As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Passports scmhassports

Incredibles 2. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116154

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Incredibles 2: Yay!
    Brad Bird not yet confirmed as involved: :|

There's going to be a Cars 3 and a Planes 2? I never saw either, but I thought everyone was very unenthusiastic about those movies.
    I guess they sell toys, but...come on PixneyDisnar, I'm sure there are cheaper ways to make toy commercials.

• Options
    Brad Bird is confirmed for writing the script! No word on whether hes directing or not.

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Goin' with my boyfriend, and we're planning on seeing lots of old ruins/castles/cathedrals and historic sites...

This is really cool, what made you want to go to Ireland specifically? You should definitely go to an afternoon tea! I'd like to go to England sometime and have an afternoon tea in like every region, get some kind of rail pass and take the trains all over, visit feudalist sites and possibly find a place that serves medieval style food.

I'm always immensely overwhelmed by the insane amount of artifacts that are found everywhere on that continent. I was watching a BBC documentary called How to Get Ahead at Medieval Court, and some church has the skull of some famous bishop type who was best friends with Richard II in a little box in a wall with a door. p01tn9g2.jpg

Apparently it took like 6 whacks to behead him. :|

Kallisti on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Well Ireland seemed good for a few reasons. Ultimately I want to visit Hella Countries in my life. I've never really traveled outside of the country before (Canada does not count! :P ) and I know that my first foray into the "Real World For Real" might be kinda scary, because I'm Miss Anxiety and being in another country with different cultures and customs and languages might be a bit overwhelming, especially if it all feels especially different and new.

I figured in Ireland, at least I'll understand most of the language and won't be in a place that is radically, radically different from the States. I figured it would be a good place to get acclimated to traveling, and all the ups and downs and stresses that come with. That way, once I start branching out and traveling to places that are much different than the US, I'll feel a little more...prepared? Getting lost, finding a restaurant or bathroom, making sure what I'm eating/drinking are safe...all that won't be an issue in Ireland, but if I visited Thailand, for example...and needed to figure out how to get back to my hotel or whathaveyou?...that would probably send me off onto Anxiety Planet pretty quickly.

The other part of it is that I love, love, love old things. I wanted to become an Egyptologist/Archaeologist when I was a kid. Cave paintings, castles, temples, ruins, statues, ancient jewelry/pottery/currency/tapestries...it's all completely awesome. Ireland is supposed to be beautiful and have a wealth of Awesome Old Things, so it seemed a great fit for that reason, too. :P

Also I'll be surrounded by Irish accents which will pretty much be the best thing

...until I do "that thing I do" when surrounded by strong accents, and start mimicking them by accident...augh

it's sooooo hard to control! I remember meeting my friend's mother for the first time (she and her mother are both British) and trying desperately to not speak back to them with a British accent. I apparently only half-achieved this, because later my friend hilariously told me that her mother asked her, "where is Jen from?"

*cue my 'All-American, born-and-raised' horrified face*

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I also did that once at my college cafeteria, where there was a guy there putting cutlery into bins...and I asked him if I could sneak by and grab a spoon. He replied - in a strong Jamaican accent - that it was no problem, and handed me a spoon. I said something like, "Great, thank you"......in a Jamaican accent. I was fucking horrified but he smiled and narrowed his eyes at me and was all, "...where are you from?"

There was no running away at that point [to live in a hole in the ground forever]. I apologized profusely and explained that I was from "here", and didn't mean to mimic his accent, it was just something that happened sometimes that I couldn't really control. He laughed it off and was completely fine, but I had been scared he'd think I was mocking him or something.

I was still horrified and now live in a hole in the ground, forever.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Mine expired 10 years ago and I occasionally think, 'maybe I should get this renewed', but don't know if it's worth the money/hassle considering I haven't actually gone to a non-Canada foreign country in 15 years. and don't have any actual for-real set plans to do so in the future. I guess it'd make filling out I-9 forms simpler?

The way I see it, is you never know from where an opportunity will come from, so I like to keep prepared, just in case. Passports is one of those things that you just apply for and you don't have to worry about it for a decade.

My old coworker was working at the ad agency that deals with Sony's account. He said he lost a chance to go to a company paid trip to a Tokyo meeting because he couldn't get his passport fast enough.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    im getting this weird thing in photoshop where when i press ctrl+s it doesnt register the first time, but if i do it again it works. pretty annoying.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I used to have a passport when I was in the military.

Which is funny, because nobody asked to see it and we threatened to shoot the one group who did.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Buh?

• Options
    Buh?

One time I landed in Kyrgyzstan and the customs officials sent some guys out to inspect the plane. They said, "we're sending out officials to get everyone's passport and to inspect the plane"

Our aircraft commander said, "we're armed."

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    if you normally weren't inspected, was that chest-thumping by them or what?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    That commander sounds awesome please tell me he always had a cigar and dual wielded some kind of big ass revolvers.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Ass revolvers? Sounds like the weapon of choice for ND
    sorry, that was below the belt... as are butts usually

m3nace on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Meeting distant cousins in Syria, we'd hung out for about a month before they realized I wasn't a slightly retarded native. They'd not realized Arabic was my second language or that I'd grown up in America.

For instance, I'd use the arabic word for "look" when i'm explaining things. "Look, this is how we're going to do it." But that use of the word doesn't translate well, so they kept thinking I was asking them to see something tangible that wasn't there.

I also apparently didn't realize that "Rafeeky" means friend (masculine) and "Rafeekty" means Friend (feminine). Sufficed to say they were confused when I kept referring to them with the Arabic equivalent of "Hey Guuuurrll!"

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    if you normally weren't inspected, was that chest-thumping by them or what?

Yeah, it's part of the agreement we have with any host country. We don't let them on our plane. Usually this isn't a problem because we're allowed a big section of the airport for our stuff, but in Kyrgyzstan's case, we didn't get our own section because the airport is so small.

I'm just glad that I was more armed than the people they sent out, because it could have ended badly the other way.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bebarce wrote: »
    Meeting distant cousins in Syria, we'd hung out for about a month before they realized I wasn't a slightly retarded native. They'd not realized Arabic was my second language or that I'd grown up in America.

For instance, I'd use the arabic word for "look" when i'm explaining things. "Look, this is how we're going to do it." But that use of the word doesn't translate well, so they kept thinking I was asking them to see something tangible that wasn't there.

I also apparently didn't realize that "Rafeeky" means friend (masculine) and "Rafeekty" means Friend (feminine). Sufficed to say they were confused when I kept referring to them with the Arabic equivalent of "Hey Guuuurrll!"

When I had a nasty bike accident while I was living in germany, the woman who helped me up was sure I'd got a head injury, because the shock had basically wiped out my german vocab temporarily.

Eventually I managed to explain I wasn't hurt, just foreign. And possibly a bit dumb.

• Options
    @Wassermelone‌ ...I saw this and immediately thought of the color schemes you use! I thought it was really striking, and purty.

37734af175c00337bb162248f3900569.jpg

http://bladmoran.deviantart.com/art/Witch-Looking-for-you-262571347

• Options
    Is there a polite way to respond to a potential job lead, when it's coming from someplace that seems to be on kinda shaky footing in terms of business experience/prospects?

I've got two people I know vouching for the main dude involved being a good dude when they worked together, but 'being a good dude' doesn't necessarily mean having the means and know-how to keep a studio running in the long term (I've already worked for a couple companies where that was the case), so I'm kinda wary from based on what little I've been able to glean on the company thus far.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    "I have some other opportunities I'd like to explore but thanks for the offer/thanks for thinking of me." ?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Alternatively, if you think you could be convinced with the proper info:

"I really appreciate your [interest/offer/help]! While this opportunity sounds intriguing, I don't know a lot about the company's long-term stability, and was wondering if you could offer me some insight?"

IMO it's not a faux pas to ask a question like that pretty directly, though it may seem scary. I know people have asked questions like that in interviews (especially after my company went under - it was actually information that the other companies voluntarily (and intentionally) would bring up in the interview to ex-38ers, to try and relieve any anxieties they may have had about that company going under, too). Even the big AAA companies would mention that in their interviews, hilariously. Just in case there were doubts. :P

So if you feel the need to back up the reason you're asking that question (which I feel you shouldn't really have to), you could always mention how you've worked with companies in the past that have not been incredibly stable, so you're actively seeking out companies now that have more of a solid footing. That's something they should understand, and something they should be willing to discuss with you. If they can't back up their own claims with facts, and just say "no, just trust us, we're gunna make it big!" then yeah, politely decline and move on without guilt.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's a legit question. Hell, with the industry in its current state you'd be justified in asking that at a rock-solid-seeming company. Ask the guy what the plans/prospects are for the company's long-term growth and stability.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I think it'd take a hell of a sales pitch to convince me it's a good deal, at least as long as I'm not in financial dire straits.

I'm looking at their website and it offers pretty much no information whatsoever on what they've actually done as a company- which is fairly alarming for a company that is supposed to have been around for 7 years. They've got a couple random nice pieces of art that don't connect to any particular title. They say they do "web3D, AAA, console, mobile...", which is pretty all over the place, and there's a bunch of buzzword faff copy text that doesn't mean anything. Also there's a tendency to not put spaces after their commas, and a couple of broken image links, which just seems sloppy- especially when there's so little to the site to begin with. Googling for information about them has only yielded that they did some kind of outsource development work given to them by another outsourced developer at some point.
    Which all says, at best, they do a bunch of random stuff as an outsource house. Maybe they're being successful at it, but if they're not forthcoming with any credits, I have to wonder why exactly that is. At worst, it's an indication that they're just flying by the seat of their pants, and the site is designed to bamboozle uninformed investors looking for them big 'ol vidya game dollars.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'd want to move so far away based on what I've seen- sounds like I'd have no clue what I'd be doing day to day, and I could be out of work at any time given how unsteady work-for-hire work can be (not that working on a studio's own IP has proven to be all that stable either).
    Maybe it's not fair of me to judge so much based on a website, but it makes me quite wary regardless.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I guess they sell toys, but...

I looked it up:
    ...generated global merchandise sales of over $8 billion in the five years after its 2006 release, the most revenue ever generated by a franchise consisting of a single film.

$$$$$$

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I think it'd take a hell of a sales pitch to convince me it's a good deal, at least as long as I'm not in financial dire straits.

I'm looking at their website and it offers pretty much no information whatsoever on what they've actually done as a company- which is fairly alarming for a company that is supposed to have been around for 7 years. They've got a couple random nice pieces of art that don't connect to any particular title. They say they do "web3D, AAA, console, mobile...", which is pretty all over the place, and there's a bunch of buzzword faff copy text that doesn't mean anything. Also there's a tendency to not put spaces after their commas, and a couple of broken image links, which just seems sloppy- especially when there's so little to the site to begin with. Googling for information about them has only yielded that they did some kind of outsource development work given to them by another outsourced developer at some point.
    Which all says, at best, they do a bunch of random stuff as an outsource house. Maybe they're being successful at it, but if they're not forthcoming with any credits, I have to wonder why exactly that is. At worst, it's an indication that they're just flying by the seat of their pants, and the site is designed to bamboozle uninformed investors looking for them big 'ol vidya game dollars.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'd want to move so far away based on what I've seen- sounds like I'd have no clue what I'd be doing day to day, and I could be out of work at any time given how unsteady work-for-hire work can be (not that working on a studio's own IP has proven to be all that stable either).
    Maybe it's not fair of me to judge so much based on a website, but it makes me quite wary regardless.

Hey I don't have a lot of (edit: any) industry experience, I have no grounds on which to provide career advice, and I basically am not telling you anything you don't already know

"Good guys" with poor proof-reading skills and no demonstrable company achievements spells nothing but trouble. I wouldn't put my future in their hands, especially if any kind of relocation is involved.

I think a good rule of thumb is "if these problems wouldn't fly in a resume/portfolio, I shouldn't let them fly with a prospective employer".

Fugitive on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Go with your gut. And if your gut is in any kind of concordance with my gut you should probably avoid this 'un.

• Options
    Thats rad ND - Is it weird though that one of my favorite bits is the signature? :no_mouth:

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Today it was 42 and sunny. I went for a run in shorts and a t-shirt.

I take what I can get.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it snowed here

• Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Nice weather in 50s today but we're getting snow again next week :(

I also bought a bike yesterday and rode it to work!

• Options
    Hey guys. I've been secretly trying to do animation. I got my first video up, but I'm not sure how to deal with some lip sync issues.

I don't wanna make a thread about this, but I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Lip Sync Test.

• Options
    Sigh.

• Options
    oh man guys
    it is my birthday
    and my mom made me like 2 pounds of goat stew
    I am going exploooooode

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I was on a streak! A 1 year streak! FUCK YOU DOOD.

edit: and happy celebratory womb extraction day to you @Tam
    May the birthday skeleton grant you your wish.

m3nace on
  • Options
    Sigh.

C'mon, I mean... was it that bad?

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Got Friday off before starting my new jerb on Monday, sleeping in this morning was so delicious.

I'm really terrible at saying goodbye to people, I said goodbye to some people I became friends with, but that was about it. A bunch of us went to lunch earlier, but when it came time to actually go, I kinda just slipped out quietly, introvert power activate.

Kallisti on
  • Options
    *kablooie*

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    HAY GUIZE

The butt is back. And I'm almost ready to make amends, and post new stuff for critique. Sorry for being such a butt!

• Options
    What you tryin' ta say??

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I didn't know there were multiple butts in this buttiverse

This discussion has been closed.