As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's play the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG series (Sonic CD: Wacky Workbench/GOT THEM ALL)

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sonic CD

Intro (Euro Soundtrack)
Intro (US Soundtrack)
Level Select Code:
At the title screen, press [Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B]

DEBUG MODE:
At the title screen, press [Down, Down, Left, Right, A]. A music test screen will appear. Now, enter [PM12, DA11] and press and hold B. You'll see a picture of Tails with the text "SEE YOU NEXT GAME" appear.

8312oe3.jpg
Wacky Workbench Zone:
-X-Act 1
-X-Act 2
-X-Special Stage 7
-X-Act 3

Next: Stardust Speedway Zone

PREVIOUS ZONES:
SONIC CD:
Palmtree Panic Zone
Collision Chaos Zone
Tidal Tempest Zone:
-X-Act 1
-X-Special Stage 5
-X-Act 2
-X-Special Stage 6
-X-Act 3

Quartz Quadrant Zone:
-X-Act 1
-X-Act 2
-X-Act 3

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG:
Green Hill Zone
Marble Zone
Spring Yard Zone
Labyrinth Zone
Star Light Zone
Scrap Brain Zone
Ending (not by me)

FUN FACTS:
-Leave Sonic still for 9 minutes in Sonic CD. He'll say a special message to you, commit suicide, and you'll get a game over screen.

-Scrap Brain Zone was originally called Clock(W)ork Zone. The W sprite was never made.

-The background music for Star Light Zone is loosely based on "Kusuriyubi no Kesshin" by the famous J-Pop band Dreams come true. DCT did the music for sonic 1 and sonic 2.

-Labyrinth Zone original had a different background. It was more brown, and looked like a cave.

-Spring Yard Zone was originally going to be called "Sparkling Zone"

-Marble Zone originally had flying UFOs in the clouds. The art can still be found in-game.

-It took the dev team a full half year to create the iconic Green Hill Zone. It was completely scrapped and redone several times. The dev team knew they had to absolutely nail the visuals and level design as this would be the level that would hook the world on Sonic the Hedgehog.

CODES:
Sonic the Hedgehog

Level Select Code:
At the title screen, press [Up, Down, Left, Right, A+Start]

DEBUG MODE:
At the title screen, press [Up, C, Down, C, Left, C, Right, C, then press and hold A+Start]
You can use debug mode in addition to level select. Simply enter the level select code without pressing A+Start. Then enter the debug code. Press A+Start and you'll see the level select menu. Highlight the level you want to go into and press and hold A+Start.

EXTRA
SONIC CD
The plot to sonic CD is awesome. Every so many hundred of years, a small planet orbitting earth appears in this desert. The planet, aptly named "the little planet" is said to be the home of mysterious time gems known as the time stones. People who possess these stones are said to be able to manipulate time itself. Sonic, being the cocky asshole he is, decides to go to the little planet to see if he can outrun time itself. However, when he gets to the place where it should be, he sees that Dr. Robotnik has chained the little planet to earth, and is using the time stones to conquer the little planet, and then earth.

Sonic CD is awesome for many reasons. One of the reasons I like it so much is that, unlike other sonic games, you can actually see what happens if you "lose." I.E. if you don't stop robotnik, you can see what will happen. Each level begins like normal, but there are additional lamp posts labelled past and future. After collecting these lamp posts, you can time travel by maintaining a maximum speed for a set ammount of time. After you do so, you'll either travel forward or backwards in time, and the entire level (art, level structure, bad guys, traps, etc) change too. It's fucking ace.

Dr. Robotnik has traveled into the past and set up Egg Robo's (the things that turn animals and, in the case of Sonic CD, plants into robots) to speed up his process of taking over the planet. In addition, metal sonic is in each stage, scaring off the animals. If you don't travel to the past and destroy these egg robos, then the future is dark. Essentially, you've lost and Robotnik has won. Travel to the future in any normal sonic zone without freeing the past, and it'll be very dark.

I'll illustrate the differences:

8292rl0.jpg

This is all the same level, same location. Stardust speedway. Top left is the past. Top Right is the present. Bottom Left is the bad future. Bottom right is the good future.

So you have to travel to the past in each level, find the egg robo, destroy it, and destroy the metal sonic hollogram, in order to make the future good. I.E. "Sonic made a good future in Zone 1."

Act 3 always takes place in the future. Which future it takes place in depends on what you do in acts 1 and 2. Make good futures in acts 1 and 2, and act 3 will be a good future. Miss either act, and it's bad future.

Oh, and another neat tidbit about Sonic CD that's not immediately noticeable - Badniks age in Sonic CD. It's a pretty neat idea that really helps keep the whole "Robotnik is evil" theme running. Badniks that appear in the past will appear in the present in their normal locations. Except they'll be severely aged, as though Robotnik hasn't kept them in top shape. In the (bad) future, they're totally gone, and all remaining badniks (i.e. those from the present) appear aged.

Aged badniks look different, and sometimes act different. For example, this is Kumo-Kumo from the present:

kumokumoaiy3.gif

and this is the aged Kumo-Kumo:

kumokumobgt4.gif

The aged one doesn't jump as high and can't shoot web. Another rather depressing tidbit about aged badniks is that they all seem rather depressed. Their eyes are usually drawn in a saddened state:

unknown03aud9.gif vs unknown03bkt2.gif

antonajm2.gif vs antonbuk0.gif

batapyonavw2.gif vs batapyonbmm9.gif

Really kinda sad when you notice it.

Sonic CD contains the first appearance of Amy Rose (incorrectly named Sally in the US manual). It's also the only Sonic game produced by Naoto Oshima, the person who created Sonic the Hedgehog. And it's bar none my favorite game of the series. In my opinion, everything in the game is done to perfection. The art style, the level layout, the music, the intro and ending, everything. Sonic CD is Sonic perfection in my humble opinion.

TheSonicRetard on

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    logoen8.gif
    The Sonic the Hedgehog series is a franchise of video games released by Sega starring and named after its mascot character Sonic the Hedgehog. The series began in 1991 with the release of Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, in addition to an 8-bit version of the game for the Master System and Game Gear formats. Sonic was responsible for turning Sega into a leading video game company during the 16-bit era, and his first game soon replaced Altered Beast as the default pack-in game for the Mega Drive in North America and Europe. As of March 2007, the franchise has sold more than 45 million games copies.
    Source: Wiki

Blatently ripped off from the Let's Play mario thread, with mod approval, here's my version. We're gonna have one hell of a time.

How it works
    Everyday, I'll run through another zone. We'll make our way from the begining of the sonic series and end up with Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We'll go through the levels zone by zone. Each day, I'll upload a video of the current zone we're supposed to be going through.

Your job is to play along. So, for today, you're goal is to get through Greenhill Zone in Sonic 1. Tomorrow, Marble zone. And so forth.

How can you play?
    Sonic Mega Collections for the Xbox, PS2, GCN, or PC. Sonic Gems for the PS2 or GCN. VC or Xbox 360 Live Arcade. Or the good ol' sega genesis itself.

These will give you access to the world of sonic the hedgehog. in the case of mega collection and the VC, you can save your progress so you can play along. In the case of the other games, I'll post level select codes so you can jump to the current level we're playing.

What games will we play? In what order?
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic CD
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Knuckles Chaotix
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles

How are you doing this, and how can I join?
    I have an actual sega genesis/sega cd/32X sitting here with me, with all these games. I connect it to a VCR, which is sitting next to my PC. The VCR is connected to my PC via an ATI tv-wonder pro. I pop in a genesis cart, play a level, record it, then play the recording back through the VCR to my PC, capture it, then upload it to google video for you to enjoy. If you have a TV capture card, then by all means join in on the fun and upload your playtime!

Other
    This is supposed to be a fun thread. It's not for time trials or speed runs or any of that shit. I'm gonna be playing casually, not competitively. Meaning, I'm going to make 1 run through the level, and record it. If I die, I die. If I get hit, I get hit. You should play along the same way. Just go with the flow - the objective here is to take in the greatness of the series at a casual level.

DEBUG MODE!
    So, I realize that for some people, doing one zone a day is not very much work, and they might be tempted to go on without the rest of the thread. So to compensate, I present Sonic's debug mode. The idea is that when you're done playing a level, you can mess around in debug mode for a while to tide you over.

So what is debug mode? Debug mode is a special mode built into every sonic game which allows you to place any object in the game in a level. You can switch between playing a normal level and placing objects on the fly. Every 2D genesis sonic game has this mode, but the methods for reaching them is different for every game.

The controls for debug mode are simple. Press C to jump like normal. Press B to enter debug mode. While in debug mode, press A to place an object, and press B to cycle through objects. Also, while debug mode is enabled, press start to pause and then press C to enter slow-motion mode. Press A while paused to reset the game.

Debug mode is cool. You can basically play with the sonic engine in it. You can go anywhere. Do anything. You can sometimes see enemies and objects that weren't in the game (like enemy's from spring yard zone being placed in marble zone). And you can see data the way the game sees it. Occasionally you'll see odd graphics. The score and time start displaying genesis debug info. It's all really interesting. Oh, and you're invincible.

debugbn5.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm so pissed that Sega fucked up Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis.

It would have been so awesome to have a Game Boy Micro with Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World at any given time.

Arg.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No Master System version:FAIL. :lol:

That and the video isn't coming up...

I expected google video to upload quicker. 59 mb of 347 uploaded thus far. As soon as it finishes uploading, I'll post the link.

And if you guys want, we can do the SMS games.

I like 'em both, I guarantee a bunch of people who aren't from the UK haven't played them, so it would be kinda cool to do them.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2007
    I'm also going to add one fun fact per day. I'll try to make it about the level we're currently playing. By the end, we should have a lot of odd facts about sonic.

TheSonicRetard on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, I was so hoping that if anyone did a Sonic LP it would be you TSR. Anyone else just wouldn't have been right.

Gilder on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God I've been waiting for this since gilder started his Mario Lets Play
    THANK YOU TSR

Ohtsam on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesomesauce, I just replayed this on Live Arcade the other week, still love it after all these years.

Just got Sonic 2 (my personal favourite in the series), but I'll hold off until the relevant time and play along with this thread now!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is off-topic, but since the OP isn't posting in the other thread anymore I'll give it a whirl here:

TSR, how did your project to "save" Sonic go?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    This is off-topic, but since the OP isn't posting in the other thread anymore I'll give it a whirl here:

TSR, how did your project to "save" Sonic go?

As I said to the last guy who PMed me, "I've been busy"

leave it at that for now.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I recently finished both Sonic 1 and 2 on Live Arcade.

Still really good games. Held up pretty damn well.

Ranced on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think at the end of these Gilder and TSR are going to be obligated to fight each other over which series/mascot is better.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This thread will be made of win and breathe purest joy

Mr Bubbles on
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey, sounds awesome. I'd vote for leaving off the Master System/Game Gear games as I have no way to play them, but I'm selfish that way. Will this include Sonic CD?

I have Sonic 1, 2, and 3 on the VC, and if S3&K isn't up by the time we get there, that'll give me an excuse to buy another copy of Mega Collection, which got lost in my last move.

Can't wait to play through Green Hill Zone for the ten billionth time when I get home.

shyguy on
    edited September 2007
    Video Link added.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think I'll be up for this.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesome but you know it would be +10 awesome if you also did commentary while playing since the amount of information you know about sonic is near insane levels.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited September 2007
    Awesome but you know it would be +10 awesome if you also did commentary while playing since the amount of information you know about sonic is near insane levels.

I'll start trying.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'll start trying.

Also, try not to sound like the guy in the mario videos.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ahahaha on that run through you found things I didn't even know were hidden! Despite playing through those levels a kajillion times.

Man, this thread is going to be awesome, great stuff TSR.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Totally on board. Good idea Mr TSR.

Never knew the level select cheat - bloody hell!

Lave II on
    edited September 2007
    Really?

I'm gonna start posting debug codes so people can fiddle around after they're done playing the day's level.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Although I've played them a million times, I'll be totally going along with this. I own five different versions of Sonic 1 (Megadrive, PSP, Mega Collection on Cube, VC and GENS emulator), not including a bunch of user-created versions like the one where you can play as Espio, Mighty, Shadow etc. ;)

Nice to see you consider Knuckles Chaotix to be one of the true original canon. It's generally a divided opinion amongst fans. I really like it. Are you going for all Chaos Emeralds/Time Stones on this run?

Lightning Shield! on
    edited September 2007
    Although I've played them a million times, I'll be totally going along with this. I own five different versions of Sonic 1 (Megadrive, PSP, Mega Collection on Cube, VC and GENS emulator), not including a bunch of user-created versions like the one where you can play as Espio, Mighty, Shadow etc. ;)

Nice to see you consider Knuckles Chaotix to be one of the true original canon. It's generally a divided opinion amongst fans. I really like it. Are you going for all Chaos Emeralds/Time Stones on this run?

oh dude, I get all the emeralds every time I play.

KC is alright. It's one of my least favorite sonic games. It's special stages are pretty hard... occasionally don't get all the Chaos Rings, so I hope I'm up to my game when I get to it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm so pissed that Sega fucked up Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis.

It would have been so awesome to have a Game Boy Micro with Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World at any given time.

Arg.

Isn't there a version of the original Genesis Sonic on the GBA?

Oh I see. That's what you were talking about, and it sucked. Which is ass, I was thinking about picking it up :(

I KAN REED

OH GOD. I just watched a google video of the GBA version. There's $20 not wasted.

Khavall on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow. That was pretty much the smoothest playthrough of GHZ I've ever seen. Not that I've watched speed runs or anything, but it was quite fluid. My own runs are much more jerky and chaotic.

Frem on
    edited September 2007

I'll start trying.

What you could do is record commentary while watching the video. Like, open the video up in media player or something and record it while you speak over it. That way you can give us all the neat facts you know without screwing up your game.

Gilder on
    edited September 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

I'll start trying.

What you could do is record commentary while watching the video. Like, open the video up in media player or something and record it while you speak over it. That way you can give us all the neat facts you know without screwing up your game.

No, I can talk while playing games easily. I'm really good at doing two things at once. I can actually play sonic with one hand and smoke a cigarette with the other at the same time.

TheSonicRetard on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You bastard. What is it with LPs being stolen from my grasp?

Can I call the co-op of Sonic 3? My sister has been bugging me to set it up so we could do that for a few months. And it's starting to get on my nerves.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2007

I'll start trying.

No, I can talk while playing games easily. I'm really good at doing two things at once. I can actually play sonic with one hand and smoke a cigarette with the other at the same time.

Heh alright then. I think that should be your challenge for the next video. Play it with one hand while you smoke with the other. And also provide interesting fun facts. Also you should play Ecco with your toes at the same time.

Gilder on
    edited September 2007

I'll start trying.

Heh alright then. I think that should be your challenge for the next video. Play it with one hand while you smoke with the other. And also provide interesting fun facts. Also you should play Ecco with your toes at the same time.

One trick I've been working on is playing sonic 2 as sonic and tails at the same time. I'm not perfect at it yet - tails still falls behind a lot. But there are a lot of levels where I can play through in tandem perfectly. Bosses are also much easier.

EDIT: And I can play sonic 1 with my toes too, haha.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited September 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    You bastard. What is it with LPs being stolen from my grasp?

Can I call the co-op of Sonic 3? My sister has been bugging me to set it up so we could do that for a few months. And it's starting to get on my nerves.
    I have an actual sega genesis/sega cd/32X sitting here with me, with all these games. I connect it to a VCR, which is sitting next to my PC. The VCR is connected to my PC via an ATI tv-wonder pro. I pop in a genesis cart, play a level, record it, then play the recording back through the VCR to my PC, capture it, then upload it to google video for you to enjoy. If you have a TV capture card, then by all means join in on the fun and upload your playtime!

TheSonicRetard on
    edited September 2007
    Lol I almost got killed by robotnik
    this is gonna be hell

Ohtsam on
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    OH GOD. I just watched a google video of the GBA version. There's $20 not wasted.

I just did the same. What the fuck was that? How on earth did they get a Genesis game to run so badly on the GBA?

shyguy on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How are you all getting the video onto your computer?

not 'how' as in I don't understand the options, 'how' as in how are each of you going about it? this seems like a lot of fun and I'm curious as to what methods exist.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited September 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    How are you all getting the video onto your computer?

not 'how' as in I don't understand the options, 'how' as in how are each of you going about it? this seems like a lot of fun and I'm curious as to what methods exist.
    How are you doing this, and how can I join?

TheSonicRetard on
    edited September 2007
    Am I correct in assuming you'll be playing sonic 3 locked into sonic and knuckles?

Ohtsam on
    edited September 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming you'll be playing sonic 3 locked into sonic and knuckles?

you are correct.

TheSonicRetard on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm totally doing this.

Expect to see my own video with subtitle commentary soon. :)

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Brilliant. It amuses me that I've been playing these games since 1992, and I still somehow didn't know there was an invincibility box so close to the boss fight. :lol: Live and learn. This gives me an excuse to dig out Sonic Mega Collection tonight and play through Sonic 1 again. :^:

Norfair on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh wow, just saw a video of sonic gba. Are you serious?

Also, could u really suspend data in the Sonic Mega Collection version of Sonic 1? And is there a current-gen alternative for playing Knuckles Chaotix preferably for Nintendo consoles?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg