As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EA Confirms MySims For Wii, DS

• FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only preview I've seen so far suggested it lacked a little in things to do compared to something like Animal Crossing. This has me a little worried. Since I love Animal Crossing and The Sims I'm looking into purchasing this, but I'll have to wait and see what the majority of reviews say.
    This is weird to me, since Animal Crossing contains no building/item editor, which is very substantial. What sort of things are big enough in AC that you'd really miss them? Festivals? Fruit picking? Paying off loans?

I think they were complaining about it just being building houses and items, they wanted more freedom to do what they wanted. Course, I have no idea how long they played.. or how much their previews suck since I don't generally read previews. (I was the one that said, compared to Animal Crossing or something, they just complained about a lack of freedom).

But it's good to know the first reviews are positive. Now I just need to find some to read and decide for myself if I want this or not.

Fantasyrogue on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Honestly, I tend to find EGM's reviews pretty reliable.

I'm still planning to give this a rental, though, because a)I've been looking forward to it and b)all the other reviews I see on gamerankings are pretty high.

TheySlashThem on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I stopped reading reviews (or at least, giving them any real consideration) when Chibi Robo was widely reviewed as a chore game.
    However. I am not sure if this is the kind of game I'd buy totally blind. Seems like an awful lot can go wrong, as all I know is it's uber cute and the building of things is substantial, and that's about it.
    Going to be relying on some of my friends who have similar tastes to buy/rent it and either give me a whirl or discuss in detail with me (I'm looking at you, Sporky).

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gametrailers review just went up. Probably the only site that does good video reviews.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My girlfriend is drooling over the DS version.

Here's hoping it turns out decent.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm excited for the Wii version but don't expect the DS version to be anything other than a hollow shell knock off. I could be wrong!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, I guarantee you that if my girlfriend had a Wii she'd get that version, but pretty much the DS being the only gaming thing she has she's down to it as her option.

And yes I'm responsible for buying her the DS.

Also...

Fuck, this comes out the same day as Sonic Rush Adventure.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And Freshly Picked Tingle's Rose-Coloured Rupee Land, if you live in this country.

Xagarath on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    And Freshly Picked Tingle's Rose-Coloured Rupee Land, if you live in this country.

Nu-uh. My Sims is next week. Tingle is sat on my door mat waiting for me to get home right now.

Or I kill a postman.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • badfishbadfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So this comes out tomorrow right?

I know there is no multiplayer, but can you make multiple characters and take turns playing in the same town like in Animal Crossings? It would seem pretty obvious that you can, I just leave nothing to chance anymore.

badfish on
    "What you had there is what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm or a Class 5 full-roaming vapor."
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    badfish wrote: »
    So this comes out tomorrow right?

I know there is no multiplayer, but can you make multiple characters and take turns playing in the same town like in Animal Crossings? It would seem pretty obvious that you can, I just leave nothing to chance anymore.

It doesn't look like it. There's some rumors some kind of download in the future will give some kind of multiplayer tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I understand why people are comparing this to Animal Crossing, but the focus is obviously completely different.
    Animal Crossing is about getting to know a world and MySims is about making one. I'm pretty excited for this game because I know I'll be able to sink way too much time into the editors (spore lite anyone?). The gameplay outside of that might not be quite so interesting though.

Any word on whether or not you can change townies appearances? I need at least one tranny in my town, damn it!

Skelly B on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My biggest problem with the Sims series of games when I played them was all the maintenance that you had to with your Sims in terms of money, physical needs, etc. That sort of thing wore on me, personally.

The fact that this takes away that one particular issue makes me interested.

I just wish it wasn't coming out the same week as Eternal Sonata.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God DAMN my car for breaking down yesterday. That's $200 I don't get to spend on this game. :(

urahonky on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    Gametrailers review just went up. Probably the only site that does good video reviews.

I know it was generally middle-of-the-road in its score, but all I kept hearing was "Lego-like construction" and I was SOLD.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is this the commercial they're showing in US?

Click here for cute overdose

Welp, kids and families are probably going to buy this just because.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow.

I think this is the first time in a long time that a commercial has sold me on a game.

Its just... so freaking cute.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited September 2007
    IN STORES 9/20?!?!?

I wanted it tomorrow. :(

Magic Pink on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm... my typical Sims gameplay:

Spend 5-6 hours designing stuff. Download tons of custom content. Play with mods to customize my neighbourhood as much as possible. Eventually start the game and get bored by the actual gameplay within 2 hours.

Yesss, I do think MySims will be more my style.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I actually hate the building/renovating part the most in the Sims games - I guess that's why I never really got into any Sims or Animal Crossing games.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    I actually hate the building/renovating part the most in the Sims games - I guess that's why I never really got into any Sims or Animal Crossing games.

That's actually one of the things that I liked the best from The Sims, just because it's so simple. Big boxes with a walled-off bedroom and bathroom are fine to start with if you're having trouble designing.

jothki on
    edited September 2007
    Well, I just looked at the strategy guide at EB and yep, zero multiplayer. That kind of blows.

Magic Pink on
    edited September 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Well, I just looked at the strategy guide at EB and yep, zero multiplayer. That kind of blows.

Ugh... unsold on the game now.

<edit>

So if my wife and I wanted to take turns playing the game. We would have to use the same toon in order to play at the same village?

badfish on
    "What you had there is what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm or a Class 5 full-roaming vapor."
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What kind of multiplayer were you looking for? And when was the last Sim multiplayer?

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    What kind of multiplayer were you looking for? And when was the last Sim multiplayer?

Sorry, I just edited the above post...

I just wanted something like animal crossing where anyone who played the game could have their own toon. That was always the fun my wife and I had with wild world. Just seeing what each other had done while the other was away.

If the fragments of information I've pieced together read true, that is not an option in this game... ?

badfish on
    edited September 2007
    No, you have to make seperate towns and they'll never interact with each other.

I got the game and... well, just looking at the manual there really doesn't seem to be much to do in the game. Just build stuff to certain specifications. And you only get to make ONE sim, yourself. I'll try it tonight but I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up going back.

Magic Pink on
  • RoofusRoofus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can imagine this would be a ton of fun. One of the on-the-go, hand held games I have ever had the most fun with was the Sims game for the Nokia Ngage. I ended up never playing anything else...not that there was a ton to play...but it was a lot of fun.

Roofus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I got the game and... well, just looking at the manual there really doesn't seem to be much to do in the game. Just build stuff to certain specifications. And you only get to make ONE sim, yourself. I'll try it tonight but I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up going back.

So is this more or less like the PS2 versions then?

jothki on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I stopped reading reviews (or at least, giving them any real consideration) when Chibi Robo was widely reviewed as a chore game.
    However. I am not sure if this is the kind of game I'd buy totally blind. Seems like an awful lot can go wrong, as all I know is it's uber cute and the building of things is substantial, and that's about it.
    Going to be relying on some of my friends who have similar tastes to buy/rent it and either give me a whirl or discuss in detail with me (I'm looking at you, Sporky).
    I don't think I'm getting it, it sounds too polarizing to gamble on at the moment. I'll wait for more impressions. I think I'm doing the same with Dewy, lots of take-it-or-leave-it Wii games now.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Got the DS game and played it for a few hours.

It's pretty shallow, but at the same time entertaining enough to keep going, and I suspect the options I'll get further on will open up drastically. Up till now I've been pottering around town doing things for the inhabitants, setting up my home and customising my dude. There doesn't seem to be the building-block style customisation of furniture as seen in the Wii version, and on the whole seems very... un-Sims-like, I guess. Still fun though, and as I said earlier I'm reasonably sure that once I get a few more quests/tasks done more options will become available. Also, the game allows you to use the wi-fi connection to send other players clothing patterns and trial copies of the game.

Suriko on
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I'm playing the Wii version and it's actually really fun. I like collecting all the Essences but I wish there was more to the game. Mostly it's"Talk to Sim, build what they want". Since it's an EA Sims game I imagaine ther'll be lots of expansions. Like, weekly. You also have 5 Star Levels to get to and you increase your level by doing things for the Sims in your town. But they seem to go up really fast.

Two problems: the music is terrible and the load times are ABYSMAL. The game is constantly loading even for small animations and the whole game freezes while it happens. It's especially noticable when you first start the game up.

Magic Pink on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Two problems: the music is terrible and the load times are ABYSMAL. The game is constantly loading even for small animations and the whole game freezes while it happens. It's especially noticable when you first start the game up.

Yeah, these two hold true for the DS version too. I'm still a little bummed that there's no local two-player co-op goodness as well, as it would've been fun slumming with a friend around your little town. All in all, it's a fun game, but there's a lot of wasted potential.

Suriko on
    edited September 2007
    Suriko wrote: »

Yeah, these two hold true for the DS version too. I'm still a little bummed that there's no local two-player co-op goodness as well, as it would've been fun slumming with a friend around your little town. All in all, it's a fun game, but there's a lot of wasted potential.

I think they have a lot more stuff planned. They didn't want to throw it all in one game because then they can't sell expansions. But this game won't suck in the Sims crowd because they're used to having so much more to do.

Magic Pink on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Loading on this game is killing my wii's drive! Anyone else having a problem with constant drive thrashing? No other games I have suffer from this (I was worried my drive was dying) or do I just have a dodgy disc? The game's for the girlfriend so I haven't done much other than build a giant house from simply building blocks, put a flamingo on a pole on the top of it and paint each wall a different colour.

Oh and I named my town "CrapCentral" and my character "Big Whore". Yes, I'm childish.

::Edit:: Also, resolution of any still pictures is pretty poor, I don't think they've redesigned some of the backgrounds for the Wii (from the DS). Trauma Centre had a similar problem (The map screens were majorly blocky)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How's the actual building-building on the DS?

Janson on
    edited September 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Loading on this game is killing my wii's drive! Anyone else having a problem with constant drive thrashing? No other games I have suffer from this (I was worried my drive was dying) or do I just have a dodgy disc? The game's for the girlfriend so I haven't done much other than build a giant house from simply building blocks, put a flamingo on a pole on the top of it and paint each wall a different colour.

It's not an error, the game just constantly loads. It has to load every piece of furniture and the all the patterns on each block in that piece.

I named my town Qwertyburg and my sim is Aunty Hell. She looks like an uber nerd old woman, she's really cool.

Magic Pink on
    edited September 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    How's the actual building-building on the DS?

I thought they took it out?

Magic Pink on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I don't think you could tell anything by looking thru the manual... its like 6 pages long. I'm pretty sure they expect you to pick up most stuff in-game.

From what I can tell, its a mix between Animal Crossing, TheSims, and maybe a touch of Harvest Moon.

But yeah, digging and planting trees, chopping down dead ones. Your character uses the Sim language for casual conversation, but if there is anything plot-driver, then actual dialogue boxes pop up.

My wife and I spent some time with it last night, it was okay. I'm a little tired of Animal Crossing Wild World, and this was a great step up, from what I could tell.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited September 2007
    Kor wrote: »

I don't think you could tell anything by looking thru the manual... its like 6 pages long.

I can tell quite a bit from looking in the manual. It's only six pages long because there's not much to do. You build stuff and you run around collecting different colors to put on the stuff you build. That's about it.

Magic Pink on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kor wrote: »

I don't think you could tell anything by looking thru the manual... its like 6 pages long.

I can tell quite a bit from looking in the manual. It's only six pages long because there's not much to do. You build stuff and you run around collecting different colors to put on the stuff you build. That's about it.

Thats what I'm saying... Thats NOT it.

And literally, 6 pages. as in;

Page 1 - Licensing
    Page 2 - Table of contents
    Page 3 - Don't turn off your power while saving
    Page 4 - Actual Information
    Page 5 - Credits
    Page 6 - Backside of the cover

If you really think thats all there is to the game, I'm curious how many copies of Alpha Centauri you bought.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????