As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Sales Numbers 3: We <3 Analysts

• Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It doesnt seem very useful to compare game sales to movie sales. You cant preorder a theater ticket months in advance (that I know of), and supply is rather limited to seats which is more harder to come by than copies of games (if desired)

Dr Mario Kart on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Leitner wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Thread wins for best title ever.

and to be somewhat on topic, what are the halo 3 sales predictions? Are there any or do they pretty much predict "the Moon"

2 million first day

this isnt an exagerration either

[tiny]jet set radio on wii soon[/tiny]
    Halo 2 did 2.5 million on the first day.

I think this one will hit 3 million.
    Despite half the install base?

Yes. It's the very definition of console seller. Also it's predicted to be the best selliing first day entertainment release in history. Which kind of hints at it being bigger then Halo 2.

"Over 1.25 million pre-orders for Halo 3 have been placed globally, and it is expected to set entertainment records by selling more copies in the US on its first day of release than any other game or movie in history. " - Daily Telegraph
    And these people making the predictions,
    They're the same kind of people who predicted the PS3 would win this generation, yes?

Half the damn install base.
    It will not outsell Halo 2.

Xagarath on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Thread wins for best title ever.

and to be somewhat on topic, what are the halo 3 sales predictions? Are there any or do they pretty much predict "the Moon"

2 million first day

this isnt an exagerration either

[tiny]jet set radio on wii soon[/tiny]
    Halo 2 did 2.5 million on the first day.

I think this one will hit 3 million.
    Despite half the install base?

Yes. It's the very definition of console seller. Also it's predicted to be the best selliing first day entertainment release in history. Which kind of hints at it being bigger then Halo 2.

"Over 1.25 million pre-orders for Halo 3 have been placed globally, and it is expected to set entertainment records by selling more copies in the US on its first day of release than any other game or movie in history. " - Daily Telegraph
    And these people making the predictions,
    They're the same kind of people who predicted the PS3 would win this generation, yes?

Half the damn install base.
    It will not outsell Halo 2.

No they're not, the Telegraph has always been rather accurate with their predictions.

You're also ignoring the fact that the install base may be lower then it was, but given the rather weak line up I'd bet a rather large number bought the console in anticipation of Halo 3, meaning it's going to sell more copies percentage wise then Halo 2. But I guess we don't have long to wait to see which of us is right do we?

Leitner on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It doesnt seem very useful to compare game sales to movie sales. You cant preorder a theater ticket months in advance (that I know of), and supply is rather limited to seats which is more harder to come by than copies of games (if desired)

Agreed, DVD sales would be a more apt comparison and I highly doubt Halo 3 will get even near some of the best selling DVDs (then again, it won't get anywhere near the best selling games either).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited September 2007

Agreed, DVD sales would be a more apt comparison and I highly doubt Halo 3 will get even near some of the best selling DVDs (then again, it won't get anywhere near the best selling games either).

Sarcasm? Because if it's near to Halo 2 it'll still rank as one of the best selling games ever. By best selling I mean one of the top twenty most sold games ever.

Leitner on
    edited September 2007

Sarcasm? Because if it's near to Halo 2 it'll still rank as one of the best selling games ever. By best selling I mean one of the top twenty most sold games ever.

Actually, according to vgcharts (which I agree can be doubtful but it's still the best thing we've got) Halo 2 is the 32nd best selling game of all time. Hell, last gen Gran Turismo 3 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas nearly sold twice as much as Halo 2 did (include the XB and PC San Andreas sales and it probably is).

Halo 3 will sell really well but it's not going to suddenly become the best selling game evar!

Unco-ordinated on
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe they should release 3 different versions of Halo 3 where each version has different monsters in the campaign that can be traded for with other versions. Or they could give you a limited selection of weapons, and you have to trade for the rest.

It might get further up the best selling games list.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
    edited September 2007

Actually, according to vgcharts (which I agree can be doubtful but it's still the best thing we've got) Halo 2 is the 32nd best selling game of all time. Hell, last gen Gran Turismo 3 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas nearly sold twice as much as Halo 2 did (include the XB and PC San Andreas sales and it probably is).

Halo 3 will sell really well but it's not going to suddenly become the best selling game evar!

Wikipedia has Halo 2 as the eighteenth most sold game and about four million behind Sand Andreas. So less then half as much again, not nearly twice as much.

Leitner on
    edited September 2007

Wikipedia has Halo 2 as the eighteenth most sold game and about four million behind Sand Andreas. So less then half as much again, not nearly twice as much.

VGcharts may not be completely accurate but it's still a hell of a lot more reliable than Wikipedia. So sorry but I'm going to stick with the ~15 million numbers for GTA: SA (PS2 version) and GT3 and the ~8 million for Halo 2.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited September 2007

VGcharts may not be completely accurate but it's still a hell of a lot more reliable than Wikipedia. So sorry but I'm going to stick with the ~15 million numbers for GTA: SA (PS2 version) and GT3 and the ~8 million for Halo 2.

(February 2005) "Big Sales for Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas". GamePro (197): 24. Has Halo 2 at 9.2 million.

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Reports First Quarter Fiscal 2005 Financial Results. Take-Two Interactive (2005-03-03). Retrieved on 2006-11-26. Has Sandreas at 12 million for the PS2.

Leitner on
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Halo 2 has sold 9.2 million at this point.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't feel bad though, in another thread cloudeagle called Ninja Gaiden a huge series in Japan, when the original release didn't even sell 100k (in fact Sigma took about a month to outsell it). :lol:

Actually I was referring to the PS3 version. Plus both versions was enough to cause a significant spike in system sales. So, nyah.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wikipedia requires sources for their numbers. VGcharts pulls their numbers out of their ass.

Couscous on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The 1.25 million preorder figure, does anyone know how trustworthy it is? Because 6 weeks ago Microsoft said a million, and since only 250k? I figured it would be way more.

bruin on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What if the wikipedia sources are VGCharts!?!

P A R A D O X

tachyon on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VGChartz is banned from neoGAF for a reason.

That reason being all its data is made up.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    tachyon wrote: »
    What if the wikipedia sources are VGCharts!?!

P A R A D O X

VGcharts is banned as a source from wikipedia.

Couscous on
    edited September 2007
    (February 2005) "Big Sales for Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas". GamePro (197): 24. Has Halo 2 at 9.2 million.

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Reports First Quarter Fiscal 2005 Financial Results. Take-Two Interactive (2005-03-03). Retrieved on 2006-11-26. Has Sandreas at 12 million for the PS2.

Are there any sources you can find that I can actually read? Referencing a two year old magazine isn't exactly very helpful.

But assuming that Halo 2 sold 9.2 million and even excluding packed-in games (like Super Mario Bros and Tetris), Halo 2 still wouldn't be in the top 20 best selling games. Wikipedia's list excludes PC games, which means Halo 2 would be knocked out after The Sims and The Sims 2 were added to the list. So there.

As for San Andreas, that number is from two freaking years ago. It's not hard to believe that they've sold another couple of million in that time frame. In fact the San Andreas page mentions that as of June 2007, it's sold over 14 million (and even references another bloody magazine).

Also, the Gran Turismo 3 number they've got listed is wrong. According to Polyphony's own sales list GT3 has sold around 14.87 million and GT4 around 9.2 million (not including the Prologue and Concept's).

Unco-ordinated on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On a slight tangent, does anyone think that the sales boost from Halo 3 will be enough to put the hardware sales for the 360 back ahead of the Wii?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    On a slight tangent, does anyone think that the sales boost from Halo 3 will be enough to put the hardware sales for the 360 back ahead of the Wii?

I think it'll be really close, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen.

bruin on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe they should release 3 different versions of Halo 3 where each version has different monsters in the campaign that can be traded for with other versions. Or they could give you a limited selection of weapons, and you have to trade for the rest.

It might get further up the best selling games list.

I...I think I love you.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited September 2007

Are there any sources you can find that I can actually read? Referencing a two year old magazine isn't exactly very helpful.

As for San Andreas, that number is from two freaking years ago.

:|

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Don't feel bad though, in another thread cloudeagle called Ninja Gaiden a huge series in Japan, when the original release didn't even sell 100k (in fact Sigma took about a month to outsell it). :lol:

Actually I was referring to the PS3 version. Plus both versions was enough to cause a significant spike in system sales. So, nyah.

You specifically said that Ninja Gaiden was a huge name in Japan and the problem with that is none of the them have even managed to sell 100k over there (Sigma might be close though).

As for the spike in PS3 sales, it was probably due to how few good PS3 titles came out, rather than the actual game franchise itself.

bruin: While looking through Wikipedia, I did notice that Halo 2 supposedly recorded 1.5 million pre-orders (which I believe Microsoft also announced). Both could indeed be genuine or it might just be Microsoft spin. Who knows?

Unco-ordinated on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did anyone point out the the PSP seems to have enjoyed a 533% increase in sales over last week? Is this due to Final Fantasy, the release of the new PSP or both?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited September 2007
    I'd attribute all of that growth to Crisis Core.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Did anyone point out the the PSP seems to have enjoyed a 533% increase in sales over last week? Is this due to Final Fantasy, the release of the new PSP or both?

The Final Fantasy game is the reason for it. There was also a bundle that came with the game so a lot of people probably bought the bundle.

Couscous on
    edited September 2007
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything.

Xagarath on
    edited September 2007

Welcome to any encyclopedia ever. It's links, however, do tend to be reliable.

Leitner on
    edited September 2007

Other encyclopedias are not editable by anyone with an internet connection.

Xagarath on
    edited September 2007

You could not be more wrong.

The_Scarab on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

For a month until Mario comes out, sure.

Daedalus on
    edited September 2007

You have no way of backing up that statement.
    Because it's wrong.

Hell, EA edited it to make themselves look better.

Xagarath on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything. [citation needed]

LewieP on
    edited September 2007

Because it's wrong.

Ok, so you have shown example of one article which is unreliable out of nearly 2 million.

Do you fully understand the sheer amount of articles based on science, chemistry, history and whatnot that are 100% factually accurate. They account for well over half of all wikipedia articles.

What you SHOULD have said to not be wrong is 'Take all wikipedia articles with a grain of salt' because while ostensibly they are accurate they could be altered.

saying wikipedia is unreliable on everything is stupid and naive.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007

Because it's wrong.

And got found out rather quickly.

Yes, anyone can edit Wiki. And anyone can re-edit Wiki to fix the biased crap that appears, which is what those anal folks who police wiki do.

Inglorious Coyote on
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Could not have said it better. :lol:

The_Scarab on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Didn't some independent group find that Wikipedia is no less accurate than the average encyclopedia?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Could not have said it better. :lol:

hmm, this might have been better

LewieP on
    edited September 2007
    chasm wrote: »
    Didn't some independent group find that Wikipedia is no less accurate than the average encyclopedia?
    They found that it has less errors on average than the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Inglorious Coyote on
    edited September 2007

Other encyclopedias are not editable by anyone with an internet connection.

Which is why I'll use wikipedia over a standard encyclopedia any day of the week.

p.s. Wikipedia has been found in various studies to be as reliable facts wise as print encyclpedias, averaging the same number of errors in various samples.

Leitner on
This discussion has been closed.