As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oblivion 360 is really disappointing. (LttP, I know)

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I almost want to buy the 360 version because I cant even turn on grass on mine without it dying. But everything else is on max.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, thanks for the advice on the HDTV guys, I'll hook it up to one when I get the chance.
    I almost want to buy the 360 version because I cant even turn on grass on mine without it dying. But everything else is on max.

I simply turned everything on high, then cut draw distance to 50% on the PC.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, thanks for the advice on the HDTV guys, I'll hook it up to one when I get the chance.

I simply turned everything on high, then cut draw distance to 50% on the PC.

Man, I can't even play it without distant land on. I turn everything else down to fit.

Something about being able to see miles into the distance, and then being able to walk over there if I want. I wish Morrowind had the same option.

Daedalus on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First and third person games are not my forte on consoles, I can't seem to wrap my head around the dual analog setup, ever since the N64 controller I've never been able to play a shooter on game consoles.

If my computer could run Oblivion, I'd love it to death but I'm never playing it until then.

Dhalphir on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I didn't know GOTY Oblivion had landed.

Does it include all the DLC, or just Knights of the Nine/Shivering Isles? And can saves from non-GOTY be used?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe the problem here is that the someone is percieving the PC as a "console" mechine.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I didn't know GOTY Oblivion had landed.

Does it include all the DLC, or just Knights of the Nine/Shivering Isles? And can saves from non-GOTY be used?

Well, it definately has landed. I'm not sure about the second point. Box just says nights/shivering isles.

As far as saves, the base game seems to be pretty much the same thing. I'd rent it to be sure though.
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    Maybe the problem here is that the someone is percieving the PC as a "console" mechine.

Nah, I was just shocked that it looked worse than on my 4 year old PC. I'm gonna put up with it, because, well, its convenient playing it on the 360, and has a slightly better framerate. I was simply unprepared for the massive bloom overload.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I have not played oblivion, but I hope everyone throws shoes on the roofs

<3

Also, I initially expected to find a thread complaining about how Oblivion is a disappointing game, with a generic fantasy setting, repetitive levels, and a horrible story in which you aren't even the main character. I was prepared to agree with this thread.

Instead, I found someone who didn't know that SD would look worse than a 3 yard elf PC's graphics.

I am sad face.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've put about 120 hours into Oblivion? And I've come to a point where I've lost motivation to do anything. If I open the game up I just end up wandering through the countryside for half an hour without accomplishing anything.

I also have a bunch of quests that appear to be unfinishable for some reason. Map icons lead me to places that have nothing in them, I can't get in to certain places because they're unpickably locked, character X doesn't show... It's frustrating.

But shit it's a hot looking game.

desperaterobots on
    edited September 2007
    I've put about 120 hours into Oblivion? And I've come to a point where I've lost motivation to do anything. If I open the game up I just end up wandering through the countryside for half an hour without accomplishing anything.

I think thats pretty much what everyone does in these games.

In morrowind, I basically just went around looting and stealing. I killed some dude, and took his big lair, and used it to stash my enormous collection of stolen merchandise. I obsessively arranged my glass and daedric weapons and armour, as well as gems and whatnot.

In Oblivion, I basically run around the woods alot and speed run through oblivion gates. I think in my furthest game, I gave up when I realised that being a vampire sucked, and I couldn't get cured without first paying my 5,000 gold bounty, which I really didn't want to do.

Still, lots of stuff to do in Oblivion. My new character is Chingis Khan, steppe archer and donner of silly fur hats.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    I have not played oblivion, but I hope everyone throws shoes on the roofs

<3

http://www.shoesontheroof.com/ has been taken down :|

LewieP on
    edited September 2007

In morrowind, I basically just went around looting and stealing. I killed some dude, and took his big lair, and used it to stash my enormous collection of stolen merchandise. I obsessively arranged my glass and daedric weapons and armour, as well as gems and whatnot.

In Oblivion, I basically run around the woods alot and speed run through oblivion gates. I think in my furthest game, I gave up when I realised that being a vampire sucked, and I couldn't get cured without first paying my 5,000 gold bounty, which I really didn't want to do.

But Oblivion gates are so boring. Why did they make them so fucking tedious?

desperaterobots on
    edited September 2007
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Oblivion is f'ing gorgeous, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about it (anyone playing in HD, that is). There were moments (usually on hilltops or other heights) where I'd just stop and admire the scenery and the sunset.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Which is why you get naked and run through them ignoring all the enemies. Then they become fun again.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Which is why you get naked and run through them ignoring all the enemies. Then they become fun again.

Yep, you never stop. And if the 10 monsters that are following you catch up, or you hit a dead end, you are in trouble. Its amusing.

Like all sandbox games, unless you make your own goals and whatnot, you will be bored senseless.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2007

But the enemies contain loot! PRECIOUS LOOT!

Although I have to say, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with all those Daedra Hearts and spells I can't use. Maybe I'll try it your way next time.

desperaterobots on
    edited September 2007
    So Morrowind.

After spending like 150 hours to beat the main quest (and many of the guild/house/whatever missions), me and my roommate decided to just fool around in the most gamebreaking ways possible. We enchanted a set of cloth armor to make our dude completely invulnerable. This was then used to complete the game again, but skipping about 2/3rds of the main story.

In more fun avenues, we made the most powerful enchanted staff we could (this is saying a lot, since we glitched our intelligence up to the highest it could go). The staff shot out a bolt of fire, lightning and poison in an explosion large enough to take out an entire city. So we'd fly our dude over a bustling city, and just nuke it. Those that survived the fire/lightning would eventually die to the fallout. It was glorious.

We also made a hat that drained your health. This was sold to merchants, who couldn't resist putting it on. So we'd stand there after the sale, nothing would happen for a while, then suddenly the merchant would collapse. Then we'd loot our hat back and carry on. We cleaned out another town this way, and threw all the stuff in the river. Well, all the stuff except the pillows. I spelt my name in the streets with those.

Also, we made potions that were so strong they lasted for YEARS. Not in game years, but real life years. Some of them are probably still active.

That was good times. Nothing in Oblivion was that fun.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Morrowind is indeed more fun. Are there any mods that increase the draw distance? Because thats really the only thing keeping it from still looking awesome by even today's standards.

Though, hit and run archery in Oblivion is a blast, as is sneak attacking with the bow.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Err, when you say draw distance, is this meaning the distance that stuff like grass and plants appear at? Because you said too far, and it's like 30 metres. But if you're meaning the distance you can see things then yeah, probably a touch far. You can see the bridge at the base of Lake Rumare from near frostcrag tower.

But alchemy is way easier and conjuration is awesome, a shame you can't enchant with a conjuration spell like in Morrowind. Also a conspicuos lack of atrifacts and unique items and armour sets.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Heh, I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. Weird.

Anyways, I don't expect you to go out and buy an HDTV just to make this game look a little sharper. Further down the road though, since prices are dropping, it might be a good investment if you use your TV quite a bit.

I'm having trouble understanding why you went from PC to 360. I have like, 60 mods running and it is basically a whole new game. There are the texture mods, too - wow.

Daemonion on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Morrowind is indeed more fun. Are there any mods that increase the draw distance? Because thats really the only thing keeping it from still looking awesome by even today's standards.
    What you would be looking for is the Infinite Draw Distance mod.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2007
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I'm having trouble understanding why you went from PC to 360. I have like, 60 mods running and it is basically a whole new game. There are the texture mods, too - wow.

I never really felt the need to mod it, and my framerate is pretty low (even with the draw distance down). I get like 30 fps inside, but in the middle of the woods, its about half that, or lower. Outdoors battles against multiple foes, with all the grass moving at the same time...yeah, very choppy. This is on high settings, low draw distance (which I kind of prefer, the fog ads some atmosphere.)

If I tried to play Bioshock or Gears of War on my PC (yes, I know the latter isn't out yet), it would have an aneurysm.

I assumed that if the 360 can handle Bioshock better than my PC can, it would also handle Oblivion better. I have not tried it out on HD yet though, as people have told me, so I'm going to give it a shot.
    What you would be looking for is the Infinite Draw Distance mod.

Cool, thanks. I'll maybe give the game a run some time. Haven't played it for a long time now.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wait

so the op is claiming that oblivion on his pc looks better than oblivion on a standard def tv

and that oblivion on his standard def tv has low resolution textures, even though his tv is...standard (low) definition (resolution).

oh. really.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    High settings, low draw distance, shitty framerate. D:

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oblivion gates are ONE part of the main game, and the ending is brilliant and makes up for it. There is an INSANE amount of variety and depth in the game, and the framerate indoors is fine. All things considered Oblivion is fantastic and screw minor complaints, your only making them because the game is so goddamn good. Theres nothing else that even compares to it, unless you count its predecessor.

Morrowind had game breaking fun. Sure. But in terms of missions, Oblivion kicks the shit out of Morrowind. The depth, the design, the variety, the sheer amount of missions that introduce a unique item, location, texture set, or character model, just for one mission, its mind-boggling. Where morrowind suceeds in sheer openness, Oblivion wins through with its mission depth and detail. I mean the only fault really is the Oblivion gates bit, which is like 3 hour section of a 40 hour story. Which includes assasins, Sean bean, Sky temples, and psuedo-paradise-dream hellworlds.

Sure I cant make a potion that makes me fly 40 feet in the air. But I can put a poisened apple inside someones napsack, watch them take it out, eat it, and then die, sending plates and food onto the floor. Plates and food which I can pick up, take anywhere in the gameworld, and dump, complete with physics. And if anyone bags out the physics Ill crack skulls. Sure its floaty when you fire blast someone, but aside from that, its just bizzare to look at the physics in a game this size, with this much scope and detail, and realise you can pickup a readable book, and drop it, and fling it across the room. APPRECIATE THAT.

I just feel its extremely ungrateful to bag out lag and framerate problems in exterior cells when ur on a horse in the face of the overwhelming positive awesomeness that is Oblivion. Growing up playing Mario and sonic, and being goddamn grateful, games like Oblivion make me take a step back and go "holy shit, I love being a gamer". And on a HDTV it looks fantastic, fuck that it looks fantastic no matter what. Its not a goddamn first person shooter.

Prohass on
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I also have a bunch of quests that appear to be unfinishable for some reason. Map icons lead me to places that have nothing in them, I can't get in to certain places because they're unpickably locked, character X doesn't show... It's frustrating.

You only got 120 hours out of a single player game? That sucks...

Mods are cool though.

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Although I have to say, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with all those Daedra Hearts and spells I can't use. Maybe I'll try it your way next time.

Actually the boss level "chests" in the sigil room tends to have the best loot. I did Oblivion runs mostly because some of the enchantments on sigil stones were more powerful than what you could possibly get from an enchantment altar. I did the runs with 100% chameleon to save myself some trouble. If you don't mind taking a dip in lava and have good speed, acrobatics, and athletics levels then you can really shorten the amount of time it takes to get to the end.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can run Bloom on my computer no problem, but I leave it off because it's just ridiculous.

DarkPrimus on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jedijz wrote: »

Actually the boss level "chests" in the sigil room tends to have the best loot. I did Oblivion runs mostly because some of the enchantments on sigil stones were more powerful than what you could possibly get from an enchantment altar. I did the runs with 100% chameleon to save myself some trouble. If you don't mind taking a dip in lava and have good speed, acrobatics, and athletics levels then you can really shorten the amount of time it takes to get to the end.

Speaking of lava, I never bothered to check. Does it do fire damage?

Could one theoretically whip up a 100% resistance to fire and just waltz through lava without blinking?

yalborap on
    edited September 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »

You only got 120 hours out of a single player game? That sucks...

Mods are cool though.

360 = no mods. But that's fine by me. 120 hours is amazing value for money for a single player game, no doubt. But a) that's to be expected from a role playing game, and b) you'd think I'd have a better sense of satisfaction by now.

It's probably my fault; I'm a total procrastinator and will generally rather walk through random landscape than get things done. But if the story was more compelling I'm pretty sure I'd find the motivation. When I was playing through the Dark Brotherhood quests I couldn't put the game down. Now I'm a bit lost for interesting things to do.

That's my only criticism. The game is amazing. I've probably just grown bored of it.

desperaterobots on
    edited September 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Speaking of lava, I never bothered to check. Does it do fire damage?

Could one theoretically whip up a 100% resistance to fire and just waltz through lava without blinking?

It would reduce damage but it won't completely eliminate it.

jedijz on
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got it for PS3 and it is spectacular.
    Sure, the textures arent totally crisp when you stand right next to them and try to see every detail, but for 5 in game steps away, everything looks great. The lighting is wonderful and the detail on clothes and the like is downright wonderful.

Note, this is on a small shitty korean TV.

Any better and eyes would bleed from pure greatness.

Okay, I might be exxagerating a bit, but it definately looks next Gen on PS3

The Black Hunter on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also:
    I have a warrior who also uses restoration.

I use a spell that takes up 3/4 of my mana to restore 1/8th of my health. (restore health 20 points)
    Whats a way to improve this ratio :P

(besides hours of dicking around casting spells)

The Black Hunter on
    edited September 2007
    Also:

I use a spell that takes up 3/4 of my mana to restore 1/8th of my health. (restore health 20 points)

Leveling restoration decreases mana cost of restoration spells.

jedijz on

edited September 2007
    Also:

Leveling restoration decreases mana cost of restoration spells.

Sweet.
    So far I can only use it to give myself a small health touch up.

The Black Hunter on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i love the mods for the computer version...

for example i just downloaded one that gave me 3 different types of armor from assassins creed, one that added around 50 monsters, and another one allows me to actually delete spells from my spell list. hehe 360 version.

Barcardi on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So many incredibly valuable items, so few ways to actually extract that value. I have something like 100k or more worth of items sitting in a dresser in my house, is there any way to actually get that value out of them? The highest sale maximum I've managed to find so far is 1500 gold, which isn't very good when I have items sitting around worth 20k or more.

jothki on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uh, I think that the armourer person in Cheydinhal is 1800, 2300 if you buff your mercantile to 100 and invest, that's the best I've found. I think, it's been a while since I played.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I waited a long time to get a good enough machine to play Oblivion, and I'm kind of disappointed in it. The gameplay is great and I'm having lots of fun exploring, but the level progression seems to make things kind of pointless. Like, I went with a Breton Spellsword, and it seems like my character is really just moving from one set of armor to the next without really changing who he is. I think I might start over with the Overhaul or something, switching my character to an Orc Barbarian or something. Iunno, I'm just kind of missing the personality.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I waited a long time to get a good enough machine to play Oblivion, and I'm kind of disappointed in it. The gameplay is great and I'm having lots of fun exploring, but the level progression seems to make things kind of pointless. Like, I went with a Breton Spellsword, and it seems like my character is really just moving from one set of armor to the next without really changing who he is. I think I might start over with the Overhaul or something, switching my character to an Orc Barbarian or something. Iunno, I'm just kind of missing the personality.

Oblivion sans mods is a rather pretty, super-lite RPG that's fun for a bit. The mods really switch things up.

TychoCelchuuu on