As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I forgot to go to Jury Duty (worst reason to go to jail ever)

FoodFood Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So about 2 weeks ago I got a message that I was to appear in court for jury duty. I was pissed off for a second, but then proceeded to completely forget about it.

So today I was making breakfast and I noticed the envelope sitting on the kitchen counter. "Oh yeah!" I thought, "I have jury duty! I sure hope I didn't miss that!" And like some bad movie scene, I take a look at the letter and realize I was required to be there at 8:30 this very morning.

Now I've been told I could be facing up to 30 days in jail. That seems extremely dubious, but I'm still worried. If I went to jail for missing jury duty I'd have to beat someone up on my first day to get any respect whatsoever. Should I expect any trouble? I live in connecticut.

Food on

• Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The punishment CAN be 30 days in jail, but it's unlikely you will get that punishment. If you called and explained the situation, they will most likely just reassign you to a future date. But definitely call and explain.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First, call your local jury commissioner RIGHT NOW and explain to them that it was a complete accident that you missed your first day of jury duty and ask/plead/beg them to let you off the hook. If you can go down to the courthouse and do this in person, so much the better. They can grant you a one-day reprieve or an emergency deferral (meaning you would be excused from this summons this time, but your name would go right into the hat for the next jury pool).

The worst thing you can do is simply ignore the note and hope it goes away on its own. Judges have little patience for people to skip jury duty, and while 30 days seems like the strict maximum for repeat offenders, you could be facing a fine or a nice weekend in lockup, not to mention that you would still have to serve jury duty. In PA, it's not uncommon for Judges to periodically send the Sheriff around to pick-up people playing hooky from jury duty and scare the hell out of them.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alright, I'm going down to the courthouse and seeing what I can do to put this right. Thanks for the advice.

Food on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    See you in 30 days.

Don't drop the Soap :P

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My wife just had something like that happen. Only in her case, the city of St. Louis called her for duty, but we'd moved to Florida nearly a year prior. She called the jury duty supervisor and explained why she would be unable to complete her duty and they told her to fax a utility bill that's in her name, which they are luckily. Though I guess I'm kind of screwed if I get called. But after sending in the bill, they mailed us back saying that they couldn't find her in the system so she wasn't excused from duty. Think about that for a second. After going back and forth a few more times and more documentation being mailed, they still say that they can't find her in the system, so they can't excuse her. But since she got the summons, she has to serve. We decided just to save all the paperwork and forget about it.

Caliban42 on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scary.

When I had Jury Duty, the Judge issued warrants right then and there for anyone who was supposed to be there but wasn't.

That said, he was a cool guy, and if you screwed up like the OP and actually showed up to explain, he probably would have worked it out with him.

GL man, tell us how it goes.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Washington must be a lot more lenient, I got a summons for jury duty in one county when I was moving to another. Just simply called, then wrote back that I was no longer in the county and therefore couldn't serve, bam no harm no foul.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Same thing in Dallas. I live in Kansas now, so I got a summons a few months ago. The thing had some kind of excuse card on it, one of the options was something like, "I live 400 miles away now." Filled it in, mailed it off, and never heard anything else from it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They're not going to give a shit. They're going to appreciate that it was a mistake, rather than just skipping out, and be happy that you called to fix it. It will not be a big deal.

Skipping it is a bad idea, because the next time you get pulled over and they run your ID, you get hauled in for a "failure to appear." Ask Elki about that, sometime. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While living in Phoenix my friend got a jury summons. He crumpled it up and threw it away.

Oh... and he worked for the Sheriff's department. Apparently, some places just don't give a fuck.

This is not advice, I'm just saying that some places are much more strict about it then others are. But, it's always the law.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    They're not going to give a shit. They're going to appreciate that it was a mistake, rather than just skipping out, and be happy that you called to fix it. It will not be a big deal.

Skipping it is a bad idea, because the next time you get pulled over and they run your ID, you get hauled in for a "failure to appear." Ask Elki about that, sometime. :P

Fuck. I just remembered that I got a summons for jury duty (my first, actually) while I was on AT with the Guard. I never...did anything about that. I think I just had to call or something to let them know why I couldn't shot...but I totally spaced.

Wonder if I have a warrant now.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Fuck. I just remembered that I got a summons for jury duty (my first, actually) while I was on AT with the Guard. I never...did anything about that. I think I just had to call or something to let them know why I couldn't shot...but I totally spaced.

Wonder if I have a warrant now.
    Again, if you call, they'll probably be more than happy to help you.

If you've got proof you were on duty with the guard, the only thing you even did wrong was not telling them. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Last January I got a jury summons here in Texas, but it was the day I got back from my Christmas break at home in CA. When I got it, the jury summons was for that morning (also the first day of school). Filled out the postcard marking myself as a student, mailed it in, nothing ever happened.

Don't worry about it too much. It seems crazy to jail you for that.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Last January I got a jury summons here in Texas, but it was the day I got back from my Christmas break at home in CA. When I got it, the jury summons was for that morning (also the first day of school). Filled out the postcard marking myself as a student, mailed it in, nothing ever happened.

Don't worry about it too much. It seems crazy to jail you for that.
    95% of the time, it won't be a problem.

5% of the time, you end up in front of a judge who cares, with a bench warrant out for a "failure to appear." Not wanting to go to jury duty isn't really worth the chance of spending a weekend in jail.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I agree. But in my case it wasn't because I didn't want to, but rather that I had a legit excuse. AKA, I'm a full time student.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I forgot about JD twice before I actually remembered and went (worst experience of my life...). If you miss it the first time around more than likely they will just send another JD paper in the mail. Besides, you think you are the only person in Connecticut to miss it?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The first time I ever got a jury duty summons, I was selected to be on the Grand Jury for Hampshire County, Massachusetts. The way a grand jury works is very different from a trial jury, and it involved sitting all day every other Tuesday for 3 months. Long story short, I actually only attended 3 out of 6 or 7 sessions. No repercussions whatsoever. Maybe the Grand Jury is different about that.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been summoned a couple of times but I've always had exams or been out of town when it was due to happen. That kind of annoys me as I'd like to serve on a jury, but I doubt I will ever get the chance, having qualified as a lawyer in a fit of madness.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Here in Vegas, when I missed my first jury summons (someone threw it away without telling me), they simply sent another notice. However, I was late for that summons because I forgot all about it until the appointed date and when I arrived they simply put me in the later group. As long as you make an effort to appear, they're happy to work with you.
    Yeah, I agree. But in my case it wasn't because I didn't want to, but rather that I had a legit excuse. AKA, I'm a full time student.

That's probably not really a legitimate excuse. Most cases only last a few days so it'd hardly effect your semester and it's not like people don't have to take time off of work to attend.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    That's probably not really a legitimate excuse. Most cases only last a few days so it'd hardly effect your semester and it's not like people don't have to take time off of work to attend.
    I've never heard of a state where "I'm a student, and have classes during that time" isn't a legitimate excuse.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've never heard of a state where "I'm a student, and have classes during that time" isn't a legitimate excuse.

That's what sucks about jury duty though, it's completely up to the courts discretion... still, civic responsibility and all that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    That's what sucks about jury duty though, it's completely up to the courts discretion... still, civic responsibility and all that.
    Uh, no, actually, many of the immediate "you don't even have to show up" excuses are set by state law. Things like "I am a full-time student, and have classes at that time." "I am blind/deaf/have some other disability that would make it difficult to serve." "I live more than X miles from the courthouse." Etc.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Uh, no, actually, many of the immediate "you don't even have to show up" excuses are set by state law. Things like "I am a full-time student, and have classes at that time." "I am blind/deaf/have some other disability that would make it difficult to serve." "I live more than X miles from the courthouse." Etc.

Yeah, as far as I know, students are basically always exempt unless they want to serve. It's not really up to the court, it's written into the law in many states. In CA, your jury duty can be deferred for up to a year if you're breastfeeding, or if you're taking care of someone who wouldn't be able to survive without you (aka small child or aged relative) and you don't have another job.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    While living in Phoenix my friend got a jury summons. He crumpled it up and threw it away.

Oh... and he worked for the Sheriff's department. Apparently, some places just don't give a fuck.

This is not advice, I'm just saying that some places are much more strict about it then others are. But, it's always the law.

Anybody employed by the police dept. in some fashion usually aren't allowed to serve anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    kn0tkn0t PittsburghRegistered User new member
    I'm on disability and I have a disability witch prevents me from being a juror. Do I still have to go all the way down there with a doctors note or something? I live in Pittsburgh PA BTW, I dont know if laws differ from state to state or not but I'm in PA . I'm on Government SSI/SSD . Just with the medication I have to take everyday would disqualify me from being a juror. Well there's a number to call, I'll call it today plus i see my doctor today if I need a note i can grab it today I guess. what a pain in the ass...

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    kn0t -- in the future don't necro post

However, yes, you generally have to. You may have luck calling them and explaining the situation. It never hurts to call. Just explain that it's out of your way and your disability makes it difficult to do so, but you have no problem providing the proof of such.

Most often they will exempt you over the phone.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MagdarMagdar Registered User regular
    I'm in CT also. When I was in college (12 years ago) I was supposed to have jury duty in the summer. This was after already postponing it at least once. I spent the summer in New Mexico, so obviously missed jury duty. Just contact them, odds are they'll reschedule you and you'll have to show up again.

• Options
    kn0tkn0t PittsburghRegistered User new member
    bowen wrote: »

However, yes, you generally have to. You may have luck calling them and explaining the situation. It never hurts to call. Just explain that it's out of your way and your disability makes it difficult to do so, but you have no problem providing the proof of such.

Sorry I don't know what necro posting is. If I did that, I didn't realize it and I apologize. Thanks for the advice. I got it taken care of today so all is good. again sorry about necroposting.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    kn0t wrote: »

Sorry I don't know what necro posting is. If I did that, I didn't realize it and I apologize. Thanks for the advice. I got it taken care of today so all is good. again sorry about necroposting.

Necro posting is posting in threads which are very old and have not had any new posts in them for a very long time - in this case, five entire years - thus "bringing them back from the dead" like a necromancer.

• Options
    xrxs1020xrxs1020 Registered User new member

I'm curious why someone would flatly tell someone else what to do, and I'm curious why it's bad to "necro post."

If a thread is of interest, and if a person has an authentic reason to post, and if a thread is still functioning on the internet, wouldn't that thread be viable regardless of the years between the last post and the new post?

I see I'm "necro posting" now, in fact. What's the problem?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh.. all kinds of things...

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.