As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Zucchini bread is good.

I used to call it bikini bread as a lad

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also, I have learnt that you can make a biscuit-like substance from cauliflower. The person who told me this said that they were using it to make pizza bases, because they weren't eating bread.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I went to some markets this morning, and while there was a person selling finger lime plants, there was no one actually selling the fruit themselves. I got pointed to another market that isn't a million miles away, so that should be good.

On an impulse, I also bought a 1.4kg zucchini, because it was $1. I have no idea what I am going to do with it. One of my friends suggests stuffing it.

Yeah it's going to need some help, flavorwise.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    This butter is possessed, not sure if I should eat it or burn it ceremonially.

alcRKMzl.jpg

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    sorry, guac haters

turns out that guacamole is the fucking bomb

Yeah, preach it brother! Guacamole is delic-
    on pizza

I... um. You lost me there, dude

• Options
    Making one's own guacamole is super satisfying.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    surely a zucchini that big is only usable as a novelty dildo

broken image link
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    @Lalabox‌ Have you ever made any Korean dishes? Because there are some great Korean soups that require zucchini.

Oh and also I have a recipe for zucchini fritters with grapeleaf spread that is amazing!

And the recipe from Jerusalem for turkey-zucchini burgers is really good.

Also I have a recipe that I like for asparagus, zucchini and snow pea salad.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oooh and I forgot, this recipe for Marinated Zucchini is awesome if you aren't shy of a little raw garlic. And it only gets better as it mellows in the fridge.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I made zuchinni (we call it courgette), pea & lime soup seasoned with fresh mint and dusted with a little cayenne

It was pretty nice

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    sorry, guac haters

turns out that guacamole is the fucking bomb

Yeah, preach it brother! Guacamole is delic-
    on pizza

I... um. You lost me there, dude

don't knock it 'til you try it. especially if you make your guac nice and savory like mine, with caramelized onions and cayenne

it also has the added bonus of making the pizza evoke the italian flag if you take a bite and tilt your head looking at the slice

ohh.. i didn't specify that i put it on top after the pizza's already cooked, did i... yes, okay, apprehension approved

• Options
    My mum gave me this chilli and ginger sauce that I have been mixing with mustard and using as a pizza sauce and I will be very sad when the bottle runs out.

broken image link
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My breakfast game is on fucking point this morning.

Talking a spinach and mushroom omelette. Talking oatmeal with fresh blueberries and walnuts. Talking grapefruit. Talking chocolate croissant.

Fucking crushing this morning meal shit.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I don't think I would be all that comfortable eating things that are able to talk.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Dang son, add a cup of coffee and you'll be bullet proof.

Speaking of adding coffee, I added a cup of coffee to the gravy of a big ol' pot roast I made. Yum mother fucking yum.

I swear, my cast iron pot might be a portal to a realm where everything is delicious.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I don't think I would be all that comfortable eating things that are able to talk.

I would eat a parrot.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I had a Gold Rush apple (they're the best) and an everything bagel from the amazing bagel spot down the street, with a super-fresh egg on top.

Your breakfast sounds amazing also but I do not thinking I could consume a talking grapefruit, or any other talking foods for that matter. Who are you, Marvin Suggs?
    okay that was obscure even for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=648Tq_ZY2kM

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man. Everything bagels.

There are some things that make me waver on the idea of moving to the states, and a constant supply of good bagels is definitely one of them.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I would eat a parrot.
    I like children but I don't think I could eat a whole one.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

I would eat a parrot.

As a card carrying member of the Pollyamorous Society, I find that to be disgusting.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I would eat a parrot.
    I like children but I don't think I could eat a whole one.

at around 70% water, they're much more manageable as dried jerky

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I am trying Marmite with butter on toast this morning.

The smell was inoffensive, a bit medicinal but not quite what I was expecting. For some reason I thought it would have a sour scent, like stale beer and pickles, but it's more earthy than that. The consistency threw me off though. I thought it would be thicker and less sticky, easier to spread on toast. It wasn't really an issue for me, just a surprise.

I was not expecting it to be quite as salty as it is. I know everyone said it tastes very salty, but this is more than I would have imagined. Beyond that it really tastes pretty good. I definitely get the "beefy" flavor and I find it quite enjoyable. I think I'd like to eat it with something else on the toast next time, like eggs and cheese, to cut down on the saltiness. I'm also unaware of butter trends outside of the U.S. Here we generally buy salted butter for the table, so that might have amplified the saltiness a good deal. Perhaps I will have to buy some unsalted butter to try next time.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    man. Everything bagels.

There are some things that make me waver on the idea of moving to the states, and a constant supply of good bagels is definitely one of them.
    This is true, but all the bagels in the world will be empty without schmaltz to spread on them.

Cream cheese is alright though.

• Options

I would eat a radio.

broken image link
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    are we talking breakfast in here
    are we talking about how today I roasted diced potatoes in bacon fat, garlic, and onion, then mixed that with some crispy chorizo and topped it with queso fresco and eggs sunny side up fried in the chorizo grease
    coffee on the side

well we are now

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    I made zuchinni (we call it courgette), pea & lime soup seasoned with fresh mint and dusted with a little cayenne

It was pretty nice

I feel instant kinship with you.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    dinner last night and lunch today was a roast chicken complete with roasted veggies. mushrooms, carrots, red capsicums, broccoli, and potatoes.

so very yum.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Zucchini is pretty versatile.

You can shred it up with potatoes and onions and make hash browns.

You can slice it thin and use it in place of lasagna noodles.

You can stuff it.

You can cut it in 1/4" slices, and alternate layers of zucchini, garlic, and Parmesan. Throw the pan in the oven or the back of the grill for a nice side dish.

Also you can make zucchini bread.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    zucchini brownies are very very delicious.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I was not expecting it to be quite as salty as it is. I know everyone said it tastes very salty, but this is more than I would have imagined. Beyond that it really tastes pretty good. I definitely get the "beefy" flavor and I find it quite enjoyable. I think I'd like to eat it with something else on the toast next time, like eggs and cheese, to cut down on the saltiness. I'm also unaware of butter trends outside of the U.S. Here we generally buy salted butter for the table, so that might have amplified the saltiness a good deal. Perhaps I will have to buy some unsalted butter to try next time.

My go-to breakfast is cheese on toast with marmite. Toasted bread, butter and marmite thickly layered, then whatever cheese we have lying around (strong cheddar or emmental usually, red Leicester if I'm feeling particularly common) on top and stuck under the grill to melt. Delicious.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Zucchini brownies? I am intrigued!
    I got my wife a stand mixer for her big/practical part of her birthday presents. That sounds liek a healthy-ish and tasty thing to try to make to break it in!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    How I feel about grilled turkey, cheddar, tomato, and Marmite sandwiches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

• Options
    Zucchini brownies? I am intrigued!
    I got my wife a stand mixer for her big/practical part of her birthday presents. That sounds liek a healthy-ish and tasty thing to try to make to break it in!

basically, make your dry brownie mix, chocolate, sugar, flour, etc. And instead of any other liquid ingredients, you use shredded zucchini.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So given my recent mobility problems, I am trying to think of things/ways to cook that don't require accessing the oven or slinging around large pots of boiling water. I'm kind of getting bored of eggs.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I request stories of delicious food please.

• Options
    We have guests at the moment. Last night I made greek style meatballs. Scale the recipe as required.

1lb minced lamb
    2 lambs kidneys, cleaned, cored and chopped up as fine as you can be bothered to.
    1/2 cup of greek yoghurt
    1 smallish beetroot, peeled and grated straight into the bowl
    1 smallish (or 1/2 a large) onion, peeled and grated straight into the bowl
    3 cloves garlic, minced/chopped fine
    Fresh cilantro to taste (I like lots)
    1-2 tsp Cumin depending how fresh it is and how much you like Cumin.
    1 tsp Smoked paprika
    1/2 tsp Ground coriander

Combine thoroughly all of the above and leave in a covered bowl in the fridge while you do the rest of the prep, or even for a couple of hours if you can. This gives the yoghurt a chance to marinade the meat a little and will make the meatballs really tender.

Make a basic tomato sauce with plenty of olive oil and dried oregano, add some smoked paprika and grind in plenty of black pepper. I like to make it fairly chunky; in fact I used a 500ml carton of passata and 2x 400gr tins of cherry tomatoes to go with a double quantity of the meatballs. Reduce the sauce down by about 10% to get rid of excess water.

Start your oven heating to 180C. Bring out the meatball mix. Mix in some salt and juice of 1/2 a lemon. Immediately begin to shape your mix into ~1" meatballs and brown them on two sides in your trusty frying pan. Put the browned meatballs into a casserole dish such that there is only one layer of meatballs. Pour over the sauce; there should not be so much sauce that it completely drowns the meatballs. (If you've made too much, just save the excess for another day: instant pasta sauce!)

Bake in the over for ~20-25 minutes or so. Meanwhile make a pot of rice. I like brown basmati rice mixed with some 3-grain (barley, spelt, arborio) for this dish, flavoured with green cardamons. You could do pasta instead if you like.

Bring the meatballs out, dress with some more greek yoghurt (make yoghurt stripes across the top of the dish), cover generously with chopped fresh mint and serve immediately.

Don't make any plans for leftovers, because it is very unlikely that there will be any.

• Options
    So, finally used the courgette for something. Cut it open, scooped out the seeds, chopped it into half centimetre slices, salted it and left it to dry in a collander for a bit. Then roasted it for an hour with some whole garlic cloves, a bunch of oil, some pepper and a few herbs.

lfDyvLF.jpg?1?3531

It was really nice. I would definitely buy another giant courgette for a dollar again. It was quite different from roasting a bunch of smaller courgettes. Quite juicy, nice and fleshy. Not as mushy as I thought it would be.

Also, this is the only photo I have of the courgette before it was cooked.

L5FfIAq.jpg?2

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    Another great way of serving zucchinis I've found is to just cut them into rings about a centimetre thick and fry them in butter and a little garlic.
    mmmmmm.

• Options
    Kitchen lifehack: Instead of grating cheese with a grater, try slicing it into thin strips with a chef's knife. It's easier, faster, and you don't have to clean the fucking cheese grater when you're done.

broken image link
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Knifehack?

UmPiq.png
This discussion has been closed.