As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] - I heard the next game is a monologue about misogyny. Oh wait.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If you have a Wii U, you can also get it there, and play on the game pad.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    $50 for Trilogy is expensive?
    Granted, that's almost the price of a new game, but it's cheaper than what's on eBay. Unfortunately. I did spend like a week looking around, and really couldn't find anywhere cheaper. But it's still Gamespot, so....
    The cheapest I've seen it anywhere, online or otherwise. was around $80. Go for it, man.

GameStop currently has it in stock online for $50 so everyone should pick it up.

Cheapest price anywhere too. Seems odd until you consider GameStop's strategy of "oh hey, we somehow stumbled on a big pile of this long out-of-print game in a warehouse! You can buy it from us for $80!" blew up in their face something fierce. Same thing with Xenoblade.

I saw one the other day at GS, but didn't used to come in a cool metal case? The one I saw was in a plastic case. Maybe that has something to do with the cheaper price?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I do not have a Wii U. I currently only have a Wii. I've thought about trying to look for old Gamecube games (as my Wii has the ports for the Gamecube controllers), but I am interested by all three Metroid Prime games having Wii controls. I still haven't walked in to my local EB Games to see if they have any stock, but the Canadian sites do not even list the game online.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Granted, that's almost the price of a new game, but it's cheaper than what's on eBay. Unfortunately. I did spend like a week looking around, and really couldn't find anywhere cheaper. But it's still Gamespot, so....
    The cheapest I've seen it anywhere, online or otherwise. was around $80. Go for it, man.

GameStop currently has it in stock online for $50 so everyone should pick it up.

Cheapest price anywhere too. Seems odd until you consider GameStop's strategy of "oh hey, we somehow stumbled on a big pile of this long out-of-print game in a warehouse! You can buy it from us for $80!" blew up in their face something fierce. Same thing with Xenoblade.

I saw one the other day at GS, but didn't used to come in a cool metal case? The one I saw was in a plastic case. Maybe that has something to do with the cheaper price?

The first run was a metal case, but they later re-released it in a normal case. It's the reason it's no longer as rare.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    socks wrote: »
    I do not have a Wii U. I currently only have a Wii. I've thought about trying to look for old Gamecube games (as my Wii has the ports for the Gamecube controllers), but I am interested by all three Metroid Prime games having Wii controls. I still haven't walked in to my local EB Games to see if they have any stock, but the Canadian sites do not even list the game online.

Go to the Wii store (Virtual Console) and purchase Super Metroid for... $8 I believe. Proceed to having a great time.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

The Gamestop ones are a new print run but they were being ratfucks at first, opening them then selling them as used for the ebay price of $80. Did the same thing with Xenoblade. Didn't work out so well for them so now they're both $40 like they should have been to start. @socks try hitting up some Gamestops around you. The ones in my area all have multiple copies. Even if you've got to drive a little it's well worth it. MP1 with motion controls was the most fun I've had in a long time with a game. The sense of wonder and exploration in that game, well, just find a way to get it man. You'll thank me later.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Well, looks like the anticipated or dreaded (depending on outlook) moment could be arriving in future. Will Metroid go back to being awesome or continue with Samus being a ridiculous abuse victim? As long as they tell Sakamoto to fuck off, there is hope.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Well, looks like the anticipated or dreaded (depending on outlook) moment could be arriving in future. Will Metroid go back to being awesome or continue with Samus being a ridiculous abuse victim? As long as they tell Sakamoto to fuck off, there is hope.

I'm gonna be honest and say I don't really care, I just want more Metroid.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

As someone who loved Other M regardless of the game's problems, I'm quite looking forward to what they do next. I personally hope we have two games coming, a new Prime style Metroid for the WiiU and a 2D follow up to Fusion for the 3DS.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but excusing Other M is pretty awful of people. It was a bad Metroid game and it was awful narratively for what it did to a long-standing character.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'd love it if the next set of games aren't shackled to Zero Mission's art style. I never really liked that style (especially the zero suit) and Samus's design stuck out badly when it was forced into the otherwise gorgeous Prime games.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm sorry but excusing Other M is pretty awful of people. It was a bad Metroid game and it was awful narratively for what it did to a long-standing character.

Disregarding others opinions is pretty awful of people too.

Just sayin... :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's narrative is objectively harmful. I can't speak for the gameplay, but only on its story and how that's presented.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Normally I'd agree.

But Other M is, like Justin Bieber or lite beer, pretty objectively awful.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Normally I'd agree.

But Other M is, like Justin Bieber or lite beer, pretty objectively awful.

Oh, I'm not disputing the story being terrible, because it is.

But the game itself is fun and I enjoy it quite a bit. Also, after the first playthrough, you can skip the cutscenes.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Think about what Metroid games are. Now think about Other M's gameplay and if it fit that design structure at all. (It didn't)

That's what I mean when I say it's a bad Metroid game.

• Options
    Meh, the gameplay was fun, plain and simple.

The 2D/3D gameplay was pretty spot on to what I figured a 3D third person Metroid would be like, it just needs to use an analogue stick next time. You collected missile/health upgrades like normal as well as unlock abilities. You fight creatures and periodic bosses.

That is all normal Metroid.

The main differences was the 'point at the screen to shoot missiles' which was a nice experiment, but didn't work that well in tense situations. The game's story was bloated with cut scenes and it was poorly told and terribly written. Also Sakamoto wanted to do something different than 'remove all of Samus' stuff and have her start over' so he came up with the authorization thing, which while I admire his desire to change the formula, the way he did it was terrible.

Basically other than the one thing, all of the terrible things were not gameplay related. The gameplay was classic Metroid in a 3D space. The gameplay was great and I've played through the game multiple times because it's fun. My opinion isn't wrong, stop trying to tell me it is because of your hate for the game. :)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    You couldn't heal unless you performed a crazy Street Fighter-esce combo at "I'm going to die in two hits" level of health only. The gameplay was not really good....

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm not saying that it's my favorite Metroid, heck it's my least favorite, but I did enjoy it and there is nothing wrong with that.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I'm not saying that it's my favorite Metroid, heck it's my least favorite, but I did enjoy it.

It was fun enough for me to beat it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    So awful Other M aside, Sakamoto's still out and it sounds like they're planning both a Prime-style and a sidescroller title, so maybe there's hope for the good ship Metroid. Guess we'll see.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Yea, Sakamoto said that he wouldn't be involved in the next Metroid...so there is that.

I would love for them to hand off the 2D version to another unknown studio and see what happens. It worked for Retro.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    They should give it to Nigoro :D

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The good news with Sakamato not being involved is that the next Metroid game is, at least, not guaranteed to be a pile of revolting ass.

I mean, Nintendo gave him the reigns for Other M so the next game could still be crap if they make a similar mistake with another group, but the potential for awesomeness is still there. I don't expect anything as amazing as MP1, but that's a pretty high bar anyway.

• Options
    The good news with Sakamato not being involved is that the next Metroid game is, at least, not guaranteed to be a pile of revolting ass.

I mean, Nintendo gave him the reigns for Other M so the next game could still be crap if they make a similar mistake with another group, but the potential for awesomeness is still there. I don't expect anything as amazing as MP1, but that's a pretty high bar anyway.

If nothing else I doubt the next guy will be able to tell the usually-stellar localization teams to go fuck themselves.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I have hopes that the next Metroid will avoid the mistakes of the previous one. Mostly because of how fast it dropped in price. I've never seen a Nintendo game do that.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    It's narrative is objectively harmful. I can't speak for the gameplay, but only on its story and how that's presented.

The story is just a terrible steaming pile, agreed, but "objectively harmful"? Unless there's been some pretty damn groundbreaking neurological research on the effects of media on the human brain very recently, it's still "subjectively harmful."

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

The story is just a terrible steaming pile, agreed, but "objectively harmful"? Unless there's been some pretty damn groundbreaking neurological research on the effects of media on the human brain very recently, it's still "subjectively harmful."
    Hyperbole?

• Options
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I have hopes that the next Metroid will avoid the mistakes of the previous one. Mostly because of how fast it dropped in price. I've never seen a Nintendo game do that.

Well, obscure, bad-selling stuff like Excitebots and such do. But yeah, Other M is the highest-profile one to plunge.

I mean, it didn't sell horribly (If I'm remembering right it cracked 200,000 or so in the first month) but poor word of mouth killed second-month sales and it didn't get anywhere close to what Nintendo was expecting.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not getting into it.

• Options

It romanticizes abusive relationships and "corrects" the perception that a female lead is strong and independent.

So yes, it is harmful media.

Anyway I didn't know Sakamoto said he's not involved in the next game. Hopefully neither is Team Ninja. I want Samus restored to glory please.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The retail stores in my area must be crazy, because I still see copies of Other M priced $40 and up, and they are sealed in plastic anti-theft cases alongside budget titles that are bare.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

Yeah, given that they're talking about making a new one and aren't mentioning Other M at all they probably have some idea of why that game failed.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    The retail stores in my area must be crazy, because I still see copies of Other M priced $40 and up, and they are sealed in plastic anti-theft cases alongside budget titles that are bare.

Yep, they are.

Ten bucks at Amazon.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Anyway I didn't know Sakamoto said he's not involved in the next game. Hopefully neither is Team Ninja. I want Samus restored to glory please.

Oh, don't worry, Team Ninja has moved onto the Zelda series.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    It romanticizes abusive relationships and "corrects" the perception that a female lead is strong and independent.

People have been trying to prove that media romanticizing negative behavior causes demonstrable harm for decades, if not centuries.

Batman comics lead to youth crime? Nope. Violent video games lead to school shootings? No way. Dungeons and Dragons leads to devil worship? C'mon. Rap leads to gang violence? FFS. But Other M leads to ... what, real-world abusive relationships? Sure, that one we're gonna buy. Just because we don't like Other M and we agree on the value of fighting sexism doesn't make it true this time.

Vaguely defined "harm" is really just a thinly-veiled "But think of the kids!" argument that turns a matter of opinion where reasonable people might disagree into a matter of moral imperative.

So no, it might be subjectively dumb or lousy media, but it's not objectively harmful media.

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options

People have been trying to prove that media romanticizing negative behavior causes demonstrable harm for decades, if not centuries.

Batman comics lead to youth crime? Nope. Violent video games lead to school shootings? No way. Dungeons and Dragons leads to devil worship? C'mon. Rap leads to gang violence? FFS. But Other M leads to ... what, real-world abusive relationships? Sure, that one we're gonna buy. Just because we don't like Other M and we agree on the value of fighting sexism doesn't make it true this time.

Vaguely defined "harm" is really just a thinly-veiled "But think of the kids!" argument that turns a matter of opinion where reasonable people might disagree into a matter of moral imperative, and I find that pretty insufferable.

So no, it might be subjectively dumb or lousy media, but it's not objectively harmful media.

I hate to break it to you but media does have an effect on society (and vice versa to be fair).

Not all instances are true. But those exceptions don't mean the media isn't capable of having an affect.

I don't believe video games make people violent, for example. But I do think video games, in hand with other media, push weird gender identity shit on people. Also Japan is fucked up when it comes to views on women. They're a number of decades behind.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Guys. Guys.

Let's just all agree that Sakamoto wrote a rotten bag of poop with some pretty stupid bigoted garbage in there and hung it around the neck of a very well-liked independent lead female character, and that him not being involved means that, by definition, the next Metroid game will inherently have better writing than his Metroid game.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Samus needs to be retconned back to the way she was in Super Metroid. This is the shape of her suit in Super Metroid:
    supermetroid_%2814%29.png

And the figurine Nintendo plans to sell:
    kc9gw15ze457.jpg

Nintendo is going the wrong fucking direction.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Can we pretend Other M doesn't exist and move on?

My thinking is we will get a 2.5D Metroid on 3DS and a Prime style Metroid on Wii U at some point in the future. Hopefully Retro is handling one or both of these.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.