As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii: Katamari, when?

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We Heart Katamari was totally necessary because it actually came to Europe shutup.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everyone on these boards makes Europe sound like the worst place for a gamer to live. I'm never going there.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been kind of meh on the prospect of Katamari games since the creator left.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everyone on these boards makes Europe sound like the worst place for a gamer to live. I'm never going there.

They get like one or two games a generation that we don't get here. The best one they got that the States never saw was Terrengima. I'm spelling it wrong, but it's too late for that!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    We <3 Katamari was not unnecessary.

Yes it was. The charm was already lost by that time.

it was necessary because they actually let us in Europe play it.

edit: and us Europeans are clearly slow, which is why we don't get games for faster-thinking folk.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As an elitist fuck, I must state that every innovative game is good and any sequel afterwards sucks shit.

Seriously, all of you, shut the fuck up! Katamari Damacy was great, and so, I want more of it. I want these sequels because KD charmed me and now I want new levels, new songs, new stuff to roll up, etc. I just want MORE of it and I'm happy they're giving me more. Don't like it? Don't play it, but don't go on a "It should be FORBIDDEN to make sequels since I'M not playing them" crusade.

Also, for the thread derail: I think everything about FF8 sucked.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We <3 Katamari was totally unnecessary and the exact opposite of what the first was trying to accomplish.

How is this so? Please explain

(I never got to play the first Katamari, as a Europer)

Tig on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Also, for the thread derail: I think everything about FF8 sucked.

It was good storyline... up until the third disc, then it went to shit.

On topic though... so... much... hatred... for Katamari... in this thread. Granted, the sequels were just more of the same, but still, were any of them just not that enjoyable to you people?

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i hoped the sequels would take it into more of a RPG/RTS hybrid myself, commanding an army of princes as they level up and gain abilities, in their quest to roll up everything in the world. I was so let down when the sequel to a game turned out to have all the same gameplay mechanics of it's predecessor.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tig wrote: »
    We <3 Katamari was totally unnecessary and the exact opposite of what the first was trying to accomplish.

(I never got to play the first Katamari, as a Europer)

The katamaris started off really big, and you had to actually unroll them smaller.

But no, sereiously - I'm a PAL gamer who imported Katamari Damacy and We <3 Katamari (woops, need a modchip for a locally available game...) and I thought the sequel added enough to justify its existence. I enjoyed the snowball and firefly levels. The one where your katamari is on fire, not so much.

EDIT: oh awesome, my shitty joke is top of the page :(

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We <3 Katamari was pretty fucking awesome, and much more fun than the first.

You can argue that the ones after it didn't add much (I've never played them) but the second was a dramatic improvement.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Really the important thing here is that Katamari used dual controls in an innovative way, and sure simply more ala We Luv Katamari levels is nice, but the Wii's entire point is the wiimote controls. I can't think they would work at all unless you just shoehorned excite truck-esq controls onto it. If just using dual analog with the VC controller is the best option, they may as well make it with prettier visuals on the 360...which seems to be what they are doing anyways.

Darlan on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    Really the important thing here is that Katamari used dual controls in an innovative way, and sure simply more ala We Luv Katamari levels is nice, but the Wii's entire point is the wiimote controls. I can't think they would work at all unless you just shoehorned excite truck-esq controls onto it. If just using dual analog with the VC controller is the best option, they may as well make it with prettier visuals on the 360...which seems to be what they are doing anyways.

They could also base it on tilting the remote and nunchuk, but that might be a bit awkward and wouldn't necessary add anything to make up for the awkwardness.

jothki on
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We Love Katamari was an extended, pitch-perfect riff on the very concept of sequels.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Really the important thing here is that Katamari used dual controls in an innovative way.
    Tank controls are innovative?

When I first heard about Katamari I thought it was a neat idea, but then i tried it and it simply wasn't fun.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We Love Katamari was an extended, pitch-perfect riff on the very concept of sequels.

I thought that the cowbear level was a particularly nice touch.

jothki on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Djiem wrote:
    Seriously, all of you, shut the fuck up! Katamari Damacy was great, and so, I want more of it. I want these sequels because KD charmed me and now I want new levels, new songs, new stuff to roll up, etc. I just want MORE of it and I'm happy they're giving me more. Don't like it? Don't play it, but don't go on a "It should be FORBIDDEN to make sequels since I'M not playing them" crusade.

jothki wrote: »

They could also base it on tilting the remote and nunchuk, but that might be a bit awkward and wouldn't necessary add anything to make up for the awkwardness.

The nunchuck doesn't measure tilt IIRC.

Tig wrote:
    We Katamari was totally unnecessary and the exact opposite of what the first was trying to accomplish.

Katamari was supposed to be something new that broke the mold of games having sequels. Then they made a much better sequel to the game called We <3 Katamari and everyone enjoyed it more than the first so they are making a 4th version.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JoahW wrote: »
    Really the important thing here is that Katamari used dual controls in an innovative way.
    Tank controls are innovative?

When I first heard about Katamari I thought it was a neat idea, but then i tried it and it simply wasn't fun.
    Perhaps it's just my personal experience, but when I first played Katamari, I had never played a dual analog stick game that controlled like that before. Also, "tank control" may be a bit misleading to those who have never played it, that moniker typically refers to RE-style controls in videogames.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We <3 Katamari was necessary for the awesome manual alone. Also the whole story deal of people enjoying the first one so much that they wanted to roll up more stuff. Plus the first one was 20$, and the second was 30$, so I like to think of them as adding up to one whole game.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Katamari was supposed to be something new that broke the mold of games having sequels. Then they made a much better sequel to the game called We <3 Katamari and everyone enjoyed it more than the first so they are making a 4th version.

Lol?

Some people just don't want to see every original videogame concept milked. In this industry, most original concepts do get milked. At least We Love Katamari had the nerve to be very, very funny about it. But Me and My Katamari and Beautiful Katamari (at least the demo, yeh) have no such goofy honesty, and lack the charm and energy that ignited the original. As such, they are criticized by some people.

Seems reasonable, no?

• Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Then how....how does the shield rip off thingy work in Metroid Prime 3? D:

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nunchuck DOES measure tilt. It would be a good control device for K D. Unfortunately, I personally think the series has lost a ton of its charm.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    As an elitist fuck, I must state that every innovative game is good and any sequel afterwards sucks shit.

Hey HEY. There's only room for one of us here.

*squint*

Sheep on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wienke wrote: »

Then how....how does the shield rip off thingy work in Metroid Prime 3? D:

I thought all it measured was acceleration, but someone else said I was wrong.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

Hey HEY. There's only room for one of us here.

*squint*

oh the IRONY

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CriptCript Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game would be awesome on the 360.

Cript on
    Dirty+RNA.png
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Lol?

Some people just don't want to see every original videogame concept milked. In this industry, most original concepts do get milked. At least We Love Katamari had the nerve to be very, very funny about it. But Me and My Katamari and Beautiful Katamari (at least the demo, yeh) have no such goofy honesty, and lack the charm and energy that ignited the original. As such, they are criticized by some people.

Seems reasonable, no?

That's stupid and untrue, because those same people can't wait for the next Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Super Smash Brothers, and so on. Everyone Loves Katamari added alot to Katamari, and was very good. Beautiful Katamari was a 3 minutes demo of a single, and I honestly can't see why you would say that, cause it's just more Katamari. The only thing I can think of to why people would say they were bad are people that feel that Katamari was some sort of hidden gem that they picked up on day one, so they feel that they can smoke their corn pipes and say that the sequels were horrible. Which is stupid, because they were Katamari + more.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We Heart Katamari was totally necessary because it actually came to Europe shutup.

They get like one or two games a generation that we don't get here. The best one they got that the States never saw was Terrengima. I'm spelling it wrong, but it's too late for that!

We also got Global Defence Force, which is great.
    And, um, that's about it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Katamari was supposed to be something new that broke the mold of games having sequels.
    Was that what it was intended to do or was that what everyone decided it was intended to do?

I know the creator didn't want to make another one, but that doesn't imply that that was why he didn't.

Elendil on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

We also got Global Defence Force, which is great.
    And, um, that's about it.

Lern 2 Doshin and Vib Ribbon

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Neva wrote: »

Lol?

Seems reasonable, no?

That's stupid and untrue, because those same people can't wait for the next Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Super Smash Brothers, and so on. Everyone Loves Katamari added alot to Katamari, and was very good. Beautiful Katamari was a 3 minutes demo of a single, and I honestly can't see why you would say that, cause it's just more Katamari. The only thing I can think of to why people would say they were bad are people that feel that Katamari was some sort of hidden gem that they picked up on day one, so they feel that they can smoke their corn pipes and say that the sequels were horrible. Which is stupid, because they were Katamari + more.

MORE KATAMARI MORE MORE MORE isn't always desirable, you know! After the surprising success of his original concept, Katamari Damacy, Keita Takahashi was forced by Namco to pump out sequels, as opposed to, you know, developing another original concept. That's an unimaginative, obsessive-compulsive industry at work -- and Takahashi was reluctant to develop. In the end however he obeyed his employers: We Love Katamari was half an earnest follow-up, half a satire of sequels in general. It was redeemable. Its successors are not.

Taking into account the going-down-in-flames ending of Katamari Damacy, it's kind of depressing that Namco turned the whole thing into yet another franchise. The good news is that Takahashi is now developing an entirely new game for the PS3 -- an original concept, not more of the same. The bad news is that, in his absence, the Katamari series looks to be disintegrating further. Beautiful Katamari's demo felt dumbed down: just listen to the King's new dialogue, or look at the clunky aesthetics if you want to see uninspired horse-flogging in motion. Or, hell, even play Me and My Katamari -- that's a hopeless bit of pandering, right there. Ah well.

Ah well, I have high hopes for Takahashi's new game, and I hope it doesn't get similarly milked.

• Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cript wrote: »

Sarcasm, right?

The game would totally bomb in the 360.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    Cript wrote: »

Sarcasm, right?

The game would totally bomb in the 360.

Sarcasm, right?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Unless it's on XBLA, no.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unless it's on XBLA, no.

Beautiful_katamari_cover.jpg

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, that was fucking awesome.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    From what I'm hearing the 360 Katamari is fucking atrocious at the moment, like, your in pain while playing it.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing the 360 Katamari is fucking atrocious at the moment.

If you like the Katamari games and want more, then you will like it. People are calling it atrocious because it's showing us nothing new at this point and is $40.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Unless it's on XBLA, no.

Beautiful_katamari_cover.jpg

It's boned.

Arde on