As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] Map Fortress 2: Pound Nails Into Your Dicks With Hammer!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hey that's me in the last two!

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Who got the screenshot of Crash giving me bedroom eyes or something? I want to see that.

e: Also I have missed Trainwreck immensely. I have a lot of fun on that map.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    One day I shall have a machine that will be able to run games smoothly again.

I miss playing this with you guys.

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Wish I could get the doors working better, it tests totally fine on a local game but once it's online they just love to stay open after a cart goes through them.

Really the only other option is to make them so only carts can use them.. or get rid of them entirely.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Adus wrote: »
    Good scouts are probably the thing I hate most in this game. Good spies and snipers come out of nowhere and can piss me off, but there's something about scouts. They linger. They jump around and you see them in the distance. You see them duck behind a wall so you know they're coming for you and no matter what you do to prepare you can't stop them and their mosquito-like movements. Then you die cause you're flinging rockets or arrows at nothing.

And it's even worse cause when I play scout I can't replicate that sort of crazy movement at all. Even though I'm an awful spy, at least if I be patient and concentrate I can pull off a few backstabs.

You have no idea how nice it is to hear this.

I gave up trying to Snipe worth half a Tinker's Goddamn years ago, and it is kind of nice to know that other people face similar challenges.

You are still a better Sniper than I am a Scout, however.

I sometimes play with a few other friends and they're under the impression I'm some sort of badass so when they get kills on me they're very pleased.

But they have a really good scout player who kills me all the time and generally stays quiet about it. I feel like he doesn't get enough credit because he's probably better than me at the game overall. I've made some impressive kills on him, too, but I think more often than not he'll beat me if we end up one on one.

One thing about good scouts is as Huntsman sniper I don't really have a lot of ways to change up my playstyle to counter them. If I know the other team has a good sniper or spy or any other class I can sort of change how I approach situations accordingly. Scout movement is just too unpredictable and in order to properly counter a really good scout I'd have to probably change my class entirely. So scouts are essentially my greatest nemesis.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Mini Sentries are definitely my worst matchup with my most played class (Pyro w/ Degreaser, Flare Gun, and Axetinguisher). If I just played something that could actually deal with them I probably wouldn't complain about them so much.

I can deal with everything else to an extent but unless I'm on top of a mini I am probably not going to hang around there very long. If I have a moment of peace and some distance I might poke at one with my flare gun for awhile but that takes time.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I am shamed by being the dead spy in the first of those screenshots. I was not on my game as it's been a long week.

Next HONC Friday though... watch your backs.

488W936.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Last night I devoted myself to going on Short Circuit patrol defending sentry nests and one soldier on the other team lost his entire fucking mind and it was glorious, that gun is still fun

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    The Escape Goat linked this to me from our games last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgkByUeKRg

Jesus fucking christ.

• Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    I remember watching that in spectator while waiting to respawn (I'm the guy who say's "I SAW that!")
    Good times.

• Options
    Holy shit.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Mini Sentries are definitely my worst matchup with my most played class (Pyro w/ Degreaser, Flare Gun, and Axetinguisher). If I just played something that could actually deal with them I probably wouldn't complain about them so much.

I can deal with everything else to an extent but unless I'm on top of a mini I am probably not going to hang around there very long. If I have a moment of peace and some distance I might poke at one with my flare gun for awhile but that takes time.

When people start playing annoying minisents, I'll sometimes just switch to a deadringer spy with the red tape recorder. Sap it, walk away, make them wait forever for it to die. Do it again. Usually the engies take the message.

Those damn minisentries really do need to do a bit less damage or something though. They are incredible at area control, and even chunkier classes don't wanna go up against them because they're going to lose a decent chunk of health in exchange for nothing gained, since the engy can just drop another and doesn't mind the destruction. They should be something you have to worry about when in conjunction with other threats, they shouldn't be scaring away heavies and soldiers.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Well, since other people are putting in videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SAEqkZaL4

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

Kana wrote: »

When people start playing annoying minisents, I'll sometimes just switch to a deadringer spy with the red tape recorder. Sap it, walk away, make them wait forever for it to die. Do it again. Usually the engies take the message.

Those damn minisentries really do need to do a bit less damage or something though. They are incredible at area control, and even chunkier classes don't wanna go up against them because they're going to lose a decent chunk of health in exchange for nothing gained, since the engy can just drop another and doesn't mind the destruction. They should be something you have to worry about when in conjunction with other threats, they shouldn't be scaring away heavies and soldiers.

If any Soldier is getting scared of a mini-sentry, he's a lousy Soldier. Ditto Demomen, and to a lesser extent Snipers. Any of them can practically one-shot a mini-sentry, moreso when the thing is still constructing. That last bit is really important; not even mini-sentries construct instantly, and the average Engineer (as in, myself) isn't going to try to place that second sentry intelligently, because he knows there's an angry man with a sentry-killing gun nearby and he needs that sentry to be up and firing ASAP.

Mini-sentries really have an outsized reputation as being these unstoppable death machines. They aren't. They're nuisances, and people fail to deal with them because they're unwilling to change classes or modify their tactics to address them, which are fundamental gestures to the game.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    as someone who plays pyro almost exclusively, mini sentries are absolutely more than just a nuisance

a mini sentry will kill a full health pyro in about 3 and a half seconds. Also they rotate faster, so it's much harder to circle strafe one if I do manage to close the distance

I'm not calling for mini sentries to be banned, but I am absolutely going to be mad that I get hard-countered by something that takes very little effort to employ

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's not that it takes little effort, it's that every meathead class that can kill them also has a way to bypass them entirely or otherwise just shrug off the damage without engaging. After all these years of playing TF2, a game based 99% on securing temporary territories, still nobody thinks in terms of clearing routes for the rest of the team and instead just kills barely enough people so that they alone survive to get a frontline killstreak.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    A mini sentry doesn't really zone you any more than say a heavy or regular sentry does and they are significantly easier to kill. Mini sentries can be annoying but it isn't because they are unbalanced.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    I can't stop thinking of coordinated madness:
    Sticky jumper ullapool caber demos on red jumping as one from the corridor between buildings to the cart at the beginning of the round.
    Team of Beggars Bazooka + buff banner soldiers.
    Bonk scouts swarming both sides of a choke with atomizer or sandman and taunting at the enemies trapped between.
    Still want to see a machina rifle line.

• Options
    A mini sentry doesn't really zone you any more than say a heavy or regular sentry does and they are significantly easier to kill. Mini sentries can be annoying but it isn't because they are unbalanced.

heavies will eventually move and can be sneaked past

regular sentry guns require a larger investment of resources, are often in predictable places, and rarely change positions

• Options
    edited March 2014
    again, I'm not saying they're unbalanced or that you should feel bad for using them

just pointing out that they absolutely ruin a pyro's day

edit: and switching classes isn't a viable solution unless I commit to playing a different class for the whole game. With a regular sentry nest, I can switch to demo to deal with it, then switch back to pyro once we push past the area it was controlling. With a mini sentry, I can switch to demo to deal with it, then the engineer drops another one, and later another, and another. Even assuming I kill the engy, he can go right back to dropping them as soon as he respawns

Kilroy on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I hate playing as a Sniper when the enemy has a Spy. Every time, over and over and over, he just walks through my team, invisible, and kills me while I'm scoped. I check behind me between shots! I wear a Razorback! And still he kills me. Sure, I could go Pyro (especially when my team doesn't have one) and find him, but he'll just respawn. I don't want to have to stay a Pyro the whole match just because the enemy has a Spy! It's not fair.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I hate playing as a Sniper when the enemy has a Spy. Every time, over and over and over, he just walks through my team, invisible, and kills me while I'm scoped. I check behind me between shots! I wear a Razorback! And still he kills me. Sure, I could go Pyro (especially when my team doesn't have one) and find him, but he'll just respawn. I don't want to have to stay a Pyro the whole match just because the enemy has a Spy! It's not fair.

Killing a razorback sniper over and over as spy is like a form of delicious candy.

• Options
    An interesting idea I saw somewhere for the minisentry was to make a hybrid pistol/wrangler for it. That is the mini sentry never automatically shoots at enemies, the engineer has to shoot an enemy with his pistol and the sentry follows up with a second shot.. making the sentry sort of a deployable damage boost.

Then have the sentry blow up when the engineer dies.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »

your bullshit analogy fails because the pyro doesn't have anything equivalent to the razorback and it actually takes effort for a spy to penetrate the enemy lines

also I never said anything about "fairness" so maybe be less of a condescending prick

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It gets more infuriating when you watch the killfeed for their other targets and they are only killing you

that is bad spy play and it's insulting that it's taking you out of the game

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Also, speaking of bad ideas, did anyone spot the custom overlay I put into trainwreck?

There's one in each of the spawn rooms.

• Options
    I'm absolutely saying they are imbalanced. Literally anything else I can handle in some way. I can flare a heavy to death in no time. Heavies also have the disadvantage of being controlled by another human. And if I kill a heavy he doesn't get rebuilt immediately. And he doesn't have perfect aim. And he might not be able to rotate fast enough for me to outstrafe him.

A normal sentry is a huge commitment but has huge payoffs if you can keep it up. A mini has almost no commitment for moderate area denial and great distraction potential. and you don't even have to worry about keeping it up because you can drop another right away.

There are a number of things you could change that would balance them I think a range reduction would be the best. Half the time I take a lot of damage from one is because they are out of range and I can barely locate it because they are tiny and still have great range.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'm absolutely saying they are imbalanced. Literally anything else I can handle in some way. I can flare a heavy to death in no time. Heavies also have the disadvantage of being controlled by another human. And if I kill a heavy he doesn't get rebuilt immediately. And he doesn't have perfect aim. And he might not be able to rotate fast enough for me to outstrafe him.

A normal sentry is a huge commitment but has huge payoffs if you can keep it up. A mini has almost no commitment for moderate area denial and great distraction potential. and you don't even have to worry about keeping it up because you can drop another right away.

There are a number of things you could change that would balance them I think a range reduction would be the best. Half the time I take a lot of damage from one is because they are out of range and I can barely locate it because they are tiny and still have great range.

A pyro punishes anybody that lets the player get too close. And while other players have the disadvantage of being controlled by a human, they have the advantage of prioritizing their targets. I don't know what your play strategy is, but you have to have something in your repertoire that lets you take advantage of that. No class is more dangerous to a building farm than a nearby pyro, as engies usually have a few precious seconds or an easy target to dispatch before real damage is done with any other blockbusting strategy.

And it really doesn't matter that snipers get backstabbed a lot as long as they can make crucial kills in the meantime. It's not like they have a long trek from spawn to being useful.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    In an intense fight as a Soldier, the supposed "hard counter" to mini sentries, I can waste a valuable shot at a small target (that is generally at an awkward shallow angle) that I'll hopefully hit accurately and maybe kill even if I do hit it. Then I have one less shot to deal with the actual fight at hand and that sentry that I took out? Oop, another one back up in the same exact spot it was just in time for me to start reloading my rocket launcher.

I make it priority to take out mini sentries whenever I see them from a distance, and I play a lot of classes that can take them out generally quickly. Does it ever feel like I'm effective though? Not at all. There will be another one up behind it literally seconds later and in the mean time I'm spending time baby sitting someone who is barely involved in the fight and is just plopping down new hardware whenever it goes down and fending off strays when they come close, with help of their mini. If they have anything bigger than a small ammo pack anywhere near by, they can do this indefinitely.

I can see their use and the reasoning behind having the weapon, but in modes like KoTH they are just black holes sucking up all the fun from the game and require pretty minimal skill from the player to do so. Meanwhile they are drastically reducing the effectiveness of the majority of the opposing team.

Like I've always said, if they made them cost 105 ammo I think it would fix things a lot.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I think you mean metal, but making them use half your reserve ammo would be an interesting switch

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yeah, metal. I'm thinking in "ammo" packs because that's how they are placed in hammer. :p

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

heavies will eventually move and can be sneaked past

regular sentry guns require a larger investment of resources, are often in predictable places, and rarely change positions

and when a heavy dies, his medic buddy can't shit out another identical heavy in the exact same spot two seconds later

and heavies are vulnerable to crits and airblast/knockback and bleed and etc.

minisentries need some combination of costing more metal to build, having a lot less ammo of their own, turning slower, firing slower, dealing less damage, having reduced pushback, or having less health. that, or give the gunslinger itself some real downsides, like a small move speed penalty or a reduction to primary ammo clip size. obviously implementing most or all of those drawbacks would make the minisentry engy non-viable, but as-is, they're simply too good on their own.

minisentries also encourage engies to go off to the battlefront, spending all their time and metal on minisentries instead of setting up a teleporter, which can be annoying on cp or pl maps where you've got a long trek from spawn to the point. though granted, that's not necessarily a downside given how so many engies will, instead of engaging with the enemy team or providing active support for their own team, just spend the entire round camped out on their little nest until a single spy or demo kills them and their crap all at once.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Mini-sentries ruin a pyro's day on KOTH maps where there are big open central spaces with huge lines of sight. Which is probably most KOTH maps admittedly. If you can get close to a mini-sentry as a pyro it'll die like everything else. (Except heavies which if they're quick will kill you guaranteed even with the axetinguisher is they're at full health.) The one class, from my experience, that just straight up can't really deal very well with mini-sentries at all are scouts.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    In an intense fight as a Soldier, the supposed "hard counter" to mini sentries, I can waste a valuable shot at a small target (that is generally at an awkward shallow angle) that I'll hopefully hit accurately and maybe kill even if I do hit it. Then I have one less shot to deal with the actual fight at hand and that sentry that I took out? Oop, another one back up in the same exact spot it was just in time for me to start reloading my rocket launcher.

I make it priority to take out mini sentries whenever I see them from a distance, and I play a lot of classes that can take them out generally quickly. Does it ever feel like I'm effective though? Not at all. There will be another one up behind it literally seconds later and in the mean time I'm spending time baby sitting someone who is barely involved in the fight and is just plopping down new hardware whenever it goes down and fending off strays when they come close, with help of their mini. If they have anything bigger than a small ammo pack anywhere near by, they can do this indefinitely.

I can see their use and the reasoning behind having the weapon, but in modes like KoTH they are just black holes sucking up all the fun from the game and require pretty minimal skill from the player to do so. Meanwhile they are drastically reducing the effectiveness of the majority of the opposing team.

Like I've always said, if they made them cost 105 ammo I think it would fix things a lot.

I went to valve last year for a community outreach sort of thing

we had a Q&A with part of the tf2 team

and, perhaps inevitably, the subject of minisentries came up

the general consensus being that everyone hates them except the engineers who use them

and this very idea was floated to the team

it turns out, they've tested it internally

they said that when minisentries cost 105, nobody uses them anymore

which they obviously prefer to avoid

so I would be surprised if they ever made that change

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

A pyro punishes anybody that lets the player get too close. And while other players have the disadvantage of being controlled by a human, they have the advantage of prioritizing their targets. I don't know what your play strategy is, but you have to have something in your repertoire that lets you take advantage of that. No class is more dangerous to a building farm than a nearby pyro, as engies usually have a few precious seconds or an easy target to dispatch before real damage is done with any other blockbusting strategy.

And it really doesn't matter that snipers get backstabbed a lot as long as they can make crucial kills in the meantime. It's not like they have a long trek from spawn to being useful.

But the engineer isn't near his mini sentry. The pyro isn't a threat to the engi or his nest when mini sentries are in play. It's just guaranteed damage when I move into its range and a potential kill from either the sentry or the engi. Sure it can't prioritize targets but it's causing a huge split focus with zero effort and it comes right back.

I can outstrafe a level 3 sentry. But if I try that against a mini then I lose a significant portion of my health. I was gonna say that engaging a mini is less risky than engaging a level 3 but it's not actually a risk because the payoff is so low for what I put into it. It's not worth the energy put into getting rid if it but you have to get rid of it.

• Options
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Huntsman is the hard counter to mini sentries. :rotate:

So if you got some sniper being a useless fuckwad with the bow, yell at him to deal with the damn things.

• Options
    Well, I woke up this morning and apparently mini-sentries are the most hated and complex thing since differential calculus. Guess I'll be rolling gunslinger for the rest of my TF2 career.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    We're just having our annual nerd rage over mini sentries, that's all, Pablo.

Also, Shorty WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS Q&A SOONER AND WHY ARE YOU NOT TELLING ME EVERYTHING ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW? Also why are you cool enough to get invited to community outreach things? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

Also this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5XdmuMQtmI

UEAKCrash on
This discussion has been closed.