As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hardest High-End Bosses Ever (or How I Learned to Start Cursing and Hate the Raid)

13»

• BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pre-Luclin bosses in EQ1

Bards got macros now

Bikkstah on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    Pre-Luclin bosses in EQ1

Bards got macros now

Good for them. I didn't keep playing that far.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My favorite, that gave me the most trouble in Asheron's Call, had to be Gaerlan.

Gaerlan.jpg

During the time of the Empyreans, he was Asheron's rival. Upon his return to Dereth, his attempt to rule led to elementals covering the land, driving the regular creatures into hiding and making any trip out of town dangerous for low to mid level players.

The quest to defeat him within his own Citadel was one of the most epic in AC, as far as I'm concerned.

From Maggie the Jackcat's quest guide site:
    Martine and Gaerlan engaged in a fierce battle atop Gaerlan's Citadel. Details of what happened are unclear, but it seems that just as Martine was about to fall, he unleashed a powerful spell that brought the citadel crashing down from the sky. The fallen citadel lies in a crater in the mountains of Northern Osteth. The fate of Martine remains unknown; only his robe and mask were found.

The menace Gaerlan, however, was still intent on his destructive path. Golems and elementals attacked the towns. As brave defenders struck back, four portals opened in Eastham.

In Eastham, four portals open. Created by Asheron, these portals lead to caverns inhabited by golems created to defend the accessways to Gaerlan's grounded citadel. Warriors must divide themselves and defeat these guardians to gain entrance to the portals in the valley of the fallen citadel.

Inside the caverns, you'll need to kill the Guardian Golems. When they are defeated, a portal to the Citadel opens and Asheron spawns. When all of the guardians are dead, the portals will disappear.

Asheron tells you, "This world has suffered too many losses, and I have bore witness to too many of them. No longer. Gaerlan must be stopped."
    Asheron tells you, "Our futures have been altered by Gaerlan. The time has come to right what he has made wrong. Martine's sacrifice shall not have been made in vain. We will avenge him and see that his gift to us is not wasted."
    Asheron tells you, "Misfortune begs me tell you that Gaerlan is using some magic to bar me from his citadel. Though I have regained much of my strength from my injuries I am using much to keep his citadel here upon the ground."
    Asheron tells you, "I have, however, located four Platinum Golems within the citadel. They are slumbering at the moment and need to be awakened. But once they are awake I can communicate with them and learn what they know of this citadel. Then perhaps I can assist you in traversing the several areas in an effort to meet and defeat Gaerlan."
    Asheron tells you, "Your efforts over the past cycle of the moons has proven invaluable and he is cornered now. Be wary for this will make him dangerous, but you should also know that he is indeed much weaker. Take this."

Asheron gives you Imbued Pyreal Nugget.
    Asheron tells you, "The portals into the citadel's inverted ziggurat lay nearby. I have been able to determine the rudimentary difficulty of the areas within and have restricted the entrances to assist you in your task. Find the appropriate portal and enter the ziggurat, find the golem and give the nugget to it. I will speak to you more once this is accomplished."

Each dungeon is similar in design, with a pre-maze area where you'll be fighting most of the creatures, a maze area (head up), and the end portion with the Platinum Golem.

When you reach the end, hand the Imbued Pyreal Nugget to the Golem and it will open a portal to the Proving Grounds.

You give Platinum Golem Imbued Pyreal Nugget.
    Platinum Golem says, "I hear and obey Lord Asheron Realadain."
    Asheron's voice fills your mind, "You have done well. Now you must pass a set of trials that the citadel itself will place before you. In a sense it lives, as this was the design of the Empyrean from before my years. You must not fail, failure can lead to death. I will ensure that portals are created to assist you should you meet with misadventure."

Trial #1 -- The Tribunal
    To pass the first test of the proving ground, you must answer a riddle posed to you by The Tribunal, a giant statue of a head. Click the post which has the corresponding answer. If you answer it correctly, you will be portalled to the next area and given a Seal Fragment. If you answer incorrectly 3 times, you'll get an all expense paid trip to Teth!

Trial#2 -- Rolling Death
    Next you will face Rolling Balls of Death! Yes, that's right: Rolling Balls of Death! Your task is to get to the end of the corridor, dodging the rolling death balls, and through the door. The door, however, is not an ordinary door! It must be smote! Melee attacks will be almost impossible. Instead, use archery to attack it from afar. Your corners will be safe spots. Because of the door's low resist, even players without bow trained can be effective with a store bought bow or crossbow and some arrows. Once the door has been defeated, the balls of death will stop spawning temporarily. In the following chamber, you'll find chests with more seal fragments, and a portal to the next area of the proving ground.

Trial#3 -- Floor Puzzle
    The third task is a floor puzzle. To make your way across, you'll need to use a diagram that can be found in one of the previous corridors. Don't try to jump across; there is an invisible ceiling. At the other side, you must hit a switch which causes the chests with the seal fragments to spawn. A portal to the final area will also open.

Trial#4 -- Reverence of the Ceremony
    For your final task, you must show your patience and discipline by passing through a room in silence. No talking, and no spellcasting. If you quietly walk through, you will be safe. If you speak, you will be portalled back to the start of the dungeon. Once through the room, pull the switch for your final seal fragment and take the portal back to Asheron. Two golems may also spawn in this room. Melees may fight them if necessary.

The seal fragments fit together to create part of a larger seal. There is still a section missing.

The Hearths
    Combine the Seal Fragments into an Ornate Seal. Hand it to Asheron and in return, he will return an Imbued Ornate Seal and a Citadel Portal Gem. Use it to enter the Citadel. Inside, there are 4 Hearth portals with levels corresponding to the Ziggurat and Proving Grounds Portals.

You give Asheron Ornate Seal.
    Asheron tells you, "Yes, I had thought the architecture was reminiscent of that epoch...You will need this for there are hidden pillars on the surface of the citadel. When you have destroyed the hearth gems they will be revealed."
    Asheron tells you, "You must prepare yourself well for what you will face. On the surface of the citadel there are four large gems. Each functions as a small well between worlds, it is difficult to explain but think of it as a space within a space. There you will find one of the hearth gems that continue to draw mana from the ley lines of the world. They are fueling the spell which hides the pillars at the moment."
    Asheron tells you, "I have constructed gems that will portal you onto the citadel. There you should find entrances into the hearth gems. Defeat the device that is within and then find the pillar. Once you have placed the seal within the pillar you should transported into the lowest level of the sanctum, located in the tower."
    Asheron tells you, "I wish you well on your endeavor."

Asheron gives you Imbued Ornate Seal.
    Asheron gives you Citadel Portal Gem.

Gaerlan
    Valinar of WE reports the following: "Upon destruction of all of the crystals, a 20-39 portal opened in the stair maze (the library). Inside were frost elementals (mid range and low) and Gaerlen himself, a level 750 Empyrean. 4 archers and 5 melees couldn't take him. Can't use elemental weapons on him. After an hour or so we had to pull out due to depression of him being at 99% health forever. He can be vulned and imped... too bad though we didn't have a full blown mage in there."

The first time the quest is completed, killing the Frost Aspect of Gaerlan spawned a portal for the next higher level group.

(Character Name) has defeated Gaerlan's frost aspect. As the illusion crumbles away a portal coalesces in the Citadel Library beckoning the brave defenders of Dereth to face down Gaerlan's fiery aspect.

Once the Fiery Aspect was defeated, another portal opened and his Acid Aspect was the foe. The final 80+ group fought the Electrical Aspect. Once the elemental aspects of Gaerlan were defeated a portal to the Inner Sanctum opened where Gaerlan himself awaited! After a long and arduous battle, Gaerlan was slain and Nuhmudira appeared, trapping him in a phylactery.

(Character Name) with the assistance of their fellow Isparians has defeated Gaerlan. As the madman falls, a hush spreads in the place that was once his citadel.

Nuhmudira appears in a flourish of wispy thin smoke, as she coalesces she lets out a low laugh. Gaerlan's form seems frozen in time.

Nuhmudira says, "Dead? Dead? Not dead. Not yet. There is so much left that you need to do."
    Nuhmudira says, "You have done well to ruin this cur's reign. I also would like to thank those of you that assisted me in my hour of need. It is difficult to show such forgiveness to one that finds and kills her own kind. I am glad that some of you had that pity in your heart."

Nuhmudira pauses and gives a hard look to the floating form of Gaerlan.

Nuhmudira says, "On the other hand, I have no such pity within my breast for this man."

Nuhmudira starts speaking in an incomprehensible language.

Nuhmudira says, "Saervu Nuhmudi, Gaerlan."

Mana swirls in the place where Gaerlan was slain.

Nuhmudira says, "Yes, Gaerlan, an endless life of servitude. Forever imprisoned within the walls of this citadel. Worse still within a phylactery. You shall rise so that my people may visit upon you the torment you meant for me to endure."

citizen059 on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think, for its time, frore was the much harder quest in Asheron's Call. It was in before all of the crazy ueber templates were common place. Not only that, but that freaking death jump, where if you hit the opposing wall you took damage the whole way down, and the constant cold damage you had to endure while in there. Just my two cents though.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, and bards... A bard spell lasted as long as you actively used it, plus several seconds. A bard in combat went like this:

Press 1 to turn on song 1.
    Press 1 to turn off song 1.
    Press 2 to turn on song 2.
    Press 2 to turn off song 2.
    Press 3 to turn on song 3.
    Press 3 to turn off song 3.
    Repeat.

Unless you had Teamspeak or Vent, a bard could not communicate while fighting.

A friend of mine got carpal tunnel syndrome from playing his bard. He went by the name Mugu Gaipan.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Oh, and bards... A bard spell lasted as long as you actively used it, plus several seconds. A bard in combat went like this:

Press 1 to turn on song 1.
    Press 1 to turn off song 1.
    Press 2 to turn on song 2.
    Press 2 to turn off song 2.
    Press 3 to turn on song 3.
    Press 3 to turn off song 3.
    Repeat.

Unless you had Teamspeak or Vent, a bard could not communicate while fighting.

A friend of mine got carpal tunnel syndrome from playing his bard. He went by the name Mugu Gaipan.

That name is made of win.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    seabass wrote: »
    I think, for its time, frore was the much harder quest in Asheron's Call. It was in before all of the crazy ueber templates were common place. Not only that, but that freaking death jump, where if you hit the opposing wall you took damage the whole way down, and the constant cold damage you had to endure while in there. Just my two cents though.

You're probably right.

I didn't get to participate in that one though, until much later when it had been "figured out" and everyone knew the best way to do it. :lol:

Oh, and on a side note: The re-introduction of the Hoary Mattekar saw me spend over a year hunting them before I got a single hide to drop. That's worse than any end-boss I ever met. O_o

citizen059 on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    People complain about the 20 minute Kael fight, I can't imagine what hell they'd raise if there was a 4 fucking hour boss.

It gets worse, when you take into account the mechanics of the game.

Bosses did so much damage that a tank would die in under three seconds, no questions asked, nothing anyone could do about it. I think the fastest heal in the game took right around 3 seconds to cast, I don't really remember. But the point was there was no way you could safely wait for a tank to take damage before healing. Raids got around this by setting up a specific "heal chain", using a spell that (if I remember right) took 10 seconds to cast. Cleric 1 would start to cast the heal, and at 2 seconds, cleric 2 would start to cast the next heal, so on up to 5 clerics. At 7 seconds the tank would pull, and hopefully he'd keep agro and the healers wouldn't get creamed. These poor clerics did this, and nothing but this, for the entire duration of was probably a 30 to 45 minute fight. The raid would have backup clerics to fill in when one ran out of mana. There was no way to spot heal, there was just nothing in the game that could cast fast enough and heal enough damage.

It was similarily bad for other people as well. Threat was an all or nothing thing in EQ, if you inched above the tank at any point, the mob would destroy you. All DPS classes (those that had one) got around this by using whatever threat-clearing abilities they had every time the cooldown was up. Rogues got some kind of feint ability, few other classes got feign death, etc. Average cooldown was around 6 seconds.

Tanks had it bad too. Their only real threat generation was "taunt", on a 6 second cooldown, that if not resisted (you got no message that it was resisted either) bumped you to the top of the threat list, plus a small bonus. That was it.. your melee damage and the taunt button was all you had to hold agro. They improved on this after a while by putting in weapons with threat producing procs, but I guarantee every warrior spent every fight of his career mashing taunt every time the button popped.

Only people that really had it easy were ranged dps. But even they had problems, resists were a huge problem and for several years, and dots would not stack (which completely fucked the necromancer class, a dot based class). The resist problem was worked around by casting a debuff that reduced resists (forget who casted it.. shaman or enchanters I think). They had to refresh this debuff once a minute or so I think. Shaman would have to spam cast a spell that would slow the boss' attack speed, or else the tank would die, Bards would have to cast 2 or 3 spells on a 6 second rotation or something retarded, and necromancers would have to sacrifice their entire mana pool to transfer mana to a healer.

Pretty much every boss fight required this level of repetition, and it never got fun. Yet we did it anyways, because seeing bosses dead most definitely was fun.

Reading this almost made me want to break my fingers. I bet talk of raid burnout on WOW or other MMO forums must make you laugh bitterly.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Reading this almost made me want to break my fingers. I bet talk of raid burnout on WOW or other MMO forums must make you laugh bitterly.

Pretty much.

The spell Clerics used the most was Complete Heal, which has a 10 second casting time. For the longest time it did exactly what the name says it does, but they eventually nerfed to (I think) 10,000 HP. I had a Cleric as an alt, with a Necromancer being my main.

Monks, Shadow Knights, and Necromancers had an aggro wipe called Feign Death, with Necromancers eventually getting an upgrade called Comatose, and eventually Shadow Knights and Necromancers learned Death Peace.

Rogues could Feint (I think that was it's name), and Wizards had a Concussion line of spells to reduce their threat. When PoP came out and they could get some pants with a clicky Concussion there was much rejoicing.

DoT stacking pissed me off in WoW, especially after seeing how fucked it was in EQ for the longest time. There was really no point in bringing more than one Necromancer along with the exception of a much hated spell called Sedulous Subversion, which was a mana dump. While DoT stacking was eventually implemented and good Necromancers could outdamage basically everything (as of the time I quit), prior to that a Necromancer's one and only job was to give his mana to a healer or DPSer. That caused the nickname "Twitch Bitch" to be given to many a Necro, with its origin being the emote that was part of the spell.
    xzzy wrote:
    The resist problem was worked around by casting a debuff that reduced resists (forget who casted it.. shaman or enchanters I think). They had to refresh this debuff once a minute or so I think.

Both, actually. Shamans had the Malo line of spells, and Enchanters had Tash. An Enchanter was usually assigned to debuff their resists, and whoever was first did a "suicide Tash" because they were usually guaranteed to die.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Let's not forget that even groups were a bitch to get together. It wasn't just Tank, Healer, DPS. There was Tank, Healer, Slower, CC, DPS, DPS. You could manage without CC if you had a feign puller like a monk, shadowknight, or necromancer. You could NEVER manage without a healer, tank, and slower.

The worst part about EQ raiding was the buffing. Before Mass Buff it was hell. 24% of your mana and 8 seconds cast time... per target... per group... for a 72 man raid. Needless to say, wiping took at least an hour to recover from, before you could start reclearing the trash.

narv107 on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Any fight where randomness WILL cause a wipe is a bad one.

This includes Vael, Prince, and to a lesser extent, Aran.

We are currently learning FLK and Poking Al'ar, yet I still go on the odd Kara alt run. Prince can DIAF, that fight just sucks period, if the infernals are random they sure know how to translate random into "eat your face" We had them in a long line following the tank to the ranged, in a circle around the tank, any crappy combination you like.We adapt and rarely wipe these days but its not what I call fun

Venkman90 on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    narv107 wrote: »
    Let's not forget that even groups were a bitch to get together. It wasn't just Tank, Healer, DPS. There was Tank, Healer, Slower, CC, DPS, DPS. You could manage without CC if you had a feign puller like a monk, shadowknight, or necromancer. You could NEVER manage without a healer, tank, and slower.

The worst part about EQ raiding was the buffing. Before Mass Buff it was hell. 24% of your mana and 8 seconds cast time... per target... per group... for a 72 man raid. Needless to say, wiping took at least an hour to recover from, before you could start reclearing the trash.

These EQ stories boggle my mind. How the hell did you guys put up with this shit.

riz on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Venkman90 wrote: »

We are currently learning FLK and Poking Al'ar, yet I still go on the odd Kara alt run. Prince can DIAF, that fight just sucks period, if the infernals are random they sure know how to translate random into "eat your face" We had them in a long line following the tank to the ranged, in a circle around the tank, any crappy combination you like.We adapt and rarely wipe these days but its not what I call fun

Now, I've never done the prince fight, but I've heard alot about it. Would it really kill Blizzard to set it up to make it pseudo-random, so that there's always a way out, but it skill keep the players on their toes?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    riz wrote: »
    These EQ stories boggle my mind. How the hell did you guys put up with this shit.

Easy. Put yourself in the year 2000. You want to play an MMO. Here are your mainstream options:
    1)Asheron's Call
    2)Everquest
    3)Ultima Online

That it. Three. UO (as I understand) was very PvP-centric back then so if you wanted PvE that was out. It was also not 3-D, if you were a graphics whore all those years ago.

So you had two choices which could not be more different in play style. If you preferred the Everquest style, you had one choice. So people stuck through the amazing amount of bullshit (by today's standards) in order to experience the game's many positives. There really wasn't any other option if you wanted to play a deep group and raiding PvE game.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DiscoGobbo wrote: »
    That it. Three. UO (as I understand) was very PvP-centric back then so if you wanted PvE that was out.

At the time, EQ was regarded as a vast improvement over UO. It was about as big a leap over UO as WoW was to EQ.

So no matter how abusive EQ became.. it was still better than the alternatives.

xzzy on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I simply skipped out on MMOs period at that point.

Liquid Ghost on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I stuck to consoles mainly then, but that wasn't just because MMOs looked like crap. It was mainly because I was still in college and consoles/lan games were easier to set up for me and my friends - then WOW came out pretty much a month or two after I graduated and started earning good money, then with work, i found online gaming easier than getting friends around to console

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zython wrote: »
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Now, I've never done the prince fight, but I've heard alot about it. Would it really kill Blizzard to set it up to make it pseudo-random, so that there's always a way out, but it skill keep the players on their toes?

Prince has an ability called Enfeeble, where he randomly cuts a few guys HP to 1 and you can't be healed, he then casts an AOE spell and mele have to run out of range...I was running out at 1hp when an Infernal landed on my face...

They have programmed them to land on Rogues with 1hp!

But no, they wont change it as it is possible to luck out, if your DPS is good you wont get too many.

Venkman90 on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Prince is more luck-based than other boss fights, but it's not as bad as people say. It's not like the infernals just magically appear; you can see them fly in, and you have a second or two to move after they land.

Unlucky infernal drops can kill you, as well, but they're really rare. If you wait until you are in a corner and surrounded to try and move, and then get one right on top of you, that's not bad luck. That's the game telling you to be more proactive.

You can get unlucky in phase 2, as well, but that really just means your tank/healers are a big undergeared.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mother Shahraz

It's not nerfed yet, and it will be on next patch (ohlol). Currently, what happens is that Mother randomly selects 3 people from your raid (sometimes 1 or 2, but usually 3), teleports them to anywhere in the room and puts a debuff on them that causes them to deal 3000 damage per second to everyone around them. The damage starts from the very second they get ported. This leads to fun stuff like .... all 3 landing on the tanks, or landing on the healer groups, or being ported into the middle of a couch so they can't move.

This isn't even worrying about the MT being oneshotted because he just took 28k Shadow damage.

Junpei on
  • focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can get unlucky in phase 2, as well, but that really just means your tank/healers are a big undergeared.

I have to disagree. I once took 14k damage in less then a second through 33k armor. Not much you can do to heal through/mitigate that. Sometimes he just gets an unlucky thrash/crush string.

focused7 on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think part of the reason we were fine with EQ being as painful as it was was because a big chunk of its players had been MUD players. In fact, EQ was touted as being a graphical MUD long before the term MMO showed up. If you've ever played a MUD, then EQ was exactly what you expected. It took forever to level, death penalty being huge was normal, exp penalties based on race/skills were normal, the possibility of losing all your gear permanently was also normal.

While the game sounds horrible and harsh nowadays, it had some amazing moments. I remember doing Lady Vox and Nagafen, the ice and fire dragon respectively, in full bronze armor dual wielding SSoYs thinking I was the shit. Camping that FBSS took forever too. It's almost the equivalent of doing Molten Core in something worse than your tier 0 set. When you entered the first raid zones (Plane of Hate and Plane of Fear) and fought epic battles to face the Gods of the world, it was astounding. Sure, you lost 3 levels in the process, it took 6 to 8 hours of buggy pathing, falling through the world and randomly getting Death Touched, but it was AWESOME! I don't know how my kidneys survived all those cans of coke and code-red mountain dew.

I don't know that WoW really captured that feeling - it was fun doing BWL when it came out, killing Chromaggus was a huge rush, but that's about it. MC was a shit fest, I didn't like AQ, and never did much in Naxx. Maybe it has to do with the fact that pulling isn't nearly as technical as it was in EQ, or maybe the risk v reward isn't really there. I can't put my finger on it.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the maulgar pull is fun

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    I don't know that WoW really captured that feeling - it was fun doing BWL when it came out, killing Chromaggus was a huge rush, but that's about it. MC was a shit fest, I didn't like AQ, and never did much in Naxx. Maybe it has to do with the fact that pulling isn't nearly as technical as it was in EQ, or maybe the risk v reward isn't really there. I can't put my finger on it.

As with WoW in general, I think a lot of times it's the people you're with that make things feel epic or not. When we first killed Chromag and took our first look at Nef's room, we all turned run to walk and RP walked as a group all the way to Nef's room, and took the obligatory throne screenshots, and then the GM read the quest text out loud on Vent as he started it for our first wipe. It sounds kind of silly but man it was fucking glorious.

And heheh Maulgar. We wiped on that pull last week. New mage tank, but still.

riz on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The white rabbit. AC players know what I'm talking about.

"Oh heh, they threw in another joke mob. Let's one-shot it so we can say we killed the white rabbit."
    *twang*
    "..its not dead. Arg %~@%t Mainfg" *DEAD*

The best part is the thing would attack you if you looked at it funny. WoW players- remember the color codes for mobs? AC doesn't have that. Instead, you have a skill that lets you see the mob's level.

If you tried that on the White Rabbit it would insta-kill you.

Phoenix-D on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh god.

Ranarok's notorious monsters were the best thing.

"Oh hey look I'm level 10 killin some poorings HOLY SHIT that one has wings it must be awesome lemme go: DEAD :"

Basically they would stick superpowerful boss monsters with pretty fucking huge aggro ranges in horribly innappropriate areas.

But I have to admit Doppleganger was pretty much the best idea ever.

Transporter on
  • chadwickvmchadwickvm Registered User new member
    Okay, so it's a 6 year old thread, so what. I ran across this and had to put in my 2cp. As an ex-Everquester, I think the most difficult rading scenario ever done was this, http://www.tesuji.org/old_news/kerafyrm_the_sleeper_re-revisited.html , the killing of Kerafyrm; mostly because it wasn't supposed to be doable. The real rub is when you read what Sony did on attempt one of the guilds involved.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    yeah you really didn't have to put in your 2cp

This discussion has been closed.