As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game of Thrones] There sure are a lot of sausages. (No. Books.)

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Tywin was so awesome this episode. He plays the game better than anyone else.

The fact that he listed a bunch of kings and what they did and didn't do well without dropping a beat is a great contrast to Joffrey cutting up a book on historical kings.

Actually, come to think of it, I may need to go back and look at those three Kings (and of COURSE I do this right after cancelling HBO because today is my last day with it free), but I'm pretty sure they're ones who were in the book Tyrion had gotten him. Baelor the Blessed definitely was, at least.

Just Baelor is part of both.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    How does Dany even like feed that army.

I feel like all this slave-freeing of hers is going to come back to bite her somehow soon in someway. I can't see it all going so easy for her as it has been.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    How does Dany even like feed that army.

I feel like all this slave-freeing of hers is going to come back to bite her somehow soon in someway. I can't see it all going so easy for her as it has been.

If I remember my biology classes right, castrated people do not require food.

I mean, that's just science.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    They are plundering large city-states without prolonged sieges, liberating large numbers of skilled labor that can keep her supply lines going. As long as they can keep up the momentum, there's no stopping her.

MSL59.jpg
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    If this hasn't been posted yet, it should have been.

Let It Go: Game of Thrones edition.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KLzjXAV3s
    HOOOOOOOODOOOOOOORRR!

The line about using your moms cable account and having no right to complain is pretty awesome and accurate.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    If this hasn't been posted yet, it should have been.

Let It Go: Game of Thrones edition.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KLzjXAV3s
    HOOOOOOOODOOOOOOORRR!

The line about using your moms cable account and having no right to complain is pretty awesome and accurate.

I was a pretty big fan of "Jon Snow's never bothered me anyway" and "let's be honest: no one cares about Bran"

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Did anyone else immediately know that something horrible was about to happen to that guy and his kid?

Because yeah, literally 1 second before that arrow I was like "people are smiling and full of joy, this is going to end badly".

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Did anyone else immediately know that something horrible was about to happen to that guy and his kid?

Because yeah, literally 1 second before that arrow I was like "people are smiling and full of joy, this is going to end badly".

It says something that I had to think "wait, which one?" in response to your first sentence.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Oh also, congratulations to Jaime for managing to instantly annihilate any sympathy I had towards him.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The A.V club wrote a very interesting article about
    rape and sexual assault in the show.
    Found here

As a warning though, it discusses it in relation to some excerpts from the books to compare and contrast how the show handled certain parts of the story. While I don't believe it lets slip any book-related spoilers, and focuses mainly on the show itself, since this is kind of a 'no book' thread, I just wanted to let people know what they're getting into, as the article does consider the books to be things that exist.

If you guys don't want it here or if it perhaps should be in the other thread, I'll remove the link.

Oh, I just remembered, so one more warning. In spoilers just in case.
    The excerpts from the books used in article contain explicit sexual content.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    And yeah, Jaime is quickly losing all the ground he m
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Oh also, congratulations to Jaime for managing to instantly annihilate any sympathy I had towards him.

I was trying to find a way to say that exact thing. Its like if you remove Jaime from his dumb family he can be a decent human being with the right influence.

But its hard to think of something worse than
    hate raping your sister in a church at the foot of your now dead incestuously born son while blaming it on the gods

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular

Power grabs, incest-rape, Lannister wakes sure are eventful.

Seriously though, probably the most fucked up thing we've seen on the show.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Brutal J wrote: »

Power grabs, incest-rape, Lannister wakes/weddings/dinner parties/stag nights sure are eventful.

Seriously though, probably the most fucked up thing we've seen on the show.

Lannister events are never dull affairs

Tywin and Oberyn in the whorehouse was one of my favorite scenes this season

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Not MandatoryNot Mandatory Registered User regular
    But its hard to think of something worse than
    hate raping your sister in a church at the foot of your now dead incestuously born son while blaming it on the gods

That sentence is truly epic.
    It is amusing to imagine someone sitting down to work on their novel and this is what flows out.
    "Hmm, so after he hate rapes his sister at the church - oh! they could be with their dead son! Okay, so in the middle of mourning him, he'll rape her right there practically on top of their poisoned son of incest. Yeah, that is perfect.
    Now that that's done, I guess I should go walk the dogs."

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I've been in love and I have to agree with Jaime, it really feels like it's totally out of your control when you're in a serious relationship. "We don't choose who we love", as he said last season. But that's just me.

Bubby wrote: »
    I've been in love and I have to agree with Jaime, it really feels like it's totally out of your control when you're in a serious relationship. "We don't choose who we love", as he said last season. But that's just me.

You can definitely choose who you decide to fuck, though.
    And you can definitely choose to not rape someone.

Had Jaime just said that line and then walked out, I would be agreeing with you. But saying that and then doing what he did made it seem like just an excuse for why he was thinking with his dick

Bubby wrote: »

You can definitely choose who you decide to fuck, though.
    And you can definitely choose to not rape someone.

Had Jaime just said that line and then walked out, I would be agreeing with you. But saying that and then doing what he did made it seem like just an excuse for why he was thinking with his dick

Oh yeah, definitely agreed.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    He wasnt thinking with his dick, hes thinking that if he fucks Cersei itll go back to the way it was. Its pathetic, wrongheaded, and rape, but its also not just him wanting a shag

That's a good point, I was just thinking that he had been trying to get with her since he returned and was tired of waiting.

But your explanation is a more reasonable deep motivation for his actions and I like that better.

• Not MandatoryNot Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I read the AVClub link mentioned above, and apparently (not a book spoiler)
    the sex between Jaime and Cersei in the church was consensual!?!?!

Alex Graves: "Well, it becomes consensual by the end, because anything for them ultimately results in a turn-on, especially a power struggle."

That did not come across to me at all.

Not Mandatory on
    Yeah, it was possibly just very poorly conveyed.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Mythbusters once cut a car in half and drove around in it to see if it would run. Even they were less poorly conveyed.

Man, saying "the Lannisters are fucked up" at this point is sort of like saying "nuclear bombs are explosive". I mean its accurate, but really fails to convey the sheer magnitude of the thing.

For jamie sex isnt only about sex. If it was he could fuck half the kingdom. He loves Cersei, only her, her not wanting to have sex with him was symbolic of her no longer loving him or seeing him as weak. Its a power struggle, and its a pathetic attempt to 'force' things to go back to the way they were. She does kind of relent at the end of the scene, in body language, im not saying "oh she wanted it", its still rape, but for Jamie it was him trying to "remind her" of their love, and for her it was a confusing mess of hatred, contempt and misery, with parts she may have wanted and others she explicitly did not. Hes wrong, and its rape, she told him to stop and he didnt, so it is rape, but he didnt do it for the lols or horniness. Thats not Jamie at all.

edited April 2014
    No, I get his reasons completely, I just don't consider them particularly good reasons for doing something so unspeakably terrible.

Mr Ray on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    One of the wierder parts of this episode was Littlefinger stating that Joffrey has been tormenting Sansa for years. In the back of my head I know time has passed, but... yeah it was just weird.

edit: Also, Podrick D:

Foolish Chaos on
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    see317 wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    hah I love Tywin simultaneously teaching Tommen and totally prepping him to shut up and take orders properly

Tywin actually seems like he'd be a pretty good mentor for an upcoming king. He'd explain why you're going to do what he tells you and make sure you understand why you're going to do what he tells you. Then he'd make sure you do what he tells you to do.

Also, love the end scene with the:
    CHAIN O PULTS!
    Plus, Tywin is old, so he's likely going to die soon from old age, so he won't be the power behind the throne for too long. So long as he teaches the kid how to think instead of how to obey, yeah, pretty ideal mentor there.
    So, how screwed is Tyrion here?
    I mean, if he didn't do it because he's smart enough that if he were going to arrange a murder, he'd do so in such a way that he wouldn't be stuck there watching, it.
    But, his defense (and continued breathing) relies on Cersei being smart enough to realize that Tyrion is smart enough...
    And, if Cersei is smart enough to realize that, exonerating Tyrion because he isn't that dumb, then wouldn't that make it the ideal time for Tyrion to arrange a murder?

I think I may be stuck in a pool of circular logic here. I may need help.
    Tywin's throwing Tyrion under the bus. If Cersei was as smart as him, she'd still throw him under the bus. They both hate him and he's the obvious fall guy.

Twenty Sided on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    It's difficult to convey time passing in a world without seasons.

I mean, a substantial amount of time has to have passed, but reckoning how much is hard.

Also, it seems this season's big thing will be Tyrion playing detective from inside his cell, and I would bet money that Pod's list of names would've been a list of dead men shortly after anyone saw it. That scene with Pod was so damn good.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Bronn. He's a sellsword, but I like to hope he has some affection for Tyrion by this point.

The Jaime/Cersei scene was so damned horrifying. It weirdly reminds me of the Drogo/Dany rape scene from season 1 (might've been the pilot, can't remember).

Dany looks so much like Viserys now it's kind of eerie. But a brief fun scene with her this week. I'm liking her a lot more in these small doses than the huge chunks of water-treading from season 2.

Arya/Hound was fun, as always.

Tywin deserves a goddamned Emmy already. Melt something down and make one for him if he won't put his name in.

I loved Tyrion this week, the lines about string pullers and such, its almost like he can barely believe whats happening, but hes still somehow under the impression that itll get resolved, and that as long as he can save the people around him, he can still joke and sort of act bemused. But I love that the show is slowly implying that its going to get darker and darker for him.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Does Sean Bean have any emmys? we could melt one of his down and make one for Charles Dance if he does

He does not.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Damn RNG. I get a rags out, then Faceless it. He draws a Mind control, gets one. My rags hit's his face. I draw nothing to help me get rid of rags (and I had taunted both rags before he MC) when I play an acolite and ping him looking for one of my two poly's or a fireball. He draws a shadow word death. I cannot get rid of my taunted rag.

Also holy crap Mereen looked amazing, like truly epic and phenomenal. We see so many cg medievalish cities that it takes something truly remarkable to impress, and on a tv show of all things

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Also, when Sam goes to the whorehouse
    Is that woman rinsing out a huge condom?

Yes I am quite sure that is what she is doing D:

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Damn RNG. I get a rags out, then Faceless it. He draws a Mind control, gets one. My rags hit's his face. I draw nothing to help me get rid of rags (and I had taunted both rags before he MC) when I play an acolite and ping him looking for one of my two poly's or a fireball. He draws a shadow word death. I cannot get rid of my taunted rag.

I think you're watching a very different episode of Game of Thrones from the one I remember last night.

Diablo 3: Game of Thrones edition

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Found here

As a warning though, it discusses it in relation to some excerpts from the books to compare and contrast how the show handled certain parts of the story. While I don't believe it lets slip any book-related spoilers, and focuses mainly on the show itself, since this is kind of a 'no book' thread, I just wanted to let people know what they're getting into, as the article does consider the books to be things that exist.

If you guys don't want it here or if it perhaps should be in the other thread, I'll remove the link.

Good article, spot on. The spoiler content is very low - it presents scenes that have already taken place from the perspective of the books; those scenes do not refer to other scenes or provide any hints as to what is to come.

The comments section is scary.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Found here

Good article, spot on. The spoiler content is very low - it presents scenes that have already taken place from the perspective of the books; those scenes do not refer to other scenes or provide any hints as to what is to come.

The comments section is scary.

A comments section about feminism on the internet goes badly?

WHAT

Also, when Sam goes to the whorehouse
    Is that woman rinsing out a huge condom?

Yes I am quite sure that is what she is doing D:

I tried to tell myself that wasn't what I'd actually seen, but I think you're right.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Re: the scene between Jaime and Cersei.
    It totally made sense to me as a consensual fucked up sex scene a la True Blood because their whole thing between them is completely fucked. It would not surprise me AT ALL if she was like "No, we can't!" every single time they had (consensual) sex. HOWEVER, the way it was done made it seem very very rapey, which just confused me. Why even do it that way when it makes more sense the other way? Were they worried about Jaime seeming too nice? That's a pretty massive overcorrection if that was the reasoning...

This discussion has been closed.