As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Videogame Monologues for Actors

2»

• ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fallout 1 intro
    War. War never changes. The romans waged wart to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from it's lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic super power. But war never changes. In the 21st century, war was still waged over the resources that could be acquired. Only this time, the spoils of war were also it's weapons. Petroleum, and uranium. For these resources, China would invade Alaska, the US would annex Canada, and the European Commonwealth would dissolve into bickering, quarreling nation-states bent on controlling the last remaining resources on earth.

In 2077, the storm of World War had come again. In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders. And from the ashes of nuclear devastation, a new civilization would struggle to arise. A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground Vaults. Your family was part of that group that entered Vault 13. Imprisoned safely behind a large vault door, under a mountain of stone, a generation has lived without knowledge of the outside world.

Life in the Vault is about to change.
    Fallout 2 intro
    War. War never changes. The end of the world occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.

The earth was nearly wiped clean of human life. A great cleansing, an atomic spark struck by human hands, quickly raged out of control. Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies. Continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans. Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth.

A quiet darkness fell across the planet, lasting many years. Few survived the devastation. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in great underground vaults. When the great darkness passed, these vaults opened, and their inhabitants emerged to begin their lives again.

One of the northern tribes claims they are descended from one such Vault. They hold that their founder and ancestor, one known as the “Vault Dweller,” once saved the world from a great evil. According to their legend, this evil arose in the far south. It corrupted all it touched, twisting men inside, turning them into beasts. Only through the bravery of this Vault Dweller was the evil destroyed. But in so doing, he lost many of his friends and suffered greatly, sacrificing much of himself to save the world.

When at last he returned to the home he had fought so hard to protect, he was cast out. Exiled. In confronting that which they feared, he had become something else in their eyes…and no longer their champion.

Forsaken by his people, he strode into the wasteland. He traveled far to the north, until he came to the great canyons. There, he founded a small village, Arroyo, where he lived out the rest of his years. And so, for a generation since its founding, Arroyo has lived in peace, its canyons sheltering it from the outside world. It is home. Your home.

But the scars left by the war have not yet healed. And the Earth has not forgotten.

Thrack on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anything from the Diablo II cinematics.

"My brothers, at long last we stand reunited, the infernal gate has been prepared and the time of our final victory is at hand! Let the way to Hell be opened! And the Evil that was once vanquished shall rise anew! Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent, and terror shall consume they that dwell upon the earth! The sky shall rain fire, and the seas will become as blood! The righteous shall fall before the wicked, and all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!

The gate stands ready! Now, my young brother, the time has come to assume your true form!

Arise, Diablo, Lord of Terror! You are the harbinger of our return, Diablo. Send forth your terror into Hell!"

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    2 from Planescape
    They do not possess the true fire. They speak of creation and they boast of their potential but they do not create anything beyond the mundane. Their imagination is poor, obsessed with the small details. A true Dreamer, I say, creates a grand scheme and then concentrates on the details. Starting with the details is for the ants of the imagination - the small insects who aspire only to be fed.

HUGE SPOILERS
    If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

also, not really a monologue, but good nonetheless
    (on the opening of the Bronze Sphere) The sphere wrinkles in your hands, the skin of the sphere peeling away into tears and turning into a rain of bronze that encircles you. Each droplet, each fragment that enters you, you feel a new memory stirring, a lost love, a forgotten pain, an ache of loss - and with it, comes the great pressure of regret, regret of careless actions, the regret of suffering, regret of war, regret of death, and you feel your mind begin buckling from the pressure - so MUCH, all at once, so much damage done to others... so much so an entire FORTRESS may be built from such pain. And suddenly, through the torrent of regrets, you feel the first incarnation again. His hand, invisible and weightless, is upon your shoulder, steadying you. He doesn't speak, but with his touch, you suddenly remember your name. ...and it is such a simple thing, not at all what you thought it might be, and you feel yourself suddenly comforted. In knowing your name, your true name, you know that you have gained back perhaps the most important part of yourself. In knowing your name, you know yourself, and you know, now, there is very little you cannot do.

PiptheFair on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "War. War never changes." That's such a great opening line for anything.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Definitely the final monologue of Andrew Ryan's.
    But you would need to do it while holding a golf club to complete the effect.

Dark_Side on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bioshock - Recording of Martin Finnegan - The Iceman Cometh
    You think you gonna finish me in here, you old fruit? The other saps you tossed in this meat locker all panicked like rabbits. I just watched and waited. And when they started to kick, I started to scavenge. Made myself a little splicer cocktail I did. If you can't come in from the cold, then you gotta grow ice over your heart. And the iceman cometh, Sander baby. The iceman fucking cometh.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    switzky21 wrote: »
    Most of Psychonaughts, and anything that Andrew Ryan says in Bioshock.

"You were born with a special gift. But the people around you treat it like a curse. Your mother is afraid of you, and your father looks at you with shame in his eyes. Come to Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp, and you can show them all! Back home, your powers make you a loner, an outcast, a circus freak. But in this dojo--in this psychic dojo--they make you... a hero."

- Raz, Psychonauts

"Being a collection of the indignities suffered by Minister Sheng at the hands of the backward shanty town of Tien's Landing:
    His hat has been soiled;
    A parchment was stolen from him before a speech at a community gathering;
    His cat was viciously threatened;
    A chair at his table was placed backward;
    His finger was slammed in a door, not once, but thrice;
    An egg was thrown at him by an unknown assailant;
    His cart was stolen, filled with soiled garments, and then returned;
    His face was ridiculed by young children;
    His prized tonberry was squashed;
    It was suggested that he perform acts of deliberate indecency upon himself;
    He was forced to suffer the interminable and petty gripes of the people;
    His hair was accused of being impermanent and false;
    The honor of his family was impugned;
    He suffered a disabling attack by a pack of bees;
    His reputation was maligned by brigands. Brigands!
    A local dog evacuated in the Minister's shoe;
    He was given a gift of turtle eggs by a visiting merchant;
    It was suggested that he would be able to trace his lineage to a simple courtesan;
    He was referred to as "smelly";
    He slipped in mud, no doubt placed in his path by jealous townsfolk;
    Sailors burned down his office."

- Minister Sheng's bodyguard, Jade Empire

"Oh, yes. My master had quite the collection of tortured individuals that seemed unable to confront their basic personality conflicts. Let me cite some specific examples: (in Carth's voice) 'Oh, master, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you or anyone ever again!'...(in Bastila's voice) 'Oh, master, I love you but I hate all you stand for, but I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!' Such pheromone-driven human responses never cease to decrease the charge in my capacitors and make me wish I could press a blaster pistol to my behavior core and pull the trigger. I am pleased that this does not seem to be the case with your current entourage."

- HK-47, KOTOR 2

"Behold the light that spreads before your eyes. This light once symbolized civilization – the very will of the human race. But what can be gleaned from the light we see today? The people of this world have cast away their will to create, drowning themselves instead in an endless cycle of consumption… What you see now is the deceitful light cast by their stagnant eyes. The people you've encountered in your lifetime are not people at all. They're less than human – mere sacks of flesh and bone. Only upon the realization of self-will, can a person truly be called a man. You chose to reject the false light, refused to succumb to their lies… That's why you never faltered, even after all the personality reconditioning. Long ago, man was forced to leave behind his homeland. This was brought about by the masses who extinguished the very light that drove their will. So how about it, Cherenkov? Let us rekindle the torch so that human consciousness may once again be resurrected. For our sake. And that of our god."

- Margulis, Xenosaga

BubbaT on
  • ubeyubey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I should've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: asphalt, and trouble.

ubey on
  • Breyker4711Breyker4711 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Davor wrote: »
    Saddler's monologue in RE4 right after you "rescue" Ashley for the first time.
    More or less:
    This is my evil plan in detail that depends on you not knowing you are infected with this parasite... of which you are very much infected with by the way, and also I need you alive... NOW DIE!

The way you put that, incidentally, reminded me of Kung Pow.

"What is the Evil Council's plan?"
    "Man, it is so evil. It is a bad, bad plan that will hurt many people...that are good. I think it's great, because it's so bad!"

Oh Taco Bell, Taco Bell, product placement for Taco Bell...Enchirrito, Nacho, Burrito

Breyker4711 on
    I don't have to take this abuse from you, I have hundreds of people dying to abuse me
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ubey wrote: »
    Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I should've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: asphalt, and trouble.
    <3
    Such a great game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We broke it. Yes, we were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and us, it felt quite good.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the G-Man's opening speech from Half-Life 2? That, or i'm trying to remember what Breen's shouting at you at the end of the game.

OOH, or the G-Man's closing speech.
    i'll spoiler it, in case someone still hasn't completed it. Jerk.
    Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again? It seems as if you only just arrived. You've done a great deal in a small time span. You've done so well, in fact, that I've received some interesting offers for your services. Ordinarily, I wouldn't contemplate them... but these *are* extraordinary times. Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    * "Doctor Freeman, you really shouldn't be out there. At the moment of synapse as I teleport this chamber will be bathed in deadly particles that have yet to be named by human science. Perhaps when I have the leisure to do the work myself, I'll name one of them after you; that way you won't be completely forgotten. When the singularity collapses, I will be far away from here - in another universe, as a matter of fact. You on the other hand will be destroyed in every way it is possible to be destroyed, and even in some, which are essentially impossible!"

EDIT: also

So, this is Dr. Freeman... at last. I wish I could say this was a pleasant surprise, but it's neither a surprise nor, as you will surely agree, very pleasant. Well, I'm nothing if not pragmatic.

Well, Dr. Freeman, under other circumstances I like to think we might have been able to work together in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. Certainly judging from your brief tenure at Black Mesa, while I was it's administrator, you showed every promise of becoming a valuable and productive contributor to the scientific process. And yet, I'm not sure what spurred you to it, but there is really no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist.

Your mentors are partly to blame, of course; my disappointment in Eli Vance and Isaac Kleiner is far greater than my sorrow over your unfortunate choice of career path. In a way I suppose you could not have done otherwise. Who knows what seeds of iconoclasm they planted when you were young and gullible? But while they certainly share a great part of the responsibility, for the recent troubles, it is you alone who have chosen to act with such willful disregard for humanity's future.

Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing? ... I thought not.

I have laid the foundation for humanity's survival, and not as we have narrowly defined ourselves but as something greater than we could ever imagine, something that we can now only begin to glimpse.

Look, Gordon, look at what you are throwing away. Is it worth it?

PiptheFair on
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    switzky21 wrote: »
    Actually, Kreia in KOTOR 2 has some really good monologues too.

It is a terrible thing to fall, but all the greater is to admit it.

Kreia had some of the best lines I've seen in gaming IMO, also Bioshock needs to mentioned again, because it can't be mentioned enough.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Planescape: Torment.
    Far too many sections to pick one.

Xagarath on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    * "Doctor Freeman, you really shouldn't be out there. At the moment of synapse as I teleport this chamber will be bathed in deadly particles that have yet to be named by human science. Perhaps when I have the leisure to do the work myself, I'll name one of them after you; that way you won't be completely forgotten. When the singularity collapses, I will be far away from here - in another universe, as a matter of fact. You on the other hand will be destroyed in every way it is possible to be destroyed, and even in some, which are essentially impossible!"

EDIT: also

So, this is Dr. Freeman... at last. I wish I could say this was a pleasant surprise, but it's neither a surprise nor, as you will surely agree, very pleasant. Well, I'm nothing if not pragmatic.

Well, Dr. Freeman, under other circumstances I like to think we might have been able to work together in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. Certainly judging from your brief tenure at Black Mesa, while I was it's administrator, you showed every promise of becoming a valuable and productive contributor to the scientific process. And yet, I'm not sure what spurred you to it, but there is really no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist.

Your mentors are partly to blame, of course; my disappointment in Eli Vance and Isaac Kleiner is far greater than my sorrow over your unfortunate choice of career path. In a way I suppose you could not have done otherwise. Who knows what seeds of iconoclasm they planted when you were young and gullible? But while they certainly share a great part of the responsibility, for the recent troubles, it is you alone who have chosen to act with such willful disregard for humanity's future.

Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing? ... I thought not.

I have laid the foundation for humanity's survival, and not as we have narrowly defined ourselves but as something greater than we could ever imagine, something that we can now only begin to glimpse.

Look, Gordon, look at what you are throwing away. Is it worth it?

there you go, good work that man

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

Goosebumps, man. But that's not really a monologue.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Strictly speaking... as well, someone who is working to make a living in the acting area and has, well, done professional work before... doing a monologue from anything but a play is not a very good idea.
    Aside from reasons such as you can find better written, deeper characters, stronger changes, more risks to take, an actual scene, etc; it's just not professional and you won't get any real work.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Strictly speaking... as well, someone who is working to make a living in the acting area and has, well, done professional work before... doing a monologue from anything but a play is not a very good idea.
    Aside from reasons such as you can find better written, deeper characters, stronger changes, more risks to take, an actual scene, etc; it's just not professional and you won't get any real work.

Yeah, I'm not much of an actor (More of a playwright.). But one of the classes I took once required that I do at least one audition.

(Edit: For this challenge, I should mention that there are bonus points for games without voice acting, giving you room to present your own interpretation, or if you can come up with a way to perform it that woud be different from the game).

Schrodinger on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm an actor. The only things I could really think about seriously would be Planescape: Torment or maybe Thief... maybe. I'd rather cut off a testicle than go into something from a jrpg or Metal-fucking-Gear.

And yeah, you don't want to go in a do something that isn't a play or maybe a film.

I guess all this has been said but whatevs.

august on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    I'm an actor. The only things I could really think about seriously would be Planescape: Torment or maybe Thief... maybe. I'd rather cut off a testicle than go into something from a jrpg or Metal-fucking-Gear.

And yeah, you don't want to go in a do something that isn't a play or maybe a film.

I guess all this has been said but whatevs.

Why not a scene from The Outsiders?

edit: honestly, most of these are pretty weak outside the context of the game. That first half-life one is pretty decent and builds its own interesting back story without too many outside distractions.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    There are around 24,328,645,274 great monologues in Bioshock that would be perfect for this thread.

That rabbit poem. God I would love to see the look on their faces after he read that.

TVs_Frank on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This reminds me: I have a VO demo recording this weekend: I'd kill to do one of the TF2 ads but there's a lot of reasons not to.

august on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The soldier TF2 ad would be pretty good, I'd say. The Heavy Weapons Guy one relies more on the editing and the engineer one's no good without props, but the soldier one... I think it'd work.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ubey wrote: »

I had this one burned in my memory for months - I watched/listened to the opening to Full Throttle probably close to 20 times when it first came out, since I was having all kinds of audio/video sync problems on whatever machine I was trying to run it on (probably a 486).

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    With bony hands I hold my partner
    On soulless feet we cross the floor
    The music stops as if to answer
    An empty knocking at the door
    It seems his skin was sweet as mango
    When last I held him to my breast
    But now we dance this grim fandango
    And will four years before we rest.

FreddyD on
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Yuri Lowenthal and his fantastic acting in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time,
    The Prince wrote:
    Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this; sit down and I will tell you a tale like none of which you have ever heard

the entire game is filled with his monologues; absolutely top notch narration.

Kriz on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Liquid's Monologue about the le Efent Terriblu project? Or maybe Baker's thing about Nuclear weapons surplus and MUF.

Les enfants terribles?

Correct.

Thank you. My French is horrible seeing as how I never took it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    I think that it's important to make a distinction between "dramatic" and "deep."

Is the monologue going to impress you because of the person saying it, or is the monologue going to impress you due to the person writing it? Does it sound like something you could imagine someone saying on the spot, or is it something perfectly crafted for the ages?

Schrodinger on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Constantine's speech after "The Return to the Cathedral" in Thief: TDP.
    Did you think those ancient phrases were mere words, Manfool? Look at me! *I* am The Woodsie Lord, The Trickster of legend! If you be thirsty, fleshthing, drink of me. If you be hungry, then feed for I am the honeymaker, and the jacksberry!

... My poor Mister Garrett, you will not live to see the sprawling glory of it! Your sacrifice is not yet complete! Mine lilacs and mine thistleaids must feeds, and I? Stands He then in the greens and festered Maw and speeds He out his judgements upon the weeps and writhing manfools!

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Congressman Shrub insisting that the American dream is to "own a duplex and share a yard!" on Vice City Public Radio

Tiemler on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kriz wrote: »
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Yuri Lowenthal and his fantastic acting in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time,
    The Prince wrote:
    Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this; sit down and I will tell you a tale like none of which you have ever heard

the entire game is filled with his monologues; absolutely top notch narration.

Fucking thread winner. I can't believe I didn't think of Sands of Time.

But seriously, if anyone wants to win a role in any audition, go up and give them this little beauty: (Spoilered for spoilering reasons)
    You're small-time.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is a man not entilted to the sweat of his brow?
    NO! says the man in Washington it belongs to the poor.
    NOO! says the man in the Vatican it belongs to GOD!
    NO! says the man in Moscow it belongs to everyone!
    I rejected those answers. Instead I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...RAPTURE! A city where the artist would not fear the censor. Where the scientist would not be bound by..petty morality. And with the sweat of your brow you can make Rapture your city as well.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would have to say Twisted Metal Black had a lot of good stuff. I do likes me the preacher ;]

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • WabbajackWabbajack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    from Resident evil 1, might need some reworking cause of the bad translation.

Keeper's Diary

May 9, 1998
    At night, we played Poker with Scott the guard, Alias and Steve the
    Researcher. Steve was really lucky, but I think he was cheating. What
    a scumbag.

May 10, 1998
    Today, a high ranking researcher asked me to take care of a new monster.
    It looks like a gorilla without any skin. They told me to feed them live food.
    When I threw in a pig, they were playing with it... tearing off the pig's legs
    and pulling out the guts before they actually ate it.

May 11, 1998
    Around 5 o'clock this morning, Scott came in and woke me up suddenly.
    He was wearing a protection suit that looks like a space suit. He told me
    to put one on as well. I heard there was an accident in the basement lab.
    It's no wonder, those researchers never rest, even at night.

May 12, 1998
    I've been wearing this annoying space suit since yesterday. My skin grows
    musty and feels very itchy. By way of revenge, I didn't feed those dogs
    today. Now I feel better.

May 13, 1998
    I went to the medical room because my back is all swollen and feels itchy.
    They put a big bandage on my back and the doctor told me I did
    not need to wear the space suit any more.
    I guess I can sleep well tonight.

May 14, 1998
    When I woke up this morning, I found another blister on my foot. It was
    annoying and I ended up dragging my foot as I went to the dogs pen. They
    have been quiet since morning, which is very unusual. I found that some
    of them escaped. I'll be in real trouble if some of the higher-ups find out.

May 15, 1998
    Even though I didn't feel well, I decided to go see Nancy. It's my first
    day off in a long time. But I was stopped by the guard on the way out.
    They say the company has ordered that no one leave the grounds. I can't
    even make a phone call. What kind of joke is this?!

May 16, 1998
    I heard a researcher who tried to escape from this mansion was shot last
    night. My entire body feels burning and itchy at night. When I was
    scratching the swelling on my arm, a lump of rotten flesh dropped off.
    What the hell is happening to me?

May 19, 1998
    Fever gone but itchy.
    Hungry and eat doggy food.
    Itchy itchy Scott came.
    Ugly face so killed him.
    Tasty.

Itchy.
    Tasty.

Wabbajack on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WabbajackWabbajack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Forgot to put my namesake, from Daggerfall:

Wabbajack

Little boys shouldn't summon up the forces of eternal darkness unless they have an adult supervising, I know, I know. But on that sunny night on the 5th of First Seed, I didn't want an adult. I wanted Hermaeus Mora, the daedra of knowledge, learning, gums, and varnishes. You see, I was told by a beautiful, large breasted man who lived under the library in my home town that the 5th of First Seed was Hermaeus Mora's night. And if I wanted the Oghma Infinium, the book of knowledge, I had to summon him. When you're the new king of Solitude, every bit of knowledge helps.

Normally, you need a witches coven, or a mages guild, or at least matching pillow case and sheets to invoke a prince of Oblivion. The Man Under the Library showed me how to do it myself. He told me to wait until the storm was at its height before shaving the cat. I've forgotten the rest of the ceremony. It doesn't matter.

Someone appeared who I thought was Hermaeus Mora. The only thing that made me somewhat suspicious was Hermaeus Mora, from what I read, was a big blobby multi-eyed clawed monstrosity, and this guy looked like a waistcoated banker. Also, he kept calling himself Sheogorath, not Hermaeus Mora. Still, I was so happy to have successfully summoned Hermaeus Mora, these inconsistencies did not bother me. He had me do some things that didn't make any sense to me (beyond the mortal scope, breadth, and ken, I suppose), and then his servant happily gave me something he called the Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack.

Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack.

Maybe the Wabbajack is the Book of Knowledge. Maybe I'm smarter because I know cats can be bats can be rats can be hats can be gnats can be thats can be thises. And that doors can be boars can be snores can be floors can be roars can be spores can be yours can be mine. I must be smart, for the interconnective system is very clear to me. Then why, or wherefore do people keep calling me mad?

Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack.

Wabbajack on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Opening to Myth:
    In a time long past, the armies of the Dark came again into the lands of men. Their leaders became known as The Fallen Lords, and their terrible sorcery was without equal in the West.

In thirty years they reduced the civilised nations to carrion and ash, until the free city of Madrigal alone defied them. An army gathered there, and a desperate battle was joined against the Fallen.

Heroes were born in the fire and bloodshed of the wars which followed, and their names and deeds will never be forgotten.

There are other nice quotes, however most of the narrative are quite long.

Tzyr on
    edited September 2007
    Tzyr wrote: »
    Opening to Myth:
    In a time long past, the armies of the Dark came again into the lands of men. Their leaders became known as The Fallen Lords, and their terrible sorcery was without equal in the West.

In thirty years they reduced the civilised nations to carrion and ash, until the free city of Madrigal alone defied them. An army gathered there, and a desperate battle was joined against the Fallen.

Heroes were born in the fire and bloodshed of the wars which followed, and their names and deeds will never be forgotten.

There are other nice quotes, however most of the narrative are quite long.

Yeah, that's sort of what I mean when I talk about the difference between "dramatic" and "well written." If someone read that passage to me, I probably wouldn't think to myself, "Goddamn, that guy's a good actor!"

On the other hand, VeritasVR's monologue from Thief is something that pretty much screams off the page, and which demands a voice to do it justice.

Schrodinger on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Definitely the final monologue of Andrew Ryan's.
    But you would need to do it while holding a golf club to complete the effect.
    Just don't take it too far and have someone beat you to death.

Also, you could have some fun with stuff from Max Payne, but I don't remember if any of it is long enough.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X