As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Generally, dishwashers use less electricity than hand washing. Also they're a bit more sterile. It takes a lot of energy to heat up a giant vat of water and keep it hot. So using a lot of it to rinse and clean dishes means lots of energy.

Plus all that water you waste rinsing, scrubbing, and soaping it up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    dishwashers use very little electricity and they are much more hotwater efficienct than just running your faucet

the ONLY thing I could think of is maybe don't run the dry cycle and let them air dry... but you're talking about maybe a couple of dollars a month difference at the absolute most

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Gah. Housemate is bitching about me to other housemate because I use the dishwasher. It's a waste of electricity?

Except we don't have any hot water downstairs so no way in hell am I using cold water to wash plates and stuff that have had raw meat etc on them. I don't even switch it on unless it's full.

I don't get her problem. Her stuff goes in there too.

Then tell the housemate to start washing the dishes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Awesomed for use of the word 'whackadoos'

Whackadoos.

:D

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm not telling you to not use the dishwasher as you need hot water but:

These numbers depend on you just running the tap rather than filling the sink.

Secondly they say if you run the tap for two minutes you use less water overall. Two minutes is enough to fill a washing sink and a rinsing sink.

Finally, my personal issue with dish washing machine (which may not be relevant to you) but with only two people in the house, it takes several days to fill the dishwasher up with enough dishes to do a load efficiently, which is firstly gross and secondly means less available dishes overall.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    See?

Robots know.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Secondly they say if you run the tap for two minutes you use less water overall. Two minutes is enough to fill a washing sink and a rinsing sink.

Finally, my personal issue with dish washing machine (which may not be relevant to you) but with only two people in the house, it takes several days to fill the dishwasher up with enough dishes to do a load efficiently, which is firstly gross and secondly means less available dishes overall.

-I rinse stuff off
    -Hand-wash pots and pans so you have them when you need them, save the dishwasher for plates/cups/silverware that you should have tons of.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Oh yeah, that's the other thing, you should rinse plates before sticking them I there anyway, that's even more water!

And if you want to have tons of plates, knives and forks, that's fine, but no one should have to.

Blake T on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Woo, just closed on my old place, so no paying two mortgages at once. Woo!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Don't tell me you chumped out and got a dishwasher with one big washing cabinet instead of the style that has two drawers?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Heyyy couple fighting outside, I really hope you settled the whole "give me my stuff and let me leave vs give me my keys" debate for good. Also hope you were driving slower than you took off by that first speed bump. Ughh. Is it right to not call the cops till your reasonably sure someone is going to be/has been hurt, or do you do it once you've hit the yelling in the parking lot levels?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If there seems a pretty high likelihood of violence, a call to the local police station is not unwarranted, even if it just means that you're already on the phone if/when it escalates. There might be a car nearby that can swing in.

• Options
    We had just a single drawer in the old place, still lead to the same problem.

Also I will point out that the article's conclusion at the end agrees with me anyway. Although I disagree with most of their assumptions.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Cutting the grass when you're sick sucks.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    if we ever get a dishwasher I'd prefer a two-drawer one rather than one big one

but yeah even when we had a smaller, half-size dishwasher at our old place we struggled to fill it in a timely fashion

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    One of the best things about moving home was my parent's dishwasher.

Ah, the problems I had with my roommate and dishes... First, the soap she used wouldn't rinse off the dishes properly. She didn't notice it. But I became mysteriously ill with a "stomach bug" until my mom pointed out that she could taste the soap in the tea I made her when she visited. (I'd thought the food tasted funny but, having no sense of smell, couldn't figure out why.) When we washed the dishes with the brand of soap I'm used to, everything was fine. So I figured, hey, we just switch soaps.

But no, my roommate wouldn't just give up her bottle of soap, insisted that she was cleaning things fine and the soap was rinsing off. (Meanwhile, all of the dishes are failing a basic "squeak test.") When I explained the soap was making me physically ill, she suggested it might be good for me since I grew up in a "sterile environment" and probably needed to toughen up. My parents' house really is weirdly clean, and I do get told I need to "toughen up" and learn to tolerate heat & certain foods better by many people, so I didn't think she was being unreasonable at the time. But I really didn't like being ill all the time, so I got a second set of dishes from my grandfather. (The dishes my roommate was using actually belonged to my parents.) And a set of pots and pans, which were for my use only and were cleaned with my preferred brand of soap. I stopped feeling ill after eating.

For the next four months or so, we were using separate sets of kitchenware. Then my roommate admitted that my soap cleaned things better, and decided we could switch brands. But she did such a horrible job washing dishes (I'm talking food particles and stains still on the plates,) and behaved like a petulant child whenever I tried to talk to her about it. I wound up just waiting until she wasn't in the kitchen so I could rewash 'clean' dishes before I used them. Or I'd wait to wash my dishes until I was gonna cook again, so I wouldn't have to rewash her stuff.

Yeah. I'm glad I moved out.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You should toughen up and stop taking shit from idiots.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    The problem with prerinsing dishwashers isn't a dishwasher problem.

It's a "My landlord is a cheapass got the shitty $75 dishwasher" that-they-got-on-wholesale-with-20-other-dishwashers problem. The $500 dishwashers are like... a world of difference.

Seriously.

Plus you don't have to rinse if you scrape your food off your plate and don't leave gobs of cheese stuck on it and toss it in the sink like a shitty roommate does. Or my girlfriend.

How do you guys not go through a dishwasher load when you cook? Just for the two of us we can almost fill up a dishwasher in a sitting... but our pots and pans are dishwasher friendly, maybe that's the difference?

• Options
    I've never had a dishwasher, but I wash as I cook so there's never a build up of dishes to slog through. Also if I tend to cook things that don't use many dishes I guess. Then when I finish eating it's a quick swish under the hot tap with one of those sponge-with-handle-that-contains-dishwashing-liquid things. Stuff comes off easy when it's still warm.

• Options
    Yeah, we didn't get one in my parents place until we were 17, and even with four people, we didn't really use it that much.

Putting pots in them seem to me kinda wasteful? The pots themselves just take up so much space.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    This morning she told me its making funny noises so we should stop using it. Yeah nice try, it was fine yesterday evening when I went to bed.

My other problem is that the draining board and plastic holder for the wet dishes is absolutely filthy. I've cleaned it a few times but the others just pile things up sky high in it even when its dirty.

So their dishes are getting a quick rinse and lick of soap under a running tap, then being put onto a dirty draining board.

Sure they're clean...

• Options
    Yeah, we didn't get one in my parents place until we were 17, and even with four people, we didn't really use it that much.

Putting pots in them seem to me kinda wasteful? The pots themselves just take up so much space.

After washing dishes for 3 years of my life, I refuse to wash any by hand anymore.

Most of our pots fit on the top rack no problem, plenty of room. A few cups, a pot, a bowl, pan on the bottom rack with plates and silverware. Breakfast/lunch/dinner and it's full with 2 of us.

• Options
    And 3 years of dishes at fast food is a lot of dishes, because they'd leave them for the closers to clean, how nice!

• Options
    It's more fun/creative/dangerous/there's less dishes that pile up when you don't have a drainer thing. It's an art I learnt from my mum. Also the nicer the dishes, the less precarious you are about stacking them.

Mine get pretty high sometimes.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I generally clean pots and pans by hand, but for dishes the dishwasher is a no-brainer. Just bought a new one as the one at our new place sucks ass.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I hate washing dishes. I always have. We didn't have a dishwasher growing up, but I did have three sisters I was bossier than. Now I have a dishwasher and I put everything except the good knives and anything that specifically says "hand wash only" in there.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    It's more fun/creative/dangerous/there's less dishes that pile up when you don't have a drainer thing. It's an art I learnt from my mum. Also the nicer the dishes, the less precarious you are about stacking them.

Mine get pretty high sometimes.

IKEAs sets of earthenware crockery are very hardy, and cheap as chips.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    So the moving company has clarified that the actual window is the 14th to 31st. Which is still pretty large but more manageable

• Options
    Yeah only 16 days, what's wrong with you.

• Options
    How much stuff do you have? If it's a truckload or close to it, they'll be more likely to drop you off sooner, in order to free up the truck.
    If it's not that much (like me), they'll wait for it to be cost-effective for them to be in your area and do your work. Or wait until the very last day. Geesers.

Not that I'm bitter about living in an industrial airport hotel for an extra 2 weeks last January.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Seems like i've got about two months to find a place. man, I hope someone accidentally rents out a super nice flat at half what it's worth.

... could happen, right?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    over the weekend I found out what can stop a pushmower blade in its tracks

a steel wire dog leash. it took many cranks to get it to fire back up.

and after I ruined the dog leash, I went and cut my extension cord in two with my electric hedge trimmer

i got over-enthusiastic on the shrubs

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Last week we got crazy rain here, and our apartment started leaking through the carpet (coming UNDER the carpet, working it's way in), We're on the bottom floor/garden level, and it started near the walls to the outside of the building. At first, I thought I just knocked over a glass of water, but no, it kept coming.

We ended up moving all of our stuff as far away from the windows as we could. For the last 6 days we have had all of our stuff moved and piled into about 40% of the space of the apartment, with 2 of those days having a dehumidifier and fans running 24/7. It's been like living in an apartment less than half the size of what we actually have.... the space for the entire bedroom and half of the living room is there, it just isn't usable because it's all bare floor or piles of carpet no longer adhered to the floor.

Supposedly today and tomorrow they're coming to put in new padding (since they ripped out the old stuff) and re-stretch the carpet.

I'm hoping we get some kind of rent credit for the trouble, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    How much stuff do you have? If it's a truckload or close to it, they'll be more likely to drop you off sooner, in order to free up the truck.
    If it's not that much (like me), they'll wait for it to be cost-effective for them to be in your area and do your work. Or wait until the very last day. Geesers.

Not that I'm bitter about living in an industrial airport hotel for an extra 2 weeks last January.

If I'm ever moving across country I will take only what I can fit in a car.

Not even worth the hassle/cost tbh.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

2800lbs apparently, so not a truckful. Dozen boxes or so, bed, desk, some smaller furniture. I'll probably just get an air mattress or something to sleep on and fortunately I do want to get some more furniture for my new place anyway, so I'll have something there

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

That's what I did and I was glad for it. I also refused to rent an apartment I wasn't able to personally tour, so I lived in an extended stay for a month while I worked that out (which is much easier to do when you don't have a full apartment's worth of stuff on the way).

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Sometimes I'm just tempted to tell my family that I'm moving some place far away so they don't expect me to visit or so they won't visit me.

I think my parents have only gotten the time & money to visit my sister once since she moved up to Vermont and they've been there at least two years now. I just have to tell them it's some place that would be expensive to get to and not fun to visit...

And then in reality I'm only forty miles away.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

2800lbs apparently, so not a truckful. Dozen boxes or so, bed, desk, some smaller furniture. I'll probably just get an air mattress or something to sleep on and fortunately I do want to get some more furniture for my new place anyway, so I'll have something there

Yeah, that's about the situation I was in. Good luck.
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

That's what I did and I was glad for it. I also refused to rent an apartment I wasn't able to personally tour, so I lived in an extended stay for a month while I worked that out (which is much easier to do when you don't have a full apartment's worth of stuff on the way).

That's what I should have done! Now I'm in an apartment in a small do-nothing town 15 miles from work and 20 miles from the city. I get to fight 4 lanes of traffic between 20 and 80 minutes every morning. The apartment itself is nice enough, if boring, but gawd, what I wouldn't give to be further north.

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Last week we got crazy rain here, and our apartment started leaking through the carpet (coming UNDER the carpet, working it's way in), We're on the bottom floor/garden level, and it started near the walls to the outside of the building. At first, I thought I just knocked over a glass of water, but no, it kept coming.

We ended up moving all of our stuff as far away from the windows as we could. For the last 6 days we have had all of our stuff moved and piled into about 40% of the space of the apartment, with 2 of those days having a dehumidifier and fans running 24/7. It's been like living in an apartment less than half the size of what we actually have.... the space for the entire bedroom and half of the living room is there, it just isn't usable because it's all bare floor or piles of carpet no longer adhered to the floor.

Supposedly today and tomorrow they're coming to put in new padding (since they ripped out the old stuff) and re-stretch the carpet.

I'm hoping we get some kind of rent credit for the trouble, but I'm not holding my breath.
    That's the worst.

We had our place flood once but it was two story place and we could stash everything upstairs in the spare room.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.