As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Dawn of the Final Day: 24 Hours Remain. GET. HYPE.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Preordered a while ago, did beta enough to know that I'll possibly start a Medic. Not sure how long that will last, as I'm prone to altitis. Still not sure what faction I'll roll.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    2 water references in one post. I guess you just wanted to go against the tide there..

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Large write up by Cougar on "What went wrong" with the name reservation system: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48967-name-reservation-roll-out-post-mortem/?findpost=492848

I'm a huge fan of just how open they are about their problems.

Good read, they even acknowledge that non-human activity (scripts, etc) was a real problem they had to deal with and not some insignificant factor as people were making it out to be.

Also they acknowledge that they had problems going on with their website that were their own and didn't blame everything on scripts as people were making it out to be.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Noizlanif wrote: »
    2 water references in one post. I guess you just wanted to go against the tide there..

Nah, probably just stream of consciousness writing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Large write up by Cougar on "What went wrong" with the name reservation system: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48967-name-reservation-roll-out-post-mortem/?findpost=492848

Good read, they even acknowledge that non-human activity (scripts, etc) was a real problem they had to deal with and not some insignificant factor as people were making it out to be.

Also they acknowledge that they had problems going on with their website that were their own and didn't blame everything on scripts as people were making it out to be.

Yes that's called PR. Because blaming your prospective player-base is generally considered a "bad idea" even if it's entirely justified. Nor did I ever "Blame everything on scripts" as you seem to remember incorrectly. I said it compounded the issues, which it did.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Considering 40's are supposed to be the tippity top?

I think only fool's have aspirations of 40 mans right now. They should be a reward for finally mastering 20 man's. You do it once a month after three months of doing 20's every/every-other week. After a few weeks of pounding down veteran events. The beta has shown that it isn't exactly easy to get even five guys together who can work this combat system.

40's exist. But you only do them once in a while, as a reward for breaking that skill ceiling in a big ass group. Most people are going stall on vets. At least I think. I could be wrong. I notoriously am.

I do think we'll get there, though. There's just enough interest, that there's a possibility we'll at least put 40 max level dudes inside the instance.

I hope we'll get to a point in six months where we're actually beating bosses inside that instance.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I read it the opposite way where they were saying that scripts added to the issue, but at the core it was their bad.

Also, oh god why are we talking about this again.

Here are some guildies dancing before the event last night. I brought some fish. Raz brought a box. ALL HAIL THE BOX.

n0zdrneiyy7p.jpg

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    I love my big orange and blue gloves. They just pop colorwise.

• Options
    Well.

That's 'cause orange is the best of colors.

• Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with just using a separate thread, as long as the OP is willing to keep a calendar updated.

Let me give you some anecdotal experience with: "A day in the life of Anon".

My job has a crazy schedule. I only know my real schedule about a week, maybe two, ahead of time. I also mostly work weekends, and sometimes late into the night. Now, I can easily and comfortably request these nights off, or just trade a shift or two with one of my co-workers.

I track my entire life on my google calendar, which sync's to every device and interface I own (including my work computer). I have had every WS weekend on it, and modified my work schedule around it because I wanted to make time to play. This applies to anything in my life, and it annoys my wife to no end that if she doesn't put something like "go out for cocktails on Friday night" on the calendar, I'll probably end up working because I didn't see the conflict.

As a fellow Google Calendar user, I cant second this enough. Between my schedule, my girlfriend's schedule, our respective time sharing schedules with kid's and exes, social events, work events....it would be damn near impossible to keep track of my life, much less in game events, without Calendar.

I could care less if Google Terminators know my schedule when the transcendence occurs. Put it on the Calendar, Google.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    All I ask is video of an engineer tank having a profanity laden meltdown while wearing the smiley robot face armor

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    One issue with the whole 'two threads thing' is... I'm fairly certain it's kind of a rule that you can only have one thread per game. Though WoW is the exception the non-general threads barely get used as it is.

I'd be down with a dedicated website for both guilds, which is linked at the Tippy-Top of the OP for our thread here. Of course I'm also the sort of person who if making an OP would put guild information first anyway.

@Anon the Felon‌ Calenders are good, your comment about GW2 does confuse me though as the schedule for guild events in that game has always been the same nights/time for as long as I can remember.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    That's why it's an anecdote @Arthil. It's my experience. You don't need to tell me what I did wrong, it's in the past. I don't always read every post, and I don't always read every post as soon as it's posted. I don't always remember what I've read, and I don't always feel like doing something when it's suggested. It doesn't matter if it was every night at the same time, my awareness of it was insufficient.

It's gotta be in my face and shouting, for me to pay it any mind.

Monkey brain and all that.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Yes that's called PR. Because blaming your prospective player-base is generally considered a "bad idea" even if it's entirely justified. Nor did I ever "Blame everything on scripts" as you seem to remember incorrectly. I said it compounded the issues, which it did.

It still sounds like you're blaming the website users/customers entirely.

I don't agree at all, I accept their apology - but not just as a nice sentiment. The actual information in the apology certainly sounds accurate, both the parts where they mention scripts but also all the issues with the site.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume we'll be at least dipping our feet into 20 mans to test the waters on that front. As for 40mans, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Dis, I'd be down for this. I mean, back in the day Beasts could field 3 Karazhan runs at the same time. Man those were the days.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Ops week details! https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49028-ops-week-faq/?findpost=493862

Basically, whenever they need testing anyone can hop on and help.

• Options

It still sounds like you're blaming the website users/customers entirely.

I don't agree at all, I accept their apology - but not just as a nice sentiment. The actually information in the apology certainly sounds accurate, both the parts where they mention scripts but also all the issues with the site.

I blamed the people who ran the scripts for compounding an issue further because of their own naivete and shortsightedness. Because that is exactly what they did. Being that I don't work for Wildstar I have that luxury. At no point did I ever blame them for "everything" however, that is your own misinterpretation in an attempt to argue with a position I never held.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I was attempting to clarify your position, not strawman you. So thanks for clarifying.

I do get tired of the knee-jerk position that many gamers put out that absolves profit-driven companies of all responsibility for their own business and places the blame on "those damn ungrateful gamers". I'm glad that's not what you're doing.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Can we just say that the problem with the name reservation was the fault of the website not being built correctly, which is the essence of the explanation, and move on. The explanation clearly states the two issues that when combined created big wonder-twin powers of evil that essentially made it a luck of the draw. While the individuals hammering the site were the actually button pressers the issue was server side that ultimately caused the problem. Mistakes happen. There is no guarantee that if the system worked you would have got the name you were after anyway.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    So we are definitely having both guilds on different servers?

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Oh hell no, where did you get that idea from?

• Options
    Yeah, I thought they were going to be on the same server because we want shenanigans.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Can you have characters on both sides of the same server?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Can you have characters on both sides of the same server?

In beta you could, dunno about release.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, I thought they were going to be on the same server because we want shenanigans.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the intent, right? I can't wait for some Kriegbasen action!

Edit: Generally in mmos, PVE servers allow characters on either side in my experience.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I do dislike that it will basically limit me to a main and two alts on both sides. I don't plan on playing both sides a bunch at this point but anything could happen, and I really don't want to have to delete long standing characters. Do we expect them to eventually offer more character slots per server?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Time for another poll on what folks plan to do in the "elder" game? If one side has more interest in a particular thing, it might influence some to change ;)

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    The intent of the guilds is to *both* be on the same server. Which ever one that is, we do not know yet. More than likely it will be chosen by @kai_san, myself, and a couple others because we are going to be stupid and start at midnight the moment servers go live, and play until we beat the first adventure a few times.

we will spam the thread at that time where to go to form up.

the server *will* be a pvE server. There are no more polls or buts about it. This was figured out a month ago.

what a pvE server meant in beta was that you could have six characters from both factions in the same account. This should carry over to Live as well, but we don't know yet.

what this should allow, logistically, is an easier turnover, or folding of the guilds into the larger one, should/when the PA falloff occurs. I'm sure there are ways to transfer gold between characters so you are not completely starting from scratch.

this is what we have decided in order to have the longevity needed to keep playing the game in a two faction system as it stands right now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »

Oh hell no, where did you get that idea from?

From the OP, which had different servers listed for the Exiles and Dominion duders for the beta?
    I mean, I'm glad to hear, and hopefully everyone being on the same server helps with PA falloff (or...you know, that doesn't happen).
    I'm still torn on which faction I want to play first.

• Options
    I assumed they would announce the final server names before the game launches.

If they just say "ok all the servers are the same name except Nexus is now Plexus and we added these three" then would we go with Plexus? I would assume that it would remain the most populated server due to people returning to what is perceived as being the prime server.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    So I'm watching videos on twitch of some guy named Carthh raid and it's pretty cool. I don't know how good these guys are but the 20 man raid is very hard if these guys are good. But it's possible these guys aren't good and the 20 man raid isn't hard. It's so tough to really tell how hard the content is. And of course I haven't seen the 40 mans. I look forward to the game coming out and watching it on twitch I love watching top end guilds raid.

• Options
    Carthh at least is known to be very good, from what I understand. Trusted in the community for his esper class analysis to the point where the devs take notice on his balance concerns.

• Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    I preordered, but missed the beta. I'm hoping to get on during ops week to figure out what class to play. I haven't played a mmo since Warhammer Online beta/launch and never really got into wow (solo leveled a little back when it came out), so I'm kind of starting from scratch.

Other than theme is there any difference between the factions?

I'm not really into maximum leveling/grinding. I just want my minute to minute play to be fun, as I won't be getting very much game time these days. The gameplay videos of this make it look pretty awesome.

Also did anyone preorder from gamefly? I've never used them before, but got a coupon. My order says it's waiting for review, and that they need to call me to confirm. Calling their support number refers me to their website. Contacting support on the website resends an email I have already received from them, saying my order is under review. I do most of my game purchasing through steam and gog, and this seems like the most convoluted, ass backwards way to run an online store I have ever seen.

• Options

If they just say "ok all the servers are the same name except Nexus is now Plexus and we added these three" then would we go with Plexus? I would assume that it would remain the most populated server due to people returning to what is perceived as being the prime server.

From what they've said, we can expect the full server list a day or two ahead of headstart. Most likely they will have some server names still used but there will not be a Nexus for sure. They also (most likely) won't say "Nexus is now Plexus". Instead, my guess is it will just be a simple "These are the NA servers:" I very much doubt that they'll want to give the illusion that anything from beta actually carried over.

With that being said we should at the very least have the server list on the 30th so we can do a quick decision before launch and have time to get the information out.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

From what they've said, we can expect the full server list a day or two ahead of headstart. Most likely they will have some server names still used but there will not be a Nexus for sure. They also (most likely) won't say "Nexus is now Plexus". Instead, my guess is it will just be a simple "These are the NA servers:" I very much doubt that they'll want to give the illusion that anything from beta actually carried over.

With that being said we should at the very least have the server list on the 30th so we can do a quick decision before launch and have time to get the information out.

Don't you mean a quick poll?!?!?

• Options
    bamjo wrote: »
    I preordered, but missed the beta. I'm hoping to get on during ops week to figure out what class to play. I haven't played a mmo since Warhammer Online beta/launch and never really got into wow (solo leveled a little back when it came out), so I'm kind of starting from scratch.

Other than theme is there any difference between the factions?

I'm not really into maximum leveling/grinding. I just want my minute to minute play to be fun, as I won't be getting very much game time these days. The gameplay videos of this make it look pretty awesome.

Also did anyone preorder from gamefly? I've never used them before, but got a coupon. My order says it's waiting for review, and that they need to call me to confirm. Calling their support number refers me to their website. Contacting support on the website resends an email I have already received from them, saying my order is under review. I do most of my game purchasing through steam and gog, and this seems like the most convoluted, ass backwards way to run an online store I have ever seen.

I've never had something like that happen with Gamerfly(Or Direct2Drive before they were purchased by Gamefly). I'd call support and be more insistent on getting some answers, as I'm pretty sure you should receive your key already. Mind you, I've never had an order 'waiting for review' before which sounds flatout weird.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    No more polls, for this we should just make a quick executive decision on which PvE NA server sounds cool.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    No more polls, for this we should just make a quick executive decision on which PvE NA server sounds cool.

I don't know, that seems pretty out of character for us. We better take a poll on if we should do this poll, just in case.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    A decent shot of just how many people where loitering around.

qbt5hx014ile.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Corehealer wrote: »

Alright, in keeping with that spirit the guild name is Big Damn Heroes.

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.