As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2014 Cosplay

arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR CommanderRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in PAX West
Welcome to the PAX Prime 2014 costume thread!

Yes, it has already begun!! Work on a new PAX costume starts as soon as the recovery from the last PAX is over!

What is everyone planning on doing for their costumes for 2014?
Any big ideas or even just concepts of what you might want to do?
Games or other things coming out or are already out that you might want to base a costume off of?
Got any questions about how to make something or need opinions and advice?
Want to show off your work and post pics?
Find more members for your costume group or talk about a costume contest?

You have found the right place, now post to your hearts content!
Can't wait to see everyone's awesome work this year!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
385619_4094805042205_987774834_n.jpg
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please keep in mind this post will be updated as often as possible to provide current information.

FAQS:
Are there really that many people that cosplay for PAX?
There are enough of us that you are reading this thread!

I'm not sure if I want to dress up, what do you think?
Dressing up is a personal choice. No one will judge you either way.

Does my costume have to be video game related?
Not at all! There are a wide variety of costumes from all themes in geek culture from Doctor Who to Power Rangers, anime to video games! If you want to wear a costume then do it!

I am a beginner at costume making, any advice?
Many people will have many different things to say about this. At the heart of it all is to stick to your comfort zone. Never sewn a thing in your life? Don't make a full Princess Peach gown. Start out with something simple enough that you can make it, and make it well enough for YOU to be proud of. Don't get intimidated by others. Many people who do the large scale things have been at this a while. Also, nothing wrong with taking some pieces from your own wardrobe or the store and using them.

I have a cool prop weapon, can I bring it!? (this is the biggest one of all so please read on carefully!)
Please refer to these rules first and use common sense. If you ABSOLUTELY cannot find the answer to your question then please put them in a message to AaronC who is the security manager of PAX.
Do not flood him with questions if your answer can be found here!!!

NEW PAX ATTENDEE COSTUME WEAPON POLICY
The (NEW!!!) official policy is as follows:
Weapons Check Policies

All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth (on the 4th floor by the large set of escalators) as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:

It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)

Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged.

What kind of restrictions on clothing are there?
As an attendee the only restriction is that your genitalia is not showing (for either sex) and for women your breasts should be covered as well. If you (as an attendee, not a paid employee of an exhibitor) want to wear the equivalent of a bikini, you can.

The restrictions for clothing apply to people working for Exhibitors (do not worry about these rules unless you are working for an Exhibitor, in that case, please refer to your employer).

544681_3349370446806_768019308_n.jpg

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND IF GOING IN COSTUME:
*See weapons policy and peace bonding sections above for prop weapons (this really can't be stressed enough!)

*You will want to wear comfortable shoes. Shoes are required at all times anyways. Even if they do not match this is a HUGE deal. If you don't think you can walk all day in them, then don't do it.

*You will most likely get stopped for photos (especially if your costume is good). If you don't feel like it then simply tell the person that you are not doing pictures right now but to come find you later, the main thing is to be polite. Keep in mind also that some people are fans of "ninja photos", they walk by and nonchalantly snap a photo of you while you are simply standing there or eating, or...anything really. Once again be polite and sometimes you may even offer to take a nice photo for them (without your mouth full of food!).

*When taking pictures try to move out of the crowd and off to the side where there is less traffic (I am sure the person wanting the picture will also understand).

*The convention center will be hot. Keep this in mind especially for costumes with layers. Fake layers (fake collars, half sleeves that are sewn into a shirt to make it look like layers etc.) are all neat tricks to saving you from sweating like crazy.

*Weight of a costume can be a big issue. Think about it practically. If you can't carry the weight of a costume on you for the time that you will be in the center then don't wear it. Try to lighten up the load with hollow structures and the like. Remember that costumes don't always have to be the exact proportions of the original to look good.

*Costume size can also be a problem. Keep in mind that you will be wearing this into a convention center full of tons of people. No one wants to get smacked in the face by your giant Jesse from Pokemon wig or by your Final Fantasy bigger than a person sword.

*Swag is a very common thing, try to have a plan of where you will keep all your awesome shirts, buttons, magnets, games, etc. Matching bags are always a popular option. Having a buddy to help carry your stuff is also another option. Please note, there is no coat check or spare room to keep stuff in for attendees. It all depends on personal preference but is something to keep in mind.

*Freshness can be a little lacking by the third day of being in costume (this is not meant to offend anyone but this should be addressed). Try to change at least any underlayers to your costume everyday. If this can't happen then try to hang up the costume in your room for the night so that it can at least air out (febreeze isn't a bad option either). Wear deodorant and any other freshening toiletries that you prefer and shower each day to keep yourself and your costume nice and fresh.

*Finally, it is a good idea to carry a few safety pins (or your costume equivalent) with you to make on the fly repairs while at the convention center. Accidents happen, especially the more people you add to a situation. It would be a shame for someone to step on the hem of Kaylee's Fluffy Layer Cake Dress and have it rip and leave you exposed.

261551_4340364141029_785616448_n.jpg

GROUPS:
If you have a group page that you would like to have posted here then please PM me!
Keep in mind that most groups make a Facebook page to connect and organize through since things can get lost easily on this thread.

Mass Effect
(This is a closed Facebook group, if you would like membership then please make sure that you either message me (arwen_doll16_LOTR) here on the PA forums, or make your albums with your Mass Effect costume progress public so that an admin will approve you.)

GROUP MEETUP TIMES AND LOCATIONS:
TBA

CONTESTS:
S2 Games is running a cosplay contest at PAX Prime 2014.
There will be a masquerade walk Saturday, August 30 @ 12pm.
S2 Games will also be host to a Cosplay Competition at PAX Prime hosted Saturday, August 30th @ 2pm
The details for the competition can be found Here
Check the link for further details as the event gets closer and to sign up!

I should go.
534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
arwen_doll16_LOTR on

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Sadly I will not be attending next year. :(
    All cosplay progress is put on hold for my future move to Seattle.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    The next costume I am making is Fizz from League. I am not sure if he will be at East or Prime though :3

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Hello all, AirWolf (aka AaronC) here. There has been an update to the PAX weapons policy. If you go to : http://prime.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies you will notice that the requirement that a costume item does not look like a firearm has been dropped.

After consideration of our security concerns and the wishes of our attendees we have dropped that requirement. All costume weapons will still need to be tagged, regardless of what it is, however costume firearms that look real will be allowed as long as they are not:

Airsoft regardless of their ability to work
    Nerf guns if they still work
    Pellet guns or other guns that fire anything.

Have fun cosplaying.

• MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    Hmm my league of legends one next year might be gangsta twitch or if i'm feeling masochistic maybe try and do rumble. Otherwise i'm already working on a Bert/Mark from the old NES game Monster Party and if i manage to get 3 days again i might try something from bioshock burial at sea.

• CaptaimManiCaptaimMani Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be my RingMaster from FlyFF for next years prime :) I would be my Blade, but they show a bit too much skin for my tastes... lol.

edited December 2013
    I am thinking about doing a second league costume. If fizz goes well, I may do varus or yasou.

BombClancy on
    itweet
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I'm currently thinking about doing a steampunk airship pirate, since I'll also be able to use that for another con I'm going to after PAX. I was wondering about the suitability of using a practice foil/epee as a base for a prop. It doesn't fall under the "real sword" category, nor is it sharp in anyway, and it flexes under the lightest pressure.
    It's basically a very flexble thin (1/4"x1/8") piece of metal, with no sharp edges, plus a rubber tip for extra safety (not pointy underneath).
    s1313.photobucket.com/user/mSaldek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-12-06%2012.02.44_zpswbeidf8p.png.html

@AaronC What is your take on this?

Saldek on
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
    It doesn't fall under the real sword category, although it does fall under the "real sword" category.

That was a joke.

I don't have a problem with a practice foil as long as the blunt tip remains on at all times (I'm assuming its a fixed tip?) If the tip is fixed then no worries.

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As I was packing up for my move to Seattle (will officially be callings it home tomorrow!) I came across my old Reaper costume and felt inspired to make a variation of HUNK from his "Mr. Death" costume as seen in Mercenaries 3D:
    hunk-2.jpg

Here's what I threw together off my existing Umbrella soldier outfit:
    nyqo.jpg

Thinking about ordering two Edward Kenway (AC4) hidden blades to equip myself with since HUNK supposedly has wrist blades in this outfit.

Sharkey1337 on
  • LilineLiline Registered User new member
    Hello there! I was forwarded this link from a kind staff member from PAX Australia.

I'm hoping to attend as X-23! :)

If I attend PAX Prime, am I allowed to make my X-23 (Wolverine) claws aluminum based?

I couldn't see anything about metal in the weapons policy, other than it should not be sharp.

If the aluminum claws were not sharp, would that be OK?

The claws look similar to this (but would be made of aluminum metal):
    http://martindnoa.deviantart.com/art/How-I-made-the-claws-of-X-23-and-Wolverine-305114488

Thank you kindly,

Liline

Aluminum "claws" by themselves would not be banned.
    All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:

It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
    It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
    It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)

Under our rules I would allow your "claws" if they meet the following conditions:

1. They have no sharp edge.
    2. The tip is blunt enough not to pierce.

From your picture they do not look sharp or that they come to a point, if that is the case then they would be allowed.

• CODEMAN23CODEMAN23 Registered User new member
    Hello there, this year I will be dressing up as a Mandalorian Medic like last year. But this year I will also be going as a Survey Scout from Attack on Titan. Blades will either be foam or plastic.

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    I wasn't going to break out the Carl for the fifth year in a row, but the Seahawks won the Super Bowl! I just have to show up, now. (That, and the real Carl did us a solid by picking us to win... his official stone cold lock of the century of the week for the Super Bowl has never been wrong.) Seattle's Carl returns.

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    I'm hopeful that this is the year I finally go as Professor Layton :)

Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    My husband and I want to go as Leon and Ada from RE2 (RPD outfit and short red dress/leggings). :) We were toying with the idea of going as normal Leon and Ada for one day then "beat up/I got shot/fell down the lava pit" the next.

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • LefuuleiLefuulei Just an Average User Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    At this moment in time, even though I have my Princess Peach costume in the closet and she might be broken out for a day if I'm feeling adventurous/don't have anything planned to do for panels/expo hall. Otherwise I'm going as a Red or Green P4 Vanilla Robes Magicka Wizard with Level Zoom magick I mean what.
    100px-Wizard_Vanilla4.jpg?version=695be1009a63f1535125b7de9a907d56 (But Green obvs.)

This is provide I can secure tickets but yes.

Community sourced List of Food places near the Seattle Convention Center: Here
    PAX 2014 Tickets [X] Got em!
    PAX 2014 cosplay [ ] (Magicka Wizard)

PAXen attended:

Attempting to communicate through the Morphogenetic field....
  • FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    The boyfriend and I will be returning this year come hell or high water, and with my new SCA obsession in full-swing, we're planning on doing a somewhat historically accurate, gender swapped Link and Zelda. Lots of velvet and puffy sleeves, aw yis.

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • XadrixnaXadrixna Registered User regular
    I was actually thinking of a few things. I just don't know which idea to go with. a Zelda costume was high on the list because my boyfriend is obsessed and I love the game series as well. But I've always wanted to do Jessica Rabbit. Need to see if I get tix first and then start deciding what I'm definitely doing.

• Ski-Doo MikeSki-Doo Mike Registered User new member
    edited April 2014
    Hello all! I have a couple questions about my upcoming cosplay and prop weapons, but I'm too scared to e-mail the security guy about it... :s I'm planning on cosplaying as Aiden Pearce from Watch_Dogs. Here's what I want to know:
    1. I have a prop gun that I was planning on bringing that absolutely cannot fire any projectiles (it's a film prop weapon), but it still looks realistic. Should I orange-tip it, or can I bring it in raw? I prefer realism, but I'm totally fine with the orange tip as well.
    2. I also have a telescoping baton similar to the one Aiden uses. It's not sharp or anything, but it's steel. Am I able to bring it?
    No matter what, I plan on bringing any sort of weapon-looking item to the info booth to get it checked. Thanks in advance!
    EDIT: I'm thinking about also doing Booker DeWitt, which reinforces point #1. However, it would be for an old-timey revolver rather than a modern semi-automatic pistol.

Ski-Doo Mike on
  • BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    Dear kittenberries, I just necrobumped the old photo sharing thread by accident after clicking on the link here.

You do not need an orange tip on a fake replica firearm that can not fire anything.

A baton is fine, don't hit anyone with it.

I ordered my wig and found a tutorial for cheap and easy fangs :smiley:
    This costume is underway. Also, I am giving myself brownie points for getting it started in May and not the week before PAX:3

itweet
    I have a prop gun that I was planning on bringing that absolutely cannot fire any projectiles (it's a film prop weapon), but it still looks realistic. Should I orange-tip it, or can I bring it in raw? I prefer realism, but I'm totally fine with the orange tip as well.

May I ask where you get your film prop weapons? I can only find airsoft guns sadly, which is a big no no.

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Hello all, assuming I get tickets I plan on recyling my Vox Populi costume from SDCC, however since i'd probably be flying I wanted to know how the airports handle prop weapons, since my costume comes with a fake rifle I made. Picture provided if it helps. Also they're a bit large than I expected...
    tumblr_mq80qwINgM1sb0j7po4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mq80qwINgM1sb0j7po5_1280.jpg

I've already had it at my last Pax, so I know security was cool, however I took the train to Pax 2012 and I drove to SDCC.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • alili567alili567 Registered User new member
    This will be my first time cosplaying (if I can do it justice - if it's not up to standards I'll work on it more and wait till next year). But I'm going to attempt Yda from FFXIV. Does anyone have any tips to share? I'm excited to do it but also super nervous about it.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    alili567 wrote: »
    This will be my first time cosplaying (if I can do it justice - if it's not up to standards I'll work on it more and wait till next year). But I'm going to attempt Yda from FFXIV. Does anyone have any tips to share? I'm excited to do it but also super nervous about it.
    Last PAX was my first cosplay. It was amazing. Even if it's not as perfect as you'd like, I say do it. (I was trying to work on the hem of my dress in the car on the drive up to Seattle. I didn't have enough time and by the end of one day my hem had half way fallen out. Not to mention it was the first dress I had sewn and the waist was at my hips... And my giant candy cane had lost half its paint. Despite those issues it was still an amazing experience and I'm glad I did it.)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • FidchelFidchel Registered User regular

First, relax. Cosplay is fun! Second, Yda...nice mix of simple and ambitious. I would choose mask materials and construction carefully, as that blindfold could get very annoying over the course of the convention. I think you might want to use a heavily textured upholstery vinyl with a felt backing, then add grommets so you can see through it and mimic the round bits. And have a seeing-eye person around to help you out, because even with holes, that thing is going to be a nuisance to get around in. Shirt and shorts, I would alter Goodwill finds. The shirt's trim could be either more upholstery vinyl or suede cloth for the deep V. There are tutorials for boot tops out there, and I'd again recommend red upholstery vinyl and acrylic paint, lined with felt or something non-scratchy. For the belt and goggles, craft foam and white glue are your friend, and again there's lots of tutorials out there. Oh, and for the designs on the sleeves, I've had great luck with stenciling on fabric using acrylic paint mixed with a fabric medium. Hope the suggestions help get you started!

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Ski-Doo MikeSki-Doo Mike Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    Thank you AaronC for clarifying! I'll be sure to be responsible and not do anything stupid. :)
    May I ask where you get your film prop weapons? I can only find airsoft guns sadly, which is a big no no.
    Sorry for the late reply. I get my props from historicreplicaguns.com/. Useful for both filmmaking and cosplaying!

Ski-Doo Mike on
    Sorry for the late reply. I get my props from historicreplicaguns.com/. Useful for both filmmaking and cosplaying!

Sweet, thanks! Sadly no M4, but been dying to find a good 1911 replica!

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Remember you'll be on your feet allot, so try and get a good pair of shoes/insoles to go with the costume. If you can try and wear your costume for an hour or so around the house to see how it feels even better, and try and break in a new pair of shoes/insoles the week before. My fiance found out how uncomfortable the shoes were for her tuxedo mask costume the hard way.

Also keep in mind you might be caring a bag with you for swag, so make sure it fits with your overall look or just blends well, for example said tuxedo mask costume had a black handbag the was kept under the cape. Good luck with your costume, looks like a good concept!

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I shall be bringing my Winter King Lookouts costume from PAX East, only this time with the proper shirt, and Weapons!

I'm getting proper swords made for photoshoots, but they are making convention-safe wooden replicas so I can wander about with them in. A little silver spray paint and they should be good enough.

I think Ninjanun will be doing a Daughters cosplay, and I'd love to meet up with anyone else doing Eyrewood stuff.

• NymphodorahNymphodorah SeattleRegistered User regular
    So I know it's not game related, but I just finished a pretty adorable Ewok costume. I may bring it along.

It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
    Twitter: ACatlett206
    Battletag: Tonks#1448
    Steam/Xbox: Nymphodorah
    Tumblr: thenerdy-narwhal
  • hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    I Did a Guru Guru Costume, aka the windmill hut guy from Zelda, for Sakura-Con and I'll be bringing this 2.0, going to make some moving parts should be pretty awesome

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • PlanetsideCosplayPlanetsideCosplay Aaron Thompson / Last Oryx Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I am learning to worbla XD results may vary. XDDDDDD

mod edit: removed link

zerzhul on
  • SpiralSuicideSpiralSuicide Registered User regular
    This will be my 3rd PAX. As always there will be Saints Day for the group I go with. We are trying to put together some Killing Floor silliness. (chicken suits anyone?) I may even attempt some Death Prophet if I have the time. Sn0wman may also make an appearance. We'll see how the next couple months go!

• tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    I know I'd like to make a suit of armor for PAX if I end up cosplaying this year, I just haven't decided which one yet. Definitely something fantasy inspired (Game of Thrones? Skyrim? Dragon Age?)

Considering The Hound or Rhaeger (so I can bedazzle a dragon on the chest piece)

Twitter: @tea_bird
    tea_bird wrote: »
    I know I'd like to make a suit of armor for PAX if I end up cosplaying this year, I just haven't decided which one yet. Definitely something fantasy inspired (Game of Thrones? Skyrim? Dragon Age?)

Considering The Hound or Rhaeger (so I can bedazzle a dragon on the chest piece)

Well with Inquisition hitting in October you should totally do a Femquisitor based on the sweet armor they've shown off.

• tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    tea_bird wrote: »

Well with Inquisition hitting in October you should totally do a Femquisitor based on the sweet armor they've shown off.
    I was considering that, actually.

Twitter: @tea_bird
  • minisplatminisplat Registered User regular
    If I can't think of a new idea I'll use my favorite past-PAX outfit: Companion Cube

passes - flight - hotel - anticipation

Don't Panic.
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    BSG Viper Pilot with a couple friends who are doing other BSG outfits.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays