As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sazer[chat]

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    retard is a weird word for me

it's almost... retarded

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Truth be told most people are taught poetry in a way that strangles the fucking life out of. . .well, life.

It's not all Robert Frost weeping over his own self-made misery.
    this is the same for how most things are taught

i think if you did a study of each subject area you would find that more people on average have had good experiences with teachers in almost any other subject

very few people who teach poetry do so in any way that could be described as competent and doing it solely because the curriculum mandates it

Maths.

You're going to have to get a little more specific than Maths, but I'm willing to bet that more people have enjoyed a math class nationally than a class on poetry. See: Stand And Deliver, every fucking math teacher's wet dream

Our curricula are different to the point of it probably not being worth comparing them.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    When a minority group sets up a slur as a trap word, I think that you just gotta suck it up until it runs its course. Like, maybe 250 years from now white kids will be able to use the n-word freely. Maybe people will laugh if you tell them they can't use it because its power to offend has faded. But today is not that day, and that specific expiration will be blurry and not something an individual is allowed to determine for themselves.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    not there is only one true way

but if you were to teach a group of high school students poetry, the very first fucking assignment should be to ask them to bring in something they consider poetry be it song lyrics whatever

let them start the conversation

chances are, you're going to be talking about hip hop / rap in some capacity

cool, so ask them what they like about it - what the words say, what they sound like, etc

eventually you can bring in shit like amiri baraka, bob kaufman, other writers with a huge spoken word influence and show the connection (and the divergence) between it and music

you can probably then dig deeper and and get people like langston hughes and gwendolyn brooks to show this continuity

but instead you're like, writing villanelles and counting syllables

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Mushishi is basically Bob Ross the Anime

wj749g.jpg

This has been your weekly "Kana raves about Mushishi" post

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    John Cooper Clarke is the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYs7Gf3DoEc

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Wresting the linguistic hegemony from whitey is tough and you gotta do it erry day.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

but if you were to teach a group of high school students poetry, the very first fucking assignment should be to ask them to bring in something they consider poetry be it song lyrics whatever

cool, so ask them what they like about it - what the words say, what they sound like, etc

eventually you can bring in shit like amiri baraka, bob kaufman, other writers with a huge spoken word influence and show the connection (and the divergence) between it and music

you can probably then dig deeper and and get people like langston hughes and gwendolyn brooks to show this continuity

Vanguard is the Cool English Teacher that wears sneakers, drives a convertible, and teaches at risk youth the magic of learning. He's the motherfuckin' Mary Poppins of Iambic Pentameter

edited April 2014
    also eat my jorts et cet et cet
    Poetry is dead. Everyone in this class can go ahead and write those three words down on the paper if you want to pass Philosophy 130."

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I think I watched a few episodes of that. I remember liking it, but I stopped watching for whatever reason.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i can't believe any of you actually have 'skeeters' in your lexicon

I may not look it any more, but I was rural as fuck for a long time.

Ha, me too. Took me a year or two to work that out
    someone on my feed is talking about their summer playlist and it is scrub tier

Your opinions are bad. The Coors are a bad band. You should like good music.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm retrospectively annoyed with the way that I was taught poetry at school.

For obvious reasons, the curriculum focused on Burns, and a lot of his stuff is a bit like that John Cooper Clarke bit. It's supposed to be bawdy, and funny, and shouted at a bunch of rowdy people when performed.

But instead you get twats in evening dress hamming it up and and earnestly reproducing ayrshire pronunciation quirks, and being lauded for their "faithfulness" when they're collectively killing the poems stone dead.

In Ireland last year, 33k students took honours English and only 13k took honours maths. In order to incentivise students to take honours maths, you get 25 bonus points just for taking the harder level. Before the bonus points, on average only 8k students took honours maths.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    hence the article's reference to drag performers, who may obv want to underscore that they're just not another anonymous male/female starlet

What? No. I don't even

a drag performer whose USP is that they're a drag performer - who, for that matter, may not even adopt a transgender identity off-stage - has an obvious conflict with any campaign against the appeal of drag as an amusement

Carmen Carrera was a drag performer. She's not against the appeal of drag as amusement.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

I think I watched a few episodes of that. I remember liking it, but I stopped watching for whatever reason.

It's very episodic and atmospheric (AKA: slow), so it's definitely not really a show where you're like, "Oh man, can't wait to see what happens next!"

But it's one of my favorite shows. Just really good short-form storytelling

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

yeah, I've seen this movie. Hey Michelle Pfeiffer, when are you going to give it one more shot to try and get through to these kids?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Maybe if y'all dropped the plural, they'd think, oh shit, honors math, I can handle that. Just one math. As it stands, they look at that name and its like, honors maths?! HOW MANY ARE THERE? HOW MANY DO I HAVE TO LEARN? WILL THEY ALL BE ON THE TEST?!

Instant anxiety.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Hey I just met you And this is crazy
    But here's my number So call me maybe

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

yeah, I've seen this movie. Hey Michelle Pfeiffer, when are you going to give it one more shot to try and get through to these kids?

if i was in this situation, i wouldn't particularly care if i "got through" to these kids

but i do know for a fact that this would go over more successfully than whatever the fuck is happening during most sections on poetry

Kalkino wrote: »
    someone on my feed is talking about their summer playlist and it is scrub tier

Your opinions are bad. The Coors are a bad band. You should like good music.

woah, I've never claimed otherwise. Jesus, we feel worse about The Coors than Canada does about Celine Dion

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    hence the article's reference to drag performers, who may obv want to underscore that they're just not another anonymous male/female starlet

What? No. I don't even

a drag performer whose USP is that they're a drag performer - who, for that matter, may not even adopt a transgender identity off-stage - has an obvious conflict with any campaign against the appeal of drag as an amusement

Carmen Carrera was a drag performer. She's not against the appeal of drag as amusement.

drag performers are not a homogenous unit, naturally

aRkpc.gif
    Maybe if y'all dropped the plural, they'd think, oh shit, honors math, I can handle that. Just one math. As it stands, they look at that name and its like, honors maths?! HOW MANY ARE THERE? HOW MANY DO I HAVE TO LEARN? WILL THEY ALL BE ON THE TEST?!

Instant anxiety.
    This is 'cism but no matter how goddamn smart the British person is who is lecturing to me, when they say "maths" I lose all respect. I hate myself for it but it sounds so very stupid to me.
    I'm sorry British people. ):

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @Frosteey‌

You were asking about whether it was easier to control the military in Dorf Fortress. Short answer: no. Longer answer: Someone made a great flowchart to explain it

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I had an English teacher who used music as a way of teaching poetry.

It was effective... for the people who knew his music. Since he was picking, like, 1980s rock, and it was 1994, a lot of his choices were lost on people.

But he managed to catch me right at the peak of my teenage prog phase.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

What? No. I don't even

ain't that the T
    hunty!

What? No. I don't even

She was, however, the author of the article in question.

Instant anxiety.

honours

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Its tough. They've been spending most their lives living in a Gangsta's Paradise. Look at the situation they facin'..can't live a normal life, they were raised by the streets

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

What? No. I don't even

and the article makes reference to "other drag performers"

I am pointing out that drag performers may have an entirely understandable interest in highlighting some countercultural status

is that unclear or... what

aRkpc.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i am of the opinion that if you're trying to trick someone into saying a word so you can feign anger at them or whatever

1. you're a douchebag

but more importantly

2. you clearly don't take the word seriously enough to actually be offended so, uh, who cares? shut up

in the case of the trans person i don't think she was really trying to set up a trap. i think she had just decided that tranny was being "taken back" as "our word" as in "we can use it and you can't" but hadn't really relayed the information. there's a weird kind of n-word envy that some people have, and i think this was a case of that.

the black dudes though were totally trying to set up a trap. they thought it was hilarious. in one case i think it was because i was from boston and they from new york so they automatically pegged me as a racist.

U WOT M8

haha on the first post i made a real effort to avoid that phrasing but i guess it fell out of my head on my response :P

Wqdwp8l.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    do you think kids would be less anxious in taking a 1/2 math

maybe a 3/7 math

What? No. I don't even

I am pointing out that drag performers may have an entirely understandable interest in highlighting some countercultural status

Frankly, ronya, I feel like you read the excerpt that Cinders posted, didn't bother to look into it any deeper, and just filed it away under 'I' for 'Infighting/Subcultures/Sexual Minorities' and now you're just inducing everything from that.

PantsB wrote: »

Hey I just met you And this is crazy
    But here's my number So call me maybe
    I threw a wish in the well,
    Don't ask me, I'll never tell
    I looked to you as it fell,
    And now you're in my way

I'd trade my soul for a wish,
    Pennies and dimes for a kiss
    I wasn't looking for this,
    But now you're in my way

Your stare was holdin',
    Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
    Hot night, wind was blowin'
    Where do you think you're going, baby?

Hey, I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

It's hard to look right
    At you baby,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

Hey, I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

And all the other boys,
    Try to chase me,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

You took your time with the call,
    I took no time with the fall
    You gave me nothing at all,
    But still, you're in my way

I beg, and borrow and steal
    Have foresight and it's real
    I didn't know I would feel it,
    But it's in my way

Your stare was holdin',
    Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
    Hot night, wind was blowin'
    Where you think you're going, baby?

Hey, I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

It's hard to look right
    At you baby,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

Hey, I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

And all the other boys,
    Try to chase me,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

Before you came into my life
    I missed you so bad
    I missed you so bad
    I missed you so, so bad

I missed you so bad
    And you should know that
    I missed you so, so bad (bad, bad)

It's hard to look right
    At you baby,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

Hey, I just met you,
    And this is crazy,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

And all the other boys,
    Try to chase me,
    But here's my number,
    So call me, maybe!

I missed you so bad
    I missed you so bad
    I missed you so, so bad

I missed you so bad
    And you should know that

So call me, maybe!

The lyrics follow a fairly typical blank verse a/b/a/b rhyme scheme. Thematically, this is a lyric about wanting something but not wanting to show how much you want it. This oscillation between desperation and bashfulness is exemplified between the lyrics in the verses ("I'd trade my soul for a wish," and "Pennies and dimes for a kiss,") and the refrain in the chorus, "so call me, maybe!"

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just chomped down on a fish head. Grabbed the fish, fully friend, and bit that damn thing off. And it was delicious and didn't have a weird texture. So yum, another step toward being cultured.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Instant anxiety.
    This is 'cism but no matter how goddamn smart the British person is who is lecturing to me, when they say "maths" I lose all respect. I hate myself for it but it sounds so very stupid to me.
    I'm sorry British people. ):

its ok

i 4giev u

whenveer u say anything in an american accent u sound stupid 2 me :(((

its my fave thing about american girls

obF2Wuw.png

What? No. I don't even

Frankly, ronya, I feel like you read the excerpt that Cinders posted, didn't bother to look into it any deeper, and just filed it away under 'I' for 'Infighting/Subcultures/Sexual Minorities' and now you're just inducing everything from that.

it's an article about transgender activists advocating that drag performers stop trying to 'reclaim' labels

you tell me what the deeper meaning is, then

aRkpc.gif
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I AM REALLY GOOD AT POETRY

by Neco

I am really good at poetry

One time I climbed a tree

I am at work now

I have never milked a cow

The End

Who said poetry is dead? *mic drop*

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Its tough. They've been spending most their lives living in a Gangsta's Paradise. Look at the situation they facin'..can't live a normal life, they were raised by the streets
    too much television watchin' got them chasin' dreams...sad state of affairs

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    the excerpt of the article, that is

cinders didn't link to the original

aRkpc.gif
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Tav, you are mistaken. Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't in that movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owW4paF6lSQ

This discussion has been closed.