As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DotA 2]You have triggered a hidden mine!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    They were looking strong against VG actually. Their next series will be against DK, which could be telling.

They are not favorites this year for sure, but they probably have a chance to do decently.

If anything, The International is a place for surprises. I hope we see a bunch of really cool teamcomps come out. My favorite so far was the super-push comp that Fnatic brought out recently

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    They were looking strong against VG actually. Their next series will be against DK, which could be telling.

They are not favorites this year for sure, but they probably have a chance to do decently.

If anything, The International is a place for surprises. I hope we see a bunch of really cool teamcomps come out. My favorite so far was the super-push comp that Fnatic brought out recently

Hoping people have some crazy comps planned out to use at the international, but we will see I guess. A few more tournaments before that as well.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Hoping people have some crazy comps planned out to use at the international, but we will see I guess. A few more tournaments before that as well.

Often big tournaments tend to develop their own meta, usually because one team finds a really successful strat, which sort of takes over all the drafts as teams either try to co-opt it for themselves, or draft against it.

The best of 5's always seem to get at least a few off the wall things though, since it's not the biggest deal if you blow one game.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I hadn't looked at Huskar since the UAM change a month or so ago. He's kinda got some interesting options now.

Desolator can make him a powerful tower pusher and have some increased aggression on heavier units. But I don't think that's the best option. It's Lifesteal that's the key. It basically makes the Ember Spears free to cast and can help offset the life drain from Armlet. Plus it'll stack with Eye of Skadi, and who doesn't love slow effects?

I think all guides have been updated to make lifesteal mandatory and I agree with it. I'm planning on working on some Huskar matches to add him to my umbrella of hereoes-I-can-play.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    So is it ok to report someone who last picks invoker after there is already a qop on the team who goes well if you aren't gonna let me mid i am gonna jungle invoker and sits there ignoring people?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Sounds like a solid bout of Communications Abuse.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It was already semi-mandatory to pick up Lifesteal on Huskar, you were just supposed to attack without burning spears when trying to manfight a carry where burn damage isn't significant, when hitting the pipe carrier, when your target was BKB'd up, and when you were low. The UAM change, unlike Ursa's, was more of a quality of life buff after basically having his agility growth removed from the game.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So is it ok to report someone who last picks invoker after there is already a qop on the team who goes well if you aren't gonna let me mid i am gonna jungle invoker and sits there ignoring people?

I think you guys were wrong not to let him mid. Invoker is a lot more likely to win mid against a wider range of heroes than a QoP, and QoP can still do well in the game without a solo lane too - Invoker has a much harder time if he isn't solooing.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I think you guys were wrong not to let him mid. Invoker is a lot more likely to win mid against a wider range of heroes than a QoP, and QoP can still do well in the game without a solo lane too - Invoker has a much harder time if he isn't solooing.

I've always been under the impression if you pick last you don't get to butt your way in if someone else already took it. And even then if he'd asked maybe but he just went straight into douche mode and did the afk jungle bit instead of laning with someone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    That's besides the point though.

If QoP has already called mid and picked then tough luck, suck it up and play something other than mid.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »

If QoP has already called mid and picked then tough luck, suck it up and play something other than mid.

right, he was the jerk. I don't dispute that.

however, once he's done it, the cat is out of the bag and you have to decide whether teaching him a lesson (unlikely) or winning the game is more important, and if it's the latter, having the invoker mid over the QoP is the better choice.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular

however, once he's done it, the cat is out of the bag and you have to decide whether teaching him a lesson (unlikely) or winning the game is more important, and if it's the latter, having the invoker mid over the QoP is the better choice.

i flip a coin each time this happens to decide whether its the reasonable approach or the don't negotiate with terrorists approach. depends on my mood I guess

• Options

Or just hope after enough reports for his attitude he gets banned instead of rewarding someone throwing a temper tantrum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also I think QoP is a better mid than Invoker to begin with; she's way more capable of harassing out and competing for runes than invoker is, unless your opponent walks into slow ass short range tornadoes.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty matchup dependent.

• Options
    I don't even see why you would contest runes as invoker. Shouldn't be buying a bottle anyway

• Options
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I think it's pretty matchup dependent.

Exactly invoker has a lot more good match ups than queen of pain

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    because exort invoker can just send forge spirits to deny them all.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    That's kind of the point, though; plenty of mids are super dangerous with runes or rely heavily on either bottle crowing or runing to survive, and bottle crowing isn't super efficient and rapidly becomes uncommon as you go more pubbie. The fact that QoP can almost undoubtably stop that, and puts serious hurt on you for attempting, and can use the runes to significantly threaten a sidelane even before six, gives her advantages on a large number of mids. This relies on a rune ward, since QoP without knowledge of which rune is playing a coin toss.

EDIT: I don't see too much QE invoker, but yeah he can control runes pretty well if he wins the coinflip or the opponent isn't positioned right.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Actually denying runes with forge spirit is something I really need to start doing more.

I have a bad habit that I developed of not actually casting that spell until I reached the point where I'll have two of them.

• Options
    Do people always get angry if you push hard against their late game team? Just finished a game as lycan with necro, warlock, visage, and eldar titan against BS, Tinker, Slark, Slardar, and doom and the other team was super salty about us pushing hard.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Good games tonight.

Not sure I get support Wraith King. But I also think we just hit some really good players. That Shadow Shaman was a perfect counter to our very aggressive trilane and he was good at preventing out ganks. I think I should of focused on that blink but I wasn't able to really lock down any of them during the fights.

Also fuck terror blade.

Game before though I think by the end I was getting the hang of this new Windrunner trend. Blink shackle is the light.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Good games tonight.

Not sure I get support Wraith King. But I also think we just hit some really good players. That Shadow Shaman was a perfect counter to our very aggressive trilane and he was good at preventing out ganks. I think I should of focused on that blink but I wasn't able to really lock down any of them during the fights.

Also fuck terror blade.

Game before though I think by the end I was getting the hang of this new Windrunner trend. Blink shackle is the light.

What is "support WK" supposed to be? Let people get the last hits but you hang around as insurance or something to prevent ganks? WK can certainly farm up better than most supports I can think of so money isn't as bad an issue for gearing up.

• Options
    EventHEventH Registered User regular
    Support WK is there to stun and initiate + die so his team can rush in, cause his ult slows both move and attack speeds by 75% in a massive area. It's crippling to fight into and can make setup easy for other aoe spells like AA ult, seer vac + wall, black hole, etc.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    You've got a stun+slow so early on you can go ganking with another support.

Not super useful in a 2v2 lane situation though, so it's quite match-up dependent.

I used to try and be super accommodating.

Now I figure if they're that much of a baby in the draft something is probably gonna set them off in the game, so let them throw their tantrum and LP queue will hopefully sort them out eventually. It's not worth trying to appease someone like that.

• Options
    I discovered with Huskar that you can leave Armlet on with little consequence. Turning it off though, ouch (there is a health loss associated with the conversion, I don't care what anyone says but it's right there).

I definitely appreciated the moment when I got jumped by 3 of the enemy team (we were winning) and I burned down Slardar, their one durable, just for shits and giggles long before dying.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Well ya, the health loss is all the health you gain when armlet is toggled on, also the health removal from losing the 25 strength.

One thing I just thought of for orb attacks, is there a way to toggle them on or off without right clicking on them? I find it annoying having to mouse to the skill instead of having a shortcut on the keyboard for it.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    What is "support WK" supposed to be? Let people get the last hits but you hang around as insurance or something to prevent ganks? WK can certainly farm up better than most supports I can think of so money isn't as bad an issue for gearing up.

Starting off, you basically just skill Wraithfire Blast and Vampiric Aura, for the low-cooldown ranged stun and life steal. This is an ideal setup for a carry partner who wants sustainability in lane and some good opportunities for early ganks. You can skill up Mortal Strike later, of course; it just isn't especially needed early game. And like @EventH said, you can initiate for your team by running in and forcing a Reincarnation in the middle of a group of enemies. Its absolute hell trying to fight in that shit.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Well ya, the health loss is all the health you gain when armlet is toggled on, also the health removal from losing the 25 strength.

One thing I just thought of for orb attacks, is there a way to toggle them on or off without right clicking on them? I find it annoying having to mouse to the skill instead of having a shortcut on the keyboard for it.

Yeah it's in the options, keybinds. At the binds for abilties there's 2 extra pages of autocast and smart cast, use the autocast to toggle em.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I discovered with Huskar that you can leave Armlet on with little consequence. Turning it off though, ouch (there is a health loss associated with the conversion, I don't care what anyone says but it's right there).

I definitely appreciated the moment when I got jumped by 3 of the enemy team (we were winning) and I burned down Slardar, their one durable, just for shits and giggles long before dying.

@Henroid Most of the time when people are talking about Armlet toggling, they are talking about a very specific situation: the armlet hero is running away from someone that does not have a big nuke, or fast enough right click damage to kill the armlet hero in between toggles. Let me give you an example with completely made up numbers.

You are down to 200 hp. The hero chasing you does 100 hp per auto attack. The instant that he hits you with an auto attack, you turn off your armlet and are down to 1 hp. You quickly turn it back on, gain 25 str and get about 500 hp before the next auto attack hits. You can then repeat this process over and over again. The only way he kills you is if he can catch you between armlet toggles, or can do 500+ damage at once.

• Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »

Alt and the ability key should toggle it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Do people always get angry if you push hard against their late game team? Just finished a game as lycan with necro, warlock, visage, and eldar titan against BS, Tinker, Slark, Slardar, and doom and the other team was super salty about us pushing hard.

Anything you do that wins you the game can and will be considered try hard-ing.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    So what is the accepted build for ember post nerf? He is one of my compendium heroes and might try rather than reroll him
    Did chains and fist first and went drums arcane maelstrom deadalus but it didn't seem optim

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    As per this thread on the dota2 dev forum.
    We are making some improvements to matchmaking to put players with similar play styles together. For example, players who repeatedly abandon games before they begin, or intentionally throw the match. We want to make sure these sorts of players can more easily find each other, to increase everybody's enjoyment of the game.

• Options
    Blendtec wrote: »
    We are making some improvements to matchmaking to put players with similar play styles together. For example, players who repeatedly abandon games before they begin, or intentionally throw the match. We want to make sure these sorts of players can more easily find each other, to increase everybody's enjoyment of the game.

the fact that this is not a post by itself but is in fact a response to an apparent game-dodger who posted about not being able to find any opponents in matchmaking is HILARIOUS

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    This news disturbs and annoys me.

Like, they've made it so you don't get an abandon if you dodge. Why not just change that if you don't want people to do it? I'm talking about leaving the game before everyone has loaded, before you even get to the pick screen.

Unfortunately, the times and places I queue means I get this constantly. It seems like it's the same few dozen people getting matched with each other over and over again, so if they play with someone one game and that person was nothing but a troll feeder, they're quite likely to get matched with that same player in their next game, and if they end up on the same team, they will dodge, and probably keep dodging until that person stops queuing, is on the other team, or gets into a different game. Hell, a week or two back I had to do that. Dodged about 3 games in a row to avoid someone who lost mid and started throwing the game. Since Valve won't do that xbl thing where you can put people on a personal banlist, that sort of thing is just going to happen. I'll take one loss like that and I will laugh it off; it doesn't bother me at all. There is no other recourse available besides letting the game load and taking the full abandon, which is even worse.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote: »

If this system is truly implemented I will be pleased as shit.

• Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    So the immortals are out.

Annnnd I put 10 dollars into my compendium. Goddamit Kev... Still, got Tinker and Storm Spirits, which were two of the ones I wanted. Have Pucks and Death Prophets too.

Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hmm...immortals are out.

I am almost level 7.

I really want the Lion and Windrunner ones.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I got puck, DP, Sniper, Stormspirit. I really really want Dragon Knight's. I'd trade puck or stormspirit for it if anyone would want. :p

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.