As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I got Advance Wars the other day

WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
And I can't figure out a way to wipe the previous owner out of it's freaking memory. I don't want to be Wicced, I want to be me :C Anyone who knows how to help or how to best tell me how boned I am, please do speak up.

EDIT: FIXED.

ITT we discuss Advance Wars in general. What do I have to look forward to? Should I go ahead and hunt out the other two versions of AW? What makes them better?

858213-butcher-2.jpg
Woodroez on

• Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    And I can't figure out a way to wipe the previous owner out of it's freaking memory. I don't want to be Wicced, I want to be me :C Anyone who knows how to help or how to best tell me how boned I am, please do speak up.

Also, ITT we discuss Advance Wars in general. Once I get over that name, what do I have to look forward to?

My memory is fuzzy, but check the options.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    \Also, ITT we discuss Advance Wars in general. Once I get over that name, what do I have to look forward to?

Probably one of the finest strategy games ever, with twice the presentation of Fire Emblem. (but half the plot)

Don't tell Fire Emblem fanboys I said that.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can delete it, it's in the manual somewhere.

It's something like a combination of holding the shoulder buttons and some other buttons and maybe a direction on the d-pad when you start it up or something. Check the manual thoroughly or try gamefaqs.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Some games give you the option to delete if you hold certain buttons during start up. I think the GBA F-Zero game does if you hold the two shoulder buttons. Maybe try something like that?

Pooch on
  • AyriosAyrios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hold L, Select, and Right on the D-Pad as soon as you turn the game on to delete data.

Ayrios on
    Ayrios%20Cusavini.png
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Advance Wars Hint: Clear Data
    To erase all saved game data the easy way, turn on your Game Boy Advance and press and hold right, L and Select at the same time. Be careful that you don't accidentally delete your data, though.

I mean seriously... That google search took me 10 seconds.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm sure you can Google it, that's what I did when I bought my used copy of the game a long time ago (hence I forgot so I can't tell you how I did it).

edit: beat'd

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i got it used...no case, no manual.

EDIT: but you guys are more fun than Google. Anyway, another crisis averted. Discuss Advance Wars, in all it's releases.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »

Don't be rude.

His Kung-Fu is not strong enough. He still needs time. :P

On topic, I thought Advance Wars was a fantastic game worth playing time and again. Too bad I lost my copy, might want to go pick a new one up.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2007
    Oh, if you don't have a DS, get one, and buy AW:DS. If you have a DS, and dont have AW:DS, buy it. If you have both, congratulations, you have a great game to kill time with now.

edit: those happy faces come up every time I talk about the game, but i think theyre appropriate, so theyll stay

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »

Don't be rude.

On topic, I thought Advance Wars was a fantastic game worth playing time and again. Too bad I lost my copy, might want to go pick a new one up.

Meh.

On topic once again. I could never beat the last mission and I kno I never will. : (

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have Advance Wars DS. The game is fun as hell, but I suck at strategy games so it's difficult for me. I'll likely get my ass pounded if I played anyone here.

Henroid on
  • Ecstasy A.K.A. DarksEcstasy A.K.A. Darks Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How does AW:DS compare to AW on the GBA?

Ecstasy A.K.A. Darks on
    eadsigax2.jpg
    edited September 2007

The original?

Better graphics of course, way better music, Tag powers adds an interesting aspect of play (think Advance Wars + the concept of MarioKartDoubleDash. You command two COs, can switch them out at the end of your turn, build both their CO power bars and use them at the same time, giving you basically 2 turns at once and fucking incredible music, whichever CO is active at the end of the turn grants his/her bonuses to the units until you switch out COs). Waaaaay more COs, but many of the COs have unoriginal or only slightly helpful aspects. MUCH more replay value (AW already had a lot) due to the retarded amount of War Room maps and the hard mode of the campaign. Oh yeah, since you might not be considering AW2, all COs have a Power and a Super Power.

Its a better game. Its truly underappreciated in my opinion, and everytime a AWDS thread comes up I will say so, but it is one of the best handheld games released period, one of the best DS games. (To put it in perspective, the year it came out it got 10th place on a poll based on PA forumers for game of the year. RE4 got first.)

Again, the music is incredibly awesome. The only downside of the music is that the music from the original game wasn't really updated, so you have something like Andy's Anthem that is GBA-Audio level right up next to say, this.

LISTEN TO THE TAG THEME NOW OH GOD

Also, its more difficult. In terms of challenge, from easiest to ohmyfuckinggod, it goes AW -> AWDS -> AW2.

BASICALLY, buy the damned game. :)

If the music from the originals had been updated and if it had WiFi-online playability, it would have been seriously perfect.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I keep on meaning to buy this game for the DS. How come ds games never go down in price? I swears.

knigge on
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »

Don't be rude.

Meh.

On topic once again. I could never beat the last mission and I kno I never will. : (

In the original? Yeah, that was pretty rapetastic. But it's SO satisfying when you finally beat it. Fucking Sturm. He's such a cheating asshole.

Dirtchamber on
    edited September 2007
    knigge wrote: »
    I keep on meaning to buy this game for the DS. How come ds games never go down in price? I swears.

Try buying it used. I lost my copy and managed to get another one off a forumer for $20.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is this game in used condition worth $30 AUSD. It practically is in new condition because my friend takes care of his games.

Hocky27 on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The first game is sort of like chess. The rest is sort of like modern stupid versions of chess. Don't fuck with chess.

RichardTauber on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can't find a fracking copy of this game to save my life. I suppose I'll have to break down and buy online, but I really prefer to avoid that.

Specifically, the DS version.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I bought Advance Wars DS only to find out it's not for me. I really wanted to like it, and I kind of did, but I sucked at it and it just didn't keep me hooked the way it did all of you.

On the flipside, I do like Fire Emblem, but that game is so stupidly easy (horseguys >all) and repetetive I didn't finish it.

Noray on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As much as I love Advanced Wars, I really suck at it. Every one of those games, I end up giving up on some crazy hard mission.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Ok, this thread inspired me to play up Dual Strike again.

"It's like you scratch that one phat beat that you'll never find again. I like it!"

*shudder*

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Advance Wars got me to buy a GBA.

Advance Wars DS got me to buy a DS.

Never looked back.

Also - Grit is so awesome. And broken. But mostly awesome.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited September 2007
    Hocky27 wrote: »
    Is this game in used condition worth $30 AUSD. It practically is in new condition because my friend takes care of his games.
    Hells yes. Buy it.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hocky27 wrote: »

Yes, a thousand times yes.

I got stuck at Twin Pincers for a while on my first playthrough of AW:DS.

I think my problem stemmed from liking Sasha's theme too much, causing me to play her whenever the option was available.

Kelor on
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Faustum wrote: »

The original?

Better graphics of course,

I actually hate the 3dish effect they did in Advance Wars DS. I think the GBA games looked better. But regardless, all of the games are still ridiciously good.

Now, did it ever get resolved as to whether that sequel that Nintendo of Europe said was coming out this fall is actually getting released? Or was it just yet another screw up on their part?

ikillkenny on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved the earlier AW games and AW: DS was pretty much the main reason I got a DS, and the only game I have ever bothered to play more than an hour on the console.

I fucking hate the tutorials on the DS version - i mean hell, give me an easy way of turning them off ffs, not everyone is a complete fucking nubbins who buys this game, its what, #3 or so in the series, it can be assumed some of us have actually played it and don't need to be walked through everything. (and I guess i've just opened myself to comments about "a simple google search would've told you how to avoid this")

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • haetmongerhaetmonger Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    If the music from the originals had been updated and if it had WiFi-online playability, it would have been seriously perfect.

This man speaks the truth. This is my favorite DS game, and I have this on-again off-again relationship with it which I never get with other games. Of course, at least half of the time I find myself playing it because the tag power theme gets stuck in my head so often. It somehow manages to make the ensuing massacre of every tag power seem that much more satisfying.

Although, the lack of wifi is unfortunate; I constantly find myself fantasizing about what could have been.

haetmonger on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game kicks my ass every time I play it. It's fun as hell, but I'm terrible at it. I can usually hold it down for about ten rounds, but then all of a sudden there's a sub or a fucking bomber and it's all over for me.

Kreutz on
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And so once again, I feel compelled to say: somebody needs to put a fucking Advance Wars CO in Smash Bros. Brawl. Preferably Sammy.

That is all.

Dirtchamber on
  • paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've always wanted this game, right now i can get it online for about $40USD(México, lol), but i dont mind the increased price since people say its a pretty big game wih lots of replay value.

Anyway, how does the gameplay compare with Fire Emblem?, because i adore Path of Radiance, and i dont mind a bit more difficulty.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Advance Wars DS 2 better have online play. Do we have any detail on that game beyond that exists and is scheduled for 2008?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kreutz wrote: »
    This game kicks my ass every time I play it. It's fun as hell, but I'm terrible at it. I can usually hold it down for about ten rounds, but then all of a sudden there's a sub or a fucking bomber and it's all over for me.

Just build a few AA or a few of those ships that rape subs. The counters are pretty hard in this game. About the only single thing that's hard to kill is a piperunner, depending on the map.

jothki on
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Advance Wars DS 2 better have online play. Do we have any detail on that game beyond that exists and is scheduled for 2008?

A quick check over at Wikipedia reveals that we have not. I'm still not even entirely convinced that it exists.

ikillkenny on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ikillkenny wrote: »

A quick check over at Wikipedia reveals that we have not. I'm still not even entirely convinced that it exists.

I'm convinced it exists, and also convinced that it is not coming out anytime soon.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm convinced it exists, and also convinced that it is not coming out anytime soon.

My question is: why are they making a AWDS2 at all if the first one sold poorly enough to be discontinued?

Not that I wouldn't like AWDS2, but I'm wondering.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

My question is: why are they making a AWDS2 at all if the first one sold poorly enough to be discontinued?

Not that I wouldn't like AWDS2, but I'm wondering.

Nintendo discontinues all but the very highest selling games after awhile. I mean until it became player's choice Mario Kart:Super Circuit was damn tricky to find new or used.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still think the original AW is the best handheld game I've ever played. The hotseat multiplayer beats out any other multiplayer sessions I've ever had on a handheld, with or without multiple consoles present.

The only flaw I could identify in AW was the COs; some of their powers were horribly unbalanced I thought. Eagle in particular was just ridiculous. It didn't break the game, but it did tarnish it slightly in multiplayer.
    When I heard the sequels were putting even more emphasis on crazy CO powers (super powers, dual strikes) I decided to avoid those games and stick with the original, for fear of Eagle/Grit-induced frustration causing me to damage my DS D::P

Tig on
    edited September 2007
    Tig wrote: »
    I still think the original AW is the best handheld game I've ever played. The hotseat multiplayer beats out any other multiplayer sessions I've ever had on a handheld, with or without multiple consoles present.

The only flaw I could identify in AW was the COs; some of their powers were horribly unbalanced I thought. Eagle in particular was just ridiculous. It didn't break the game, but it did tarnish it slightly in multiplayer.
    When I heard the sequels were putting even more emphasis on crazy CO powers (super powers, dual strikes) I decided to avoid those games and stick with the original, for fear of Eagle/Grit-induced frustration causing me to damage my DS D::P

almost every CO has seen balance issues from game to game, especially Eagle and Kanbei. And I absolutely hate using Eagle, his CO power bar takes far too long to charge. Oh, and for Eagles CO power to be any use at all in a Tag-power, he has to go first, or the benefit doesnt come into play because you cant move him twice if he is the second CO in a tag.

(they are far more insane combos than grit and eagle, especially due to the fact that some COs have synergy which grants anywhere from 5% to 30% increases I believe in their units strength/defense. and there are some COs that dont get along, even weakening your units when you use a tag with each other.)

As another note, with Tags, you can be a little creative. Think of Andy +Hawke, or Hawke + Drake, etc. Colin/Sasha is probably the most imbalanced combination of COs.

Fuck Colin and Sasha.

Fuck them.

(AW:DS is the best of the Advance Wars by far)

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif