As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: Shattered Hope

AsherAsher Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
40klogo-news-redback.jpg
“I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming
object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a
modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a
simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant
of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.”
-Inquisitor

This is the Out Of Character and Planning thread for the one-shot Shattered Hope adventure for Dark Heresy. Any comments questions or just general banter goes here. Currently there is no In Character thread, because details have yet to be finalised.

Provisional Player List

INeedNoSalt - Cimbria - Confirmed
Gabriel_Pitt - Ishmael - Confirmed
Tastyfish - Xanthia - Confirmed
LibrarianThorne - Mir

This leaves the Feral Worlder Mir unclaimed. Both Morskittar and Trenog have expressed interest. Could all players please post as soon as possible to confirm their roles. If you have changed you mind, or have other commitments, please let me know quickly so we can find replacements.

About scheduling: I expect this game to progress fairly slowly due to the global distribution of the players, and, of course, work and education commitments.

TL;DR: Warhammers! Maek Poast!

THE GAME HAS NOW STARTED!
You ahve 48 hours to just bicker and roleplay. After that the game proper begins.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
Asher on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hello, mortals!

INeedNoSalt on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Greetings! I take it that you are definatly in then?

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Yes, yes.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007
    Excellent. Nice big tick for you then.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    So how mutant does a thing have to be to be Inquisitionized?

'cuz, y'no. Albino.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007
    A fail amount of Mutation is acceptable, to whit, Ogryns and Ratlings. People only really break out the Promethium once tentacles or 2 faces start appearing.

Asher on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you can do the stand-up routine where you talk to your hand, and it provides it's own voice, you might be a mutant.

If you go to a clothing optional hive function, and no one can determine your gender (or species!), you might be a mutant.

So I only read the explanation at the start of the pdf, and the character write-ups and explanation at the end, as the module indicated for players. So I actually have no idea what's going on. What's safe IC knowledge to have?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    I'll get to that soonish. Basically, at the start of the adventure you will receive a communique from your master detailing your mission. This message will give you the basics, including where you are going, what you are supposed to do and a brief history. I'm counting you as confirmed as well.

Asher on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Greetings all!

Salt - you might want to read up about the Afrael Strain, chances are you might have originally piqued Inquisitorial interest due to possibly being a descendant of that project. Course chances are you're regular albino but when a those who know their IG history see you and the badge..they might leap to conclusions.

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, the Afrael Stain was rather nasty. I can post a general outline here if you would like. Suffice it to say that it was an attempt to use mutants-clone-albinos as super-soldiers. It didn't really work.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Everything I'm seeing when I search for 'afrael strain' is just army lists. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are any characters still left? I'd love to get in on this.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited September 2007
    Hells yes. Mir is still up for grabs, considering no one else has posted anything.

Salt: Afrael Strain was a secret Project (ooh Spooky) to use genetic data from the greatest heroes of the imperium to create a breed of unstoppable supersoldiers. They worked as promised more or less. However, they came out as Albino and for some reason inspired great hatred in everyone around them. No one liked them. Eventually the project was canned.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Basically, to create a superior breed of guardsman the Adeptus Mechanicus Genetors attempted to combine the DNA of the Imperium's greatest heros (there is a reason they keep all those relics). Things were looking up as with scholara progenerium training, the Afrael Strain guardsmen where extraordinarily disciplined and a dedicated to the cause and their military skills were significantly above average (as would be expected from a regiment recruited from the Imperium's Planetary Governor, Officier, Commisarat and Inquisitorial training schools). So far the only unexplained discepancy in the project was that all the Afrael Strain were albino.

However after the regiments had been decreed to be a success the other more serious side effect of the project appeared - the regiments was cursed with appalling luck, and wierd stuff occured that had no rational explaination. The project was declared a failure after a very short while and attentions directed towards other 'improvement projects'. Possibilily something to do with untouchables, but that's not the sort of thing anyone other than the highest Inquisitors and Genetors would know about

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    Hells yes. Mir is still up for grabs, considering no one else has posted anything.

Salt: Afrael Strain was a secret Project (ooh Spooky) to use genetic data from the greatest heroes of the imperium to create a breed of unstoppable supersoldiers. They worked as promised more or less. However, they came out as Albino and for some reason inspired great hatred in everyone around them. No one liked them. Eventually the project was canned.

I'd be interested in Mir, certainly. Enough to take him, most definitely. However, if the others want him more, would you be open to letting me gen a character?

Will the campaign continue after Shattered Hope? I'd considered doing one, without handing out XP and basically GM ruling hand Flamers and Bolters.

LibrarianThorne on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

I'd be interested in Mir, certainly. Enough to take him, most definitely. However, if the others want him more, would you be open to letting me gen a character?

Will the campaign continue after Shattered Hope? I'd considered doing one, without handing out XP and basically GM ruling hand Flamers and Bolters.

Can I state the obvious about the test subjects?

minigunwielder on
    edited September 2007

But there... aren't any character generation rules?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007

But there... aren't any character generation rules?

Indeed not, but one can surmise that WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay) char gen could work for a statline, then I just pick skills and equipment that are statted out in the demo book. Voila! Character.

I'm guessing that one could also use WFRP careers with very little conversion into DH. Seeing as how the stats are the same, equipment works the same, and that skills/talents are essentially renamed...

LibrarianThorne on
    edited September 2007
    Ok, Thorne, others have posted about being interested, but you are the only one who has actually done so mor than once and in this thread. if you want him, he's yours. As for cobtinuing after this adventure, well, lets see how it goes. However, I am definatly in favour of continuing with these characters or otherwise.

Edit: Yeah, its pretty much is WFRP, with a few diferences.

Asher on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just an FYI, I'm totally into this. Unfortunately I am going on vacation for a week starting Friday, so I probably won't be around to start, but I would be interested in future campaigns.

Jester313 on
    edited September 2007
    Awesome. It looks like there are plenty of people interested in future Campaigns, so it looks like something will be happening.

Asher on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As long as games run in the afternoon, I'm totally itching to get into some PbP games of Dark Heresy.

Now I just need to think up some characters I can throw into an adventure.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    I could totally see myself playing a Catachan or Hive World Thug brought into the retinue as muscle.

"I don't care if dez Chaos or cardsharps. I crack der skulls all the same."

Jester313 on
    edited September 2007
    Well, do we think the should get started sometime soon then? Im not sure how long it will ake to get through the adventure, but I'm expecting a while due to the number of conflicting time zones. I think we should ahve a basic Mechanics discussion first though.

Asher on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just got the demo booklet from the local comic book store... I'll have to look through it and gauge if I've got the time.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2007
    Well, do we think the should get started sometime soon then? Im not sure how long it will ake to get through the adventure, but I'm expecting a while due to the number of conflicting time zones. I think we should ahve a basic Mechanics discussion first though.

You mean a here is how "40K/WFRP" works thing or a how we plan to do this thing?

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    Well, a bit of both really. Im assumign most people are relativly familiar with the WFRP system, and if they are not I can go through it. There are a few differences between WFRP and DH, and some stuff in WFRP has been excluded from the demo booklet.

As for the Planning, I think we need some rules about dice rolling. the Invisible Castle seems to have worked well enough for the Star Wars PbP, so we should consider that. Also, I think posting Stat blocks of enemies owuld be good, so that it allows people to post their To hit, Hiot location, Damage and, if necessary, Critical rolls all in one go.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Well, a bit of both really. Im assumign most people are relativly familiar with the WFRP system, and if they are not I can go through it. There are a few differences between WFRP and DH, and some stuff in WFRP has been excluded from the demo booklet.

I've never been able to find the WFRP book. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not all that familiar with WHFRP, but I've played enough different game systems that I'm not going to be paralyzed when confronted with something other than a d20.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    WFRP is pretty much just a percentile system. Roll a d100 and if you get below your stat, you succeed. Skills work by stats. You always roll vs a stat. A skill just allows you do do so without penalty or do something you would normally not be able to do.

Combat works like this:
    We have Bob, an Inquisitorial henchman with an unfesably large gun of maimary. He elects to shoot at a mutant who has already been reduced to 3 HP. Bob rolls a d100 and gets a 34. He then compared this to his Ballistic Skill (BS), whih=ch, for sake or argument is 40. Therefore he has hit. He then rolls a d10 to damage. All weapons in WFRP and DH do d10 damage +(x), where x is their damage stat. If Bob rolls a 6, he has inflicted 6 points of damage + the modifyer for the weapon which, in this case is 5. This is a total of 11 Points of Damage. This amount of damage is then reduced at the other end by the Toughness and Armour of the target. If the Mutant has a toughtness bonus of 3 and has 1 point of armour, the damage is reduced by 3+1=4, so 11-4 =7 points of damage. This takes him to 0.

Death and criticals are handeled rather differently in WFRP. when a charater is reduced to 0 or less he sufferes a critical. The player inflictign thecritical then rolls another d100 and looks on a chart to see the critical effect. The severity of the critical is determned by how much damage goes below 0. In the exampel of Bob and the mutant, 3-7 = -4, so thats reasonably damaging. There is a chance the mutant will be killed or at least severly maimed.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Wow. So how does character generation work? What do you roll to figure that out?

It seems like there would be a lot of misses if you needed to roll under 2D20 for your attributes.

Jester313 on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If it's anything like Inquisitor (which at least borrows basics from WFRP), professions have a base number for stats plus 2D10 or such.

I've always found D20s to be a bit too random as a core randomizer. Heck, even a couple D6s carry a wide range of results, albiet with a large chunk of averages for the mode.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    So you have like a base 10 and then your roll two D10. So the maximum would be 30. Which means 70% of the time you fail?

I'm not bitching, I'm just asking.

Jester313 on
    edited September 2007
    In WFRP, your starting stats are determined by race, with Humans getting 20 + 2d10 for pretty much everything. The other races, have slightly different numbers, Dwarfs being tougher, elves being better shots, Haflings more personable etc. I suspect in DH that this function will be fulfilled by the world of birth of the Character. WFRP is a system where its hard to hit, but hits do a lot of damage.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Ok, gotcha. Does that get frustrating at all? Constantly failing?

Jester313 on
    edited September 2007
    Everybody's doing it, and i think on average, it's not so vastly different a probability of scoring a hit than any other given system.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    Coolio. It's been awhile since I've done any RPGs so that system is pretty foreign to me.

Jester313 on
    edited September 2007
    Looking at the preview book, you roll 2d10, with each d10 specified as a 10 spot or a 1 spot, so you actually are rolling from 100 down. So if you roll a 2 and a 4, that equals 24.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. The hit chance is a bit lower that some other systems, but when you do hit, theres actualyl a good chance you severly injure them, 1/2 or more, with an outside chance of killign them in a single blow. Hell, the way the system works, it is possible for a Goblin to one-shot a Bloodthirster, provided he is very very very very lucky.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    I think it plays into the 40k atmosphere pretty well.

The average recruit doesn't actually have much in the way of training for their weapons, and the weapons themselves aren't very accurate anyway, but when they hit they do a lot of damage.

DarkPrimus on