As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Old, the Good, and the Cheap: 360

13»

• ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is Sneak King worth $2?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Children wrote: »
    Is Sneak King worth $2?
    Only if you're some sort of collector whose idea of a complete game collection is having every game ever made, no matter how completely devoid of fun it is.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CaspianX wrote: »
    Children wrote: »
    Is Sneak King worth $2?
    Only if you're some sort of collector whose idea of a complete game collection is having every game ever made, no matter how completely devoid of fun it is.
    sign me up!

LewieP on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's $2 for 200 Achievement Points, if you wanna look at it that way.

And the King does a little dance when you deliver delicious BK meals.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sneak king was fun for a while. Like an hour or two. What you can do, if you shop at EBStop, is just buy used games from them. You can bring them back within a week, as long as you have your receipt, and get your money back in store credit towards another game. Never hurts to try games out that way. You're stuck with only used games, but there will usually be at least one copy of most games used, and hopefully in good enough condition to play through. Happy hunting!

My recommendations:
    Crackdown (I liked it. YMMV)
    SotN
    Aegis Wing (free. the best price)
    Catan

Also, you should really just download a shitton of demos, and see what works for you, and what floats your boat. Nobody has the exact same taste, so it never hurts to check shit out before dropping some cash.

Erin The Red on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sneak king was fun for a while. Like an hour or two. What you can do, if you shop at EBStop, is just buy used games from them. You can bring them back within a week, as long as you have your receipt, and get your money back in store credit towards another game. Never hurts to try games out that way. You're stuck with only used games, but there will usually be at least one copy of most games used, and hopefully in good enough condition to play through. Happy hunting!

My recommendations:
    SotN
    Catan

Also, you should really just download a shitton of demos, and see what works for you, and what floats your boat. Nobody has the exact same taste, so it never hurts to check shit out before dropping some cash.

You dont have to have a reason for returning or anything?
    I mean, that could easily be abused, like renting for free.

variant on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    variant wrote: »

There is a "Seven Day Trial" period where you can return the game for just about any reason, or lack there of, within 7 days in order to pick out something new. The idea is encouraged so that you manage to get a game you actually like, however, when it becomes obvious people are abusing the system they have every right to tell you to stop doing it. :P

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you have a local Toys r Us:

Chrome Hounds- $17
    Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition -$10

I'll let others review them, as I never played much of either, and the general opinion on them is either love or hate.

Sanders on
    edited September 2007
    Sears stores around my area are selling King Kong for $9 and Gun for $13, not sure if this is everywhere though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you live near the east or west coast then GameFly is great to have. Especially if you want to play lots of singleplayer games without blowing your wallet to hell.

BlueDestiny on
  • chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    www.cheapassgamer.com

The best place to check for all gaming deals.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Viva Pinata new was cheaper than used at my local Gamestop.
    I mean, if you like Animal Crossing you'd probably enjoy this game. To be honest, it's just a nice change from the other 360 titles I own and want to own. I wanted a relaxing game that didn't involve killing things and that could amuse my chick by making Pinatas dance and romance.
    Until Katamari comes out, this looks like the most upbeat and interesting title on the system.

edit: I also just noticed the name of the dude that posted above me and I got a little excited.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Overlord should be moderately well priced at this point.

Also, I recommend crackdown, viva pinata, and the skate demo.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Just bought Viva Pinata at Wal-Mart for $20. I hope it's awesome, but if not, it was only $20 so no big deal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DaxterKingDaxterKing Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes King Kong is very fun, atleast it was when I played it on Xbox. Haven't tried the 360 version yet, seems like a good rent seeing how short it is.

DaxterKing on
    edited September 2007
    DaxterKing wrote: »
    Yes King Kong is very fun, atleast it was when I played it on Xbox. Haven't tried the 360 version yet, seems like a good rent seeing how short it is.

King Kong was actually my first rented 360 game, and I absolutely loved it at the time. Don't know how it would fare in my post-Bioshock days though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If they make a Dead Rising 2 (they must!) and it includes more zombie killing and less fetch quests/time trials then you must get it. Also, it must have online co-op and deathmatch play cause come on.

Magus` on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    If they make a Dead Rising 2 (they must!) and it includes more zombie killing and less fetch quests/time trials then you must get it. Also, it must have online co-op and deathmatch play cause come on.

The game is full of flaws, but personally I'd be perfectly happy if they used the exact same system, but spruced it up a little (better AI, co-op/multiplayer, tighter controls, etc). It's a weird game because it gets a lot more fun when you stick it out, read the guides, goof around a lot, level up Frank, grab achivements, etc before you tackle the main quests. Saving 50 survivors whilst following a guide was one of the most fun gaming experiences I'v had on my 360 so far, it's just so badass to see frank at level 50 and wearing wresting gear, smashing zombie faces in while clearing a path for 8 handgun weilding survivors, all to heavy metal rock music. Fucking awesome. Killing zombies can get boring if that's all you focus on in the game, but when you focus on your higher objectves, such as getting from point A to point B while zombes become merley a nuisance the game becomes very intense and fun. I'll never get bored of charging through groups of zombies, diving through them and smashing them in the face with a baseball bat while I only have 2 minutes left on the clock to run from one end of the mall to the other to stop a survivor from being killed.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

The game is full of flaws, but personally I'd be perfectly happy if they used the exact same system, but spruced it up a little (better AI, co-op/multiplayer, tighter controls, etc). It's a weird game because it gets a lot more fun when you stick it out, read the guides, goof around a lot, level up Frank, grab achivements, etc before you tackle the main quests. Saving 50 survivors whilst following a guide was one of the most fun gaming experiences I'v had on my 360 so far, it's just so badass to see frank at level 50 and wearing wresting gear, smashing zombie faces in while clearing a path for 8 handgun weilding survivors, all to heavy metal rock music. Fucking awesome. Killing zombies can get boring if that's all you focus on in the game, but when you focus on your higher objectves, such as getting from point A to point B while zombes become merley a nuisance the game becomes very intense and fun. I'll never get bored of charging through groups of zombies, diving through them and smashing them in the face with a baseball bat while I only have 2 minutes left on the clock to run from one end of the mall to the other to stop a survivor from being killed.

DR2 should have better survivor AI. They just frustrated the hell out of me.
    My favorite feature is the "save and restart." I think I am on my third play-through of the game now and am determined to save as many people as possible and do the Cases. It is absolutely fun but I would like to see branching story-scoop options. Instead of parallel. So, instead of simply choosing to complete or not complete missions, I can choose different types of them.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sanders wrote: »

Chrome Hounds- $17

I'll let others review them, as I never played much of either, and the general opinion on them is either love or hate.

Let me add to this list:

Lost Planet Collector's Edition - $9.90
    Prey Collector's Edition - $9.90

I've also heard if you can get a copy of Oblivion in a store, it's on clearance for $10. Lost Planet is a must for $9.90. Unfortunately, the assholes buy out all the copies so you don't get a chance to play (I had a guy do just this yesterday), so not all stores will still have these games.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I found chromehounds to be incredibly dull and boring.

But that's just me.

Gorilla Salad on
  • notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oblivion is not worth it for the 360 because of the worthless level scaling system. And you can't even get a mod to get around it.

notagame on
    edited September 2007
    Why would they buy out Lost Planet?

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • gift100001gift100001 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited September 2007
    yes, i like King Kong.

gift100001 on
    edited September 2007
    I can't find lost planet anywhere for $10, its still $40 everywhere I go.

variant on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Need for Speed: Carbon can be found brand new for $59.99, or used for less.
    Most Wanted 2 is also fairly cheap.

The only games I have on my 360 are Carbon, Forza 2 and Oblivion. I'd recommend Forza 2, but its expensive.

Dhalphir on
    edited September 2007
    Forza is the only game I have at the moment, love it, already level 16.

Worth every penny.

variant on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    variant wrote: »

My recommendations:
    SotN
    Catan

Well, when I worked there, we never said anything to most of the (ab)users of this policy. There was a family from nigeria who would come in 3-4 times a week and swap stuff out. And some frat guys would come in, and we wouldn't let them do it much because they were enormous cockbags. It's all about how you treat the employees. Also depends on the manager. Ours would bend over backwards for decent people who didnt dick out on people.

TL,DR: Be a cool duder, and you will probably be able to use the bring-shit-back within a week policy as much as you want. Achievement points, ahoy!

Erin The Red on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually, this might not be exactly the thread to ask it but: are there any nice, cheap, multiplayer experiences? Something like Smash Bros, Double Dash, Halo (3 obviously, but you know)?

Also, do most games with split-screen and Live allow you to play on Live with other people split-screened? Or do they need their own Live account?

I'm interested in grabbing something other than Aegis Wing, Bomberman, and Gears for the roomies, but I don't want to break the bank if a game's fun depends on 3 other people being around.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually, this might not be exactly the thread to ask it but: are there any nice, cheap, multiplayer experiences? Something like Smash Bros, Double Dash, Halo (3 obviously, but you know)?

Also, do most games with split-screen and Live allow you to play on Live with other people split-screened? Or do they need their own Live account?

I'm interested in grabbing something other than Aegis Wing, Bomberman, and Gears for the roomies, but I don't want to break the bank if a game's fun depends on 3 other people being around.

They allow you to play on live, but the other people are "YOURTAG01" online. Not their own tags. And can't use voice.

That's about it.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited September 2007
    Sanders wrote: »

Chrome Hounds- $17

Let me add to this list:

Lost Planet Collector's Edition - $9.90
    Prey Collector's Edition - $9.90

I've also heard if you can get a copy of Oblivion in a store, it's on clearance for $10. Lost Planet is a must for $9.90. Unfortunately, the assholes buy out all the copies so you don't get a chance to play (I had a guy do just this yesterday), so not all stores will still have these games.

I asked before but I didn't quote. Who is buying up Lost Planet and why?

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I would assume it's because these games normal retail price is 20-30 bucks and if they can get them for 10 then they will just turn around and ebay/amazon them off closer to the normal price for profit.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's exactly why.

I had a guy come in on Friday and buy up every single clearance game $10 and below and turn around to sell them to flea markets/eBay/whatever. He's the same guy who came in last year and bought all of our Gameboy Micros on clearance.

If you don't have a Micro and wanted one, you can blame people like him.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's exactly why.

I had a guy come in on Friday and buy up every single clearance game $10 and below and turn around to sell them to flea markets/eBay/whatever. He's the same guy who came in last year and bought all of our Gameboy Micros on clearance.

Most good (non-game) stores have policies against this kind of thing when clearance is going on, which seems like good practice. Cock bags like that guy don't deserve to make money over other people's backs like that, imho. I'd sure as shit like me some Lost Planet for 10, hell even 20 bucks, because I just bought a 360 a few weeks back as well.

Noray on
  • VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As someone remarked, The Outfit is great splitscreen fun in co-op. and quite decent on Live too.

I am somewhat amazed that no-one has even mentioned Table Tennis, though. It is a sports game as intense as any fighting game, and an insanely fun multiplayer game. Plus, it's cheep. And a preview of the GTA IV graphics engine.

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
    edited September 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I would assume it's because these games normal retail price is 20-30 bucks and if they can get them for 10 then they will just turn around and ebay/amazon them off closer to the normal price for profit.

Oh.
    The way it was originally phrased made it seem like the more people who own and play this game the less valuable it becomes to those who already own it.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Man, finally playing Viva Pinata, and this seems like it would be a cruel game for children. The leaf bitch told me I needed to meet the requirements for two sparrows to mate; so in the process, I have to guide one of them to eat one of my whirlms, making a new baby whirlm an orphan in the process.

That's some cold shit.

They fuck indiscriminately, too. I was naming the Pinatas I was mating after couples from video games, movies, television and literature, so as not to get them confused, only to find out that Juliet has no problem spreading her legs for Squall, YT (Yours Truly) or Elliot Reid.

UnbreakableVow on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's exactly why.

I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but buying a Micro for $35 new at TRU was pretty much the best thing I've ever done.

bruin on