As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

!!! CLICK HERE TO ENLARGE YOUR WEBCOMIC THREAD !!!

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    you're doing god's work, ronnie

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    homestuck

is a lot like

jerkcity

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Homestuck is nothing like jerkcity!

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    homestuck is a jerkcity spinoff

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Homestuck is nothing like jerkcity!

they're both based around chat messenger dialogue

homestuck, like jerkcity

is the truth and the light and the way

wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited March 2014
    basically homestuck is a pretty good webcomic that went on way too long

and actually suffers from being a webcomic?

that is, a serially updated form of story telling heavily influenced by direct and indirect fan input

IMO if Homestuck was, hell I dunno, a book, or released in full chapters instead of a few pages at a time, it would've been a more cohesive, appealing story

as it is I still find it plenty ejoyable, but I perfectly understand people who think it's crap

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There was was a Cucumber Quest update Saturday, but I thought she was on a M/W/F schedule?

YL9WnCY.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Gigi does what she wants

edited March 2014
    I am not one to complain about bonus Cucumber Quest

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Cucumber Quest is a comic about bunny kids going on adventures and having fun. It’s written and drawn by Gigi D.G. The current update schedule is Approximately Sundays, Approximately Wednesdays, and Approximately Fridays.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Beret dude has gone and gotten himself a proper directing job, so his comic's gonna be on hiatus for a bit.

top three webcoms, in no particuler order:

Unsounded
    Cucumber Quest
    Gunnerkrigg Court

special mention: archime (all)

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    yeah people talk about the fanbase and how shitty it is and my only exposure to it has been like two people who were unpleasant independent of the fact that they were really into homestuck

The Homestuck fanbase can be pretty cool. Seen a lot of great artwork and stuff from fans of it. In fact the entire reason I started reading it was because I saw cool artwork and finally wanted to know the context of it (after trying to read the comic beforehand and getting turned off by the start of it).

So now it's been like two years and I've even gone out of my way to seek out Homestuck stuff even in the depths of Tumblr and I've at worst seen things I've rolled my eyes at. Nothing that's any worse than fanbases of just about any other media.

Maybe it was worse when the comic was newer, but at this point I've seen more annoying people in the ones that go out of their way to talk about how much they hate it. Cause nothing is cooler in talking about how much you hate or don't understand a thing, of course.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    top three webcoms, in no particuler order:

Unsounded
    Cucumber Quest
    Gunnerkrigg Court

special mention: archime (all)

I might be able to make htis list as a top 5

But I would have to think about it

And it would need to include Oglaf

dN0T6ur.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I would put Bad Machinery in top three

also I dislike Cucumber Quest, so there's an easy empty slot

aRkpc.gif
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I'm in that homestuck photo posted last page (I'll let you guess which one is me)

l3icwZV.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Adus wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    yeah people talk about the fanbase and how shitty it is and my only exposure to it has been like two people who were unpleasant independent of the fact that they were really into homestuck

The Homestuck fanbase can be pretty cool. Seen a lot of great artwork and stuff from fans of it. In fact the entire reason I started reading it was because I saw cool artwork and finally wanted to know the context of it (after trying to read the comic beforehand and getting turned off by the start of it).

So now it's been like two years and I've even gone out of my way to seek out Homestuck stuff even in the depths of Tumblr and I've at worst seen things I've rolled my eyes at. Nothing that's any worse than fanbases of just about any other media.

Maybe it was worse when the comic was newer, but at this point I've seen more annoying people in the ones that go out of their way to talk about how much they hate it. Cause nothing is cooler in talking about how much you hate or don't understand a thing, of course.

When it was newer, it was just the follow-up to the well-regarded Problem Sleuth.

The fandom exploded at the start of Act 5 and started turning into roughly what it is today. You went from seeing the occasional dude wearing a Dave t-shirt to online stores running out of gray body paint.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    5r3xOnE.jpg
    W04aoPC.jpg

l3icwZV.png
  • B_RB_R Registered User regular
    Is Homestuck finally over ?

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Malky Dungeon updated while I wasn't looking. Cool. Also, Ronnie cameo?

Fuck off and die.
    B_R wrote: »
    Is Homestuck finally over ?

our long national nightmare homestuck is never over

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Malky Dungeon updated while I wasn't looking. Cool. Also, Ronnie cameo?

Every cameo is secretly a Ronnie cameo.

• statlerstatler Registered User regular
    EX9wZaL.jpg

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I go to cons all the time, and as far as I can tell the Homestuck fandom has actually had a few phases of growth and die-off. It's definitely gotten a lot smaller on tumblr and in real life, thanks to this hiatus in particular.

The worst phase of the fandom was undoubtedly that absolute chaotic growth during Act 5. This was before the fandom was established enough to really police itself, and when the reputation of Homestucks being insane was completely earned. Things calmed down a lot during the Cascade hiatus, and then stayed calmer through Act 6. A lot of Homestucks have moved on to new fandoms during the last year or so of slow updates. It's how we got the Night Vale and Dangan Ronpa fandoms, among others.

Tumblr's still going nuclear when the last Homestuck updates drop, though.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    let me

tell you

about jelqstuck

Something something such a thing as too long

• IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    illusionist.jpg
    Oglaf is usually extremely nsfw.

• IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I had to check that three times very carefully to be sure it was safe to post.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    oglaf is known to sneak in secret dicks from time to time, yes

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    illusionist.jpg
    Oglaf is usually extremely nsfw.

"Money's an illusion."

"Glitter never really washes off"

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    9a618b6082da0131022d005056a9545d

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
    I like Homestuck, but I am disappointed that his follow-up projects are more stuff involving Homestuck.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I think if he didn't cash in on the popularity of homestuck while the coals were still hot, he'd have been a fool

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Speaking of weird update schedules I wish Twokinds would settle into one from it's random jaunts between weekly, bi-weekly and ocassionally throwing another one up when he feels like it.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I like Homestuck, but I am disappointed that his follow-up projects are more stuff involving Homestuck.

They're not follow-up projects until he actually begins them after Homestuck is finished

I'm sure that, whatever he starts after Homestuck ends, it ain't gonna have anything to do with Homestuck

dN0T6ur.png
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    having to redraw an entire page because i wasn't happy with it
    fookin fert like

sig-1.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fert a wee toot in memory,
    in memory of a fallen .psd

sig-1.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    What hurts worse, throwing out the file or realizing you've accidentally done everything on one layer?

b1ehrMM.gif
    probably drawing everything on the same layer because you'd be a lot further along in the process,
    with throwing out a file because you werent happy with it at least you've probably learned from some of the things you did wrong or didn't like

sig-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.