As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Videogame Monologues for Actors

SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Just out of curiousity, is anyone on this board an actor?

I was telling a friend of mine a story the other day, about how I once tried to audition for a role using a monologue from the game "Marathon." I wasn't really serious about getting the part, but I just thought it would be interesting to see how it would go over.

For those who don't know what a monologue is, it's basically a 1-2 piece from a piece of dramatic text, usually a play. If the piece is two long, or of more than one person is talking, then you cut the text down accordingly. The monologue doesn't have to convey the story, but it should be able to convey a strong character motivation.

Anyway, I just thought that it might be fun to gather a list together of game monologues that fit this description. I'll start:
I would shoot this terminal right now, if I thought that
it would reach that damn AI. I might do it anyway, but
ammunition is short. I've run out of ammo for my assault
rifle, and the only flamethrower we had was lost when an
elevator failed to function, and squad two was cut off.
I understand that the aliens are taking prisoners. I'll
hand it to them, they are better fighters that us. But
I'll be damned if I'm going to be taken prisoner, my last
bullet is for me.

I've got a minute or two to rest, so I'm going to wax
philosophical. I can't say any of this to the men because
I don't want them to know how hopeless I think our fighting
is. If I thought that we'd be safe if we surrendered, then
that is what I would do.

Marathon: The Lost Network Packets.
"I hear her voice, Eleanor's voice. Begging me... not to hate you. That's why I didn't hunt you down. You still want to hear 'why'? All right. I'll tell you. I want to destroy everything. The people of this city, this city itself. The whole world... I got nothing left in this world. Corel, Eleanor, Marlene...... Think about it, Barret, how old was Marlene back then? Even if I did go to her now, she wouldn't even know me! And what's more? These hands are a little too stained... to carry Marlene anymore."

Dyne from FFVII. I did it in a Southern accent, ala John Wilks Booth from "Assassins."

Anyone else?

Schrodinger on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What a terrible night to have a curse.

How deep, Simon, how very deep.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Liquid's Monologue about the le Efent Terriblu project? Or maybe Baker's thing about Nuclear weapons surplus and MUF.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Most of Psychonaughts, and anything that Andrew Ryan says in Bioshock.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Life isn't just about passing on your genes. We can leave behind much more than just DNA. Through speech, music, literature and movies...what we've seen, heard, felt...anger, joy and sorrow...these are the things I will pass on. That's what I live for.

We need to pass the torch, and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light. We have all the magic of the digital age to do that with. The human race will probably come to an end some time, and new species may rule over this planet. Earth may not be forever, but we still have the responsibility to leave what traces of life we can. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Liquid's Monologue about the le Efent Terriblu project? Or maybe Baker's thing about Nuclear weapons surplus and MUF.

Les enfants terribles?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

Les enfants terribles?

Correct.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Saddler's monologue in RE4 right after you "rescue" Ashley for the first time.
    More or less:
    This is my evil plan in detail that depends on you not knowing you are infected with this parasite... of which you are very much infected with by the way, and also I need you alive... NOW DIE!

Okay so it's more comedic, but I gained so much respect for that voice actor (Michael Gough). How he was able to get through it without just breaking down in uncontrollable laughter, I do not know.

Davor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually, Kreia in KOTOR 2 has some really good monologues too.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Davor wrote: »
    Saddler's monologue in RE4 right after you "rescue" Ashley for the first time.
    More or less:
    This is my evil plan in detail that depends on you not knowing you are infected with this parasite... of which you are very much infected with by the way, and also I need you alive... NOW DIE!

The way you put that, incidentally, reminded me of Kung Pow.

"What is the Evil Council's plan?"
    "Man, it is so evil. It is a bad, bad plan that will hurt many people...that are good. I think it's great, because it's so bad!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Eternal Darkness is full of some fantastic ones.

Eternal Darkness Cutscene Guide

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I kinda like Breen's monologues from Half-Life 2. Particularly:
    Let me read a letter I recently received. 'Dear Dr. Breen. Why has the Combine seen fit to suppress our reproductive cycle? Sincerely, A Concerned Citizen.'

Thank you for writing, Concerned. Of course your question touches on one of the basic biological impulses, with all its associated hopes and fears for the future of the species. I also detect some unspoken questions. Do our benefactors really know what's best for us? What gives them the right to make this kind of decision for mankind? Will they ever deactivate the suppression field and let us breed again?

Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced. First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, immortality is in our reach. This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of our genetic imperatives. It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our neural pre-sets.

I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct. Instinct was our mother when we were an infant species. Instinct coddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we hardened our sticks and cooked our first meals above a meager fire and started at the shadows that leapt upon the cavern's walls. But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition. Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our species. Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Instinct, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of human urges: The urge to reproduce.

We should thank our benefactors for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have thrown a switch and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars.

Let me assure you that the suppressing field will be shut off on the day that we have mastered ourselves...the day we can prove we no longer need it. And that day of transformation, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are around 24,328,645,274 great monologues in Bioshock that would be perfect for this thread.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    There are around 24,328,645,274 great monologues in Bioshock that would be perfect for this thread.

Like I said, anything Andrew Ryan says.

Especially....
    The big "reveal."

switzky21 on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What a terrible night to have a curse.

How deep, Simon, how very deep.
    On that note:

"Perhaps the same could be said of ALL religions."

Non-Sequitur of Darkness!

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jon Irenicus had one or two nice lines.
    I... I do not remember your love, Ellesime. I have tried to. I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory. But it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing. The Seldarine took that from me, too. I look upon you and I feel nothing. I remember nothing but you turning your back on me, along with all the others. Once my thirst for power was everything. And now I hunger only for revenge. And... I... Will... HAVE IT!!

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Life isn't just about passing on your genes. We can leave behind much more than just DNA. Through speech, music, literature and movies...what we've seen, heard, felt...anger, joy and sorrow...these are the things I will pass on. That's what I live for.

We need to pass the torch, and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light. We have all the magic of the digital age to do that with. The human race will probably come to an end some time, and new species may rule over this planet. Earth may not be forever, but we still have the responsibility to leave what traces of life we can. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.

/vomit

And on-topic, in Neverwinter Nights 2, when your Dwarf Warrior (or Monk) learns the true meaning of punching people: Punching people for a reason! So good, so touching, and yet so hilarious.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shadow Hearts Covenant: Yuri
    [upon seeing Andre] That is one giant pussy!

This game has tons of really good dialogue.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bioshock spoilaz:
    "Even in a book of lies you sometimes find truth. There is indeed a season for all things, and now that I see you flesh to flesh, blood to blood, I know I cannot raise my hand against you. But know this, you are my greatest disappointment. Does your master hear me? Atlas! You can kill me, but you can never have my city! My strength is not in steel or fire, that is what the parasites will never understand. A season for all things, a time to live, and a time to die. A time to build, and a time to destroy! Come now my child, there is one last thing to discuss." - Andrew Ryan

He gets so angry during this speech, it's a really powerful moment. You're tearing apart everything in the city and Ryan is screaming at you, telling you that it's not doing any good.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Jon Irenicus had one or two nice lines.

I love his line that goes something like "Silence, vermin! You were born for the sole purpose of dying today!" Anyone remember the exact one?

Echo on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Silence, dog. Your only purpose is to die by my hand.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bioshock spoilaz:
    "Even in a book of lies you sometimes find truth. There is indeed a season for all things, and now that I see you flesh to flesh, blood to blood, I know I cannot raise my hand against you. But know this, you are my greatest disappointment. Does your master hear me? Atlas! You can kill me, but you can never have my city! My strength is not in steel or fire, that is what the parasites will never understand. A season for all things, a time to live, and a time to die. A time to build, and a time to destroy! Come now my child, there is one last thing to discuss." - Andrew Ryan

He gets so angry during this speech, it's a really powerful moment. You're tearing apart everything in the city and Ryan is screaming at you, telling you that it's not doing any good.
    Yes! That and his
    final speech directly to you, the big "a man CHOOSE" reveal
    are quite excellent and dramatically read. They'd make for great monologues for an actor.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Metal Gear?!

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The talking sword from BG was pretty cool too:

You know, my last owner always said I was sharp and edgy. He was such an ass.

You know I am an intelligent sword, although I had no formal edumacation.

Bigity on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    switzky21 wrote: »
    Actually, Kreia in KOTOR 2 has some really good monologues too.

It is a terrible thing to fall, but all the greater is to admit it.

Tube on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LoK: Soul Reaver opening...
    Raziel:
    Kain is deified. The Clans tell tales of Him. Few know the truth. He was mortal once, as were we all. However, His contempt for humanity drove him to create me, and my brethren.

I am Raziel, first-born of His lieutenants. I stood with Kain and my brethren at the dawn of the empire. I have served Him a millennium. Over time, we became less human and more ...divine. Kain would enter the state of change and emerge with a new gift. Some years after the master, our evolution would follow. Until I had the honor of surpassing my lord. For my transgression, I earned a new kind of reward... agony.

There was only one possible outcome - my eternal damnation. I, Raziel, was to suffer the fate of traitors and weaklings - to burn forever in the bowels of the Lake of the Dead.
    Raziel:
    Tumbling, burning with white-hot fire, I plunged into the depths of the abyss. Unspeakable pain... relentless agony... ... time ceased to exist... ... only this torture... and a deepening hatred of the hypocrisy that damned me to this hell.

An eternity passed, and my torment receded, bringing me back from the precipice of madness. The descent had destroyed me... and yet I lived.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everyone kind of olol'ed at the Uncanny Valley of it all, but I remember being really struck by the emotion of the Heavy Rain PS3 tech demo that made the rounds a number of months ago. Ironically, it's set up as a monologue for an actor trying out for a role. I don't know if the monologue is taken from somewhere else, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Planescape: Torment quote from Vhailor. Technically, it is a dialog since the character is talking to another character, but alone, it works equally well as a monologue:
    When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it. None may stand against it. It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence. Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them. It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods. Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Oh and...
    Angel177 wrote:
    *Soul Reaver quote

thank you for reminding me just how awesome the writing in the Legacy of Kain games are. Purple prose without being too purply...

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You are now entering...the Junpei Zone.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think that in Bioshock, Xander Cohen's The Wild Bunny and Andrew Ryan's opening monologue are both worthy of legendary status in this regard.

Also, the opening monologue to Silent Hill 2, just about any lengthy monologue from The Boss in MGS3. Also, as long as it's clear that's it's supposed to be cheesy and over-the top deadpan, the vast majority of the voice-over from Max Payne.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The things that I want, by Max Payne. A smoke. A whisky. For the sun to shine. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill. Right then, more than anything, I wanted her.

reVerse on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darksteel wrote: »
    Planescape: Torment quote from Vhailor. Technically, it is a dialog since the character is talking to another character, but alone, it works equally well as a monologue:
    When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it. None may stand against it. It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence. Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them. It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods. Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

I disagree that it works equally well as it does as a dialog.

TNO: I see.

Vhailor: No, you do NOT see. Pray you NEVER will.

jothki on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fellow Terrans, I come to you in the wake of recent events to issue a call to reason. Let no human deny the perils of our time. While we battle one another, divided by the petty strife of our common history, the tide of a greater conflict is turning against us, threatening to destroy all that we have accomplished. It is time for us as nations and as individuals to set aside our long-standing feuds and unite. The tides of an unwinnable war are upon us, and we must seek refuge on higher ground, lest we be swept away by the flood.

The Confederacy is no more. Whatever semblance of unity and protection it once provided is a phantom; a memory. With our enemies left unchecked, who will you turn to for protection? The devastation wrought by the alien invaders is self-evident. We have seen our homes and communities destroyed by the calculated blows of the Protoss. We have seen first-hand our friends and loved ones consumed by the nightmarish Zerg. Unprecedented and unimaginable though they may be, these are the signs of our time.

The time has come my fellow Terrans, to rally to a new banner. In unity lies strength; already many of the dissident factions have joined us. Out of the many, we shall forge an indivisible whole, capitulating only to a single throne. And from that throne, I shall watch over you!

From this day forward, let no human make war on any other human. Let no Terran agency conspire against this new beginning. And let no man consort with alien powers. And to all the enemies of humanity, seek not to bar our way, for we shall win through, no matter the cost!

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Vake XeaconsVake Xeacons Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Legacy of Kain series is downright Shakespearian (done by the same director and script writer as Eternal Darkness, and many of the same actors). Personally, I've also loved Atrus's Myst monologues. But my all-time favorite would be Dr. Kliener's "message of hope" from Half-life 2 ep.1!

Vake Xeacons on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you're auditioning for a Shakespeare play, you can't go wrong with the Great Duku Tree's dying monologue, cause it has all those "thou arts". That's sure to impress ANY casting director or drama teacher. ;-)

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    Planescape: Torment quote from Vhailor. Technically, it is a dialog since the character is talking to another character, but alone, it works decently enough as a monologue:

I disagree that it works equally well as it does as a dialog.

TNO: I see.

Vhailor: No, you do NOT see. Pray you NEVER will.

Okay fine, I agree. The dialog does add that extra...I dunno...gravitas to the proceedings.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    plufim wrote: »

Glad somebody suggested this. Specifically, Max's finale is good for melodrama:

(MAXIMILLIAN stands over the dead body of the slain Guardian, examining
    it for signs of life)

MAX (voiceover): The accursed beast was dead, but not without its toll
    on me. That was but one, and there was an entire city of them. I
    could not hope to fight them all alone. I knew I had to get help...

(MAX staggers up the stairs back to the mansion.)

(Cut to MAX in the secret study, studying the Tome.)

MAX (voiceover): I knew there was a way. I just had to find it...

(Three months later. A filthy padded wall. A pan down reveals the
    room's occupant, MAXIMILLIAN, a prisoner of an asylum, looking dirty,
    and tied up in a straight jacket.)

MAX (raving): I tried... I tried to tell them... But they wouldn't
    listen to me... Damn them... DAMN THEIR EYES!! They didn't believe
    me.... Strange creatures... The world in peril from unseen foes...
    The death... THE DARKNESS!!!

(MAX slides down the wall and sits)

MAX (feverishly): Instead they jeered and threw me into this forsaken
    place... A place of empty souls and fevered thoughts... reeking of
    foetor and decay! Thinking me mad with delirium! (chuckle) The fools
    cast away their hopes of salvation by locking me in this damned asylum!!

(MAX stands, walks up to the barred door, and slams his shoulder
    against it.)

MAX (screaming): MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES!! I am now lost to your
    cause!! (sobbing) The Darkness comes!! It will damn us all!!

(still picture, the Tome closes)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »

Glad somebody suggested this. Specifically, Max's finale is good for melodrama:

(MAXIMILLIAN stands over the dead body of the slain Guardian, examining
    it for signs of life)

MAX (voiceover): The accursed beast was dead, but not without its toll
    on me. That was but one, and there was an entire city of them. I
    could not hope to fight them all alone. I knew I had to get help...

(MAX staggers up the stairs back to the mansion.)

(Cut to MAX in the secret study, studying the Tome.)

MAX (voiceover): I knew there was a way. I just had to find it...

(Three months later. A filthy padded wall. A pan down reveals the
    room's occupant, MAXIMILLIAN, a prisoner of an asylum, looking dirty,
    and tied up in a straight jacket.)

MAX (raving): I tried... I tried to tell them... But they wouldn't
    listen to me... Damn them... DAMN THEIR EYES!! They didn't believe
    me.... Strange creatures... The world in peril from unseen foes...
    The death... THE DARKNESS!!!

(MAX slides down the wall and sits)

MAX (feverishly): Instead they jeered and threw me into this forsaken
    place... A place of empty souls and fevered thoughts... reeking of
    foetor and decay! Thinking me mad with delirium! (chuckle) The fools
    cast away their hopes of salvation by locking me in this damned asylum!!

(MAX stands, walks up to the barred door, and slams his shoulder
    against it.)

MAX (screaming): MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES!! I am now lost to your
    cause!! (sobbing) The Darkness comes!! It will damn us all!!

(still picture, the Tome closes)
    Everybody's such a big fan of Max's ranting.

Personally, I found Pious's conversations with the Ancients so much more amusing.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pious! <3

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2007
    What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bigity wrote: »
    The talking sword from BG was pretty cool too:

You know, my last owner always said I was sharp and edgy. He was such an ass.

You know I am an intelligent sword, although I had no formal edumacation.

Everything irenicus said ever. Moreso than andrew ryan in my opinion.

Mage 1: You two! The prisoner from the lower levels! Hes escaped!

Mage 2: What??? How...

Mage 1: Oh... oh gods... he comes! HES HERE!

*Irenicus Teleports into the room, and all begin casting spells*

Irenicus: "I cannot be caged... *Kills mage 1*

Irenicus: "I cannot be controlled... *Kills mage 2*

Irenicus: "Know this even as you die... ever pathetic... ever fools." *Releases a massive spell blowing mage 3 into 50 peices*

CanisAquilus on