As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3/360, they both match my hi-fi now, which do I buy?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Brym wrote: »
    Fourth, Dead Rising. I'll admit this game isn't exactly a system-seller, but it is great.

That was the only game I bought the 360 for. It is amazing if you like zombies and zombies in malls.

But now that I'm finished with the game... I find myself using the 360 more for a DVD player more than anything else. I doubt I'll turn it on until sometime at the beginning of next year.

urahonky on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still can't understand how people say "I bought a PS3 for the following games: X,Y,Z" and every single one of those games is still 1 year or even more away.

Do you people buy cars before getting your license?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ultrarightultraright Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd say go for a 360. There's a rich, centralized online community, and Xbox Live Arcade is a Blast. Also, I've been using mine as a media extender and streaming HD content off of my PC and loving it.

ultraright on
    ultraright.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you want to buy one right now, I'd say the 360, because it has had time to establish itself and has a fairly large library, and there's bound to be something you'll enjoy. The PS3 doesn't have many games, and even fewer really good ones, so I'd hold off until the library expands a bit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    I still can't understand how people say "I bought a PS3 for the following games: X,Y,Z" and every single one of those games is still 1 year or even more away.

Around here, yes. My roommate bought a PS3 about a month ago (got a pretty good deal on it), and whenever a new PS3 game comes out he'll say (his exact words): "If it doesn't have the words 'metal' or 'gear' in it, I don't give a shit." Which is quite funny, really.

Waste of money.

Also: I like your updated picture. Did you add that yourself?

urahonky on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Around here, yes. My roommate bought a PS3 about a month ago (got a pretty good deal on it), and whenever a new PS3 game comes out he'll say (his exact words): "If it doesn't have the words 'metal' or 'gear' in it, I don't give a shit." Which is quite funny, really.

Waste of money.

I can't understand that. I really can't.

And yeah, I added it myself after watching the series. I never had so much fun with an Anime.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fourth, Dead Rising. I'll admit this game isn't exactly a system-seller, but it is great.

That was the only game I bought the 360 for. It is amazing if you like zombies and zombies in malls.

But now that I'm finished with the game... I find myself using the 360 more for a DVD player more than anything else. I doubt I'll turn it on until sometime at the beginning of next year.

I think it is hilarious that I am wondering if I need a 2nd job just to pay for the 360 games I want between now and the end of the year and you can't find a single one you like. I know it all comes down to personal preference but damn there is a AAA title in almost every genre hitting the 360 this fall I just find it hard to believe there is nothing that interests you.

corin7 on
    edited September 2007

Waste of money.

I can't understand that. I really can't.

And yeah, I added it myself after watching the series. I never had so much fun with an Anime.

Technophiles. That's why. They have to have "the latest and greatest". I guess it gives them meaning in their life? I dunno.

Which anime is it?

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    corin7 wrote: »

I think it is hilarious that I am wondering if I need a 2nd job just to pay for the 360 games I want between now and the end of the year and you can't find a single one you like. I know it all comes down to personal preference but damn there is a AAA title in almost every genre hitting the 360 this fall I just find it hard to believe there is nothing that interests you.

List the games (the ones you want in the very least) and I'll give you my reasons. :) I promise I'm not crazy.

urahonky on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

This is pretty much the case with anyone that buys any system within the first year of its launch though.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

List the games (the ones you want in the very least) and I'll give you my reasons. :) I promise I'm not crazy.

Sept.

Halo
    Eternal Sonata

Oct

PGR4
    HL2 Orange (might do pc)
    Sega Rally
    Virtua Fighter 5

Nov

Mass Effect
    Assassins Creed
    Kane and Lynch
    Rock Band
    CoD4

Dec

lost odyssey

Just off the top of my head.

corin7 on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think you should flip a coin and let fate decide.

Remember that you have to go with the console that gets the best of two out of three coin tosses.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Waste of money.

Not to derail too much, but I hate that attitude with a passion. That mentality is one of the prime factors behind the demise of both the Saturn and the Dreamcast (People waiting on the N64 and then waiting on the PS2). The major reason being of course Sega's own stupidity.

Right now, MS has the superior product with games, just as Sony had the better game library with the PS2. This is of course in a general sense, specific games and tastes can alter any choice.

EclecticGroove on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    I think you should flip a coin and let fate decide.

Remember that you have to go with the console that gets the best of two out of three coin tosses.

Throw the Wii in there as well, and use a three-sided coin.

jothki on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm just gonna come out and say it

Anyone who looks at the list of exclusives for 360 and PS3 and chooses PS3 over 360 is either a huge Final Fantasy or MGS fan, or is just weird.

bruin on
  • chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Technophiles. That's why. They have to have "the latest and greatest". I guess it gives them meaning in their life? I dunno.

Which anime is it?
    I think it's less an issue with technophiles. The technophiles are the ones that come on the message boards and say "I bought a PS3. Yes it has many issues, not the least of which being that there are very few good games and the AAA titles it is supposed to have have basically flopped, buy hey... I still enjoy it."

The people that come on the message boards and just list all the "great" reasons to own a PS3 right now are more likely people that got emotionally invested in the brand last-gen (I won't say "fanboy" because i don't think that term totally applies.) and made their purchase based on the prior emotional investment combined with high hopes for the next-gen. Add to that the investment of $600 real world dollars and these people are shoved into a instance of major cognitive dissonance. All the evidence points to the fact that their purchase wasn't warranted so they either need to accept that they made a mistake or they need to rationalize their choice. This is the reason you see so many people up in arms about the fact that Two Worlds is so horribly reviewed. "It's a conspiracy!!! this game is the b3zt!" No, you just can't accept the flaws because you were too invested.

The technophiles are already resigned to the fact that they may purchase a new product and it won't live up to expectations. They are technophiles and they know they are going to buy the product no matter what.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
    edited September 2007
    I'm kind of surprised Rachet and Clank: Future and Uncharted haven't come up.

Or Little Big Planet for that matter.

Rehab on
    edited September 2007

Sept.

Halo (Never been a big Halo fan.)
    Eternal Sonata (I heard it's short, may end up renting it)

Oct

PGR4 (I'm not a racing person)
    HL2 Orange (might do pc) (PC)
    Sega Rally (I'm not a racing person)
    Virtua Fighter 5 (Played on the PS3, and I hate fighting games)

Nov

Mass Effect (I may or may not pick this up. I have not read anything about this game, trying to do a media blackout of it, but the hype it's generating I probably will. But with Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl I might have a hard time picking this up)
    Assassins Creed (I'll play a demo before anything else. I see too many "movies" of this game, but hardly any game footage)
    Kane and Lynch (Never heard of it)
    Rock Band (No thanks... I didn't like Guitar Hero as I suck at rhythm games, and this one is expensive)
    CoD4 (PC)

Dec

lost odyssey (I've not heard much of this game... But Brawl comes out this month so I might have to skip till next year)

My responses are bolded. So maybe 1 or 2 360 games I might have to pick up this holiday season. I have to keep up with the Wii games this season too D:

urahonky on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I'm just gonna come out and say it

Anyone who looks at the list of exclusives for 360 and PS3 and chooses PS3 over 360 is either a huge Final Fantasy or MGS fan, or is just weird.

I dunno. White Knight, Little Big Planet, and Ratchet and Clank are looking pretty good. I liked Motor Storm alot, and I want to try out Warhawk and Heavenly Sword {mainly cause I love games with silly fun physics}.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Here's what I don't get. People rag on the PS3 all the time, and sing the praises of the 360 despite there being only a handful of really competitive games on either system. Despite this, they both have some really stellar games this fall. A PS3 buy doesn't necessarily mean you've got to wait for MGS4 or FF13 next year, it means you're waiting a couple of months for R&C, Uncharted, and everything else that's been listed here. The exact same thing goes for the 360.

Seriously, you say you've been playing Viva Pinata? I've been playing Motorstorm. Dead Rising for you? Ninja Gaiden Sigma for me. Both systems were built on promises, and those promises are starting to come to fruition this fall for both systems.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited September 2007
    Bah. You can't compare Dead Rising to Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

urahonky on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got a PS3 instead of an Xbox360 for the following reasons:

1. Backward compatibility. I have a huge PS2 backlog and it's going to take me at least a year to clear out, so I got the 60Gb version that has the Emotion Engine for improved hardware compatibility. Everything after the 60Gb is using software emulation to save production costs. For me, this was the most compelling argument to get one now.

2. Upscaling. As of update 1.80, it upscales DVDs and PS2 games to 1080. I don't have the keenest eye in the room, but it works good enough for me to not even care about Blu-Ray any more. No jaggies on my DVDs is good enough.

3. Upgrading. It cost me $80 to upgrade my PS3 hard drive to 160 Gb. Microsoft wants twice that price for 120Gb.

4. Price. With the Sony Card, it cost me $350. Plus I got 5 free (mostly crappy) Blu-Ray movies and bought a second controller with my Sony Reward points.

5. Reliability. It does run hot, but it keeps going. A three year warranty would be nice, but since I'm using this as the cornerstone of my home enterainment setup, I'd hate to lose all my pictures, music, games, bookmarks, and DVD player for the weeks it takes to replace.

6. Games. The fact that the 360 has a better library is irrefutable, but I'm betting the PS3 will have something comparable by the time I'm done with my PS2 backlog. Your tastes will undoubtedly vary from mine, but the game I'm really looking forward to is LittleBigPlanet for whole-family play, and Unreal Tournament 3 for Keyboard+Mouse on a console. Others, like Assassin's Creed, Kane and Lynch, and Guitar Hero III are on my list, but I'll probably wait until they are available used anyway. A telling point on the strength of the console will be the Orange Box. If I wind up getting this for the PS3 instead of the PC, that will be a real victory.

To sum up or tl;dr: I bought a PS3 and have no regrets.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    I have to say that while I don't own either system I have to go with the PS3 so far.

Mainly because 1) The failure rate for the 360 is a huge hindrance, especially given that you are paying $350 for the machine and the PS3 which everyone just assumed would have these problems given their past console launches has actually been quite dependable 2) At the moment I really don't have a huge movie collection but I do want to build it up and get into high definition eventually, so I would pick up the PS3 in part because of the Blu-Ray player. Probably the least convincing reason for most but its there. 3) I am of the opinion that while the 360 is slightly ahead in the games department right now the PS3 is going to take the forefront with games soon (not to mention by the end of their life cycles). Since I might actually get two consoles this generation and am about to repurchase a Wii soon, my plan is to have the Wii to play games on for some time and then pick up a PS3 after another price drop or whenever I can afford it.

Rehab on
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Sept.

Halo
    Eternal Sonata

Oct

PGR4
    HL2 Orange (might do pc)
    Sega Rally
    Virtua Fighter 5

Nov

Mass Effect
    Assassins Creed
    Kane and Lynch
    Rock Band
    CoD4

Dec

lost odyssey

Yeah I could pass on all of those without loosing any sleep ;-) Seriously, not an impressive list, when you consider what's coming to the PS3 in the same time frame.

Most of the games on that list will be available on the PS3, anyway. The ones that aren't will be on the PC.
    And then there's Eternal Sonata. Yeah.. I'll pass.

robcat09 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »

Sept.

Halo
    Eternal Sonata

Oct

PGR4
    HL2 Orange (might do pc)
    Sega Rally
    Virtua Fighter 5

Nov

Mass Effect
    Assassins Creed
    Kane and Lynch
    Rock Band
    CoD4

Dec

lost odyssey

Yeah I could pass on all of those without loosing any sleep ;-) Seriously, not an impressive list, when you consider what's coming to the PS3 in the same time frame.

Most of the games on that list will be available on the PS3, anyway. The ones that aren't will be on the PC.
    And then there's Eternal Sonata. Yeah.. I'll pass.

The only one on there that MIGHT be any good as noone has played it yet is Mass Effect. The rest that are decent or above are multi-platform.

DarkWarrior on
  • antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think if you purchased Warhawk and a ps3, you won't want to play any other games for a very long time. I was not expecting this, but I am so addicted to this title.

antifood on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why I bought a PS3 and not a 360...

1. Good price, wanted it when it still had PS2 hardware compat.
    2. 360 still breaks, still no redesign. (I had been waiting for 65nm chips)
    3. 360 is too loud, I play at night when the kids are in bed, has to be quiet.
    4. Wife has been complaining about clutter in game cabinet. PS3 is basically 4 machines in one. ps2, ps3, dvd, blu-ray.

I plan on getting a 360 eventually, I'm just waiting till falcon. (Should fix 3rings, will create less heat and hopefully won't need the fan speed to be so high, so I'm hoping it will be quieter)

360 does have better games now. But I really can't justify buying a $400 console knowing there is a very good chance it will break down in the next couple of years. (Wife would say, "WTF??? didn't you just buy that thing??)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited September 2007
    You know what? FUCK the PS3!

This page has been far too one-sided so far.

Rehab on
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Doesn't ANYone else think Mass Effect looks REALLY boring besides me?

The thing about the PS3 is it was released early with sony having no intention of gaining immediate, huge marketshare. They still release new games for PS2 WEEKLY(how much support does original xbox have these days?). So look at the life cycle of the ps2 compared to xbox. So people get bummed that a lot of games are not slated until 2008. I consider myself an early-adopter and am in no way worried of the PS3's success. At the moment there are already more games than I could spend time on. For people who spend 8-10 hrs a day gaming they need more. I would really rather not have more than one console so I am perfectly happy now and think I will be in the long run. I try not to bash the 360, but I don't think it has much longevity. I think microsoft scrambled to get something to market early, and it really worked for them this year, despite tremendous hardware failure and constant revisions/updates. People who purchased the Xbox 360 also likely would rather not have 2 consoles, so they would really just like to see the PS3 go away. They don't WANT to want it, therefore they have clouded judgement. If you do not actually own a PS3, you cannot say it is bad. No matter how much you read. Bashing the PS3 is the 'in' thing to do. Sony deserves that because of their marketing blunders. But don't take the majority of internet poster's opinions as fact. The PS3 is a really great platform and I look forward to many, many years of entertainment on it.

I'd have to say that Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is #1 on my anticipation list. Just my type of game. Then Ratchet and Clank is a continuation of my all-time favorite platforming franchise. Also really looking forward to what Sucker Punch comes up with. I'm ignorant... are there even franchises in the Xbox camp that can match the gameplay quality of the games from Naughty Dog/Sucker Punch/Insomniac? I just don't see games like this when I look at lists of 360 games.

Downloadables I'm playing now:
    Piyotama
    Super StarDust HD
    Gripshift
    Calling All Cars(soon to be ported to psp)
    Nucleus
    Tekken 5
    Super Rub-a-Dub
    Gran Turismo HD (with logitech wheel)
    Blast Factor

coming soon:
    Pixeljunk Racers

These games do not score 9.8 on metacritic. So what, they are fun.

I am also excited about more and more integration between the PSP and the PS3. I played Lair on my PSP and although not the most stellar game in the world it really showed tremendous potential for cross-platform integration.

robcat09 on
    edited September 2007
    Pfft. You think you can trust all these guys without avatars or signatures to help you make a decision??

And DarkWarrior? Can you trust a man that is Dark and Warriorish? You can't. So don't!
    Kidding, guys. Chill out!

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    Pfft. You think you can trust all these guys without avatars or signatures to help you make a decision??

And DarkWarrior? Can you trust a man that is Dark and Warriorish? You can't. So don't!

I thought that said Dark and Whorish. I thought maybe you got me for a moment there. That we had finally synched. Finally....not alone...

But you didn't. Oh well.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2007

I thought that said Dark and Whorish. I thought maybe you got me for a moment there. That we had finally synched. Finally....not alone...

But you didn't. Oh well.

Don't hurt me. :(

urahonky on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »
    Doesn't ANYone else think Mass Effect looks REALLY boring besides me?

The thing about the PS3 is it was released early with sony having no intention of gaining immediate, huge marketshare. They still release new games for PS2 WEEKLY(how much support does original xbox have these days?). So look at the life cycle of the ps2 compared to xbox. So people get bummed that a lot of games are not slated until 2008. I consider myself an early-adopter and am in no way worried of the PS3's success. At the moment there are already more games than I could spend time on. For people who spend 8-10 hrs a day gaming they need more. I would really rather not have more than one console so I am perfectly happy now and think I will be in the long run. I try not to bash the 360, but I don't think it has much longevity. I think microsoft scrambled to get something to market early, and it really worked for them this year, despite tremendous hardware failure and constant revisions/updates. People who purchased the Xbox 360 also likely would rather not have 2 consoles, so they would really just like to see the PS3 go away. They don't WANT to want it, therefore they have clouded judgement. If you do not actually own a PS3, you cannot say it is bad. No matter how much you read. Bashing the PS3 is the 'in' thing to do. Sony deserves that because of their marketing blunders. But don't take the majority of internet poster's opinions as fact. The PS3 is a really great platform and I look forward to many, many years of entertainment on it.

The PS3 was released with no intention of gaining huge marketshare? Wow. Just... wow. The things people tell themselves to justify their purchases. The PS3 was ALWAYS released with the intention of gaining a huge marketshare. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know the market.

Honestly, the PS3 isn't a bad machine, on the contrary, it's a damn good machine. It's also absurdly expensive, which is driving away both customers (gaming machines need the casual market to survive) and developers (many of whom are already cutting their PS3 development). The ill will against Sony comes not from jealousy, but the fact that the company was so arrogant as to believe that most people would accept a $600 price tag for a game machine.

Don't get me wrong, the 360 was launched for too high a price too. That's why it hasn't yet inherited the monster sales the PS2 got.

On another note, never ever ever EVER buy a system for games that are planned to come out for it in the future. That's just begging for you to be let down. Buy a system for the games that are out now, and I mean that when looking at the 360 AND PS3. Buy the system with games that appeal to you.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the people who say PS3 is because they don't have a 360...

Or they are one of those poeple who spent 5K on it by buying it on Ebay...

Get a 360. It would be unwise to chose something else.

Unless you prefer PC gaming, but you'll still be missing out.

Honestly, if you don't buy a 360 because you have a PC, that's fine. It's not my opinion, but whatever. but in that case Just keep your money though, don't go buying the PS3. Buy yourself a nice Videocard or something.

Just... for now, as a fellow human being, I must tell you NOT to spend money on a PS3. You want FF13 that badly, then wait till it comes out.

Evil_Pig on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2007
    For all the prople touting the PSN downloadable games... you should really take a peek at Live Arcade one of these days.

The amount of awesome games available over that service takes PSN behind the woodshed and shoots it dead.

Also, if you happen to like Sports games, the 360 versions of ALL EA titles are flat out superior to the PS3 versions, for many reasons including double the locked framerate on the 360.

So yeah, there are a great many multiplatform games coming out this holiday. One system costs anywhere from 50-220 dollars less than the competition to play these games, which look as good or better than the more expensive choice.

There is two to three times the userbase on the 360, and it is more or less matching the PS3 on combined international sales month after month, despite being a joke in Japan. This means that if trends such as thins continue (which with tactical pricedrops from the Microsoft camp I see no reason why it shouldn't), the PS3 has a very difficult road ahead of itself to usurp the dominant spot from Microsoft, who in turn will enjoy a comfortable 2nd place to the Wii before the end of this generation.

What this all means is that the console sitting at the back of the bus has to rely on its own studios more than the one with the larger userbase, who generally gets the strongest support from 3rd parties. This isn't a TERRIBLE thing for Sony, who can rely on Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Daxter, Warhawk, Little Big Planet, Whatever Ueda chooses to do next (Maker of Ico and Shadow of the Collossus), etc. etc... but it DOES mean that exclusive 3rd party support will more likely show up on the Wii, with the 360 somewhat less likely to see it and the PS3 seeing almost none of it without big payouts to the developers to sweeten the deal.

I would say that you should look at what Sony produced from their 1st and 2nd party studios last generation (which by no means sucked), and decide if that would be good enough to justify the system for you. If it is, then go witht he ps3. Otherwise, the 360 makes a TON more sense.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The PS3 was released with no intention of gaining huge marketshare? Wow. Just... wow. The things people tell themselves to justify their purchases.

You left out the word "immediate" though.
    Evil_Pig wrote: »
    Just... for now, as a fellow human being, I must tell you NOT to spend money on a PS3.

I don't think you need to take a moral stance here. We're talking about consoles for christsakes.

Rehab on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I see 4 on that list that I'd guaranteed buy, none of which will show up on the PS3 (so far), and any that will show up on the PC will be at a much later date. I see 5 might gets, most of which will wind up being multi platform, the rest I either have no interest in or don't know anything about yet.

Multi platform games should not dictate why you get a system, as they are only there to enhance the line up. The fact that PS3/360 multi platform games look and play almost identical to each other means there is very little reason to pick up one over the other. I expect things to change in this dept as time goes on as each manufacturer will want things included to make their version appear superior to the others, at least in fairly big name titles.

PC versions? Really up to the individual, if you don't have a pc up to snuff to play any of these games well, or don't like gaming on a PC, then the console version are the only ones that will matter, saying it's on the PC hardly detracts from the lineup, just like saying it is multi platform doesn't negate the fact that the game is on either system.

The PS3 current lineup is mediocre at best, it's upcoming lineup in the next few months is pretty good. It's long term lineup has a few big hitters with other things being understandably up in the air as it's just too far away.

The 360's current line up is pretty good, it's short term upcoming lineup is very good. The long term line up is in the same boat as the ps3, some heavy hitters, some expected sequels, etc, then the rest is just too far off to assume.

The vast majority of the people that own a 360 have no issues with them at all. It will perform exactly how it was meant to, and aside from an occasional odd glitch here and there that any consumer electronic is prone to, it will continue to do so for many years.
    The PS3 will do the same, as will the Wii.

This is all the same arguments many people who staunchly defended the Gamecube and original xbox would bring up when bashing the PS2. The ps2 had the irrefutable better library for the general gamers tastes, yet people would continually deride it over how much better the Xbox or Gamecube looked, how the PS2 was less powerful and cheap, etc.

Only now, it's the PS3 in the same place as the Gamecube and the Xbox were.

Based on the current numbers, and the current line up of games, unless you are REALLY looking forward to a specific title on the PS3 enough to warrant a purchase, or have enough to get all the consoles, it's just many peoples last recommendation for a console.

It does almost everything the PS3 can do, it looks as good as the PS3, and probably will for awhile, and it simply costs less to break into getting one.
    All that and it has more/better games along with BC that is just as good as the forthcoming PS3's without the EE chip.

I will undoubtedly get a PS3 at some point when it's cheaper because I know it will have games I want... it just will not for awhile yet.

EclecticGroove on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The PS3 was released with no intention of gaining huge marketshare? Wow. Just... wow. The things people tell themselves to justify their purchases.

You left out the word "immediate" though.

That's still a pretty wacky assertion, considering all the bluster about "next-gen doesn't start till we say it does," their high launch shipping estimates, etc.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "old" games on the 360 are a pretty big selling point now... I really liked renting stuff like Call of Juarez

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited September 2007
    Evil_Pig wrote: »
    I think the people who say PS3 is because they don't have a 360...

Or they are one of those poeple who spent 5K on it by buying it on Ebay...

Get a 360. It would be unwise to chose something else.

Unless you prefer PC gaming, but you'll still be missing out.

Honestly, if you don't buy a 360 because you have a PC, that's fine. It's not my opinion, but whatever. but in that case Just keep your money though, don't go buying the PS3. Buy yourself a nice Videocard or something.

Just... for now, as a fellow human being, I must tell you NOT to spend money on a PS3. You want FF13 that badly, then wait till it comes out.

I had a 360. I got Dead Rising. Played it for my love of Zombie films which just barely outweighed the annoyance of timed missions.

Loved Dead Rising for the most part.

Played Gears of War. Was fun but not great.

Took 360 back.

Got a PS3.

Sits there when I'm not playing Resistance or Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

I still don't regret getting rid of the 360. Except for Mass Effect. A game released nearly 10 months after I got rid of the 360 and which may or may not be great going off the KOTOR series.

So owning a 360 doesn't mean it automatically has you in a cock-lock.

DarkWarrior on