

• Options
    That went pretty well, so let's try this one quick before the sale starts.

signature.png

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    signature.png
    @Veevee

Here also is your complimentary dsfix <<<<<

That there, true class.

Movitz on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

I agree if you haven't actually played the game. But Steam only started recording how often you've played the game in the past few years. I played some of these games plenty but not since they started recording play time.

Steam has been tracking game time for five years. If you haven't played a game in that time, I think it's fair that you have to revisit it for a bit before writing a review of it.

Nintendo requires you to have played a game for an hour before you can submit a five star rating of it.

• Options
    That went pretty well, so let's try this one quick before the sale starts.

signature.png

Actually, fuck it. Fuck it!

Greatest hits clearance sale, everything must go!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

This discussion has been closed.