As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Phalla]er's Dilemma - Game Over.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Megafrost

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Round 5 has closed.

All votes and action submissions at or before x:59 will count; votes and actions made at or after x:00 will not.

Results will be up in a half hour.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Every non circle should have fallen in line. Let's see if we pulled enough doublevote and doublepoints to get both the vig and the vote...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    You'll probably get one or the other.
    Assuming that everyone has a double power left, the circles will outnumber non-circles in one of the categories.

discrider on
  • Options
    Start of Round 6

Eliminated Players
    Preda
    Smasher
    Spoit

Eliminated Features
    One, One, Two
    Red, Green, Green
    Circle, Square, Triangle

Remaining Features
    One (x5), Two (x4), Three (x3)
    Red (x4), Blue (x4), Green (x4)
    Circle (x7), Square (x2), Triangle (x3)

Round 6 Form

Round 6 is scheduled to end Tuesday, December 17, 8pm PST / 11pm EST / Wednesday, December 18, 4am UTC.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Discrider next.

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    OOOOOoooooOOOOooooOOOO

Damn! I really thought it could work...

OOOoooooOOOOooooOOOO

• Options
    jq6UNBd.jpg

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    7v5 and you non-circs just blew your load, I think not
    You might as well start fighting for second place

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, at this point, Circles win.

The other people have used up their vote manip, and cannot win the vote. And we have the score abilities and numbers to not die and to win the vig also I believe.
    I could be wrong. But I don't think the circles lose another player, unless there has been some infiltration of the circles, which there doesn't seem to be.

discrider on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    too bad no one listened two days ago when I told them to actually deal with this problem

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Less talking, more voting.

Megafrost

• Options
    In the worst case for the circles, they lose the vig tonight, go 1 for 2 again, and then win the game.

• Options
    You and Preda both SLyM

• Options
    Megafrost

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Megafrost

• Options
    All Round 5 updates are out, let me know if there are any omissions or errors.

The submission form has also been unlocked, with an additional question. If I get orders from everyone, I may end the day early if there is sufficient consent. I may not wait on everything however, if things look inevitable.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Depends. Does even a single circle have double points left?

• Options
    Yes. Like most of us I reckon.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You're going to die tonight SLyM.
    My vig is going to go off and you're going to dieee.
    Just like nights 1-5.

discrider on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Well, looks like the game is called, no?

Jdarksun
    MrBlarns, is the game over? Leaving on a ski trip again tonight, I'll put in orders but feel free to replace me

• Options
    Alegis wrote: »
    MrBlarns, is the game over? Leaving on a ski trip again tonight, I'll put in orders but feel free to replace me
    The game is currently still in progress.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Megafrost

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    megafrost

• Options
    jdark

• Options
    I'd like to stop being doomed, thanks.

• Options
    Having received nine orders from the twelve remaining players and assent to close the day early from all, I'm going to call things here. Considering the way the Circle-attribute players have been moving in lockstep, there doesn't appear to be any way for the tide to be changed. With Megafrost lost to the vote, Cythraul lost to the high-scorer's choice, and another non-Circle player to the low-score penalty, that would leave seven Circle players against two non-Circle players at the start of Round 7, for which there is no question regarding the outcome. And so:

discrider, Egos, jdarksun, Langly, Locus, Megafrost, MrTLicious, Phyphor, and premium are victorious, sharing the attribute Circle!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Master Spreadsheet

Player Roles

Brief Host Notes

This game was conceived as a backup phalla to be run at a time when no other game was running. When I was trying to think of games to put together for this capacity, I believe it was Spoit who recommended that I try making another game using the old Set Phalla schema. I had already used the framework for Vote Manipulation Phalla, so it wasn't unreasonable to make another game. In addition, I had recently watched a Korean reality game show called The Genius and read the Japanese manga series Liar Game that inspired it - these properties feature games that require game theory, perception, social maneuvering, and psychology in order to succeed. So I was pretty well in the mood to come up with another game in the Set Phalla family.

I finally ended upon the Prisoner's Dilemma framework as a simple game that could be used in the Set Phalla framework. There were natural places for player elimination without need for extra special abilities and a goodly amount of potential for deception with the multi-dimensional factional nature of the base game. In order to make things more interesting and to allow some room for additional maneuvering, I gave everyone a few one-time abilities. I recognized that there was potential for runaway victories using coalitions, so I hoped it would be enough to push against it a little bit.

In the actual game, the Circle-attribute players were able to successfully band together and conserved enough of their abilities to take the game with relative ease once they formed a majority. I'm actually quite fine with that - with the effort those players put into the game, especially discrider, it only makes sense that they'd get more out of the game. Set Phalla is a game where making connections is of extreme importance, and those that have the most time to contact and coordinate with others will find the most success. Unlike most games, where each player has a single motivation (win condition), this game gives each player multiple motivations, increasing the need to socialize for success.

Despite the fact that the game ended up lopsided, I can't really be unhappy with the game. It was an experiment, and I think it was worth trying, just to see how it would turn out. Perhaps it was a bit too unhealthy on the social requirements, but it was at least something different. And really, mini-Phallas are a pretty good spot to try something different. Too all my players, I apologize if things weren't to your tastes, and I thank you for indulging my curiosity with your participation. See you next game.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    YESSSSS.
    DAY 1D BLARNEY'S PHALLA.
    GRUDGE FULFILLED.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i'm a triangle i have three points

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Shape containing pi is best shape. It was inevitable

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The three attribute forums:
    http://circlecirclecircle.freeforums.net/
    http://numbahone.freeforums.net/
    http://greeeeeeeennnn.freeforums.net/

And me and Gizzy Hippie as mentioned previously:
    http://peoplenotinaset.freeforums.net/board/1/general-board

Gizzy Hippie was one of two people (I think) who freely gave me their information before I revealed on Day 1.
    That was incredibly unfortunate, so I didn't reveal her as not-me until she revealed herself in thread.

That said, I knew who all my shared trait buddies were by the end of day 2, aside Mikey who then died that night.

discrider on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever been dead d1 in a phalla before. Now to find the bastard who killed me...

...oh wait, I thought "Defect against the person who might trust me, cooperate with literally everyone else" was a good strategy. Never mind.

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!