As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Eh, he's like 6'5 and kind if a nuts athlete, maybe they think they can turn him into a WR or TE.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doubtful, don't go the tebow route, that way is madness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    So apparently we just traded a 7th round pick for Terrel Pryor. Apparently since its not actually a real, physical thing we were having trouble lighting it on fire and flushing it down the toilet.

Tavaris 2.0, which is weird because the hawks just signed tavaris for like two more seasons. Pryor has to know he's going to be at best 3rd string.

they might be thinking about converting him into a receiver. Would be nice to have a 6'6" receiver, and he IS speedy as hell

Also they may just really want a tall rangy fast guy to practice against as a fake Kaepernick. They traded a pick for him, but it's literally the last pick in the draft, so who cares

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    So apparently we just traded a 7th round pick for Terrel Pryor. Apparently since its not actually a real, physical thing we were having trouble lighting it on fire and flushing it down the toilet.

Tavaris 2.0, which is weird because the hawks just signed tavaris for like two more seasons. Pryor has to know he's going to be at best 3rd string.

they might be thinking about converting him into a receiver. Would be nice to have a 6'6" receiver, and he IS speedy as hell

Also they may just really want a tall rangy fast guy to practice against as a fake Kaepernick. They traded a pick for him, but it's literally the last pick in the draft, so who cares

Mr Irrelevant does!

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    As a Raiders "fan"...this is the greatest trade they have ever made. It's like if someone gave me 20 bucks for a bag of my dogs shit.

You can't turn a random great athlete into a WR or TE....Al Davis spent his entire career trying to do so. The raiders have a long history of great athletes who can't catch balls.

Cabezone on
    Cabezone wrote: »
    As a Raiders "fan"...this is the greatest trade they have ever made. It's like if someone gave me 20 bucks for a bag of my dogs shit.
    And then laid the bag like 3x the salary of their starting Super Bowl champion QB!

Who is now the third highest paid QB on the roster by the way.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    He's frequently wrong and yet he gets to be on tv being wrong all the time.

He's basically the seattle weatherman of ESPN. Dude has been wrong so many times he makes Peter King look like a prophet.

Well wrong in what way?
    Where players will go in the draft?
    Everyone is wrong on that and that very hard to predict that stuff because of the trades that happen.

He isn't well regarded because of his ability to predict where players will go in the draft. He is well regarded because he is a great talent evaluator.

As a fan without a team, I put it to those of you who have teams. Ask yourself after this draft, would you have been happier with Mel Kiper's projected picks for your team, or your team's actual picks? If it's the former, I submit, he's doing well at his job. If the latter, poorly.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

He's basically the seattle weatherman of ESPN. Dude has been wrong so many times he makes Peter King look like a prophet.

Well wrong in what way?
    Everyone is wrong on that and that very hard to predict that stuff because of the trades that happen.

He isn't well regarded because of his ability to predict where players will go in the draft. He is well regarded because he is a great talent evaluator.

As a fan without a team, I put it to those of you who have teams. Ask yourself after this draft, would you have been happier with Mel Kiper's projected picks for your team, or your team's actual picks? If it's the former, I submit, he's doing well at his job. If the latter, poorly.

I wonder if he's ever been offered a job by an NFL team.

He doesn't need a job from an nfl team. I'm pretty sure NFL teams use him to throw off other teams about their real picks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Well wrong in what way?

I wonder if he's ever been offered a job by an NFL team.

I doubt it. He certainly makes way more money than an NFL scout, while being totally unqualified for their actual job.

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    He doesn't need a job from an nfl team. I'm pretty sure NFL teams use him to throw off other teams about their real picks.

Lol this is true
    He is not an insider but he gets treated like he is on this stuff

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    To me the pryor pickup is a see what happens and release him if it doesnt work pickup. It is rare to find that kind of athlete in round 7. I am unsure if they will try to put him as a PR or KR or WR or TE but he has the talent to do so. Thing is he had stated in the past adamantly that he would not play anything but QB. But when your NFL career is on life support perhaps you will try other options?

Also I think it is a FU directed towards the 9ers. Other than drafting a QB there is no real backup option on the table if Kap decides to hold out for $exa$

Edit: On the Kiper front. I would hope the Hawks stay far far away from that guy. He proves himself silly wrong every year. With early picks too.

Jubal77 on
    Pryor is all benefit very little risk, if he doesn't work you lost a pretty worthless pick anyway. I mean its not a major pick like a third rounder.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Seattle is apparently also close with Sherman for a deal worth about 13 or 14m a year, hoping to get done before the draft.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don't know much about Pryor other than LOL OSU and LOL Raiders.

Any chance he could be another Golden Tate type of guy?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Pryor is faster than Tate. And 8 inches taller. And he has caught the ball once that I know of on camera. Nice catch too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZYZktLdns

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What's going to happen is Seattle will make the Super Bowl again. And he'll be caught in possession of like six tonnes of marijuana. His people will claim it's legal under Washington state law. The league will point out he was naked and raving about the parking at O'Hare airport. Whilst hitchhiking through the Adirondacks. So they'll suspend him for the first five games of the next season.

Seattle management will then beg the league to let him play in the Super Bowl. The league will acquiesce but require that the team keep him on their 53-man roster for the next season.

They'll win the game and he'll promptly retire.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    they could also literally just be picking up pryor for a scout team kap duplicate

that's a super smart move if that's the case

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    they could also literally just be picking up pryor for a scout team kap duplicate

Is he scout team eligible?

Also Tom Brady
    Screen-Shot-2014-04-21-at-1.56.25-PM-480x500.png

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Well he did want to be traded to a team he would start on. The scout team qualifies.

• r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    You can't turn a random great athlete into a WR or TE....Al Davis spent his entire career trying to do so. The raiders have a long history of great athletes who can't catch balls.
    Antonio Gates.

• r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put the draft so late?

All part of the NFL's master evil plan for year round sports talk domination.

Late April to early May used to be dominated by the first 2 rounds of nba playoff basketball.

Not anymore starting this year.

Just look at the calendar year... Only 2 months aren't dominated by NFL talk.

January - NFL playoffs
    February - super bowl and it's aftermath
    March - NFL free agency / March madness
    April - NFL free agency /start of baseball
    May - NFL Draft /playoff basketball
    June - nba finals and nba free agency
    July - MLB
    August - December - NFL NFL NFL NFL and some more NFL... with some world series sprinkled in in October and college football Championships in December

If you want to dig deeper, there is even more things the NFL is trying to make A Thing. The Combine is in late February, universities have Pro days throughout march, the schedule is released in April (along with the ensuing W-L predictions). Training camps start in July if you're super desperate for news.

We already know all of the teams who play each other next year by the end of the regular season this year. It's always two games against each team in your division, 1 game against each team in a different division of your conference, and 1 game against each team in a division from the other conference. You then play the two teams from the other two divisions in your conference who finished with the same standing in their division. The opposing divisions rotate using the same pattern. Home and away alternates except for the similar division finisher games.

The schedule just allows for you to know what games are when.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So totally done with the Jets

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put the draft so late?

All part of the NFL's master evil plan for year round sports talk domination.

Late April to early May used to be dominated by the first 2 rounds of nba playoff basketball.

Not anymore starting this year.

Just look at the calendar year... Only 2 months aren't dominated by NFL talk.

January - NFL playoffs
    February - super bowl and it's aftermath
    March - NFL free agency / March madness
    April - NFL free agency /start of baseball
    May - NFL Draft /playoff basketball
    June - nba finals and nba free agency
    July - MLB
    August - December - NFL NFL NFL NFL and some more NFL... with some world series sprinkled in in October and college football Championships in December

If you want to dig deeper, there is even more things the NFL is trying to make A Thing. The Combine is in late February, universities have Pro days throughout march, the schedule is released in April (along with the ensuing W-L predictions). Training camps start in July if you're super desperate for news.

We already know all of the teams who play each other next year by the end of the regular season this year. It's always two games against each team in your division, 1 game against each team in a different division of your conference, and 1 game against each team in a division from the other conference. You then play the two teams from the other two divisions in your conference who finished with the same standing in their division. The opposing divisions rotate using the same pattern. Home and away alternates except for the similar division finisher games.

The schedule just allows for you to know what games are when.

Are you trying to argue that the sports media doesn't milk the schedule release for some talk time? :neutral_face:

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I still think Clowney is going to look slow and plodding in the NFL. He needs some work.

If he plays next to J.J. Watt he's going to look FANTASTIC because J.J. Watt demands triple teams at all times.
    PantsB wrote: »

Is he scout team eligible?

Also Tom Brady
    Screen-Shot-2014-04-21-at-1.56.25-PM-480x500.png

Young Tom Brady was the most broest bro.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=4291621

Not sure if this will show up right here but it is great. The question is if the Bucs should draft Manziel at 7 if still available or stick with their current QB situation. Only Minnesota and the Dakotas say they should skip him. Because they know he'd then be available for the Vikings!

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Rumor mill has the cowboys interested in Manziel...
    A match made in marketing heaven... football heaven though? IDK

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    http://deadspin.com/seahawks-announce-russell-wilson-is-getting-a-divorce-1566787943

Russell Wilson is getting divorced, surprisingly, I guess.

The real question is how the 49ers plan to respond to this.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Harbaugh's already flying her down to SF for movie and a dinner with Gabbert.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I guess schedules are out for the upcoming season. Lions start at home versus the Giants on Monday night and end the season playing AT Chicago and AT Green Bay in December. Have fun in the cold I guess.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The nfl added more flex weeks. From week 5 to 10 they can flex up to 2 games into Sunday night.

Carpy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I guess schedules are out for the upcoming season. Lions start at home versus the Giants on Monday night and end the season playing AT Chicago and AT Green Bay in December. Have fun in the cold I guess.

In other words, the Lions have to start 10-4.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Well wrong in what way?

I don't know about his projections- Insider and all- but I can go get his draft grades from far enough back to where we know exactly how they turned out. Say, his 2004 grades, or 2005, or 2006, or 2007.

His take on the 2005 Packers:
    Green Bay Packers: C
    The Packers had to take quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the first round. You just can't pass on the opportunity to get Brett Favre's heir apparent and give him some time to learn from one of the best passers ever, even though he won't help them win this year. Corner Nick Collins is a good athlete but very raw and was a reach in the second round, and while receiver Terrence Murphy is a nice player Green Bay didn't need a receiver. Safety Marviel Underwood was a solid pickup in the fourth round but linebacker Brady Poppinga might not be a good fit in the Packers' scheme. I like receiver Craig Bragg in the sixth round but there is just not enough defensive help in this class.

The 2007 Cardinals:
    Arizona Cardinals: GRADE: B-
    Once Joe Thomas was gone, the Cardinals had to make a decision whether to take Adrian Peterson or Levi Brown. Peterson would have been a luxury pick, which they couldn't afford to do, and Brown fills a hole. Arizona must improve its offensive line. There were quite a few teams that didn't think there was a lot that separated Brown from Thomas. Brown has a nasty streak and can play either tackle position. For the second straight year, Arizona took an underachieving defensive tackle from Michigan. Alan Branch has great physical skills but was an underachiever. He will either be a boom or a bust. Linebacker Buster Davis was a decent third-round pick, and Steve Breaston was a really nice choice in the fifth round because of his return skills and should pay dividends in the return game. Tight end Ben Patrick is a potential steal in the seventh round. He needs to work on his concentration and catching the ball, but Patrick could have gone in the third round and no one would have argued.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    wow niners/hawks will be 2 weeks apart wk 13 and 15
    this will be fun

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    http://deadspin.com/seahawks-announce-russell-wilson-is-getting-a-divorce-1566787943

Russell Wilson is getting divorced, surprisingly, I guess.

The real question is how the 49ers plan to respond to this.

Sad, I always thought his wife looked a little like sweet D.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Man I miss Nick Collins.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    this will be fun

Guh I hate that kind of division scheduling.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    this will be fun

Guh I hate that kind of division scheduling.

they just want one of the cities to burn down the other so they can move one of the teams to London
    conspiracy!

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!