As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    No, but the only thing is that I'm only having trouble with this one game.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Try using the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Works for me, and might solve your issue.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently I'm doing something very wrong:

Mouse controls are painful and nearly unusable for me. Turning is sluggish and/or unresponsive, aiming is damn near impossible due to mouse-controls resulting in the airframe shimmying about whenever there's any direction change (even minute changes), and generally unintuitive switching between mouse and keyboard inputs (plowed into the water due to mouse controls reversing what my keyboard controls were doing).

All this being the case...anybody have any suggestions? As it is right now, I don't dare even try to queue up for an actual match...and single missions are an exercise in frustration.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HmudaHmuda "What other game lets you kill a Giant Spider and use its body to make soap?" - Dwarf Fortress Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Mouse controls are painful and nearly unusable for me. Turning is sluggish and/or unresponsive, aiming is damn near impossible due to mouse-controls resulting in the airframe shimmying about whenever there's any direction change (even minute changes), and generally unintuitive switching between mouse and keyboard inputs (plowed into the water due to mouse controls reversing what my keyboard controls were doing).

All this being the case...anybody have any suggestions? As it is right now, I don't dare even try to queue up for an actual match...and single missions are an exercise in frustration.
    Sounds like you're using "simplified controls" where the mouse is basically a stand-in for the joystick. Go to control options and use "mouse aim".

Space Engine videos with appropriate music. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hmuda
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Hmuda wrote: »

Sounds like you're using "simplified controls" where the mouse is basically a stand-in for the joystick. Go to control options and use "mouse aim".

Yup...already using mouse aim. Not sure what else to tinker with, control-wise, to make it feel...right. In some ways, it feels like a hybrid of Freelancer and Wings of Prey...but not really getting either control scheme to feel 'right'.

I think I just might have to accept that the game won't feel right for me until I get a suitable HOTAS array...

...which will take some time.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular

Yup...already using mouse aim. Not sure what else to tinker with, control-wise, to make it feel...right. In some ways, it feels like a hybrid of Freelancer and Wings of Prey...but not really getting either control scheme to feel 'right'.

I think I just might have to accept that the game won't feel right for me until I get a suitable HOTAS array...

Just to be sure, you aren't playing on simulation difficulty are you? Because that absolutely does require a joystick. On Arcade mode you shouldn't need the keyboard to steer at all, only for throttle and to roll.

• Options
    Last Son wrote: »

Just to be sure, you aren't playing on simulation difficulty are you? Because that absolutely does require a joystick. On Arcade mode you shouldn't need the keyboard to steer at all, only for throttle and to roll.

I've been using the setting between Arcade (which I despise in games like these) and Simulation..."Realistic", I think they call it.

• Options
    HmudaHmuda "What other game lets you kill a Giant Spider and use its body to make soap?" - Dwarf Fortress Registered User regular
    Just to clarify.

Is it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FB_HpwGmU

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zk3QrviUE

Also, just go with Arcade. "Simulation" is joystick only (or mouse as joystick stand-in which is horrible), while the "realistic" (the old "historical") setting is a mix between the two, with mouse aim but way more accurate flight models. As a new player you're better off playing in arcade battles anyway, you'd be just seal-clubbed in realistic matches.

• Options
    It's more like the second video, @Hmuda. And I have no intention to even look at the actual "Play Now" matches until I can manage to get a grip with the controls in the single-missions.

My main issue with games with "Arcade" settings is that I've grown up with Chuck Yeager's Advanced Air Combat, EAW, Jane's World War II, and the DCS games...so if there's an "Arcade" setting, it's reserved for games set in the Crimson Skies universe or in space.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Prior experiences have no bearing in this game. There are three kinds of matches. Arcade, realistic and simulator.

Arcade is where most players are and it only has the arcade flight models.
    Realistic battles only have what you seems to be struggling with now. Mouse aim, but with closer-to-reality flight models.
    Simulator is joystick only.

Practicing realistic in single missions won't change the fact that you'll end up playing arcade matches anyways if you want to get more planes with better upgrades, which is necessary for realistic battles. If you jump into realistic battles with the starter planes, you'll just get your biplanes seal-clubbed over and over again by Spitfires and Bf 109s.

Just queue up for a few arcade matches and don't worry about realistic battles until you have a couple more planes in your roster. Don't dismiss arcade because of its name, that is the entry level for the game.

Hmuda on

• Options
    So I finally figured out what my connection issue was....

My ethernet port on my motherboard was shitting the bed.

It finally just up and died, I had an extra NIC card sitting around.

I hopped on, still getting between a 90-104 ping but no more packet loss.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Prior experiences have no bearing in this game. There are three kinds of matches. Arcade, realistic and simulator.

Arcade is where most players are and it only has the arcade flight models.
    Realistic battles only have what you seems to be struggling with now. Mouse aim, but with closer-to-reality flight models.
    Simulator is joystick only.

Practicing realistic in single missions won't change the fact that you'll end up playing arcade matches anyways if you want to get more planes with better upgrades, which is necessary for realistic battles. If you jump into realistic battles with the starter planes, you'll just get your biplanes seal-clubbed over and over again by Spitfires and Bf 109s.

Just queue up for a few arcade matches and don't worry about realistic battles until you have a couple more planes in your roster. Don't dismiss arcade because of its name, that is the entry level for the game.

I know you're trying to be helpful here...and I do appreciate it. I guess my main issue now is that it's left a negative first impression on me. I went in thinking it was going to be more IL-2 (including Wings of Prey using realistic settings) and less Freelancer in atmo. Basically, where having an extensive background in detailed flight sims would be a benefit and not be rendered inconsequential.

I'll likely try out the arcade settings, and who knows...I'll probably like it. I'm not counting the game out yet...it's just a mental barrier in the way right now.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Arcade mode is like Ace Combat

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    I think I understand what you mean, if you're playing "Realistic" mode (formerly Historical). When turning with the mouse the plane seems to wobble around? And when turning with the KB and you release control, it bobbles around? That's the instructor flailing at the controls trying to keep the plane a float (and using waaaay too much rudder). When you use the KB to pitch or yaw and whatnot, the instructor stops fussing with the control surfaces (Mostly), but when you stop using the KB it takes back the wheel and tries to point the plane where your mouse is looking. So if you were doing a high G turn to the left, but your mouse was floating around to the right a bit, once you release control the instructor will go "HE WANTS TO GO THIS WAY!" and flail the plane about while you re-position the pointer.

Some planes wobble around more than others. I tend to stay away from Historical/Realistic (Never touching Simulator) specifically because of this effect.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I could prolly get into this if everyone was playing with the more tough flight modes...but the lead reticle kills it for me. From what I'm reading no one uses tracers because of it...it just kills a lot of the tactics and skill required.

I look forward to supporting you flyboys in my, apparently, unbombable tank.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    lotta not so subtle snobbery on this page...

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Don't passive aggressive bash people.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I could prolly get into this if everyone was playing with the more tough flight modes...but the lead reticle kills it for me. From what I'm reading no one uses tracers because of it...it just kills a lot of the tactics and skill required.

I could get one board with Historical flight controls, if there were respawns. Make any claim you want, but fuck flying five minutes to the fight for a single bullet to shred your wing and put you into the ground, now you're doing fuckall for the next ten minutes.

That is literally my only complaint with the game mode. I enjoy having to land to rearm, makes bullets count, the flight controls are challenging and really help to highlight aircraft advantages and drawbacks, but fuck off with one and done. Leave that for Simulation.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    That's actually what I think Mechwarrior is also missing, respawns with weight matching.

Cabezone on
  • Options

If I had my way, I would remove that reticle. It makes everyone a sniper. It would tone down some of the more OP planes (37mm+ fuckoff cannons) if they couldn't rely on a dot telling them the general area to flip someone off. But its waaay too late in the game to be removing stuff so ingrained like that lead reticle.

And yeah, timed respawn HB would make getting into HB less rage inducing.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

*shrug* We have a report button.

Seriously, though, the reticle is a gigantic non-issue. I've been playing this long enough to know that unless their target is moving in a straight line, your average pubbie can't actually hit anything other than through sheer volume of fire. To the point where it may actually be a detriment because a lot of people rely way too much on it and just abandon any logic and just follow the reticle regardless of what the target is doing.

Like, when when you find an enemy trying to zoom on your tail, do barrel or snap roll. More often than not it works because the other guy ends up spazzing out trying to hit the wrong thing, and will overshoot you (or smack into you). Likewise in a head-to-head; aim a few degrees above the target about 1km or so out, fire a burst, and then go erratic before he even gets into indicator range.

This is a big part of why I've always felt kinda dismissive about the complaints about fighting 37mm-armed planes.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you said there, all I heard was "HONK"

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

*shrug* We have a report button.

Seriously, though, the reticle is a gigantic non-issue. I've been playing this long enough to know that unless their target is moving in a straight line, your average pubbie can't actually hit anything other than through sheer volume of fire. To the point where it may actually be a detriment because a lot of people rely way too much on it and just abandon any logic and just follow the reticle regardless of what the target is doing.

Like, when when you find an enemy trying to zoom on your tail, do barrel or snap roll. More often than not it works because the other guy ends up spazzing out trying to hit the wrong thing, and will overshoot you (or smack into you). Likewise in a head-to-head; aim a few degrees above the target about 1km or so out, fire a burst, and then go erratic before he even gets into indicator range.

This is a big part of why I've always felt kinda dismissive about the complaints about fighting 37mm-armed planes.

The lead reticule in arcade is a non-issue for me as well. It does serve a good purpose of teaching newer players the rough angles needed to get shots off while still making them learn to properly lead and aim. However, if someone just goes for that lead indicator they'll get way fewer kills since it's center of mass and generally results in not hitting anything relevant.

I've kinda stopped caring about cannons as I've gotten better. A pilot just with 7's and 12s but with good aim can get just as many OHKs as a plane with a cannon on it. Cannons certainly make things easier but they are a bit of a crutch. Learn to BnZ in a US plane armed with a bunch MGs or turn fight with an early Japanese plane and you'll be in a much better place than someone who just relies on point blank cannon fire spam.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The lead reticule in arcade is a non-issue for me as well. It does serve a good purpose of teaching newer players the rough angles needed to get shots off while still making them learn to properly lead and aim. However, if someone just goes for that lead indicator they'll get way fewer kills since it's center of mass and generally results in not hitting anything relevant.

I've kinda stopped caring about cannons as I've gotten better. A pilot just with 7's and 12s but with good aim can get just as many OHKs as a plane with a cannon on it. Cannons certainly make things easier but they are a bit of a crutch. Learn to BnZ in a US plane armed with a bunch MGs or turn fight with an early Japanese plane and you'll be in a much better place than someone who just relies on point blank cannon fire spam.
    Nothing's more satisfying than watching a bunch of pubbies unloading belts after belts of ammo into the dead center of a PBY (and each other), only for me to swoop in, put a burst into its wing and watch if break apart.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    s1ppycup wrote: »
    God bless the Me 410 B-6/R3. Feels even stronger after the patch for some reason. Had a great game with Shiashi and Kakos where I flew bomber escort and vaporized 2 or 3 fighters that tunnel-visioned on their B17s. 30 mm mineshot is no joke.

save us pls pippykip

k

MINENGESCHOß

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you said there, all I heard was "HONK"

Yes, what could the person with the most experience playing this game possibly know about it?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Watching pubbies freak out because you sniped them past .7k is the best. They never seem to grasp bullets existing outside the lead indicator :rotate:

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    In fairness, planes are unrealistically bullet spongey in this game, even in full Sim mode. I'm pretty used to aiming for center mass on anything other than bombers because I'm used to IL-2 (which recognizes that all sorts of important things are still in the center of the plane, and having them shot is Pretty Darn Bad), and it's pretty clearly done to distinguish between low-tier aircraft with MGx2 vs high tier aircraft with MG6+. You can sit behind a Spitfire for days and unload everything into it and it won't count for jack if you're flying, say, a Buffalo with 2 MGs - even if you're aiming right at the rear of the cockpit or the fin stabilizer (which, as far as I can tell, is completely invulnerable to damage. Which is kind of retarded if you're expecting sim-level detail).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CB0E95BD3B159A3A35A9D71C9B5F44C7C9CAE567

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Was that a pic of me, but seriously I had my rudder shot off on my Ki45 last night too lol
    I flew around for 3 or 4 minutes after my rudder got shot off.
    Even got another kill because people still want to fly straight at you lol!

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    That's a Ki49 medium bomber. It's so agile I did a split S but before I could roll my tail smashed into the cockpit of the plane that was chasing me, killing his pilot and ripping off my rudder. I continued flying and bombing the rest of the round

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    CB0E95BD3B159A3A35A9D71C9B5F44C7C9CAE567

Reminded me of this
    http://youtu.be/rUHZZwuybiY?

Theflyingass on
  • Options
    The plan is, to keep you updated on the Ground Forces development progress.

Every day at 15:00 GMT you will see new information, new screenshots and updated developers’ diaries on www.warthunder.com

You will also see a live stream of the current Ground Forces gameplay, with commentry by the developers.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013
    So I was reading an article today about a company salvaging airplane parts without the legal rights and the plane in question is just too fucking cool not to share:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-82_Twin_Mustang
    F-82_Twin_Mustang.jpg

The F-82 never got used in WW2 but did see some use afterwards for a couple years as a replacement for the Black Widow. It was intended to be a super long range bomber escort and all-weather fighter but it didn't last long since the jet age kicked it right to the curb. I'd love to see it added though the armament on it is a little weak. Six 12.7s isn't much but they are all mounted on the center wing making for a fairly concentrated amount of dakka.
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    The plan is, to keep you updated on the Ground Forces development progress.

Every day at 15:00 GMT you will see new information, new screenshots and updated developers’ diaries on www.warthunder.com

You will also see a live stream of the current Ground Forces gameplay, with commentry by the developers.
    Wewt. I can't wait for the tanks to get added since I loves me some ground combat and WoT just falls way too short of scratching that itch. A tank game with properly simulated damage instead of HP bars and penetration that makes sense will be god damn glorious.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Reminds me of this thing from Cloud City
    Cloud_Car_NEGVV.jpg

"I'm flying!"
    "No! I'm flying!"

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So I've been playing a lot of this game, and decided to do some more reading on ACM and kinetic energy versus potential energy. God damn, just keeping that in mind while playing, I daresay my dogfighting has gone up considerably.

Also, apparently a lot of people are playing since the update.
    F371DB7659A5849E8B11F2F9D89EB07D74E4612D

• Options
    I've started brushing up on ACM information also. Relearning maneuvers, energy conservation techniques, good dogfight tricks, etc. This game has also got me reading and absorbing as much as possible about all sorts of WW2 craft.

For instance, today I learned I was doing my barrel rolls wrong and need to use less rudder and a more exaggerated of a barrel size. Can't wait to put this to use when I get back home.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Its kinda surprising how helpful old training filmstrips are.

http://youtu.be/C_iW1T3yg80

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I sort-of wish that the mud movers in this game were just AI-controlled creeps. It really, really sucks when either:

a) The matchmaker decides that what you need is a team comprised entirely of interceptors.

or

b) Your bombers just wander around the map and / or behave like wannabe fighters.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That's awesome. I'll have to watch that later on. We could even do an Oosik movie night where we watch these training flicks and the more experienced guys could then answer any questions. Maybe even do a custom Oosik only training battle after the show to practice.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png