As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom hates us. New Megaman Legends... FOR CELLPHONES

PataPata Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
Pata on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Those fuckers. BRING BACK TRONNE BONNE

Magic Pink on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Those fuckers. BRING BACK TRONNE BONNE

And Teasel! I love that wacky family of techno-pirates.

Just so I can get myself nice and depressed, this is a completely new game with new material, right?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just so I can get myself nice and depressed, this is a completely new game with new material, right?

Yup

Pata on
  • OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What the hell? First Parasite Eve and now MM Legends. Why do companies think its a good idea to make highly demanded sequels for cell phones?

We don't have awesome cell phones like you, Japan!

Still I wonder if Inafune is actually working on this. He did say he wanted to make a Legends sequel.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Could be ported to the DS....

Captain Crunch on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Someone somewhere should organize a massive "STOP BUYING CELL PHONE GAMES JAPAN" campaign. Because fuck, they're ripping the chance to play all those awesome games right away from us.

Seriously, Before Crisis looks totally awesome. I wish they'd bring it to DS. :(

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is fucking stupid.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    This is fucking stupid.

It's less stupid if you consider the fact that cell phones in Japan are at least five times awesomer than the average U.S. cell phone.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    This is fucking stupid.

It's less stupid if you consider the fact that cell phones in Japan are at least five times awesomer than the average U.S. cell phone.

That still doesn't explain why they don't just put the game on the DS.

Couscous on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Because Capcom hates us.

Pata on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's not stupid for Capcom to do this, it just sucks for us. I'd love a Legends PSP game.

Kaputa on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was going to post this earlier, but didn't want to ruin anyone's weekend.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I cheer while weeping tears of blood at the same time.

Digito on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    this blows goats

Garlic Bread on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Otsego wrote: »
    Actually,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7889728&postcount=81

The cell phones that can play these types of games are out there in the US Market (BREW 3.0+ platforms, etc.).

The problem is that Americans don't upgrade their mobile phones as often as the Japanese do, so more Japanese people have better phones and thus it is more profitable to develop better looking/playing games in that kind of environment.

I don't understand the negativity for mobile games, though. It's perfect for quick games that you'll have on hand. Not everyone brings their DS everywhere, but quite a lot bring their cellphones everywhere. And there's quality games to be found as well.

Wasn't there a topic exactly like this for Resident Evil 4 Mobile?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cellphones are tiny. Therefore, they have tiny controls, ill suited for any game, let alone 3D megaman.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CUUUUURSE YOU CAPCOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

Also, I would personally pay good money for a cellphone that was designed, in some fashion, to be able to play all these wacky crazy cellphone games decently and comfortably. Some kind of expandable gamepad, or even just a good crosspad control with a rotatable screen.

yalborap on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    CUUUUURSE YOU CAPCOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

Also, I would personally pay good money for a cellphone that was designed, in some fashion, to be able to play all these wacky crazy cellphone games decently and comfortably. Some kind of expandable gamepad, or even just a good crosspad control with a rotatable screen.

YOU FOOL! DO YOU REALIZE THE EXTENT OF THE SLEEPING POWERS YOU JUST UNLEASHED?
    200px-Nokia_N-Gage.png

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really fucking hate the idea of cell phone video games. I don't care if Japanese phones are a million times more awesome than ours, why would you waste a perfectly good brand new game idea on a cell phone?

Snork on
    edited September 2007
    Cellphones are tiny. Therefore, they have tiny controls, ill suited for any game, let alone 3D megaman.

There are larger phones you can get, if your hands aren't suited for your current tiny one.

For trivia games and turn based games like Doom RPG, you can take all the time to control things precisely.

For more action oriented games like Resident Evil: The Missions, you can turn and shoot with relative ease.

For really action oriented games...well, let's just say I can bust out Zangief spinning piledrivers in Street Fighter II and I can beat Mega Man II on mobile phones.

They're more suited to gaming than you think. People just aren't used to gaming on them as much as they have in Japan.

That's why Japan gets Mega Man Legends and Resident Evil 4 on their mobile phones.

edited September 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    I really fucking hate the idea of cell phone video games. I don't care if Japanese phones are a million times more awesome than ours, why would you waste a perfectly good brand new game idea on a cell phone?

What do you hate about mobile games?

The mobile game market is huge in Japan, and it's growing quickly in the US.

Mobile is relatively quick to develop for, and it can gauge interest for a new console edition for a game, while generating good profit.

Mobile gaming is great for those who don't carry their DS's and PSP's around, because everyone has a cell phone. It's perfect for quick gaming while waiting in line or on the bus and whatnot.

Mobile games also allow for genres and ideas that just wouldn't work on consoles (i.e. camera targeting).

These games are designed for mobile, so there's no waste of an idea at all.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd assume it's because there are a lot more of them out there, which leads to hats made out of money and all that. Japan loves its DSes, but there are still a lot more cell phones than DSes over there, right? I'm the only person I know without a cell phone, and the things caught on even earlier over in Asia, so the potential market must be crazy, I'd think.

Orogogus on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the problem is that while almost everyone has a cell phone....almost NO ONE has a cell phone that wouldn't suck pure ass to play games on. After all, they aren't built to control games. They're built to be, you know, phones.

Maybe this is different in Japan, but they don't do so hot anywhere else in the world. Else we'd all be laughing our asses off at the DS and PSP whilst going to town on our Ngages.

JihadJesus on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It just seems to me that however optimised a cell phone might be for playing a game, it's still a cell phone and the game is still the secondary function. Camera targeting sounds cool, but I could see that working for the DS with some kind of Boktai-like attachment much better. I don't know.

Snork on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What the hell? First Parasite Eve and now MM Legends. Why do companies think its a good idea to make highly demanded sequels for cell phones?

I'd imagine because it'd be dirt cheap to make compared to a real sequel and a lot of people would buy it in Japan.

Clevinger on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Still I wonder if Inafune is actually working on this. He did say he wanted to make a Legends sequel.

Parasite Eve? WHAT?!

Magus` on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It just seems to me that however optimised a cell phone might be for playing a game, it's still a cell phone and the game is still the secondary function. Camera targeting sounds cool, but I could see that working for the DS with some kind of Boktai-like attachment much better. I don't know.

A Boktai sort of attachment immediately strikes me as a much worse solution, since you're holding the DS with two hands instead of one; basically, would I rather be swinging around something shaped more like a Sixaxis or a Wii remote?

Orogogus on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My roommate's PS2 broke, so he threw it away...my copy of MML in it. :-(

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

Parasite Eve? WHAT?!

There is a new Parasite Eve game coming out for cell phones.

Couscous on
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

Parasite Eve? WHAT?!

There is a new Parasite Eve game coming out for cell phones.
    Captain Context Clues...

Awaaaaaaay!

Blitz Rawket on