As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah I agree. Original Sin is not bad by any means. It does some interesting things and it isn't everywhere which is nice. It's not what I'd call great and certainly Aaron can do better but I think that it's more in comparison to the many quality books being made by Marvel right now that OS comes off somewhat shabbily. And Deodato's art doesn't help, that guy needs to step away from the poser.

It feels like this is an event because events are things that Marvel does, rather than because it really needs to be. I could have been happy with this being a Nova crossover with some Avengers book, really. Which is not unusual for a Marvel event, because Fear Itself was the same. But Fear Itself was also pretty bad, whereas this wavers between alright to pretty cool, so I'm good.

Plus it's not over yet, it could really go places. Aaron can do it.

Overall my rankings of big Marvel events is currently

Annihilation
    Infinity
    House of M
    Siege
    Secret Invasion
    Age of Ultron
    Fear Itself
    Civil War

I'd say that Original Sin is currently around House of M so that's not a bad place to be. Though it is fair to say that other than Annihilation and Infinity, I didn't really, properly enjoy any of those events, all the way down to active dislike. Though Axis and End of Everything look like they will both be solid indeed.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    EoE hasn't been confirmed as an event book yet correct? Hopefully they'll let Hickman write the whole thing in Avengers, New, and World.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think Original sin is also being hurt by the fact Avengers/New Avengers and Uncanny Xmen are both doing much better 'Events' at the same time, while being self contained to their titles.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I think Original sin is also being hurt by the fact Avengers/New Avengers and Uncanny Xmen are both doing much better 'Events' at the same time, while being self contained to their titles.

Which is pretty much what I was saying.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I've liked the Original Sin tie-in issues I've read, but the main book just leaves me cold. Perhaps a good explanation will be coming, but at this point the wacky make up of the various teams strikes me as hard to justify in-universe. And I've never been a big fan of "let's have the heroes utterly forget how to communicate so we can have them fight" which pretty much describes the latest issue.

cckerberos.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I actually felt the other way, where when I was finished with this week's Original Sin I thought it was great how all the hero fights seemed pretty justified and it was snowballing out of control.
    Everyone figures out something is up at roughly the same time, moments after Bucky beheads Fury and leaves.

So you have Wolverine and Hulk there, when Strange and Punisher show up, and obviously suspect the two rage filled heroes standing over the dismembered body of Fury as the culprits. Fight breaks out, with good reason. Because even Wolvie and Hulk saying "This isn't what it looks like" doesn't hold a lot of water when you see what they saw.

Then they get to the moon, and you have Bucky show up, with Fury's head, and another "This isn't what it looks like." Fight breaks out.

THEN you have Gamora and Moon Knight show up, just to get Bucky for totally screwing them, and they obviously clash with the more "established" heroes who are already like "We got this, leave your petty fight with him out of this."

I dunno, to me it felt like a pretty natural escalation when everyone at once realized they couldn't trust anyone, coupled with people showing up with parts of Fury all the time.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Can we all agree that this new look for Dazzler is the worst thing ever?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/poll-what-do-you-think-of-dazzlers-new-look

camo_sig2.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was like "Hey, it's more dazzler, how could that possibly be bad."

"Oh. oh. :("

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I actually don't think I hate it. It's definitely better than what she's been in for the past while.

I haven't really been following the book (I have a pile of them sitting by my couch) but I assume it reflects some sort of change (likely temporary) in her character. Essentially, no big deal.

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    I just think it's weird that Bendis appears to be going back to the punk rock Dazzler he introduced in his run on Ultimate X-Men. When I think Dazzler, I don't think grim & gritty, that's for sure. I kind of liked the idea of a mature Dazzler working with SHIELD.

camo_sig2.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It's funny, I don't often hear about terrible redesigns for Marvel characters.

That look seems drastic. I'd almost expect it was originally intended for a different character.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    To be fair, Dazzler's been through some shitty times lately and there's plenty for her to be angry ragey about.

I'm not a big fan of the look but in the context of where she is at the moment, it's pretty appropriate I guess.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan, but if certainly fits Dazzler's current situation and it's not like it won't get changed to something classically Dazzler in three years or whatever.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Punk Rock Dazzler looks way better than disco dazzler

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    And both are way better than the look she had in Excalibur.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    it's only going to last until Gillen's solo Dazzler book is announced anyways

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Actually, except for the dyed hair, this reminds me of Dazzler's Age of X look from a few years ago.

And, I'll be honest, Dazzler going through a Punk/Metal phase could be fun. Especially if everyone is constantly shaking their heads and telling her it just doesn't work for her.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    She did say she wanted really loud music during the last issue of UXM. Might as well dress the part.

steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You can have really loud good music though! She looks like she just had the feels with Linkin Park, yuck.

Desecrating beautiful blonde hair with spiky black hair is worse than her late 80's Belinda Carlisle look!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The face/hair design is decent.

Sometimes I think about a comic book character's look, and think about if this is something they put on everyday or what. "I'm gonna put on my two-thirds of a shirt, the same half-ruined shirt I always wear." Does it sound plausible? That's the question.

An undamaged version of that look, without the Coathanger Mouth facial expression, could be solid.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    It's funny, I don't often hear about terrible redesigns for Marvel characters.

That look seems drastic. I'd almost expect it was originally intended for a different character.

No way

it's basically Ultimate Dazzler

Here's another thing about Dazzler. She's always been super trendy. That look would be considered pretty trendy these days whereas her other look- not so much. Ergo, I think it's perfect for her.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm am 100% on board for angry punk dazzler

sorry haters

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I like punk Dazzler as an idea, but the design seems very much like a middle-aged dude's idea of what punk is.

Like, the whole idea seems to be BLACK + HOLES + SCOWL = PUNK

That kind of IS punk...

Munch wrote: »
    I like punk Dazzler as an idea, but the design seems very much like a middle-aged dude's idea of what punk is.

To be fair, it's also seems to be what 90s of current punks' idea of punk is

[/bitteroldpunk]

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

which is weird because Kris Anka's like, 26 or something

That's not punk. That's just punks.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I for one look forward to Alison Blaire's next crust 7" split

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I hate Dazzler's new look. I like to think she's angry on that cover because Juggernaut punched her into a Hot Topic and all their shit got stuck on her.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    That kind of IS punk...

Well, from an outsider's perspective, punk fashion seems pretty variable.

I mean, I could see Dazzler rocking the dayglo neon punk look. Or even something simpler, like a dress with a cool print, sneakers, and a leather jacket, as something of a practical/armored look.

I could even see her in some kind of Janelle Monae SUIT + TIE + FUNKY HAIR look, if they wanted to cast their eyes in a different musical direction, for inspiration.

Personally, I still kind of like the X-Treme X-Men Dazzler, that had disco ball-inspired bracers and shin guards. But even that leaned really heavily on having black for the bulk of the costume.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I for one look forward to Alison Blaire's next crust 7" split

Hopefully she's gearing up for the "take a shit onstage" phase of her career

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Marvel75b.jpg

Marvel Launches 75th Anniversary Anthology with Bruce Timm, Brian Bendis, Paolo Rivera, Stan Lee, and More
    Comics have been pretty big on celebrating their 75th Anniversary celebrations lately. Last year it was Superman’s debut in Action Comics #1 that got the nod and this year it’s Batman and his first appearance in Detective Comics #27, but there’s one more that’s coming up, so prepare to strap on your party hats and cut the cake: This October marks 75 years since the debut of Marvel Comics #1.

To mark the occasion, Marvel is putting together an anthology called Marvel 75th Anniversary Celebration #1, featuring creators like Stan Lee, Bruce Timm, Brian Michael Bendis, Chris Samnee, Stan Goldberg and more taking a look back at various eras from the company’s history, wrapped up in a cover by Paolo Rivera.

Among the new stories in 75th Anniversary will be “Captain America Foils The Traitor’s Revenge,” an adaptation by legendary animator and comics artist Bruce Timm of a text story from Captain America Comics #3 that was written by Stan Lee as his first work for Marvel Comics. Current Fantastic Four writer James Robinson and artist Chris Samnee will also be doing their take on the original Fantastic Four #1, the story that kicked off the modern-day Marvel Universe.
    Perhaps most notable of the entire lineup, Brian Bendis and Michael Gaydos will be returning to the character they created in Alias, Jessica Jones, for a story where she “investigates cases with connections to the history of the Marvel Universe.” Given that Jones has become both a fan-favorite character and is set to star in one of Marvel’s Netflix original shows, that’s a pretty interesting way to combine the past and future of the company.

Other creators involved include Len Wein, Paul Gulacy, and Stan Goldberg, who, in a career that began in 1949, has actually worked in every era of Marvel’s existence, starting in the Golden Age and helping to define the look of Marvel’s Silver Age rebirth as a colorist.

Marvel 75th Anniversary Celebration #1 will be out this October, matching the cover date of Marvel Comics #1.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I hate Dazzler's new look. I like to think she's angry on that cover because Juggernaut punched her into a Hot Topic and all their shit got stuck on her.

Cain would never punch one of his favourite singers.

J949XJk.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Oh god, now I want to see Juggernaut get a job as Dazzler's bodyguard.

Rhino is another fan (Simone's Deadpool), so she could have them both as bodyguards.

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    I would read a series of Rhino and Juggernaut trying to be bodyguards together. Dealing with mundane bodyguard stuff like crazy fans and paparazzi.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'd say that Original Sin is currently around House of M so that's not a bad place to be. Though it is fair to say that other than Annihilation and Infinity, I didn't really, properly enjoy any of those events, all the way down to active dislike. Though Axis and End of Everything look like they will both be solid indeed.

Original Sin's latest issue has called into question the canonicity of Secret Warriors. That's a huge...sin.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Original Sin's latest issue has called into question the canonicity of Secret Warriors. That's a huge...sin.
    No it doesn't.
    Secret Warriors Fury was an LMD but judging from the fact that Old Fury has an army of them and they obey him, chances are he knew everything LMD Fury was doing and either approved or was pulling his strings

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2014
    So it seems the dust settled on that Starlin/Marvel.. er.. dust up...
    I would like to let folks know that Marvel and I will be doing further work together. Details on future projects will have to wait until a more appropriate time. Just wanted everyone to know that all is good.
    Posted with a picture of Silver Surfer, fyi.
    Marvel and I have settled our differences on Adam Warlock and he will be appearing, along with Thanos and other characters, in all three of the graphic novels I am doing with Marvel.
    Three novels? Unless he's referring to Thanos Annual and/or Savage Hulk, that means two more graphic novels from Starlin! Shame that it seems they're all going to be Thanos related though.
    I know I've done a bit of Marvel-bashing on this page in the past. But times change. David Bogart has arranged for Marvel fly Sonny and I out to LA for the premiere of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. How can you stay mad at a company that does that? This is going to be very cool and I will post pics! See you at the movies!

Undead Scottsman on