As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bitcoins] The Fainting Goat of Money

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Can we even top this thread anymore?

Somebody edit that graph of predicted bitcoin value over time with the y-axis renamed "thread hilarity"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Can we even top this thread anymore?

I am looking for some go getter investors to help Beenz, if you are interested

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beenz.com

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The Doomsday Cult of Bitcoin

For months now, Bitcoin soothsayers have proclaimed that the virtual currency is going to Change Everything. The mass adoption of Bitcoin, they told us, would utterly transform the way the world stores and exchanges value. Government-backed currency would become obsolete. Farmers in Kenya would use the same Bitcoin-based payment systems as cafés in the Mission. With the future of money in the hands of Satoshi Nakamoto's brilliant protocol, inexact central planning would be replaced by algorithmic decentralization.
    Of course, none of that has happened. And it's exceedingly likely that none of it will.
    You can find many of the loonier Bitcoin proclamations on the r/bitcoin subreddit. (One recent call-to-arms, written by Bitcoin entrepreneur Erik Voorhees, included lines like "We are building a new financial order, and those of us building it, investing in it, and growing it, will pay the price of bringing it to the world.")

Edit:

Top comment from the article
    This article is a joke. Way to strawman those involved with bitcoin. Not everyone is a fanatic and businesses failing will just lead to better ones filling the gap. Even if you don't like it the amount of potential profit to be made for creating the infrastructure is huge. Bitstamp said they will release their financial report soon. You will understand when you see it why VC throw money in btc businesses.

way to prove his point.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I saw someone recently post that the Mtgox bring down was obviously the federal government taking out a competitor.

I mentioned this to one of my crazier friends and he apparently thought it was a reasonable concept. I was pretty flabbergasted and struggled to come up with an articulate response. It was something along the lines of, "With all of the things I'm sure the government would like to do on the internet, you think they've run down the list far enough to get to 'fuck with crypto nerds operating a ponzi scheme?'"

What is this I don't even.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the FBI sold all those silk road coins

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I wonder if the FBI sold all those silk road coins

Thats how we can fix the US deficit

Sell off all the coins at top dollar at once, and the market flood causes a crash, which the US uses to buy back all the coins, which causes a spike, which makes the US sell off all the coins at once, which causes a crash, which the US uses to buy back all the coins, which causes a spike, which makes the US sell off all the coins at once, which causes a crash, which the US uses to buy back all the coins, which causes a spike, which makes the US sell off all the coins at once, which causes a crash, which the US uses to buy back all the coins, which causes a spike, which makes the US sell off all the coins at once, which causes a crash, which the US uses to buy back all the coins, which causes a spike, which makes the US sell off all the coins at once, which causes a crash, which the US uses to buy back all the coins..

Its so simple!

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Flexcoin reveal, taking bets now:

Virtual Router UTM Gateway coded in Javascript
    Mail Transfer agent implemented in Flash
    Database Engine created in MATLAB
    Dark horse - Batch/shells scripts implemented in nothing but C Macros
    Anything Written in Java (trolololol)

Apothe0sis on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Internal theft/scam all along

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Password verification written in QBasic

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Password verification:
    function verify_password($pwd) {
      //TODO: implement verification
      return true;
    }

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Well OBVIOUSLY that.

But after the SSH in PHP reveal from MtGox I have come to both expect and hope for technological innovations that people have neither anticipated nor desired.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I imagine it's a wonderful blend of both bad / laughable security and management just using the company as a piggy bank.

With Love and Courage
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This thread just keeps on giving.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I'm gonna go with "network security consists of putting a padlock on the door to the server room," because I roll low-tech.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm gonna go with "network security consists of putting a padlock on the door to the server room," because I roll low-tech.

Physical security is the best security.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    My thought is that the Accounts Administrator was in a car accident and after a couple of days someone checked their work to find he/she had been writing fan fiction instead of doing the accounts.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Pfft, Flexcoin is so last few hours ago, everyone now is talking about Poloniex

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499580

They decided that banking transactions shouldn't be atomic transactions. Hilarity ensued.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Kalkino wrote: »
    My thought is that the Accounts Administrator was in a car accident and after a couple of days someone checked their work to find he/she had been writing fan fiction instead of doing the accounts.

That, or he was trying to climb the Hearthstone ladder.

With Love and Courage
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    You know what this all reminds me of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttxEQikeu0

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    As long as you put up a quick press release telling your users that you were criminally incompetent and lost their money (which could always be a front for having stolen it), it's apparently OK with the BTC community.

Inkstain82 wrote: »
    As long as you put up a quick press release telling your users that you were criminally incompetent and lost their money (which could always be a front for having stolen it), it's apparently OK with the BTC community.

If they don't do their job right, then the business will lose customers.

The free market works!

edited March 2014
    I wish this board had better controls against double posting.

Schrodinger on
    Pfft, Flexcoin is so last few hours ago, everyone now is talking about Poloniex

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499580

They decided that banking transactions shouldn't be atomic transactions. Hilarity ensued.
    What Happens Now?

I take full responsibility for this and am committed to repaying the debt of BTC. The exchange funds are 12.3% short. Because there is not enough BTC to cover everyone's balances, all balances will temporarily be deducted by 12.3%. Please understand that this is an absolute necessity--if I did not make this adjustment, people would most likely withdraw all their BTC as soon as possible in order to make sure they weren't left in that remaining 12.3%. Aside from the obvious drawback of most of the BTC being taken out of the exchange, this would not be fair--some people would get all of their money right away, and a few would get none right away.

I take 'full responsibility' and will 'repay the debt'. And what I mean by that is that I'm going to use your funds to cover the debt.

But don't worry. It's just 'temporary'. You'll be getting that BTC back in the very nearish future.

With Love and Courage
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I take full responsibility for this and am committed to repaying the debt of BTC. The exchange funds are 12.3% short. Because there is not enough BTC to cover everyone's balances, all balances will temporarily be deducted by 12.3%. Please understand that this is an absolute necessity--if I did not make this adjustment, people would most likely withdraw all their BTC as soon as possible in order to make sure they weren't left in that remaining 12.3%. Aside from the obvious drawback of most of the BTC being taken out of the exchange, this would not be fair--some people would get all of their money right away, and a few would get none right away.
    hahahaa. "We can randomly take 12.3% of your money, and there's nothing you can do about it. See how superior we are to conventional banking?"

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    This thread just keeps on giving.

It's like watching a train crash in super slow motion, only half the passengers are hanging out the windows screaming "NO NO EVERYTHING IS FINE! THIS IS THE TRAIN OF THE FUTUUUUUURE!!"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    hahahaa. "We can randomly take 12.3% of your money, and there's nothing you can do about it. See how superior we are to conventional banking?"

The irony being that's exactly how banks behave?

I'm not a fan of banks / bankers, but I can't say that I've ever woken-up to an e-mail or phone call informing me that 12% of my funds were being outright taken to cover a loss caused by digital mole men.

I know my experience isn't universal, but I'm thinking banks don't regularly just take people's money (charge them for stupid fees? Sure. Take a 12% cut out of your balance because, hey, why not? Not so much).

With Love and Courage
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

In the last thread, we found one of the smaller exchanges using floating point math to keep track of account balances. That one's always a nice punchline.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular

Yeah, you need to show that this has happened somewhere.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I must completely misunderstand how banks work, then.
    I'll just shut up now.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

I'm not a fan of banks / bankers, but I can't say that I've ever woken-up to an e-mail or phone call informing me that 12% of my funds were being outright taken to cover a loss caused by digital mole men.

I know my experience isn't universal, but I'm thinking banks don't regularly just take people's money (charge them for stupid fees? Sure. Take a 12% cut out of your balance because, hey, why not? Not so much).

yea the only time I've heard about it recently is Greece I believe?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

You haven't heard about it recently because banks are regulated and insured so don't typically run into a situation where medium term they can't repay all depositors. What he is doing isn't that far off of what would happen if there wasn't an FDIC and such and a bank lost 10% of their capital somehow.

The situation where some accounts are paid in full while the last to come are paid at 0% is what happens when you're trying to hide insolvency. I'd give the guy credit if the coding error wasn't so stupid I understood it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Cyprus, actually.

But that was a "deposit tax" to make sure the entire country's financial system didn't disappear. Not exactly "we forgot to check if people had a negative balance before running their transactions".

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This thread is like a beautiful and devoted wife I can come home to everyday expecting a kiss, a backrub, and a goblet of wine made from sweet sweet schadenfreude.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »

Virtual Router UTM Gateway coded in Javascript But that was a "deposit tax" to make sure the entire country's financial system didn't disappear. Not exactly "we forgot to check if people had a negative balance before running their transactions".

In the last thread, we found one of the smaller exchanges using floating point math to keep track of account balances. That one's always a nice punchline.

Did we actually find one of those? I can only remember a discussion about how bitcoins were "infinitely divisible" but that using floating point to do that would be the worst idea ever and using integer math would mean requiring an infinite number of bits to represent the value (and thus bloating the blockchain hugely while simultaneously limiting how many transactions you could process even further). Making them not, in practical terms, infinitely divisible.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »

Virtual Router UTM Gateway coded in Javascript But that was a "deposit tax" to make sure the entire country's financial system didn't disappear. Not exactly "we forgot to check if people had a negative balance before running their transactions".

Did we actually find one of those? I can only remember a discussion about how bitcoins were "infinitely divisible" but that using floating point to do that would be the worst idea ever and using integer math would mean requiring an infinite number of bits to represent the value (and thus bloating the blockchain hugely while simultaneously limiting how many transactions you could process even further). Making them not, in practical terms, infinitely divisible.

They're not "infinitely divisible" any more than they have "no transaction fees". The protocol is fixed-point and goes out to eight (I believe) decimal places; any extension to that would require a majority of the network to agree.

There was some exchange that was using good old IEEE 754 double-precision floats to keep track of account balances in both bitcoins and USD, which became obvious really quickly when it showed account balances of, e.g., $1.000000000000321 after the first couple of transactions. I'll see if I can find it later.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »

They're not "infinitely divisible" any more than they have "no transaction fees". The protocol is fixed-point and goes out to eight (I believe) decimal places; any extension to that would require a majority of the network to agree.

There was some exchange that was using good old IEEE 754 double-precision floats to keep track of account balances in both bitcoins and USD, which became obvious really quickly when it showed account balances of, e.g., $1.000000000000321 after the first couple of transactions. I'll see if I can find it later.

That's even better. Hooray for amateur hour at the pretend banks.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Yeah, you need to show that this has happened somewhere.

It happens, but its generally a symptom of a banking system that's badly regulated, has totally gone to shit, or both. In the US you have to have more than 250k in the bank before this is even a possibility in a worst case scenerio.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I never considered myself a good programmer. I made a decent living for a few years at a government contractor, but thankfully there were much better programmers than I keeping a close watch over my work.

But these Bitcoin exchanges seem to have been written by the guys who sat in the back row playing Counterstrike during every Computer Science course I ever took. Performing financial transactions simultaneously without any sort of data locking? Did these people never read a single page of a database textbook?

It'd be downright depressing if it wasn't also so hilarious.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Hoooo my sweet bibby jeezus...
    One thing has already been done: the withdrawal daemon now checks for negative balances before processing withdrawals and will freeze any account with a negative balance. This effectively prevents the exploit from being used again, but it is only a hotfix.

This is just... I... wat? You were operating like a bank/exchange and you didn't even think to validate balances on accounts with incoming/outgoing transactions?! WHAT?! How the fuck do these people manage to set up entire exchange-sites?! They can't even fucking operate a checkbook!

For a group that's really angry about The Man fucking them over financially they are really, really fucking stupid with their money... and even dumber for going "gee, that's OK, at least you told us" to the guy who just told them he's taking 12% of their imaginary-money.

This discussion has been closed.