As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD Steam thread is old.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Tomb Raider was so good, but it took me awhile to get used to that damn shaky camera. I've thought about playing through it again or going for 100%, but I don't think I want to go through getting used to it again. They really need to add an option to turn that off.

That was a problem I had with Lords of Shadow.
    shryke wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    Damn, stupid credit card went all wonky on my last night and I missed the Deus Ex: Human Revolution deal.

Ahh well, next sale I guess.

PS
    n6r4F.jpg

You know, if you bothered to put a link to your Steam profile in your signature, people might be able to find you...

Grumble, Grumble

/makes a signature

But how are people supposed to friend you when your profile is private?

:D

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    What's a game/stream I can play and people will actually watch?

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Either you are with us
    hedgehog1-269x300.jpg
    or you are with the badgers.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Yeah. Typing from my phone so auto correct errors are going to happen. There are probably some pretty interesting language implications created by auto correct and people still understanding.

It also sounds pretty interesting that you hate the narrator and yet the book is engrossing

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241188578&searchtext=

The good news is that it looks incredible, the bad news is that he's stolen art assets from deviant Art.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    Damn, stupid credit card went all wonky on my last night and I missed the Deus Ex: Human Revolution deal.

Ahh well, next sale I guess.

PS
    n6r4F.jpg

You know, if you bothered to put a link to your Steam profile in your signature, people might be able to find you...

Grumble, Grumble

/makes a signature

But how are people supposed to friend you when your profile is private?

:D

Damn Newell...

• Options
    msmya wrote: »

Cinematic action games are a good choice. Anything fast-paced, third person shooters, games in the "god of war" action style. Some Action RPGs. And anything where the story or the visuals are in constant interaction with the viewer.

I'd say bad options are things like puzzle games, Civ type sim games, and the like.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Cinematic action games are a good choice. Anything fast-paced, third person shooters, games in the "god of war" action style. Some Action RPGs. And anything where the story or the visuals are in constant interaction with the viewer.

I'd say bad options are things like puzzle games, Civ type sim games, and the like.

I would also say games that can produce incredibly amusing fuck ups, like Dark Souls, or can spook/surprise the player, such as Amnesia or other horror-type games.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular

What have you got Mya?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Scary games tend to be appreciated apparently.. Puzzle games if you're bad at puzzles. Basically games that're hard for the player so that others can appreciate the effort. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Umm, how do you make the nifty steam giveaway photo for steamgifts again?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Only a few more days until I get my new gpu and can finally play some games without hitches cannot wait though not sure when I will have the time to install it.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Scary games tend to be appreciated apparently.. Puzzle games if you're bad at puzzles. Basically games that're hard for the player so that others can appreciate the effort. <3

Hard in the sense of skill though, not refusal to listen to mechanics.

Basically don't be DarkSydePhil.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Goshdarnit

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    edit I quit, first person with this nonsense on their wishlist gets it.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Umm, how do you make the nifty steam giveaway photo for steamgifts again?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Wow, Tomb Raider is really pretty.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Scratchy,

How do I make one of those cool Steam Gifts signature giveaway banners?
    v0nJCVB.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I was in the moment, I needed immediate results that couldn't be obtained with multiple clicks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I was in the moment, I needed immediate results that couldn't be obtained with multiple clicks.

Oh, yeah, sure, couldn't spare the clicks to check the OP, but you could somehow rip Betrayer off of my wishlist and gift it to me. :disappointed_relieved:

Thank you, @Scratchy!

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Oh, yeah, sure, couldn't spare the clicks to check the OP, but you could somehow rip Betrayer off of my wishlist and gift it to me. :disappointed_relieved:

Thank you, @Scratchy!

Liar. LIAR! LLIIAARR!! Or, you know, @Scratchy had multiple targets. I just got hit with Betrayer as well. Somehow, I feel that means the whole SteamThread has been... well, you know...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BETRAYED!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    /phew

I was innoculated against such Betrayal earlier today by Antoshka.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    /phew

There are few folks I could betray, Pixie you'd be one of them, but alas my funds, my undying urge for revenge, and your library prevent me at them moment. Next time maybe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm really not sure I'd enjoy Betrayer, so I think I'm safe as well.

• Options
    I think I need to be done for a bit. Enjoy mwahahaha. Bunch of scary stuffs sent out but alas I will probably be without internet for a bit and most definitely be unable to buy/accept awesome stuffs for awesome folks mwahaha.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I think I need to be done for a bit. Enjoy mwahahaha. Bunch of scary stuffs sent out but alas I will probably be without internet for a bit and most definitely be unable to buy/accept awesome stuffs for awesome folks mwahaha.

Wtf Scratchy you dick. :( He got me with the Obscure collection, and 7 Days to die. I'll be sure to stream these. Also if you're without internet, you should swing by my place and we can local coop some stuff up. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Speaking of Obscure, for some reason I found myself oddly drawn to their rerelease. Mostly out of nostlagia goggle memories of the second game years ago that I regretted not finishing.

Thoughts after beating them:

Obscure: I hadn't played this one at all, but I found myself more admiring it than enjoying it. You'll quickly get a gaggle of teens and you take two out at a time to go solve the Scooby Doo mystery. You can control both (with the AI taking over who you're not playing) or play co-op. Each student has a unique skill. However, the game drops the ball a bit by making only 2 of them useful. One can sprint, and one can open locks much faster than the rest of the cast. The others get stuck with a powerful melee attack (quickly forgotten because ammo is plentiful) and hints about what to do. I imagine most players will choose the sprinter and lock picker. Combat is pretty basic survival horror stuff, though more on the obnoxious side than most because the game has far too many enemy encounters. Plot is really basic inspired by Resident Evil stuff. Some creepy moments, and a great (if a bit operatic for the material) soundtrack. The game has a neat permadeath plot where you can get the cast killed at any time. Even if your two characters you control bite it, provided you have any alive, control switches to the ones you left behind and its' up to them to make it from home base to find the corpses and loot your guns back. Enemies can kill you, but there's also a few fun death traps (nothing the game doesn't telegraph). The "story" changes depending on who's alive but the story is incredibly basic so don't expect much.

Obscure 2: This game holds up a bit better. While the first was inspired by Resident Evil, this one was clearly more inspired by Silent Hill, which leads to more interesting atmosphere. The story is again very basic but the characters are a lot more fleshed out (well, as much a story about college kids in a horror game allows). The game takes away the permadeath in favor of scripted deaths (some of which are pretty effective), which I think works to give it that horror movie feel. Characters now all have useful skills needed to solve puzzles, so you'll need to switch up people to progress or find secrets. This is an improvement as well but leads to a few frustrating moments when you bring along the wrong kid and have to backtrack to the base. Combat is better but still basic, but not nearly as obnoxious as the first game. Game has some really odd voice acting at times and probably one of the most absurdly grimdark endings I can remember so it has a decent amount of camp value that overtakes the more moody start of the game. You probably don't even really need to play the first game to jump into this one since the stories in both are so basic.

Anyways, perhaps worth a play if you're a big survival horror fan. Probably not if you don't care for the genre.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    /phew

Innoculated against one game.

But steam has all the games. There is no way to innoculate yourself to all of them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Last Remnant is 3 dollars.

is it enough of a departure from boring JRPG for me to purchase it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DEAR SQUARE ENIX SALE

I GET PAID ON MONDAY OH GOD WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

ehhhh. Kinda? There's a good chance you'll spend a lot of time just being baffled at it to wave off the boredom. It does have probably the most irritating lead character in the genre.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

ehhhh. Kinda? There's a good chance you'll spend a lot of time just being baffled at it to wave off the boredom. It does have probably the most irritating lead character in the genre.

That's a bold claim sir.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Not incorrect though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    This demands proof. I've seen complaints about plenty of protagonists, what makes this one so bad?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Hmmm. Hmm.

That's a pretty harsh criticism.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Most irritating? I dunno, I played Last Remnant, and though Rush is pretty nerve-grating, I'm sure there is a JRPG protagonist who is worst (though I might have a better opinion of him than most, mainly because I really liked his bromance with David; real obvious the latter was just looking for someone his age who he could talk to as a person instead as a ruler of Athlum).

But yeah, lot of bafflement. It's one of those games that tell you just enough to play, but not any of the finer details you really though it should have mentioned, like what makes certain commands show up, or why formation A is better/worse than formation B even though they supposedly have the same stat modifiers to the union, or about 1/3 of what's going on in battles. Finding a guide/wiki might be mandatory if you really want to make sense of all the choices you have.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. The big thing that turned me off from last remnant was the fact that the game doesn't explain jack shit about it's own battle system. It throws numbers at you, doesn't tell you what they mean, and expects you to figure it out yourself. It's a really obtuse battle system that I didn't care enough about to try and crack.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/NEQ2C2-72pI

I imagine at some point. Batman could become a Batdad.

If you are curious as to how a Batman could become a Batdad I guess he'd have some sort of origin story.

signature.png

idk

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    heenato wrote: »
    Yeah. The big thing that turned me off from last remnant was the fact that the game doesn't explain jack shit about it's own battle system. It throws numbers at you, doesn't tell you what they mean, and expects you to figure it out yourself. It's a really obtuse battle system that I didn't care enough about to try and crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgyvxKiu3U

Look at how complex this game is. Look at it and WEEP!

Taramoor on
This discussion has been closed.