As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A.S.H - Archaic Sealed Heat is a searchable term!

JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
thumb_ashlogo.JPG

For those not in the know, Archaic Sealed Heat is an upcoming DS RPG/SRPG. Why should you care? Well...
  1. It's made by Mistwalker, and the main designer for the game is Hironobu Sakaguchi - you might remember him, he was involved in a couple games you may have heard of. Like Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. And Vagrant Story. And Parasite Eve. I could go on like this for a while, but I think you get the point - he's got a pretty good track record. You might also recognize the names of composer Hitoshi Sakimoto (Vagrant Story, FFT, Odin Sphere, many more).

2. It looks freaking incredible. Seriously. Check out a glimpse:

72694705os0.jpg

Very little in the way of media has been released yet, so hopefully I'll have more screens to add soon.

Intrigued? I sure as hell am. Here's a rundown of what's known so far:
  • The storyline centers around an Empress named Aisha, and of course the Archaic Sealed Heat, a sacred (or something) flame. Supposedly those who touch the flame are burnt to ash, but will be revived - and their memory remains bound in ASH, which will fight (or something to that effect).

• Battle is both SRGP and JRPG. From what little has been shown in screenshots, it looks like you move about on a grid ala SRPGs since forever, but upon initiating battle go into a three party member JRPG style battle. How exactly this works is still not known, but there's speculation that the units you see on the map are your main, story characters and the party it represents for the battles can be composed either of other humans or of various ASH warriors.

• Humans can fall into various classes with distinct abilities. Whether or not class switching/combining/whatever is available is not yet known. Hit the spoiler for concept art for each class. Translations are bound to be shoddy, since they're just he said/I heard/posted somewhere direct translations of the original Japenese (plus my guess at what they actually are)

Longsword (maybe Swordmaster?)
    48.jpg

Battler/Warrior
    45.jpg

Black Mage
    47.jpg

White Mage
    46.jpg

Item User (Alchemist)
    44.jpg

Thief
    43.jpg

Monster Mage (Summoner)
    42.jpg
  • Features CG movies, supposedly lots of them. What we've seen so far (example below) are of course stunning. Also rumored to include extensive voice acting. Wondering how they're fitting it all in? Beats me. Maybe they're using a larger-than-normal cart.

ash031cv2.jpg

Craving a release date? Me too. A Japanese release date of October 4, 2007 in a recent Famitsu scan (apparently either this one or this one here). Still no word on release dates outside Japanland, though.

For those of you skilled in moon language (or simply looking for a small number of pretty pictures and a sampling of the soundtrack in the background), head on over to the official ASH site.

JihadJesus on

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First videos are now available. Off-screen crap and in moonspeak, but better than the complete nothing we had before!

VIDEO ACTION!

Intro!
    Battle goodness!
    Special attack GO!

JihadJesus on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In before : IT LOOKS JUST LIKE FINAL FANTASY

Well guess what, with a team comprised of mainly FF devs and the lead designer for like half of the FF games, what did you expect em to make? fuckin viva pinata?

The_Scarab on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What an odd title for a game. It's like the Japanese aren't even trying anymore and are just stringing together random English adjectives.

Wikipedia says the game is supposed to come on a two gigabit (256 megabyte) cart. Pretty heug for a DS game.

Zxerol on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm liking the thief.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm liking the thief.
    I was just wondering why its the only character wearing next to nothing.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alright! So, i'm done with black magic school, graduated top of the class. im moving on to the real world and...what? you want me to wear that?

never mind

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm liking the thief.
    I was just wondering why its the only character wearing next to nothing.
    She's only half of the team. While you were ogling her just now, her boyfriend stole your wallet.

JihadJesus on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm glad someone else did this. I would have just thrown a couple of scans up, highlighting the fact that you can almost make out the main character's nipples. And then named the thread A.S.N. or some such junk.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They are using a 2 gigabit cart. About 512MB I believe. A first.

JJ on
    edited September 2007
    I remember asking an industry writer about this game a year or so ago, and they swore it was cancelled and moved to the PSP. Apparently he didn't think the graphics he saw of the game were possible on the DS. :lol:

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited September 2007
    I remember asking an industry writer about this game a year or so ago, and they swore it was cancelled and moved to the PSP. Apparently he didn't think the graphics he saw of the game were possible on the DS. :lol:
    Considering that its being published by Nintendo, I think that'd be...unlikely. At best.

JihadJesus on
    edited September 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Considering that its being published by Nintendo, I think that'd be...unlikely. At best.

No kidding. This was quite some time ago though, back during the year or so where there was absolutely no news about this game. It was introduced A LONG, LONG time ago.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hironobu Sakaguchi - you might remember him, he was involved in a couple games you may have heard of. Like Final Fantasy I through X

Renzo on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Ugly costumes on uninspired characters. Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Graphics are incredible (was thinking it was a PS2 title) and coupled with the gameplay, it should silence my qualms about my poorly dressed party.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    boxart:

ash-boxart-0-dsf.jpg

inthegray on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Where are all the rpg fans who are all batshit crazy excited about a female lead character?

Renzo on
    edited September 2007
    Mm. I like the box art, but it looks destined for Japan.

Is this going to be another case of ugly American box art? Hmm.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Probably, box art that's worth a shit never gets released here in America. Why is that anyways?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

Probably, box art that's worth a shit never gets released here in America. Why is that anyways?

I don't know, but I'm thinking the Japanese probably think only over-the-top, Hollywood-ized, explosive covers would garner the American audiences' attention. I might be wrong, but that's a reason that I would think is plausible, since the two cultures are distinctly different.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

I don't know, but I'm thinking the Japanese probably think only over-the-top, Hollywood-ized, explosive covers would garner the American audiences' attention. I might be wrong, but that's a reason that I would think is plausible, since the two cultures are distinctly different.

This is how I've always heard it:

Marketing people in the west have this crazy idea that we prefer CG models to more conceptual art. Also, the need for something dynamic to be going on. Some of my favorite examples of shitty US art come from my system of choice, the Gamecube. Look up the various covers for Twin Snakes and ReMake, and then cry.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    In before : IT LOOKS JUST LIKE FINAL FANTASY

Well guess what, with a team comprised of mainly FF devs and the lead designer for like half of the FF games, what did you expect em to make? fuckin viva pinata?

Are you actually angry at someone who doesn't exist yet? D:

I guess being a black mage adds 40 pounds. That dude (?) is tubbo.

Magic Pink on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, this game looks awesome. I like all the character models in the spoiler especially the theif (:winky:). Totally Awesome!

Katchem_ash on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    256pxboxljprg5.jpg

nelsonhahabi0.jpg

LewieP on
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Picture proving my point

chrono_trigger_box_art.jpg

nelsonhahabi0.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    :cry:

edit: Although the Chrono Trigger box art is pretty meh compared to the in game stuff, and is incorrect.

LewieP on
    edited September 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Hironobu Sakaguchi - you might remember him, he was involved in a couple games you may have heard of. Like Final Fantasy I through X
    Well, after VI he wasn't as directly responsible as director/designer, was he? I guess it's kind of a moot point, we all know he's got a really solid record.

JihadJesus on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like I said in the JRPG thread, I had no idea this wasn't canceled because I haven't really heard anything about it in a long ass time. Are you sure it wasn't canned?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Picture proving my point

More Pictures

front.jpg

nelsonhahabi0.jpg

Xagarath on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game interests and intrigues me.

Poasting for future reference.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like I said in the JRPG thread, I had no idea this wasn't canceled because I haven't really heard anything about it in a long ass time. Are you sure it wasn't canned?

yeah, there's been a lot of new media coming in during the past month from various japanese publications as Nintendo/Mistwalker gears up for its release. definitely wasn't canned.

inthegray on
    edited September 2007
    inthegray wrote: »

yeah, there's been a lot of new media coming in during the past month from various japanese publications as Nintendo/Mistwalker gears up for its release. definitely wasn't canned.
    Yup. A few new Famitsu scans, and the official website came not too long ago.

Does anyone know if this is scheduled for an appearance at TGS?

JihadJesus on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game looks intriguing.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    (snip)
    Features CG movies, supposedly lots of them. What we've seen so far (example below) are of course stunning. Also rumored to include extensive voice acting. Wondering how they're fitting it all in? Beats me. Maybe they're using a larger-than-normal cart.

ash031cv2.jpg(snip)

Given the size and cost of flash memory, I'd imagine having a DS game that's the size of a CD isn't all that impossible. And compression has come a long way since the PSone era, so you can even fit a lot more into that kind of space.

Also, supposedly, all of the in-game sprites are pre-rendered as well. So CG cinemas + CG characters ... this game's gonna be soooo pretty.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I feel like I've looked at each every screen, read every preview and every bit of news about this, and watched every video and I still know next to nothing about it.

bruin on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mr weenis wrote: »
    Alright! So, i'm done with black magic school, graduated top of the class. im moving on to the real world and...what? you want me to wear that?

never mind

Just shot Dr. Pepper out my nose.

etoychest on
  • SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just because OP was unsure: there is indeed a 4th October release date listed in those magazine scans.

SamuraiRock on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    They are using a 2 gigabit cart. About 512MB I believe. A first.

2GBit * 1/8 GB/Gbit = 256MB

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Woah.

Didn't know this game had tactical elements to it.

Sheep on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    borat_do_want.jpg

4rch3nemy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll be keeping my eye on this. I love the concept.

urahonky on