As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oblivion 360 is really disappointing. (LttP, I know)

13»

• jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    So many incredibly valuable items, so few ways to actually extract that value. I have something like 100k or more worth of items sitting in a dresser in my house, is there any way to actually get that value out of them? The highest sale maximum I've managed to find so far is 1500 gold, which isn't very good when I have items sitting around worth 20k or more.

If you have Frostcrag Spire or Deepscorn Hallow installed there are new merchants with 2000 gold. With a level 75 merchant skill you can invest in a merchant to increase their gold supply by 500 and when you hit 100 merchant skill all merchants will have an additional 500 gold and you get full prices for all your items rather than needing to haggle. Rather than spend my time leveling my merchant skill by selling an arrow one by one, I just paid a trainer. Right now I have 500,000 gold that I don't know what to do with.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I waited a long time to get a good enough machine to play Oblivion, and I'm kind of disappointed in it. The gameplay is great and I'm having lots of fun exploring, but the level progression seems to make things kind of pointless. Like, I went with a Breton Spellsword, and it seems like my character is really just moving from one set of armor to the next without really changing who he is. I think I might start over with the Overhaul or something, switching my character to an Orc Barbarian or something. Iunno, I'm just kind of missing the personality.

Oblivion sans mods is a rather pretty, super-lite RPG that's fun for a bit. The mods really switch things up.

I don't know man, I've put alot of hours into Oblivion. More hours than into the only better RPG in the last couple of years, Bloodlines.

You can just spend so much time exploring and looting, its ridiculous.

If the main function of an RPG game is escapism, and getting sucked into an imaginary world, the Elder Scrolls does it very, very well, even if other RPGs outshine it in many areas.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2007
    So....um, now that I have gotten used to the graphics and was starting have fun, I have been randomly hit with obscene load times when performing the most simple of tasks. Opening containers, trying to access the menu, switching tabs on the menu. All accompanied by obscene delays. Is this normal?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Oblivion is f'ing gorgeous, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about it (anyone playing in HD, that is). There were moments (usually on hilltops or other heights) where I'd just stop and admire the scenery and the sunset.

I live in Los Angeles. I can go to the beach to admire the sunset (proven best anywhere due to toxic atmosphere--awesome during katabatic wind conditions). In Oblivion the stuff I want to look great looks like hell. The faces are soooo hideous. Give me comic book with some good artists rather than try to look realistic any day.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Oblivion is f'ing gorgeous, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about it (anyone playing in HD, that is). There were moments (usually on hilltops or other heights) where I'd just stop and admire the scenery and the sunset.

I live in Los Angeles. I can go to the beach to admire the sunset (proven best anywhere due to toxic atmosphere--awesome during katabatic wind conditions). In Oblivion the stuff I want to look great looks like hell. The faces are soooo hideous. Give me comic book with some good artists rather than try to look realistic any day.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=678

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited September 2007
    So.....long load times on the 360. Normal? Yes, no? It just kind of suddenly happened, I'm like 8 hours in.

Its kind of worrying, because it pretty much gets in the way of every action I take.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So.....long load times on the 360. Normal? Yes, no? It just kind of suddenly happened, I'm like 8 hours in.

Its kind of worrying, because it pretty much gets in the way of every action I take.

This will fix that.

Nimble Cat on
    edited September 2007
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

This will fix that.

Awesome, I'll give this a try as soon as I get home.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Well, looks like menus are loading properly now. I am counting on Oblivion to fill my RPG cravings till Mass Effect and was like "oh shit" when this happened. Thanks again!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Ah so you are just complaining about the graphics as opposed to the gameplay. gotcha.

Hey now, it's not his fault. pc gamers are desperate to justify their bloated purchases for gaming any way they can. If the graphics can be jacked up on the pc, it looks like shit on the console. If it looks just as good on the console, the pc controls must be superior.

devolve on
    detriot.png
    edited September 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Ah so you are just complaining about the graphics as opposed to the gameplay. gotcha.

Hey now, it's not his fault. pc gamers are desperate to justify their bloated purchases for gaming any way they can. If the graphics can be jacked up on the pc, it looks like shit on the console. If it looks just as good on the console, the pc controls must be superior.

My 4 year old PC that cost as much as a ps3? Take your flame wars elsewhere, please.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again.

The fast-travel option was both a blessing and a curse for Oblivion.

The tediousness of travel in Morrowind, for me, was something I hated with a passion, and loved. It gave even the smallest trip between towns mind-numbing degrees of epicness. The game world in Oblivion is MUCH bigger than in Morrowind, but it just doesn't FEEL like it!

I loved the free-forming game-breaking nature of some of the stuff you could do in Morrowind.

For example, you could enchant a ring with the power of levitation. However, if you wanted infinite levitation, the ring required a massively powerful soul gem and a heap of gold to do so.
    So, instead, I enchanted a ring with a 10 second levitation. Just needed a small soul gem and about 2k gold. When flying, I would simply re-cast the spell every 10 seconds.

Dhalphir on
    edited September 2007
    At first, I thought it was bad, too. Then I realised that I always used the command prompt to teleport myself around in Morrowind, anyway. Making it part of the basic game really didn't change much.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I did that while doing stupid stuff, but while I was actually playing the game, I travelled properly. Hated it, but loved it.

Its hard to explain to anyone who doesn't instinctively know what I mean when I say it.

Flying up to Vivec's chamber directly from Balmora after making my little ring of flight and running naked in front of a demi-god never gets old.

Especially when you then try numerous times to leap naked from his platform to land on the city of Vivec itself.

Dhalphir on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I finished the main quest. Pretty cool ending. I especially like how after the 'events', everyone just sort of walks around and gets on with business, despite the... things. Being deliberately vague here for the spoiler-sensitive.

desperaterobots on
    edited September 2007
    Can you write it down and put it in clearly labelled spoiler tags, or PM it to me?

I have no desire to play Oblivion, my PC doesn't run it, and the 360 version is uncontrollable for me, so I really want to know.

Dhalphir on
    edited September 2007
    Okay. Well. What I refer to is:
    The gigantic demon vs ethereal dragon power-rangers style fight in the middle of the city that results in a mammoth stone dragon statue. Or, as wikipedia puts it:

The protagonist and Martin fight their way to the Temple of the One, in the Imperial City Temple District, to find that a 200-foot tall beast is wreaking havoc in the city, revealed to be the Daedric Prince Mehrunes Dagon himself. Martin fights his way into the Temple, and shatters the Amulet of Kings to merge himself with the spirit of Akatosh, the Dragon-God of Time, becoming his Avatar.

Afterwards people are all 'Top of the day to you!' and 'Did you hear about the whatever in Morrowind?' and 'How may I help you?'... I suppose I would have preferred some reference to the crazy events they'd just witnessed. I mean, really.

desperaterobots on
    edited September 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Can you write it down and put it in clearly labelled spoiler tags, or PM it to me?

I have no desire to play Oblivion, my PC doesn't run it, and the 360 version is uncontrollable for me, so I really want to know.

Really? The controls are really built for the 360, so other than it taking a bit longer to aim with the bow, it kind of controls better. Surfing the menus is actually faster.

Morrowind's menus were far better suited for the PC.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's peasants for you. Save the world, and they still want to talk inanities and charge you for wine...

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007

Really? The controls are really built for the 360, so other than it taking a bit longer to aim with the bow, it kind of controls better. Surfing the menus is actually faster.

Morrowind's menus were far better suited for the PC.

I've discussed it here before.

Playing the N64 FPS's forever ruined console FPS for me.

I just CANNOT seem to wrap my head around the dual analog set up. Its like a mental block.

Dhalphir on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm still disappointed that they removed levitate and jump spells from the game. The whole point for me with the ES games is the freedom they give but Oblivion simply cut out too much of that for me. Damn shame since I'm craving a freeform RPG and neither Gothic III or Two Worlds has been able to satisfy that need.

Silpheed on
    edited September 2007
    Speaking of which, Two Worlds looks exactly like Oblivion, but with a different story... I'm only going off the box-art here. Accurate?

desperaterobots on
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again.

The fast-travel option was both a blessing and a curse for Oblivion.

The tediousness of travel in Morrowind, for me, was something I hated with a passion, and loved. It gave even the smallest trip between towns mind-numbing degrees of epicness. The game world in Oblivion is MUCH bigger than in Morrowind, but it just doesn't FEEL like it!
    I agree. I think it was a mistake to allow teleporting to any town right out of the gate. Two Worlds seems to have married the two pretty well, with teleports all over the map that only work if you've visited them first. At the very least Oblivion should have done that even with the main towns.

Still, in Morrowind I for the most part did just what you did: Even when I COULD use fast travel methods, I didn't. Same in Oblivion. For "real" quests I always walked them out.

Also working to make Morrowind's world feel bigger was the design of the world itself. Mountains and other natural obstacles forced you to take long, winding paths that made distances seem longer than they really were. This also made you feel like a god later in the game, when you could fly over them. By contrast, Oblivion's world is one giant bowl. A damn pretty bowl, to be sure, but one that feels smaller because of the design.

Complaints, yes, but I do love the hell out of both games, and STILL play Morrowind from time to time.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Speaking of which, Two Worlds looks exactly like Oblivion, but with a different story... I'm only going off the box-art here. Accurate?
    Only, only insomuch as they both spring from the same western fantasy roots. For all the common ground the two games share - HUGE open world, flexible character advancement, a gajillion side quests, free roaming sandbox gameplay, etc., etc. - they play and feel very, very differently.

I've been playing Two Worlds since Saturday and am really liking it, but it is flawed. No denying that. It's not nearly as polished as Oblivion. Some take that for suck; for me it's kind of quirky and endearing. The voice acting and dialogue is hilarious, the combat simplistic, and the menus really need a dose of polish ... yet the world feels much bigger, varied and more interesting, the teleport system rocks, and the whole thing has a unique vine that's hard to explain. It feels somehow less generic than Oblivion, I guess, despite Oblivion having GREAT lore and despite both sharing influences in western fantasy.

Two Worlds is Oblivion's awkward drooling psycho virgin cousin who visits for two weeks every summer and eats paste poops his pants. Creepy and off-putting at first, but a super cool guy with a heart of gold and fun to be around if you give him a chance.

Shoegaze99 on
    edited September 2007
    After that criticism though, when i was living with my friend and his beast of a PC, I played the hell out of Oblivion. I'm now living with him again. I still play Morrowind occasionally, but I have no desire to touch Oblivion.

That says something.

Dhalphir on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oblivion in general is a disappointing game. Here's to hoping they learned a few things before they make Elder Scrolls V.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • nonstop_619nonstop_619 Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    it will be interesting to see what they do next with the franchise

nonstop_619 on
    nonstop619.png

No gods or kings. Only man.